PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing the right AR

nickel_1022
10-13-2011, 9:00 AM
Looking into CA legal AR 15, the local gun shops are recommending the DD V1. My dad says to stick with a major brand like S&W or Colt. I like the DD because the front is all rails and both shops said this is the one to go with. Whats your opinion and whats your reasoning. Thanks

pacifico23
10-13-2011, 9:04 AM
Daniel Defense! A better product then the sw mp15, although you still cant go wrong with a mp15. The colt AR-15's I don't bilieve are legal in Cali. Im pretty sure they are banned by name. Daniel Defense is one of the best AR rifles there is.

tacticalcity
10-13-2011, 9:05 AM
Daniel Defense is a major brand with military contracts.

Colt won't work, not as an entire rifle. Most their lowers are banned and the ones that are not cost upwards of $700 just for the lower, which from another brand would only cost $85. Plus they put you in jeapordy as no cop is going to know it's the one legal Colt so you're a lot more likely to end up before a judge...something that won't happen with a brand like Daniel Defense provided you configure it properly.

I like S&W. Very nice rifles and you can't go wrong with them. But Daniel Defense is actually a little higher end and more respected. So you're Dad is wrong on this one.

REPR
10-13-2011, 10:02 AM
What's your budget? :)

For me an AR usually boils down to do I like the look of the rifle and can I afford it. If I was on a budget I would probably get a spikes tactical and upgrade furniture later. Daniel Defense is a great quality rifle at a decent price point and looks better. But my favorite is LWRC, they run expensive but the quality/engineering is incredible. Plus they look sexy.

Honestly go with what you can afford, what looks good to you, and contains the features and furniture you want in an AR. Also do you want a monolithic rail? Do you intend to put a scope with backups or do you like a pinned front post? Will you want to replace the stock, grip, rails, etc.? Do you want DI or a gas piston? If so is it cheaper to just buy the more expensive rifle with all the features you desire already installed.

Just browse AR's at the gunshop and online and write out a list of what you like. You might find you prefer gas piston over DI, want a free floating rail, would like a two-stage trigger, or maybe you just want a lighter rifle, etc. Also ask yourself what you want out of your AR in terms of it's use as applies to you. So take your time, research companies and hopefully you'll find what's right for you.

dieselpower
10-13-2011, 5:41 PM
To help you choose the right AR we need to know what you are going to do with it and what you expect it to do for you.

What the logo on the side says is just High school look at me BS and has nothing to do with "the Right" AR15... unless you are looking to impress people with cool photos... then a cool flavor of the year roll mark and logo are needed.

Peter.Steele
10-13-2011, 6:22 PM
To help you choose the right AR we need to know what you are going to do with it and what you expect it to do for you.

What the logo on the side says is just High school look at me BS and has nothing to do with "the Right" AR15... unless you are looking to impress people with cool photos... then a cool flavor of the year roll mark and logo are needed.

This is true. Lowers is lowers is lowers, so long as it's milspec and forged. Pick a rollmark you like and get it.

Now, that said, there are some stupid looking rollmarks out there. I really wish that I'd made it to the store 10 minutes earlier when I bought mine ... I would have had a Sabre Defense instead of Doublestar, and for the same price. Guy bought the SD one, was still filling out the paperwork when I got there. The Doublestar lower is nice and all, but it's a stupid looking rollmark, and the text is all in this really dumb looking font. *sigh*

Sooner or later I'll get another one, though ... relegate this to the second-line rifle ...

nickel_1022
10-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey guys thanks for the info. Basicly this rifle is for paper and aluminum targets. I really like the AR with wrap around rails on the front and a good reputation. I guess my budget is around $1500. A local shop said the Del Ton M4 is a good option, while another local shop said not to get the Del Ton and look at a Spiker. However both shops said the DDV1 was the one to get but is definately more expensive. What are your thoughts to this? Thanks

dieselpower
10-14-2011, 11:19 AM
This is true. Lowers is lowers is lowers, so long as it's milspec and forged. Pick a rollmark you like and get it.

Now, that said, there are some stupid looking rollmarks out there. I really wish that I'd made it to the store 10 minutes earlier when I bought mine ... I would have had a Sabre Defense instead of Doublestar, and for the same price. Guy bought the SD one, was still filling out the paperwork when I got there. The Doublestar lower is nice and all, but it's a stupid looking rollmark, and the text is all in this really dumb looking font. *sigh*

Sooner or later I'll get another one, though ... relegate this to the second-line rifle ...

I agree. I do cringe everytime I see a DoubleStar lower...whoevers kid designed that logo needs to go to art school... and to the Owner of DoubleStar that allowed their 8 year old to design a Logo...:facepalm:

Hey guys thanks for the info. Basically this rifle is for paper and aluminum targets. I really like the AR with wrap around rails on the front and a good reputation. I guess my budget is around $1500. A local shop said the Del Ton M4 is a good option, while another local shop said not to get the Del Ton and look at a Spiker. However both shops said the DDV1 was the one to get but is definitely more expensive. What are your thoughts to this? Thanks

All three are the same quality and craftsmanship for the lowers.
Top slot goes to DD in terms of overall rifle construction. YMMV
The uppers on the other hand is a different story. I like 4140, CL, 1:9, 14.5" HBAR, which DD doesn't offer.
DTi depending on WHICH barrel is used can be just as good or better depending on what you are doing with it and which barrel is used. If you choose the wrong barrel...well? :(
Spikes is 100% mil-spec..nothing Fancy, no flash, exactly what the Military guys get without the auto-sear or third hole... Just like BCM, Colt, or FN...with a lifetime warranty to boot.
DTi is a limited lifetime warranty
DD has a "we will make it right" warranty.

awall919
10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
If the Daniel Defense in in your budget, I would got with that platform over S&W or Colt. All 3 are great manufacturers though. Good luck with your purchase, and I hope you are happy with whatever choice you make. But with your 3 choices you cant really go wrong.

evidens83
10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
With your budget the DD is an excellent choice! Or even LMT or Noveske!

dieselpower
10-14-2011, 11:30 AM
With your budget the DD is an excellent choice! Or even LMT or Noveske!

good point. $1500 isnt limited to the common guys. LMT or Noveske, even LWRC and Wilson Combat are in that price bucket for their lower end offerings.

When you say "$1500", do you mean complete firearm Out the Door after taxes & Fees? Are you putting money money aside for optics?

REPR
10-14-2011, 11:57 AM
For a first rifle just for target plinking I would probably not go for the DD. A Spikes or M&P15 would work fine for what you've got in mind. I think the M&P when on sale is around $650. With the money saved you can buy extra ammo and furniture for it later.

But once again because I just love their rifles I have to say LWRC. Just something to be said about receiving a rifle with little to nothing to improve(my opinion). More expensive than you're looking to spend but a pleasure to shoot, easy to maintain, longer lasting, extremely accurate, and just a beautiful rifle.

But again it comes back to what you want from your rifle.

someR1
10-14-2011, 11:58 AM
DPMS makes good uppers for a good price....if you can afford DD or Noveske, go for it