PDA

View Full Version : Belts!

pklin1297
02-10-2007, 8:13 AM
Hello all,

Will be attending a tactical handgun training class offered by CAT in March and I am in the process of getting a belt/holster/mag carrier combo for this class. I have never participated in a class such as this, and have not had the need to get a holster for my guns so I am asking the forums help on this.

I plan to use either my Kimber full size or my Glock 35 for this class, and plan to get a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster and mag carriers. My question now is the belt. A friend of mine recently took the class and told me they had their gear on pretty much the whole day, so a quick on/off inner/outer belt combo is definitely not needed. What should I get? I've read some recommendations for Wilderness Instructor belts, would this be all I need?

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

MadMex
02-10-2007, 9:03 AM
It’s hard to go wrong with a Wilderness belt. Go for the extra stiff 5 stitch. I wear one 98% of the time. Be sure to add the appropriate extra length to accommodate the gear you plan to carry (two extra inches is usually sufficient for an IWB rig; potentially more if you plan on a mag carrier, flashlight, etc.).

norbs007
02-10-2007, 9:16 AM
+1 on the 5-stitch Wilderness Belt. I use it a lot in 3-gun matches and it works. Easy to adjust and can hold a good amount of load. I use Blade-Tech stuff with Tek-Lok on it.

pklin1297
02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
My holster will not be an IWB so if I just order according to Wilderness' measuring guideline I should be fine correct? The most I would have on that belt, depending on what classes I end up taking, will be a holster, a dual mag holder, and a flashlight holder, but since the blackhawk dual accessory plateform can be configured to hold two mags and a flashlight, I won't need additional belt "space" to accommodate.

Is there a need to go with Wilderness' combat belt with the polyethlyne insert for extra rigidity over the 5-stitch?

meangreen
02-10-2007, 9:26 PM
if there is a Turners near you I would recommend stopping by and taking a look at a Wilderness belt for yourself. the last time I was there they only carried the standard 3 stitch version, but at least you can try it on for size and get an idea if it will meet your needs.

LCAZES
02-11-2007, 7:12 AM
Why not go with an inner/outer belt setup? After competing for 5 years now, I dont see anyone who has been in the games for more than a year without at least considering a 2 piece system. I think you will find they have many advantages over a single belt and not really more expensive. The CR Speed system is under $50.00 and is the best out there. Aside from all of the minor conveniences gained with a 2 piece, you will find the biggest plus is that you set it up once and then never have to move the holster and pouches again. With a single belt system, the positioning is never the same twice.

rkt88edmo
02-11-2007, 10:36 AM
The 5 stitch should do just fine for you. I have a 1.5" instructors belt and a 1.5" frequent flyer both in 5-stitch and they work great. The frequent flyer is a lot lighter in the buckle and is what I would get if I was buying my first belt over again. I also have a 1.25" ring belt that I like a lot, but wouldn't recommend it for carrying a holster.

I wouldn't add length to your size unless you are going IWB (you noted you are not). The amount of adjustment is fairly generous.

3GunFunShooter
02-11-2007, 11:42 AM
+1 on the Wilderness. I have 2 Frequent Flyer, and serveral of the 5 stich in 1.75" I use them for IDPA,
USPSA and 3 gun, With Tec-Loc mag pouch and holsters, easy on, easy off.

MadMex
02-11-2007, 2:33 PM
Is there a need to go with Wilderness' combat belt with the polyethlyne insert for extra rigidity over the 5-stitch?
I once tried on a Wilderness belt with the insert. I found it too stiff. It reminded me of one of those lampshade collars vets use on dogs to keep them from messing with their stitches. I suppose if youíre carrying heavy stuff itís the ticket. Iím not sure what anybody elseís experience has been, however I found the 5 stitch a little too supple out of the box. It was much better once it molds to my contour and rig.

pklin1297
02-12-2007, 9:50 AM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

LCAZES: What is the full name of the CR speed system belt you mentioned?

meangreen
02-12-2007, 11:30 AM
forgot to mention this on my earlier post, but another option is a padded duty belt from Eagle Industries, especially if you think you are going to carry more than a holster and a couple of mag pouches. this system will help distribute the weight and won't dig into your skin...

pklin1297
02-12-2007, 6:27 PM
forgot to mention this on my earlier post, but another option is a padded duty belt from Eagle Industries, especially if you think you are going to carry more than a holster and a couple of mag pouches. this system will help distribute the weight and won't dig into your skin...

Thank you! I will give that a look also!

pklin1297
02-13-2007, 5:16 PM
Well... Got the CR Speed belts (inner and outer), Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster for Glock, CQC mag carriers today... Will see how well this rig feels, otherwise I'm ready for the tac pistol class. :) Thanks everyone for your suggestions/recommendations!

Raspy
02-14-2007, 6:15 PM
<><> I got here a little late to the
party----but,,,

www.thebeltman.net

================================

<><> Raspy <><>

ryball
02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm here a little late also, but check out John Willis (Original SOE). I just got one of his belts and it is incredible.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/welcome.html

google him or search his name on getoffthex.com for pics of his stuff.

Off topic, I also got one of his surefire M2 holsters and it is incredibly well crafted as well.

He can pretty much make anything you want. Sorry, I'm just really exited about getting his stuff. :D

1SGMAT
02-28-2007, 8:13 PM
Wilderness 5 stitch.