PDA

View Full Version : So you think we are not winning?

taperxz
10-12-2011, 9:56 PM
This was the note i got from the Lake County Sheriff in reply to my alarm going off and me thanking him for the deputies professionalism. I made no mention of CGF but here is his reply:D Obviously someone who cares about our rights!!!!

Taperxz,

I'll pass this on to the troops. They are really stepping up to the plate and will appreciate your regards. By the way, I've not heard from Calguns in a while, but I've issued a lot of CCW since January. As I promised, the process has been greatly simplified. The DOJ application, a short interview with me and my Undersheriff and the range qualification, that's it. The DOJ application is now on our website and I carry hard copies to give to all law abiding citizens upon request.

Best,

Frank

MrClamperSir
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Awesome. Sounds like he has a great relationship with the community (as it should be).

stix213
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Need to move to Lake County.....

FishNFool
10-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Now that's a Sherrif who understands. Sound like Lake county elected the right person. Awesome.

a1c
10-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Awesome. Sounds like he has a great relationship with the community (as it should be).

Well, some of it. :D

To be fair, previous sheriff also was relatively CCW-friendly.

I'm curious about the undersheriff Frank hired recently. Seems like a very competent and interesting guy.

As an FYI, Rivero had the local Democratic Party Committee's endorsement. Just goes to show that in rural California, party colors don't matter that much when it comes to basic rights.

moleculo
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
If only we could get a caring and professional Sheriff like that in L. A. One can dream...

It might be worth responding to him to convey how impressed we all are. Very refreshing.

axel4488
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM

agreed.

taperxz
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM

Previous sheriff also was relatively CCW-friendly.

I'm curious about the undersheriff Frank hired recently. Seems like a very competent and interesting guy.

Frank did away with the letters of reference, extra fees, and cronyism. The reference thing was really bad! No relatives, and residents of LC only. Mitchell also never put the info on a website to make it accessible to the public. Though that could just be that they were a little behind the times.

a1c
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Frank did away with the letters of reference, extra fees, and cronyism. The reference thing was really bad! No relatives, and residents of LC only. Mitchell also never put the info on a website to make it accessible to the public. Though that could just be that they were a little behind the times.

Yeah, those letters were ridiculous. Also Mitchell denied a Canadian citizen on basis of his citizenship, I believe. I'm not a US citizen yet, so I better not be denied on the same grounds. Otherwise CGF will be getting a call from me :)

BigDogatPlay
10-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I hope Sheriff Rivero can make a good go of it. The local press (perhaps still aligned with the now departed Rod Mitchell) has not been overly friendly to him, and there are a good number of people in the county who are working quite hard to screw him at each and every turn.

There was a whisper campaign around him, and still is. I was the recipient of some of the whispers, that have proven out to be untrue. But he's a man's work ahead of him trying to clean up the department after the Mitchell regime. I wish him luck.

ETA... I heard a rumor from a LEO acquaintance over the weekend that former Sheriff Mitchell is interviewing for a CLEO job in an adjoining county. Be interesting to see how that works out.

taperxz
10-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah, those letters were ridiculous. Also Mitchell denied a Canadian citizen on basis of his citizenship, I believe. I'm not a US citizen yet, so I better not be denied on the same grounds. Otherwise CGF will be getting a call from me :)

Let me know, i will make sure that the Sheriff understands that not just US citizens have a right to a LTC. Im pretty sure he is aware of that now;)

taperxz
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I hope Sheriff Rivero can make a good go of it. The local press (perhaps still aligned with the now departed Rod Mitchell) has not been overly friendly to him, and there are a good number of people in the county who are working quite hard to screw him at each and every turn.

There was a whisper campaign around him, and still is. I was the recipient of some of the whispers, that have proven out to be untrue. But he's a man's work ahead of him trying to clean up the department after the Mitchell regime. I wish him luck.

ETA... I heard a rumor from a LEO acquaintance over the weekend that former Sheriff Mitchell is interviewing for a CLEO job in an adjoining county. Be interesting to see how that works out.

The cleaning up process, politics and everything around it has been a culture shock to the county to say the least. From what i have seen, he has been pretty straight up in the way he deals with things. JMHO

any2cards
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM

nah... we need to break CA into 2 states. Let the sanctuary cities of LA and San Fran bleed themselves dry without us paying for it, or the rest of their grand social schemes... LA is already going into the hole at about 1 mil per day, they stopped caring a long time ago.

