PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of building my own AR15. BUT I'm a NOOB!!

ELIXIR
10-12-2011, 9:01 PM
I've had the urge to finally be an AR owner.(I own several handguns,I'm VERY familiar with that). I don't really know much about them, but simple CA legal things like bullet button, etc. To cut it short you can say I'm "ignorant" towards building my own AR.(WOULD IT BE BETTER TO BUILD MY OWN OR BUY COMPLETE?) I have friends that know about them and that can assemble an AR. And yes, I have been doing some research regarding this. Anyways I would like to know what are GOOD QUALITY parts i.e. lowers,uppers, hand rails, pistol grips, etc. AND where would it be a good place to shop and get GREAT deals on gear.My budget would be around $700-900. I found an AR that a fellow calgunner is selling, I really like the style. Here's a pic.

I like how some parts are a Tan color. And that type of style hand rail with the grip on it.

Also, is it a hassle to own an AR? Meaning, transporting it, owning etc. I know Cops can harass someone just for owning (while transporting or shooting) an AR, the last thing I want is to get in trouble by the law, so this has always KEPT me from wanting an AR. ( I know how to follow ALL rules. I stay legit)

Thanks for your input Calgunners!

FourLoko
10-12-2011, 9:05 PM
ask your friends

pacifico23
10-12-2011, 9:07 PM
Honestly right now, it seems manufacturers are really tryin g to compete with building it yourself. Smith and Wessons AR's can be had for mid 600's. If I were you I would get that Palmetto State Armory AR with Aimpoint for 999.00.
That's like the best deal ever. Those PSA uppers are very good too. I don't get it, they must get one great deal from FN for their barrels. They are very good uppers for the price.

You can always build one, and build it right within the price of that. But I think the days of building it yourself for cheaper are fading away.

Noah3683
10-12-2011, 9:10 PM
^^^ it is a nice setup. They have 14.7 mid-length barrels for $229 too. I just ordered a couple

wizdumb
10-12-2011, 9:54 PM
If you're not familiar with the AR-15 platform, then I would recommend buying one to shoot/enjoy/learn. Once you are familiar, you'll be able to make more well-informed decisions about *if* you still want to build one and what components to use.

Phil3
10-12-2011, 9:57 PM
I would always build my own, and have, because no one makes an AR just the way I would want it. But, to start, and if you can find a ready to go rifle on the market, I agree with the others...buy it, learn about it, and have fun.

- Phil

OniKoroshi
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I just built a basic AR to see if I would like the platform and so far I do. I picked up a basic delton rifle kit with the option of a detachable carry handle. I had buddies with AR's and most "seemed" to have delton kits so that is why I decided to try them out.

But... What I would do is go the AR15.com and read up on how to "build" one. If you don't feel comfortable then I suggest you have a friend help you or buy a prebuilt one.

Dirty Monkey
10-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I built my first AR15 not that long ago, it wasnt to hard. It really depends on how you build your AR15, Lowers are the cheapest, uppers are the money makers. For my Ar15 i went with double star lower and DPMS Parts kit, I replace the Grip to Ergo and i love it.

kemikalembalance
10-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Honestly right now, it seems manufacturers are really tryin g to compete with building it yourself. Smith and Wessons AR's can be had for mid 600's. If I were you I would get that Palmetto State Armory AR with Aimpoint for 999.00.
That's like the best deal ever. Those PSA uppers are very good too. I don't get it, they must get one great deal from FN for their barrels. They are very good uppers for the price.

You can always build one, and build it right within the price of that. But I think the days of building it yourself for cheaper are fading away.

THIS^Im not familiar with Palmetto, but if he knows...follow what he said. To build it you need the complete tool set, and the vise. Maybe your friends have all that stuff, cool. And I know you can get a DPMS cal-legal AR for around 700 to 900. BUY IT! CUSTOMIZE IT! PLAY WITH IT! THEN... nickel and dime a couple parts here and there and assemble one based on your experiences. Good luck man. And dont forget, (and im new here) always, always ask questions. But you will get an Obama care size list of different opinions. Go with what you want. The gun shop wants to make money off you. We want to force our opinions on you:D(jk)!

h0use
10-13-2011, 6:09 AM
If your on a budget check out delton.

popeye4
10-13-2011, 6:15 AM
It's like computers used to be. If you had a little bit of knowledge and ability, you could build a kick-*** machine for a little bit less than you could buy off the shelf. It won't necessarily be cheaper, but it will be exactly what you want. There are SO many options with an AR.....

Assembling an AR is not difficult, but there are some useful tools (like pin holders and punches). You should have some mechanical ability, but you don't need to be a gunsmith. There are many books and several vids out there to help you get your knowledge up.

jetspeedz
10-13-2011, 8:53 AM
Before you build or buy anything ask yourself what do you want to use it for than go from there. Midwayusa will have lots of parts you can browse and buy if you want to see what people have reviewed. With that price range you will no problem buying or building a good setup Good luck

tacticalcity
10-13-2011, 8:59 AM
Just do it brother. You won't regret it. I recommend building your own. It's more fun and educational. Buy the upper assembled and then hand pick the rest of the parts. Assembling the lower is easy and there are youtube videos and how tos like crazy to help you. There are boat loads of articles here on Calguns and elsewhere online. Myself and many other members on here are vendors and carry lots of AR parts at great prices.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
10-13-2011, 9:04 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/595483/guntec-video-midwayusa-gunsmithing-the-ar-15-dvd

This DVD from Midway goes on sale at times for $15.99. Also some of it is available for free on Youtube or on the Midway site.

If not this, then there is still a ton of info out there on builds.

And of course, clink on the link near the top of this page that says, "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide".

Enjoy!

AlexKintner
10-13-2011, 9:06 AM
Building a lower is no big deal. While not the ideal tools, harbor freight has punches pretty cheap. You need to be careful because they are not roll pin punches. Pay special attention to springs and orientation and always run a thorough function test before you fire it.

pacifico23
10-13-2011, 9:15 AM
You really dont need many tools honestly. I put 1 together together with a pair of needlenose pliers, a lighter and a pencil. No joke. I bought the brass punches from harbor freight and some other stuff. Never used it once so far on any ar.

calgunner223
10-13-2011, 10:50 AM
^^^ it is a nice setup. They have 14.7 mid-length barrels for $229 too. I just ordered a couple

Getting anything other than a 16+ may be more than you want to try on a first build. If you do you'll need to weld the flash hider to get to a legal 16inches.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Scratch705
10-13-2011, 2:48 PM
Palmetto is making it very easy for beginners to get a complete basic AR running with their kits. i mean all you need is to buy a lower and u have an AR with these kits they sell:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/AR-rifle-kits.php

Noah3683
10-13-2011, 4:09 PM
Getting anything other than a 16+ may be more than you want to try on a first build. If you do you'll need to weld the flash hider to get to a legal 16inches.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

No doubt about that, I was actually pointing it out in reference to Pacifico's comment about their barrel costs and the deal with FN

david619
10-14-2011, 1:00 PM

You can always build one, and build it right within the price of that. But I think the days of building it yourself for cheaper are fading away.. Ok I just posted a new thread putting together spikes lower with dd upper. Now youv've have me thinking about the psa complete :43:

bloodhawke83
10-14-2011, 1:02 PM
i did a spike upper and lower build this month, my post is somewhere. dropped around 1300 bucks on it.

h0use
10-14-2011, 1:03 PM
if you build it your self, you can build it the WAY you like.