PDA

View Full Version : NP3 Coating on Firearms

AR87
10-12-2011, 2:47 PM
So I found out that you can send in your gun to Robar's and they will NP3 your weapon system, everything from the outside furniture to all the internals. I can see the potential for NP3 on the bolt carrier group of an GI AR-type rifle, but it's pretty expensive to do so.

Anyone done this before and is it worth it?

http://www.robarguns.com/precision_coatings.htm
Link to the site of the company offering all this stuff... they actually have another coating called Poly-T2, which really looks cool, and you can choose between different colors, whereas NP3, to my knowledge, only has a gold-yellow color or a silver-gray color to it. Any and all thoughts are, of course, welcome.

tomd1584
10-12-2011, 3:36 PM
Do you know how much lube you can buy for the price of coating your BCG?

brando
10-12-2011, 7:02 PM
My SR90 had an NP3 action and it was smmmoooooth. :)

NapaCountyShooter
10-12-2011, 7:11 PM
I know a guy who swears by it. Puts it on all his guns now. Personally, I don't shoot enough or leave my guns dirty long enough to justify it. If you don't mind the cost, it's pretty cool stuff.

sacshooter1
10-12-2011, 7:14 PM
I had a NP3 coated BCG in a Stag upper that I used to own and it was smooth and very easy to clean. The thing ran like a champ too, never a FTF or FTE with multiple 1000s of rounds in it. I did still lube and clean it frequently. In my opinion it was expensive, but it performed as advertised.

Press Check
10-12-2011, 7:36 PM
I've had a pistol barrel and internals done, and NP3 is a great product, but their 4-6 week turn-around time is unreal.

As noted above, very easy to clean and the surface lubricity is similar to Titanium Nitride coating, but better, and extremely durable.

rareair
10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
My POF rifle has the complete BCG coated in NP3. I paid the extra fees and also got the charging handle & the interior of my upper receiver coated in the stuff.

I even have a German SIG P226 (& magazines too) completely covered in NP3.

Though the price may not be for everybody's budget, it's good stuff non the less.

jetspeedz
10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm curious to see how it compares to micro-slick

AR87
10-15-2011, 2:13 PM
Anyone know of any rifle barrels having NP3 lining? Apparently it applies better than chromium plating process does (more uniform and consistent adherence, which for a barrel would give the barrel all the perks of chrome lining with none of the pitfalls of it such as the loss in accuracy at longer ranges)

emsp
10-15-2011, 3:17 PM
I've had a pistol barrel and internals done, and NP3 is a great product, but their 4-6 week turn-around time is unreal.

As noted above, very easy to clean and the surface lubricity is similar to Titanium Nitride coating, but better, and extremely durable.

Do you have any information to support the claim of NP3 being better than TiN? I can't find any info on the website about service temp or what the coefficient of friction for NP3 is. TiN has a coefficient of friction for TiN is .4 and will oxidize at 800C. PTFE has a coefficient of friction of .5 to .1 and melts at 327C. NP3 has a thickness of several mil and TiN is several microns thicks. It seems to me that the TiN coating sounds more of a suitable choice for the application.