A ballot initiative to bust CA into 2 states would put them into complete panic mode. Without us paying for their liberal feel good agenda's they have NOTHING.

a1c
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Let me know, i will make sure that the Sheriff understands that not just US citizens have a right to a LTC. Im pretty sure he is aware of that now;)

Thanks. I'm not too worried. :D

a1c
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
nah... we need to break CA into 2 states. Let the sanctuary cities of LA and San Fran bleed themselves dry without us paying for it, or the rest of their grand social schemes... LA is already going into the hole at about 1 mil per day, they stopped caring a long time ago.

A ballot initiative to bust CA into 2 states would put them into complete panic mode. Without us paying for their liberal feel good agenda's they have NOTHING.

Again, you might want to leave politics out of it when it comes to the 2A and local politics. By all accounts, Rivero is a liberal.

halifax
10-12-2011, 10:34 PM
... Rivero is a liberal.

And former San Francisco LEO, I think.

any2cards
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I have no idea who Rivero is... and politics may play a part but it's absolutely not the only part...

I feel the exact same way about New York and NYC. Let me explain...

I dont think that any one state should wield so much power that all of the other states are subjugated by the monetary value... i.e. CA or NY

When you take CA which is measured in how close is it to the top ten of world economies all by itself... that cant be good for the rest of the states, and that should be addressed.

you want to call it politics, okay... I say it's just how things are, and we should fix it. If SoCal didn't have the CCC to worry about (ruled by the north), I bet we'd have a whole lot more de-sal plants coming online and that would replace all the water the farmers are missing from the NorCal delta smelt water embargo... not to mention Oil Refineries and Nuclear reactors...

It's not politics, it's just common sense. And if we could split CA into 2 states, where there's clearly major differences of opinion, we'd see both sides get exactly what they want.

taperxz
10-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I have no idea who Rivero is... and politics may play a part but it's absolutely not the only part...

I feel the exact same way about New York and NYC. Let me explain...

I dont think that any one state should wield so much power that all of the other states are subjugated by the monetary value... i.e. CA or NY

When you take CA which is measured in how close is it to the top ten of world economies all by itself... that cant be good for the rest of the states, and that should be addressed.

you want to call it politics, okay... I say it's just how things are, and we should fix it. If SoCal didn't have the CCC to worry about (ruled by the north), I bet we'd have a whole lot more de-sal plants coming online and that would replace all the water the farmers are missing from the NorCal delta smelt water embargo... not to mention Oil Refineries and Nuclear reactors...

It's not politics, it's just common sense. And if we could split CA into 2 states, where there's clearly major differences of opinion, we'd see both sides get exactly what they want.

I have no idea what you are saying in regards to the Sheriffs letter about complying with CA law? Just sayin.

Gray Peterson
10-13-2011, 12:15 AM

To be fair, previous sheriff also was relatively CCW-friendly.

No, he wasn't. Rivero is better than former-sheriff Mitchell by leaps and bounds.

choprzrul
10-13-2011, 12:24 AM
This was the note i got from the Lake County Sheriff in reply to my alarm going off and me thanking him for the deputies professionalism. I made no mention of CGF but here is his reply:D Obviously someone who cares about our rights!!!!

Taperxz,

I'll pass this on to the troops. They are really stepping up to the plate and will appreciate your regards. By the way, I've not heard from Calguns in a while, but I've issued a lot of CCW since January. As I promised, the process has been greatly simplified. The DOJ application, a short interview with me and my Undersheriff and the range qualification, that's it. The DOJ application is now on our website and I carry hard copies to give to all law abiding citizens upon request.

Best,

Frank

choprzrul == jealous

wildhawker
10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Awesome note, but I take exception with his assertion that he hadn't heard from us in a while. We sent PRA inquiries out to all sheriffs in August, and will be sending some "better hurry" letters, soon, too... :D

-Brandon

Taperxz,

Best,

Frank

oaklander
10-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Yup!

People thought I was crazy when I started saying WINNING back in Feb/Mar of this year. I am not too good at a lot of stuff, but I am kind of good at reading political trends, somehow.

Ubermcoupe
10-13-2011, 8:10 AM
The DOJ application is now on our website and I carry hard copies to give to all law abiding citizens upon request.

Best,

Frank

Now that's amazing. We need more like him. :D

paul0660
10-13-2011, 8:20 AM
No, he wasn't. Rivero is better than former-sheriff Mitchell by leaps and bounds.

That is a fact. Mendocino County and the County of Lake are very similar demographically. Mitchell's issue percentage was abysmal compared to Allman's in Mendo.

