PDA

View Full Version : The Email I sent Governor Brown

greent
10-12-2011, 6:15 PM
I just sent this email to Governor Brown about the 3 very anti-gun bills he just signed that will be placed into effect January first! I'm posting what I wrote to him in hopes that I can get more people to start sending our elected officials emails and calls regarding our 2nd amendment right.
Feel free to copy and paste any of what I wrote him and insert your name if your too lazy to write your own letter. THIS ONLY TOOK ME ABOUT 30 MINUTES TO DO GUYS. Seriously, I'm regretting voting for Jerry Brown.

I can't believe that you signed SB 819, SB 144, SB 809 into law! This is a violation of our rights! Signing these bills shows that you have no respect for our US Constitution! I'm so frustrated with your actions, I can not believe I voted for you.
We should Impeach you from your position! Do you not know anything about gun laws or crime related to such laws? There is no reason to ban the open carry of unloaded handguns. It is our right to BEAR ARMS. This means having on our person any type of gun! I agree that it is wise to only allow the normal citizen to carry unloaded firearms and not loaded ones, but this is our fundamental right to carry any gun exposed and unloaded (as long as we are within such appropriate public property). You are telling California that we cannot "BEAR" a handgun on our person! Currently Californian's have to have a handgun locked up and unloaded in a container in order to carry a handgun anywhere. So now we cant carry a handgun anywhere unless we have a container and a lock to carry it in. This is unlawful of you to do this!
Stop trampling on the 2nd amendment! Doing so does nothing to stop the criminals from their violence and disregard for law. Every time a new anti-gun bill gets passed, the only thing that happens, is, that the Law abiding "good citizens" get turned into criminals. Stop making criminals out of good people, relax the gun laws so U.S. citizens have a right to self defense, and stiffen the penalties for the true crimes that are committed by the real bad guys!
And lastly, not everyone lives in the luxury, rich neighborhoods you and many others live in. You need to remember there are millions of people in this state that live in bad neighborhoods or far out in rural country where law enforcement are either overwhelmed or under-budgeted, so don't tell me that "we have law enforcement to protect us". That's bull****, and if you have ever read the constitution that's kept this country together for so long, you would know that the right to own and bear arms is more that just a right to self defense, it's a right for the citizens to defend themselves against "enemies foreign and domestic"! If we ever have to band together and rebel against a future corrupt U.S. government, then I think registration of any gun is a bad idea, don't you???? I guess not. Our government is not corrupt now, and I want to keep it that way, but I think that you need to admit that we will have many more, and much larger domestic and global problems in the future as our global economy gets worse, along with food supply reducing and population growing. Lets help preserve and prolong America for our children and not make it more dangerous and worse for them.
I want to add one more thing that I forgot to mention above. Think about this question: Is a criminal (with a past criminal record or not) going to draw attention to himself by open carrying a handgun in public? NO! He will be concealing his handgun to avoid law enforcement interaction. Will a law abiding citizen, one with good morals and character, who wants to carry a handgun "open carry style" pose a threat to the public?? NO! ANYONE WHO OPEN CARRIES A HANDGUN IS NOT AFRAID OF LAW ENFORCEMENT INTERACTION, THEREFORE, THE PERSON OPEN CARRYING IS MOST LIKELY NOT A CONVICTED FELON, IS NOT INTENDING TO COMMIT ANY CRIME, AND NOT CARRYING ANYTHING ILLEGAL ON HIMSELF. ANY REASONABLE PERSON WILL CONCLUDE THAT THIS PERSON POSES NO THREAT, AND IS ACTUALLY MAKING THE COMMUNITY A SAFER PLACE BY DETERRING THE "BAD GUYS" FROM COMMITTING ACTS OF VIOLENCE AGAINST THE PEOPLE.

ANYONE WHO IS FRIGHTENED MY THE MERE SIGHT OF A GUN HAS A PERSONAL PROBLEM AND SHOULD NOT IMPOSE HIS/HERSELF UPON THE U.S. PUBLIC.

