View Full Version : DIY: Door Storage in safes

02-10-2007, 9:09 AM
For those of you with a Liberty or similar safe with fabric covering the inside of the door, I'll give you one idea for organizing and storing small items like magazines & speedloaders.

I bought one of the Liberty 17 cu ft safes from CostCo when it was on sale. One of the problems I have with pistols is storage & organizing spare magazines or speedloaders for the wheelguns. I came up with this solution:

Using inexpensive (cheap) nylon gear from gungear.com (http://www.gungear.com/) and some Velcro Industrial strength strips (4-ft x 2"w) cut to size, the holders were mounted to the door of the safe. You want to use the "industrial" grade adhesive Velcro to support the weight of any loaded mags you have. (The labels were done on a Brother P-touch labeler.)

I'm looking for a couple of bags/pouches in which I can store empty speedloaders and other small items. Something the size of a 20-rd M16 pouch might work for that.

02-10-2007, 10:18 AM

I'm doing the same thing. Ordering gun stuff....an excellent rainy day project.

Thanx for the idea!

02-12-2007, 7:16 AM
Big negative on the adhesive velcro, unless you're talking short-term use (less than two years). Eventually the adhesive will fail given the relatively heavy weight of loaded mags. Better to sew velcro on, but you need an industrial sewing machine to do that right. Shoe cobblers usually have that equipment and can do it.

Another factor to consider is the adhesive securing the door fabric will eventually fail too. One way around that is to use a couple heavy-duty staples to secure the fabric directly underneath where you'll attach the pouches. Place the staples near the top of where you'll attach the pouches since that's where the adhesive will fail first.

02-12-2007, 8:31 AM
Looks great - this'll free up a good chunk of shelf space!

02-12-2007, 8:32 AM
Excellent idea:)