PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Barrel and Gas Block question "additional questions"

Axewound
10-12-2011, 3:07 PM
My 18 inch Ranier barrel and Low profile Vltor gas block came in the mail today. While inspecting all of the parts, I realized there was something I had not anticipated. Its that the barrel is not dimpled for a low profile gas block.

:facepalm:

I didnot realize this until I started to read the directions on my Mega Monolithic Upper for correct barrel seating.

How do I correct this problem? Can a skilled gunsmith take care of this, or would it be easier to purchase a regular Stainelss Steel Gas block?

motorwerks
10-12-2011, 3:09 PM
it doesn't need to be dimpled. I have 4 non-dimpled barrels, with thousands of rounds down range (including on thats .308) none have ever come loose, or moved..... I'm not saying it cant happen, just saying mine are all tight and it hasn't happened to me.

wash
10-12-2011, 3:13 PM
Since it's not a front sight, alignment is not critical.

Any decent gunsmith can dimple it just fine.

You might want to see if Vltor has directions, I'm not sure if a dimple is critical. It's surely nicer than a plain gas block journal but a set screw should be able to bite in to the barrel (I'm just not sure if that is a good idea, all my gas blocks are clamp on or pinned).

jetspeedz
10-12-2011, 3:24 PM
You can dimple it yourself easily with a punch / drill and good skills, no need for a gunsmith, or if your worried get a gas block with set screws instead

Axewound
10-12-2011, 5:09 PM
Now with this information, would you guys recomend staying with the low profile gas block not covered with a free float tube versus a traditional clamp on gas block?

How many times have you seen or heard of peoples gas blocks getting knocked around?

Would it be more user friendly for the clamp on gas block in case of cycling issues?
Thanks

lwbyo1
10-12-2011, 6:08 PM
Now with this information, would you guys recomend staying with the low profile gas block not covered with a free float tube versus a traditional clamp on gas block?

How many times have you seen or heard of peoples gas blocks getting knocked around?

Would it be more user friendly for the clamp on gas block in case of cycling issues?
Thanks

You could get this and dimple the barrel yourself:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1089

Or take it to a gunsmith and have them do it. It'll probably cost about the same either way.