Think about the poor decisions you have made this last week Governor Brown, and I hope you can eventually come to your senses.
Sincerely, Tyler Hall.

jaymz
10-12-2011, 6:20 PM
You lost me a bit at "impeach". Governors are recalled. You lost me the rest of the way when you said that you thought it was wise for people to only carry unloaded guns and not loaded ones. Sorry. I do give you points for actually writing though. Most people don't/won't.

Glock'n'Roll
10-12-2011, 6:23 PM
"!"

Is not your friend. Stopped reading after the 1st 1

a1c
10-12-2011, 6:38 PM
SB 809 will only take effect on January 1, 2014. Just saying - it's important to state facts accurately when writing to your representatives.

Also, piece of advice for future correspondence: keep it to one paragraph. It's public employees who will read your letter. They are not going to go through a long, poorly punctuated rant. They will read the first few lines to see what you're writing about and how you feel about it.

So make your point clearly and in just a few carefully written sentences. It's not like Jerry himself will read your email. His minions will, and they will then file it on top of the "unhappy" pile.

Finally, it's best to write/call about one piece of legislation at a time. That allows the accounting of the public opinion reaction (that means you) to be tallied up better.

okglockman
10-12-2011, 6:40 PM
Not sure I completely follow everything you said...

rbetts
10-12-2011, 7:07 PM
GEEZ commando's Back off the OP. He is merely showing his frustration for the knucklehead we have running this state. Good for him for taking action instead of sniping at someone for their spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. How bout you post your letters to the Governor here for us to shoot holes into?? You get no license to do so until you are willing to run the gauntlet like the OP. So where are your letters. . . . . . . :90:

rbetts
10-12-2011, 7:08 PM
"!"

Is not your friend. Stopped reading after the 1st 1

Might as well earn the right to criticize (5 posts doesn't cut it )

thrasherfox
10-12-2011, 7:12 PM
I wrote him before he signed these. Expressing my concern and asking him to not vote on any gun legislation that was anti 2A

HowardW56
10-12-2011, 8:01 PM
I bet that message got the delete key after the first 20 seconds....

ckprax
10-12-2011, 8:31 PM
I appreciate that you care enough to write the governor but next time, have someone else look it over. Make sure you have your facts straight, and don't go on a long rant, keep it simple and to the point.

I couldn't get through the whole thing and I share your frustration.

Care to elaborate on why you feel I should not be allowed to carry a loaded handgun?

mag360
10-12-2011, 9:21 PM
his staff stopped reading at "i'm so frustrated by your actions" and recorded your IP address to have you put on a terror watch list. LOL. are you serious bro.

this is how you email politicians:

Dear Edmund,

I respectfully urge you to not sign SBxxx, it will do this, I dont like that because of this, and lastly, it will only hurt law abiding people.

Sincerely,

Joe Gunnie

supraman925
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
the message should've been sent to him before the agreement. Might have helped. i feel bad voting for him, but Meg would probably be worst who knows.

hadjin
10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
WoW.

I APPLAUD the author for making his voice heard loud and clear.

greent
10-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Some of you guys are way too critical! Making your voice heard is the most important thing. If your worried about punctuation and sentence structure too much, your will probably end up not writing the letter. I also wrote him about these issues before they ended up on his desk.
Hey English teachers out there: Where the **** are your letters? Post them and we'll criticize your English!

greent
10-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks to all those who appreciate me making my voice heard!

big red
10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Right or wrong we have freedom of speech even if we do not agree with the OP. the letter could have been better written but i have been accused of writing bad letters in my time especially when i did not go over them several times. But at least the OP took some kind of action so I can't fault him and he did not end up on the news like the man in Seal Beach.

five.five-six
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
it does not matter what you wrote, just so long as it is clearly for or against a given bill, so the intern knows which stack to tally it for, if you are unclear at all in your position on the bill, it will be put in the stack that the want it to go in.... it's not like anybody is going to read it

important is ... which bill you are talking about and if you are for it or against it, if your summary is brief, it may be skimmed by an intern that no one listens to anyway

the end

DannyInSoCal
10-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Thank a liberal....

five.five-six
10-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Thank a liberal....

thanks romney

freonr22
10-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Op, thank you for contributing.

Does anyone think the governors mind would have been swayed by any amount of letters/phone calls/ emails?

