PDA

View Full Version : Military orders to LA, California

Marthor
10-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I have assignment orders (PCS) to LA, California next summer... 2012

I've been researching what all the laws are for me and it's very difficult. This site has been helpful on a lot of info. Here's what I have in my collection with a good variety for various uses like hunting, conceal carry, SHTF, target shooting, collecting and/or personal defense.

(Edited out)

I'm concerned about 6 of my firearms that appear to be banned or at least their magazine capacities. Check my signature below. Right now I plan on storing these at a relative's house out of state unless I can figure something else that is completely legal and doesn't cost anything.

My VA conceal carry permit will be no good in CA. I'm hoping for a quick National Right to Carry remedy soon on that.

I'm sure I'll be pretty active here since I'm moving to CA. Thanks.

TheExpertish
10-13-2011, 1:38 PM
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223

Welcome to the club. You'll either end up loving or hating it here. There doesn't seem to be any in between.

As far as the search function it doesn't work well for any of us so don't fret.

Out of your six worries I've highlighted the two that should be your only problem, especially your Bushmaster. You'll need to look into either registering it with CA DOJ as an assault weapon, or putting on bullet buttons or converting them to featureless. Those two key terms will give you some good search material here and google.

Don't worry about your magazines either. None of these guns are illegal to own and neither are the magazines.

That's the extent of my limited knowledge, and if I'm wrong or slightly off in some area someone will correct me.

den888
10-13-2011, 1:52 PM
Welcome!

SoCal Bob
10-13-2011, 3:19 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Your Mini-14 should be GTG if it is in its original configuration. Check the "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide" link toward the top of the page for specific details.

bsg
10-13-2011, 3:39 PM
welcome to the forum.

SCZ
10-13-2011, 3:42 PM
Hey, welcome to Calguns 8)

Marthor
10-13-2011, 4:32 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Your Mini-14 should be GTG if it is in its original configuration. Check the "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide" link toward the top of the page for specific details.

That's a really nice flowchart! Unfortunately, my original configuration has flash-suppressor since it's the tactical version and flows through to be an "assault weapon". Did I really just say that? :facepalm:
California thinking already has me going backward. My tac mini-14 is AWESOME, and the "unfortunate" part is the California law. Is it true that if I just detach the flash, then it's legal?

Does anyone know about my threaded barrel Ruger 22lr pistol. As I read it, any semi-auto handgun with threaded barrel is an "AW".

Is bringing my mags with me still considered "importing" even if there is no financial transaction or transfer? They're just mine and I'm not importing them to sell to anybody else.

Any help with those 3 questions?

Ricky-Ray
10-13-2011, 4:37 PM
Welcome. Of the six you listed, the only one I can be helpful with is the 92FS. Get some 10 rd mags and then your good to go. I think if you've owned the standard capacity mags prior to 2000, you ok to bring them in but I'm not 100% sure about that.

zod
10-13-2011, 5:45 PM
Welcome to the PRK and to Calguns.

hk-p2000
10-13-2011, 5:52 PM
[QUOTE=Marthor;7318527]Does anyone know about my threaded barrel Ruger 22lr pistol. As I read it, any semi-auto handgun with threaded barrel is an "AW".

QUOTE]

just buy a new barrel and replace the threaded

Excitable Boy
10-13-2011, 5:57 PM
You are not allowed to bring in assembled magazines over 10 rounds no matter when you first owned them. If you replace the flash suppressor on the Mini 14 and it is otherwise stock with a 10 round mag, it should be fine providing that it doesn't have a folding or pistol grip stock. The Bushmaster is probably a no go no matter how you modify it as I believe that they are banned by name on the ban list.

BlackTydeTactical
10-13-2011, 5:59 PM
Welcome aboard!

Kosuki
10-13-2011, 7:07 PM
Welcome to Cal guns. Love your gun choices

INJUNTOM
10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Welcome aboard

MOONDAWG
10-14-2011, 9:06 AM
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :thumbsup:

vintagearms
10-14-2011, 9:29 AM
Is bringing my mags with me still considered "importing" even if there is no financial transaction or transfer? They're just mine and I'm not importing them to sell to anybody else.

Any magazine in your possession over 10 rounds cannot be brought into this state, unless dissassembled and never reassembled in this state. Alot of guys on this board will try to get fancy with this interpretation but thats the law.

