PDA

View Full Version : Armalite or DPMS Compatible AR???

AR87
10-12-2011, 3:42 PM
Was curious what everyone thought about the two different types of AR's. Mainly I am curious about everyone's thoughts in terms of overall compatibility with other manufacturers' parts, overall functionality differences, if there are any, and other tangible things like price, out-of-box accuracy, etc.

bubu
10-12-2011, 4:07 PM
If the parts are Mil Spec, they should be interchangeable.

yellowfin
10-12-2011, 4:45 PM
If the parts are Mil Spec, they should be interchangeable.There isn't really a "Mil Spec" for .308 AR platforms, unless of course we're taking the SR-25 pattern as "Mil Spec" now since it has been issued as the Mk 11 and M110. It isn't as established and standardized as universal like the AR15/M16/M4 pattern is, where every single upper and lower made fits interchangeably.

Anyone know if since there are military AR10/.308 AR's now whether we can officially say that the KAC/DPMS standard is in fact standard and that it'll be regarded as such?

Arnelcheeze
10-12-2011, 6:52 PM
there is no standard when it comes to AR10, well i guess there are 2 standards... AR10/Noveske or SR25/DPMS components. Also another main problem is the play with upper and lower fitment with these 2 different types of AR10. usually people dont mix and match uppers and lowers when it comes to AR10's in their 2 types.

match your upper and lower, and your bolt and barrel you should be good to go...

BKTJ
10-12-2011, 7:30 PM
You didn't specify what platform you are talking about.

If you are talking AR15, both should be the same (or close to it).

If you are talking .308 AR. I'm heavily invested it the DPMS, POF, LMT, Knights, CMMG... design of .308 AR. The is a a bunch more stuff for this design. Plus the mags, barrels, bolts... are more affordable. I do have 1 token Armalite AR10 and its no better or worse than the DPMS design. As to a standard, most of the DPMS style stuff is interchangeable, except POF (they use a smaller .25 pivot/takedown pins). You can use the other mfg uppers on their lower with the use of a .003 sleeve, but their uppers won't mate to other mfg lowers.

tileguy
10-12-2011, 7:37 PM
i would recommend the DPMS over the armalite. armalite mags are very expensive. magpul now makes pmags for the DPMS 308 platform.

Phil3
10-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I assume we are talking 308 (or 260 Remington or 243 Winchester). I prefer the Armalite platform, but the others are right, it is expensive, especially since some parts are available from Armalite only. The bolt assembly is $257. Mags again are Armalite only and I paid a couple years ago, over $40 each. I don't know what they are now. A Krieger barrel, chambered, is $500. Add in a Geiselle trigger, muzzle brake, MagPul PRS stock and other goodies, and it makes an AR15 seem like it has a Wal-Mart price.

Phil

Arnelcheeze
10-13-2011, 3:23 PM
I forgot about the different magazines, that too!!!

tacticalcity
10-13-2011, 3:24 PM
If I had the money I'd say KAC M110.

AR87
10-23-2011, 3:10 PM
Great stuff. Thanks, guys. All your information, as always, is very much appreciated.

Falstaff
10-23-2011, 5:15 PM
You can build a dpms 10 for under a grand plus the mags are cheaper too
Armalite patterns cost more in every aspect, I dunno if they're worth the extra money/ headaches though mebbe they are...

Jpach
10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
You didn't specify what platform you are talking about.

If you are talking AR15, both should be the same (or close to it).

If you are talking .308 AR. I'm heavily invested it the DPMS, POF, LMT, Knights, CMMG... design of .308 AR. The is a a bunch more stuff for this design.

Just a heads up, LMT and Knights receivers are not the DPMS, POF, CMMG, etc. type. They are SR-25 patterned, but all the companies listed do use the same mags.

OP, I am partial to the LMT 308 (check it out in my sig line). It is very unique, reliable, accurate, and just all around bad ***.

AR87
11-09-2011, 4:51 PM
Just a heads up, LMT and Knights receivers are not the DPMS, POF, CMMG, etc. type. They are SR-25 patterned, but all the companies listed do use the same mags.

OP, I am partial to the LMT 308 (check it out in my sig line). It is very unique, reliable, accurate, and just all around bad ***.

Awesome rifle... Thanks for the link! Always appreciated...