Anti-Hero
10-13-2011, 12:50 AM
LOL - Here we go again.

oni.dori
10-13-2011, 2:23 AM
I just sent this email to Governor Brown about the 3 very anti-gun bills he just signed that will be placed into effect January first! I'm posting what I wrote to him in hopes that I can get more people to start sending our elected officials emails and calls regarding our 2nd amendment right.
Feel free to copy and paste any of what I wrote him and insert your name if your too lazy to write your own letter. THIS ONLY TOOK ME ABOUT 30 MINUTES TO DO GUYS. Seriously, I'm regretting voting for Jerry Brown.

I can't believe that you signed SB 819, SB 144, SB 809 into law! This is a violation of our rights! Signing these bills shows that you have no respect for our US Constitution! I'm so frustrated with your actions, I can not believe I voted for you.
We should Impeach you from your position! Do you not know anything about gun laws or crime related to such laws? There is no reason to ban the open carry of unloaded handguns. It is our right to BEAR ARMS. This means having on our person any type of gun! I agree that it is wise to only allow the normal citizen to carry unloaded firearms and not loaded ones, but this is our fundamental right to carry any gun exposed and unloaded (as long as we are within such appropriate public property). You are telling California that we cannot "BEAR" a handgun on our person! Currently Californian's have to have a handgun locked up and unloaded in a container in order to carry a handgun anywhere. So now we cant carry a handgun anywhere unless we have a container and a lock to carry it in. This is unlawful of you to do this!
Stop trampling on the 2nd amendment! Doing so does nothing to stop the criminals from their violence and disregard for law. Every time a new anti-gun bill gets passed, the only thing that happens, is, that the Law abiding "good citizens" get turned into criminals. Stop making criminals out of good people, relax the gun laws so U.S. citizens have a right to self defense, and stiffen the penalties for the true crimes that are committed by the real bad guys!
And lastly, not everyone lives in the luxury, rich neighborhoods you and many others live in. You need to remember there are millions of people in this state that live in bad neighborhoods or far out in rural country where law enforcement are either overwhelmed or under-budgeted, so don't tell me that "we have law enforcement to protect us". That's bull****, and if you have ever read the constitution that's kept this country together for so long, you would know that the right to own and bear arms is more that just a right to self defense, it's a right for the citizens to defend themselves against "enemies foreign and domestic"! If we ever have to band together and rebel against a future corrupt U.S. government, then I think registration of any gun is a bad idea, don't you???? I guess not. Our government is not corrupt now, and I want to keep it that way, but I think that you need to admit that we will have many more, and much larger domestic and global problems in the future as our global economy gets worse, along with food supply reducing and population growing. Lets help preserve and prolong America for our children and not make it more dangerous and worse for them.
I want to add one more thing that I forgot to mention above. Think about this question: Is a criminal (with a past criminal record or not) going to draw attention to himself by open carrying a handgun in public? NO! He will be concealing his handgun to avoid law enforcement interaction. Will a law abiding citizen, one with good morals and character, who wants to carry a handgun "open carry style" pose a threat to the public?? NO! ANYONE WHO OPEN CARRIES A HANDGUN IS NOT AFRAID OF LAW ENFORCEMENT INTERACTION, THEREFORE, THE PERSON OPEN CARRYING IS MOST LIKELY NOT A CONVICTED FELON, IS NOT INTENDING TO COMMIT ANY CRIME, AND NOT CARRYING ANYTHING ILLEGAL ON HIMSELF. ANY REASONABLE PERSON WILL CONCLUDE THAT THIS PERSON POSES NO THREAT, AND IS ACTUALLY MAKING THE COMMUNITY A SAFER PLACE BY DETERRING THE "BAD GUYS" FROM COMMITTING ACTS OF VIOLENCE AGAINST THE PEOPLE.

ANYONE WHO IS FRIGHTENED MY THE MERE SIGHT OF A GUN HAS A PERSONAL PROBLEM AND SHOULD NOT IMPOSE HIS/HERSELF UPON THE U.S. PUBLIC.

Think about the poor decisions you have made this last week Governor Brown, and I hope you can eventually come to your senses.
Sincerely, Tyler Hall.