Strangely, Mitchell had the endorsement of CalCCW. Old boys club.

a1c
10-13-2011, 8:27 AM
Awesome note, but I take exception with his assertion that he hadn't heard from us in a while. We sent PRA inquiries out to all sheriffs in August, and will be sending some "better hurry" letters, soon, too... :D

-Brandon

His office has been running with limited resources. That might be why.

Gray Peterson
10-13-2011, 8:30 AM
That is a fact. Mendocino County and the County of Lake are very similar demographically. Mitchell's issue percentage was abysmal compared to Allman's in Mendo.

This should remind everyone that not everyone with the name "CCW" in their name are our allies. The Mitchell-Rivero situation should prove that more freedom is not the goal of CalCCW.

paul0660
10-13-2011, 8:40 AM
To reference the OP, however, Lake County is a very small rural county that simply lagged behind most similar counties because the Sheriff was entrenched and obstinate. "Winning" there does not mean much in the big picture.

taperxz
10-13-2011, 9:06 AM
To reference the OP, however, Lake County is a very small rural county that simply lagged behind most similar counties because the Sheriff was entrenched and obstinate. "Winning" there does not mean much in the big picture.

I take exception to this.

It's not the size of the county always. We are going sheriff to sheriff to change things. Sheriff Rivero IS an example of how all sheriffs should want to be as is Allman. There's a few people on this forum that think no sheriff can be like this and I wanted to show an example that there is.

I am nobody, he remembered me, and made his remarks at will. Pretty cool to have that IMHO

paul0660
10-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I take exception to this.

I don't know why, since I stated the obvious. You won't find a more political animal in the universe than a California Sheriff. What flies in Laytonville doesn't in Reseda.

I do think that we are "winning", overall, because the de facto prohibitions on LTC for most California residents are unconstitutional AND illogical, and people presented with accurate and calm argument can make good decisions. I don't think Rivero's election, and his performance since then, although laudable, are a pimple on the butt of the issue, however.

taperxz
10-13-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't know why, since I stated the obvious. You won't find a more political animal in the universe than a California Sheriff. What flies in Laytonville doesn't in Reseda.

I do think that we are "winning", overall, because the de facto prohibitions on LTC for most California residents are unconstitutional AND illogical, and people presented with accurate and calm argument can make good decisions. I don't think Rivero's election, and his performance since then, although laudable, are a pimple on the butt of the issue, however.

Don't you think that for every Sheriff gained/ cleans up the system is a win?

We have 38 sheriffs issuing, we need 20 more, Which sheriff wants to be the last one to issue? They do talk to each other i'm sure. At some point in time, most all sheriffs will be issuing, It will be pretty interesting when the last four or five that don't will be sitting in their office waiting to be taken into court for a civil rights violation.

We will have 50 something sheriffs looking at the rest shaking their heads saying "wow, whats up with these people?"

MolonLabe2008
10-13-2011, 10:51 AM
So you think we are not winning?

Correct, because we all don't live in Lake County.

paul0660
10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Taperxz, not all Sheriffs are created equal. This is not the US senate.

RobG
10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Very nice. Have him give Prieto a call, thanks:D

IGOTDIRT4U
10-13-2011, 1:11 PM

I'll have to disagree. One more county opened up to near shall issue means more people legally carrying into highly restricted counties. A slow tightening of the screws, so to speak. Lake is close to major Bay area cities that have near zero to zero issuance. It's not a far leap to imahine Lake County residents spend some time in those cities at least a few times a year.

Multiply those "very small rural county(ies)" over time and the squeeze is on for those restrictive cities.

Shellshocker66
10-13-2011, 2:54 PM
Very nice. Have him give Prieto a call, thanks:D

+1 on that!

6172crew
10-13-2011, 3:00 PM
I know a few of the Deputies on the Lake patrol, all good guys IMO. They had to investigate a boating accident a year ago in envolving a family member who darned near lost his life.

Lake County guys are good to go.

HowardW56
10-13-2011, 3:07 PM

Taperxz,

Best,

Frank

That one just made my day, not like a similar response from Sheriff Baca would have, but made my day regardless.... :D

It is nice to see that there are sheriff's who understand that the law abiding citizens who take the time to apply and work within system aren't the enemy...

oni.dori
10-13-2011, 4:53 PM
Man, I wish I could hear something like that from the Sherrif here in Ventura County. I would LOVE to have a LTC.

