PDA

View Full Version : lending your ar15/ak rifle

CIV Tactical
10-13-2011, 1:55 PM
Im going backwoods dispersed camping an do not yet own my own rifle. can a friend of mine legally lend me his ar15 to use while im deep in the woods.

bloodhawke83
10-13-2011, 1:58 PM
yeah, as long your an adult and not a felon. have it in writing just in case he isn't around.

CIV Tactical
10-13-2011, 2:04 PM
thanks for the info... so many touchy laws in ca when it comes guns. I dont want to catch a felony for being uninformed.

greent
10-13-2011, 2:14 PM
Ya it is no problem, cops cannot look up serial numbers from long guns and determine whos gun it is like they can do here in cali with handguns. Only exception is if its a registered assault weapon. Those cannot be lent out legally. Make sure the ar obays basic cali laws and does not become a unregistered assault weapon. Have fun in the woods.

NorCalK9.com
10-13-2011, 2:15 PM
I loan rifles to close friends and family all the time when they go camping, please be better than them and clean it before returning it.

cabinetguy
10-13-2011, 2:19 PM
not 100%, but I think the lending timeframe is around 30 days. if you are going for a week, you are safe. think of it like a automobile, you can let a friend borrow your car, but if it goes on for a while, who really is driving the car. one clause,, dont be stupid. your chances of being harassed while doing normal things is slim

CIV Tactical
10-13-2011, 2:23 PM
How does an AR become an unregistered assault weapon. What if the AR to be lent to me is pre ban? Are 20 round clips ok or is it mandatory that any rifle in ca have nothing more than 10 round magazines..

Quiet
10-13-2011, 2:31 PM
How does an AR become an unregistered assault weapon.
When it is configured in such a way that it meets the definition of an "assault weapon" per CA laws. [PC 12276.1(a)]

What if the AR to be lent to me is pre ban?
Pre-ban or post-ban, does not make a difference under CA laws.
There are only CA legal semi-auto rifles, registered assault weapons (RAWs) or unregistered assault weapons.

CA legal semi-auto firearms can be legally loan to non-prohibited persons.
RAWs can not leave the presence of the registered owner.
Unregistered assault weapons are illegal to possess not matter what.

Are 20 round clips ok or is it mandatory that any rifle in ca have nothing more than 10 round magazines..
If the semi-auto centerfire rifle is configured as a "featureless" rifle, then you can legally use large capacity magazines in it.
If the semi-auto centerfire rifle is a RAW, then you can legally use large capacity magazines in it.
If the semi-auto centerfire rifle is configured as a fixed magazine rifle, then you can only legally use 10 round or less magazines in it.

ZX-10R
10-13-2011, 4:50 PM
My response is, it may be legal but I would not lend any of my guns to anyone. A friend lent a motorcycle to another friend and that bike came back in pieces.

Merc1138
10-13-2011, 4:55 PM
My response is, it may be legal but I would not lend any of my guns to anyone. A friend lent a motorcycle to another friend and that bike came back in pieces.

If it was your bike that your friend lent to someone else, find new friends.

If your friend lent his own bike to someone else, he needs to find new friends.

Yes, it is possible to have a group of friends that don't lie, cheat, break, steal, snitch, fail to return, etc. After a couple of years it becomes pretty easy to tell who is capable of being a screw up.

chead
10-13-2011, 5:18 PM
I don't think this is the OP's case but just to clarify: You cannot lend a RAW if you are not present.

goodlookin1
10-13-2011, 5:30 PM
Friends don't let friends borrow guns....

It's a saying for a reason!

I once took my buddies rifle to the range to put it on paper upon his request (he couldn't go that day). I brought it back to him after taking extreme care with it. He inspected it and found a new nick in the pretty wood! It wasn't me....I would have remembered, but it wasn't him either. So who knows.

Only do it if you're prepared to be responsible for any new nicks, dents, scratches, broken parts, etc.

Friends don't let friends borrow rifles.

CIV Tactical
10-13-2011, 6:45 PM
what defines a registered assault weapon, why is it different than cali legal assault type rifles. Im just a little confused i guess. Its good to know the ins and outs of these laws. Im pursuing a career as a gunsmith / reloader and knowledge of these laws is important. If some one brings me there RAW to be serviced how do you legally do the work.

Merc1138
10-13-2011, 7:43 PM
what defines a registered assault weapon, why is it different than cali legal assault type rifles. Im just a little confused i guess. Its good to know the ins and outs of these laws. Im pursuing a career as a gunsmith / reloader and knowledge of these laws is important. If some one brings me there RAW to be serviced how do you legally do the work.

A registered assault weapon would be... an assault weapon that has been registered. It's kinda of self explanatory. I suggest you do some serious reading through the CGF wiki, there is a link up at the top of the forum.

heycorey
10-13-2011, 8:04 PM

California passed an "assault weapons" ban in 2000. If you owned an AR (or other "assault weapon", as defined by the law), you had to register it by the end of 2000. I registered three AR's (lucky me).

Included in that law was a ban on hicap mags (more than 10 rounds).

Your friend can't loan you a pre-ban rifle, nor any hicap mags. If you borrow someone's "assault rifle", it needs to meet the current defacto requirements for a semi-auto rifle (ie, bullet button, 10-round mag, etc) ... while you're in the state of CA. Of course, if it meets those requirements, it isn't considered an "assault rifle".

You should read the information provided in the section called "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide" located in the top menu (above) of this web-site.

To work on a RAW in CA, you'd need to get the proper permits from the CA DOJ (not easily done) ... in addition to the appropriate FFL ... or work with someone who already has the right permits/licenses.

CIV Tactical
10-14-2011, 11:06 AM
California passed an "assault weapons" ban in 2000. If you owned an AR (or other "assault weapon", as defined by the law), you had to register it by the end of 2000. I registered three AR's (lucky me).

Included in that law was a ban on hicap mags (more than 10 rounds).

Your friend can't loan you a pre-ban rifle, nor any hicap mags. If you borrow someone's "assault rifle", it needs to meet the current defacto requirements for a semi-auto rifle (ie, bullet button, 10-round mag, etc) ... while you're in the state of CA. Of course, if it meets those requirements, it isn't considered an "assault rifle".

You should read the information provided in the section called "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide" located in the top menu (above) of this web-site.

To work on a RAW in CA, you'd need to get the proper permits from the CA DOJ (not easily done) ... in addition to the appropriate FFL ... or work with someone who already has the right permits/licenses.

thanks a bunch heycorey. Very helpful information.. the only stupid question is the one not asked. Does being a certified master gunsmith help me out when applying to the doj for the proper papers?