UOC/OC in general under the current political climate is asinine, and it is the actions (and reactions) of UOC'ers like this that caused it to be banned in the first place. While I am not personally against the idea of OC, it has been counter-productive to our battle for Civil Rights from the get-out, so I refuse to support it at this time; especially in the manner that MOST UOC'ers tend to partake in it. While I admire their passion and dedication to Rights, they hurt efforts more than anything.
Also, you stated "I agree that it is wise to only allow the normal citizen to carry unloaded firearms and not loaded ones", just what the hell are you fighting for then? That is borderline outing yourself IMO. The right to carry LOADED firearms on our persons, as LAW ABIDING Citizens is exactly what we are fighting for in the first place. This email is seriously starting to stink.

thrasherfox
10-13-2011, 2:59 AM
To the OP,

Read everyone's criticisms as productive guidance.

On here it might seem as bashing. But I can tell you that I tend to write like you. And it does not work in my environment. I work with higher level "management" and I have been told on numerous occasions (years apart, I sometimes get passionate about what I do) that less is more.

The people I deal with up my chain are very busy people, just like politicians and their staff. If you keep it short, too the point and WITHOUT emotion it will probably get read. as soon as someone sees this long string of words, people tend to not even read it.

That even goes for on here. Except for on here, I tend to vent for my own good, if people read them, great.

But in my business world, if I am sending an email up the chain for someone to read, I want them to read it, so I am careful to focus on short, sweet, to the point minus emotion.

Try to keep everything you want to say in less than 5 lines of text. anything more than that and busy people tend to put it off until later (if ever).

Chach
10-13-2011, 3:58 AM
I bet that message got the delete key after the first 20 seconds....

I'd add in another 10 seconds for them to forward the email to division of the CHP that oversees the Governor's protection.

Kudos to you, OP, for sending a letter, however you could have gone about it better. A little bit more research, some knowledge on politics and perhaps a few more basic English grammar courses could've helped. But thank you for standing up for what you believe it.

OniKoroshi
10-13-2011, 4:03 AM
Haven't checked if we can send actual correspondence letters to the governor. I know email is more convenient but what if folks sent registered letters to him? It should be a nice big pile! :)

Seeker
10-13-2011, 5:02 AM
If we ever have to band together and rebel against a future corrupt U.S. government,

That right there probably got you on a list.
Remember, you're sending this letter to your State government. :facepalm:

I give you props for taking the initiative though.

PsychGuy274
10-13-2011, 5:37 AM

Sincerely, Tyler Hall.

I'm sorry, but you're all over the place on this one, man.

Ubermcoupe
10-13-2011, 7:59 AM
It has been my experience when writing to superiors, who don't agree with my POV, to be tactful and professional and let my citations do the talking. When I add too much emotion "they" tend to oppose me in spite.

Not saying you did that but I do agree that "!!!" and CAPS cannot accurately convey a message via textual format, whether through email or written letter.

I really do appreciate your points, passion, and willingness to speak out about the 2A, so thank you. :thumbsup:

Flyin Brian
10-13-2011, 8:06 AM
So you voted for the liberal and now you are shocked when your rights are taken away?

tenpercentfirearms
10-13-2011, 8:20 AM
I too stopped reading at impeach.

He is not going to be impeached. You voted for him and he is now representing you.

If he cared about what we said on these matters, he wouldn't have signed the bills. There is no way the anti's are contacting him more than we are.

This state is doomed with the only saving grace being the courts.

For future reference, keep it short and sweet and don't threaten the guy with impeachment. It isn't a political reality so you automatically get thrown into the "not important" stack.

Havoc70
10-13-2011, 8:44 AM
I stopped reading after the first run on sentence. If you're going to contact him, at least take the time to construct decent sentences.

AMDG
10-13-2011, 8:48 AM
Cool story bro.

(actually, tl;dr)

a1c
10-13-2011, 9:19 AM
We need a "How to write to your elected officials" sticky.

notme92069
10-13-2011, 9:24 AM
You lost me a bit at "impeach". Governors are recalled. You lost me the rest of the way when you said that you thought it was wise for people to only carry unloaded guns and not loaded ones. Sorry. I do give you points for actually writing though. Most people don't/won't.

Same here. An unloaded gun is worthless. Might as well carry a hammer.