Sunwolf
10-13-2011, 5:03 PM
I'll have to disagree. One more county opened up to near shall issue means more people legally carrying into highly restricted counties. A slow tightening of the screws, so to speak. Lake is close to major Bay area cities that have near zero to zero issuance. It's not a far leap to imahine Lake County residents spend some time in those cities at least a few times a year.

Multiply those "very small rural county(ies)" over time and the squeeze is on for those restrictive cities.

How is Modoc County regarding this issue?

bg
10-13-2011, 5:27 PM
Any way this guy might run for Pres ?

oaklander
10-13-2011, 5:42 PM
Don't you think that for every Sheriff gained/ cleans up the system is a win?

We have 38 sheriffs issuing, we need 20 more, Which sheriff wants to be the last one to issue? They do talk to each other i'm sure. At some point in time, most all sheriffs will be issuing, It will be pretty interesting when the last four or five that don't will be sitting in their office waiting to be taken into court for a civil rights violation.

We will have 50 something sheriffs looking at the rest shaking their heads saying "wow, whats up with these people?"

OK, not that it matters, but I am starting to understand how you think. We ARE on same team, and this rocks!

;-)

Sent from my brain, to yours. . .

Quser.619
10-13-2011, 7:16 PM
Wow, just wishing we had someone like that here in San Diego County

jamesob
10-13-2011, 8:22 PM
Wow, interviews and qualifications huh. Tulare county doesn't have that.

hoffmang
10-13-2011, 10:01 PM

They make me prouder and prouder that they banned me :43:
Man, I wish I could hear something like that from the Sherrif here in Ventura County. I would LOVE to have a LTC.

Interestingly, things are getting better there. Wonder why?

-Gene

wildhawker
10-13-2011, 10:16 PM
They make me prouder and prouder that they banned me :43:

:cheers2:

-Gene

All will be revealed in... :twoweeks:

-Brandon

oni.dori
10-14-2011, 1:36 AM

-Gene

As I absolutely expected them to after the CGF's successful litigations; and from the bottom of my heart, thank you to ALL of you involved in that. However, I wonder how better they have gotten. Better enough that an average Joe Scmoe like me could apply with reasonable chances of honestly getting one? Call me a pescimist or slightly ignorant of exactly what is going on in my neck of the woods, but I kind of don't get that vibe that it has yet.

oaklander
10-14-2011, 2:14 AM
As I absolutely expected them to after the CGF's successful litigations; and from the bottom of my heart, thank you to ALL of you involved in that. However, I wonder how better they have gotten. Better enough that an average Joe Scmoe like me could apply with reasonable chances of honestly getting one? Call me a pescimist or slightly ignorant of exactly what is going on in my neck of the woods, but I kind of don't get that vibe that it has yet.

Many people around the state are being pleasantly surprised. The Sherrifs who get with the program are also surprised by how well this all works out for them, politically.

:-)

hoffmang
10-14-2011, 7:08 PM

All will be revealed in... :twoweeks:

-Brandon

-Gene

oni.dori
10-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Many people around the state are being pleasantly surprised. The Sherrifs who get with the program are also surprised by how well this all works out for them, politically.

:-)

I think I get what you are saying Oak. Thank you for always being the translator for us laymans. You have just the right amount of lawyer to understand what's going on, and just enough Average Joe to help fill us in without spilling too much of the beans.

And Gene, I anxiously look forward to the news you have to give. I really hope that it will soon lead to people in VC (and eventually the ENTIRE state) to achieve virtual (if not actual) shall-issue.

oaklander
10-16-2011, 10:06 PM
I think I get what you are saying Oak. Thank you for always being the translator for us laymans. You have just the right amount of lawyer to understand what's going on, and just enough Average Joe to help fill us in without spilling too much of the beans.

And Gene, I anxiously look forward to the news you have to give. I really hope that it will soon lead to people in VC (and eventually the ENTIRE state) to achieve virtual (if not actual) shall-issue.

LOL - thank you for the compliment! Gene thinks I am a good writer, BUT THE TRUTH IS THIS:

I can't understand things that are too complex, so I have to simplify them in my own head. Then when I write about them, they are simple enough for anyone to understand. In other words, if *I* can understand something, anyone can!

On the winning stuff, me and Gene are doing a cool outreach event in Early November. When we do an after action report, I think you will be pretty impressed how correct you are on the "winning" concept!

;-)

oni.dori
10-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Honestly, I know this is completely selfish, but if it ends up making it easy for me to get a LTC in my area, that is all I care about. And if it is on a day I'm not working, and is an area I can get to feasibly, then I would be willing to help how I can (although I don't know how I could).