PDA

View Full Version : WWII NAZI 8x56 Ammo Reloadable?????

metalhead357
02-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Wondering a big wonder-

Bought some 8x56 WWII Nazi proofmark ammo....havent shot it yet and was wondering if this stuff is reloadable??????? keep hearing that 'factory' ammo for this round is either hard to come by or expensive once found & reloading definitely is the way to go on these beasts. Wondering if I should keep the cases or if they're tossers?

Still gearing up for reloading; any/all info on a decent powder etc. would be nice too if you're up to edmikating a newbie to this round.

Thanks

thedrickel
02-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Is that the stuff from century? I don't reload but from what I hear boxer primed stuff is much easier to reload than berdan primed.

metalhead357
02-10-2007, 12:16 AM
LOL! And the creator of my line of questioning arrives!

Nope, not Century, this batch I got from SOG.

Yep; I've always heard Boxer is much easier and Berdan is 98% of the time either not worth it or in crap cases definitely not safe to do it.....

I'd like to know before I go saving up the stuff and then find out I cant do jack with it.

Did find an interesting read on Re-shaping 54R cases to work....... so that might also be an option in the long run.

BTW- i still Absolutely LOVE the look of this rifle. I'm just aching to shoot the beast now!!!!!

grammaton76
02-10-2007, 1:23 AM
8x56... isn't 8mm mauser 7.92x57? If so, why'd they do a slightly different round?

Anyway, in case this really is just 8mm mauser... I'd look at Olympic. I think their ammo is boxer primed and thus readily reloadable.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-10-2007, 3:53 AM
8x56... isn't 8mm mauser 7.92x57? If so, why'd they do a slightly different round?

Austria still had bunches of their old M95/30 rifles in use with police forces and such when they became part of Germany. So they were still making the 8x56R ammo for the rifles at that time. The Nazi marked 8x56R ammo was made in Austria for Austrian rifles. But Austria was considered part of Germany then.

The surplus 8x56R is berdan primed and hard to reload. There isn't a steady supply of berdan primers available for reloading in the U.S.

tujungatoes
02-10-2007, 6:39 AM
I'm just getting ready to start loading this round too. I'm itchin to try out my new bruiser really bad. as I can't shoot the surplus(steel jacket)at my range:mad: . check out the steyr forum on surplusrifle.com. there's some loads listed in there, or if you buy a set of lee dies they will supply some load data. Also grafs has 8x56r brass and correct .330 bullets.

toes

metalhead357
02-10-2007, 7:33 AM
Thanks Amendment II...looks like it'll be buy time for cases then sometime in my future.

Thank you too tujungatoes for the mention of Grafs. I did some reading late into the night and saw some of that data I think you musta seen/know too saying the standard 8mm bullets apparently suck for accuracy in these things:( needing a .329-.330 diameter instead....

Guess I'm not the only one running into this- so I think I shoulda said in my last post I found the info about re-forming 54R ammo over at surplusrifles.com under the styer M95 (it was over on the right). They're also mentioning LEE makes some bullet molds too; never been a big fan of shooting stright lead but with a new .44 in my collection I see copious amounts of lead in my future if I to keep shooting and not break the bank!!

Gram~ Yeah....I thought that too when I was first looking at these things-- and even debated a while whether I shoulda put 8x56R instead of just 8x56 as I'm seeing it written both ways out there in cyber land. Its truly a once often used round that's unfortunately kinda dyed off. Always heard/read that 'ya just gotta own at least one truly odd-ball rifle, handgun, or round".....guess this is gonna be mine~ as everything else I own is pretty standard roundage......

thedrickel
02-10-2007, 2:48 PM
Ammo was my main reason for selling the rifle :(. I have enough trouble finding 7.5 swiss and 7mm mauser, so I didn't want to have another caliber of ammo that only goes with one rifle. Currently I'm trying to match C&R semi-autos with my stashes of surplus ammo (8mm and x54R). I just wish I'd gotten more 8mm when it was 50/900 from century.

I'm glad you're enjoying the project and will get some enjoyment out of the rifle (besides ogling that beauty of a stock - I wonder what kind of wood it is?). Have you tried the K31 yet?

metalhead357
02-10-2007, 3:46 PM
Ammo was my main reason for selling the rifle :(. I have enough trouble finding 7.5 swiss and 7mm mauser, so I didn't want to have another caliber of ammo that only goes with one rifle. Currently I'm trying to match C&R semi-autos with my stashes of surplus ammo (8mm and x54R). I just wish I'd gotten more 8mm when it was 50/900 from century.

I'm glad you're enjoying the project and will get some enjoyment out of the rifle (besides ogling that beauty of a stock - I wonder what kind of wood it is?). Have you tried the K31 yet?