Sonny188
10-14-2011, 4:44 PM
Welcome!

baih777
10-14-2011, 5:34 PM
PM sent

Librarian
10-14-2011, 7:01 PM
You have most of it
-- cannot bring in the 10+ round mags assembled, so start looking for 10-rounders;

-- if the Bushmaster is marked "XM-15" on the lower, it's banned and cannot be brought in - but you can buy a stripped lower that is not banned, add a 'bullet button', and re-use all the parts and any upper.

-- Ruger Mini-14 in 'ordinary' dress is not a CA 'assault weapon' because it doesn't have 'features' - pistol grip, collapsible stock, and no 'flash suppressor'. The 'tactical' model, however is - unless you get a magazine locking device (http://www.riflegear.com/p-1061-defense-industries-ruger-mini-14-bullet-button.aspx) for it.

-- as military with PCS, you are exempt from reporting your handguns as a 'personal handgun importer' (until and unless you separate in CA)

Big Jake
10-15-2011, 7:07 AM
Welcome and thank you for your service to our country!

Wicked Pete
10-15-2011, 7:15 AM
I am always reluctant to list ALL things I own. This is an open forum and there are people (Govt., or those other kind of weirdos) that take copious notes. Just sayin.

Marthor
10-15-2011, 8:16 AM
I am always reluctant to list ALL things I own. This is an open forum and there are people (Govt., or those other kind of weirdos) that take copious notes. Just sayin.

Good idea. I only feel comfortable because I know the government can't handle 15 million illegal aliens, so they are probably just as incompetent if they try to take out 150 million gun owners in the US. :D

Marthor
10-15-2011, 9:00 AM
So, here's my plan now...

I already removed the flash-hider from the Mini-14. (That was very difficult by the way). I plan to replace it with a muzzle-brake instead. The mini will be good to go in CA.

I already have enough mags so I don't want to buy new mags. I still may disassemble the mags and store them disassembled or I may just store them all out of state. I do still have a question on the XDm mags. Will a full-size XD 45 10 round mag fit in a XDm? I'm finding conflicting testimonies on that online.

The 2 firearms that are out are the Bushmaster and the Ruger 22/45. Those will be stored out of state for sure. My 2nd amendment right is being infringed by California.

RickD427
10-15-2011, 9:26 AM
Marthor,

First of all, thank you much for your service.

Many of the above posters have given a good treatment to your rifles.

Please check out the status of the law carefully on your "Large-Capacity Feeding Devices" (AKA - Magazines holding more than 10 rounds). The law does not prohibit the possession of large capacity magazines. It is however a felony to manufacture, import or sell a large capacity magazine in the state. Please refer to Penal Code section 12020(a)(2).

Many LEO's (myself included) hold the belief that Penal Code section 31 would make you criminally liable if you purchase a large capacity magazine (without qualifying for one of the exemptions). The legal theory is that buying the magazine, you're facilitating the seller in the commission of the crime.

I would also make it a point to store your large capacity magazines out of state.

You don't need to concern yourself with the "approved weapon list" if you're importing weapons currently owned by you. They do need to be in a legal configuration. The threaded barrel on a semi-auto isn't legal in California.

Please be careful with your transportation and storage of your weapons. Los Angeles city has recently elected a city attorney who has a very rational approach to enforcement. Most other jurisdictions in Los Angeles County tend to be rather hostile to gun owners.

greybeard
10-15-2011, 9:29 AM
If I remember correctly the mags are the same for the 45 XD and 45 XDm. Calling springfield is probably the quickest and surest way to find out..

Marthor
10-15-2011, 9:56 AM
The threaded barrel on a semi-auto isn't legal in California.

If you're talking about my Ruger 22/45, I will be storing that out of state. :nuke:

I hope you're not talking about my mini-14, because I thought I was squared away to just get a muzzle brake instead of the flash-hider.

RickD427
10-15-2011, 11:23 AM
If you're talking about my Ruger 22/45, I will be storing that out of state. :nuke:

I hope you're not talking about my mini-14, because I thought I was squared away to just get a muzzle brake instead of the flash-hider.

Sir,

I was referring to the Ruger. The threaded barrel on a rifle is OK so long as you don't violate some other provision of law. The muzzle break will take away the "flash supressor" feature of your rifle.

Welcome to California. This state has much to offer and I hope that you enjoy your tour here.

DeanW66
10-21-2011, 3:31 PM
Welcome aboard!

Is bringing my mags with me still considered "importing" even if there is no financial transaction or transfer?

First: IANAL

In a word: yes. The highly technical will also say unless you had them in CA prior to 1/1/2000 for even a microsecond then they are a-ok. Or you could convert a few to 10-rounders. Try searching for mag-blocks or 10/30 conversions (use the google search, BTW).