Yeah! I'm understanding the ammo issue! Not alot to be had at the GS today:cool: . I did find/buy some Chez 54R for $80/1100 IIRC, and some 8mm at something like $90/760.

Unfortunately No, I havent yet found any ammo for the K31 yet....the guys at miwall looked at me funny when I asked:rolleyes: then the last guy came over and abasically said no- havent had any in a while. One guy a few table down had SP reloads but I'm holding out for the 'real' GP 11 if I can find it & find it at anything close to a reasonable price. DID find a k31 mag but it twuz aftermarket and they wanted $75:eek:

I *thought* I understood why peeeps re-loaded; I'm soooooo truly begining to understand the depths to which it is sometimes necessary!!!!!

crotter
01-20-2008, 1:06 AM
So, is this nazi stamped ammo really rare? I found a box of it at the gun show today and bought it cause I thought it was a cool collectors item.

I have considered picking up a Steyr M1895 but all I read is how difficult and expensive it is to shoot due to ammo availability?

There were still a few boxes left, and it was at a decent price, I'm wondering if I should go buy it all up in case I ever do pick up a Steyr.

CHRISTIAN

tankerman
01-20-2008, 6:57 AM
Guess I'm not the only one running into this- so I think I shoulda said in my last post I found the info about re-forming 54R

Gram~ Yeah....I thought that too when I was first looking at these things-- and even debated a while whether I shoulda put 8x56R instead of just 8x56 as I'm seeing it written both ways out there in cyber land.
Mr.Head,

You should also be able to make the case from 303 brit, not that it's any less expensive. (even 30 40 krag if you had to)

8x56r and 8x56 are not the same. I happen to own guns in both calibers and I can assure you that 8x56 is MUCH more expensive ($80 -$120 for 20 rounds, if you can find it) than 8x56r. The 8x56 was only ever chambered for one rifle and that the 1908 Mannlicher, the actual name of the round is 8x56 Mannlicher Schoenaur (see below;this is not as picture or mine) These rifles are built on the 1903 Mannlicher split bride action. Fortunately for me the 8x56MS can easily bb formed from 30 06 brass.
http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/089862000/89862957/pix266269703.jpg
Keep an eye out for the brass on the gun auction sites
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8440498
This link has 50 new pieces starting bid $22.

Also, I will dig around today if I have time, I have brass, bullets,dies and a grip of the surplus 8x56r. Will shoot you a PM when everything has been located, if you are interested.

Whiterook
01-20-2008, 8:03 PM
I have considered picking up a Steyr M1895 but all I read is how difficult and expensive it is to shoot due to ammo availability?

CHRISTIAN

I wouldent worry about it to much, the m95/34 kicks so hard that after 20 rounds i have had enough and step down to a 556 for the rest of the day. A little gos along ways in this rifle round combo.

metalhead357
01-21-2008, 5:53 AM
So, is this nazi stamped ammo really rare? I found a box of it at the gun show today and bought it cause I thought it was a cool collectors item.

There were still a few boxes left, and it was at a decent price, I'm wondering if I should go buy it all up in case I ever do pick up a Steyr.

CHRISTIAN

Having shot a LOT of calibers over the years...this stuff aint impossible to find---> but when found it CAN be expensive. It is considered obsolete & truly there aint anyone making new rounds that I've stumbled across ((And I've asked on several boards)) save for Bertram brass: but its running FORTY BUCKS for 20 rounds of Boxer primed reloadable brass.

I wouldent worry about it to much, the m95/34 kicks so hard that after 20 rounds i have had enough and step down to a 556 for the rest of the day. A little gos along ways in this rifle round combo

LOL! Now aint THAT the truth; some of the hardest hitting ammo I think I have....I dont think my 300 WinMag hits as hard!!!!!!

Mr.Head, HEY NOW!!!!!:p

You should also be able to make the case from 303 brit, not that it's any less expensive. (even 30 40 krag if you had to)

8x56r and 8x56 are not the same. I happen to own guns in both calibers and I can assure you that 8x56 is MUCH more expensive ($80 -$120 for 20 rounds, if you can find it) than 8x56r. The 8x56 was only ever chambered for one rifle and that the 1908 Mannlicher, the actual name of the round is 8x56 Mannlicher Schoenaur (see below;this is not as picture or mine) These rifles are built on the 1903 Mannlicher split bride action. Fortunately for me the 8x56MS can easily bb formed from 30 06 brass.

thank you for that: the 56 vs the 56R is one of the first things I stumbled across as well as the bullet diameter being truly different than <other> 8mm rounds having (((IIRC))) a .329 diameter instead of the norm. I was even having troubles finding bullets in this so I've since found a lee cavity mould to make lead-cast rounds. But I will be keeping what you've said in my reference stuffs-- so thank you for it:D