PDA

View Full Version : First AR build

Cinnaduma
10-12-2011, 1:29 PM
Hey all,

I am about to start my first build on an AR. To keep my wife from killing me I need to keep the build as cheap as possible and I can upgrade it slowly after time but I kind of want something to shoot now.

The only problem I have is that I need to convert any upper I buy (from the looks of it) to a left handed shooter version. This from what I have found by searching the web adds almost $300+ in cost since I have not found an upper that is setup for left handed.

Any suggestions on getting this done for the least amount possible?

bloodhawke83
10-12-2011, 2:06 PM
http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/collections/ar-15-parts/left-handed

Looking at SBR, it seems to be a bit costly. Have you shot a right handed AR? My friend does and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'd start with your lower first since you have to DROS it.

wash
10-12-2011, 2:19 PM
Plenty of left handed people shoot right handed ARs.

All left handed people shoot right handed AKs...

I suggest you try a righty before you dismiss them.

Then go to PSA and get one of their hammer forged barrel complete rifle kits.

darqhelmet
10-12-2011, 2:25 PM
Or just buy a Stag upper. They offer all of there models in a left hand option.

Relo
10-12-2011, 2:27 PM
I shot my M16 for 4 years in the infantry (2/5) as a left handed shooter. I am also about to build my first AR and it will be set up right handed as well. Brass deflectors work but, its your rifle.

Speedpower
10-12-2011, 2:32 PM
Just buy this upper and be done with it!
http://www.riflegear.com/p-133-stag-arms-model-1hl-complete-upper-left-handed.aspx
http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/medium/133.jpg

Cinnaduma
10-12-2011, 2:47 PM
Guess I should have added that the reason I wanted to build it as a left handed out of the box is because I used my friends right handed and got tired of the brass hitting me.

When I was searching earlier I didn't see the Stag Complete upper. But now that I have that seems like the way to go.

Thanks

deviljon
10-12-2011, 2:51 PM
If you decide to go with a right-handed AR, you can get a basic complete one from Palmetto State Armory for like $550 + FFL fees and DROS.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2552.php (needs a lower)

You can also upgrade it with MOE parts (trigger guard, stock, grip, and handguard) for about $100 more.

n_saint
10-12-2011, 2:55 PM
I'm a lefty and all my AR's are right handed, never had any issues on brass hitting me on the face or right arm. All you need is an ambi selector and BAD lever and your gtg. Start with the lower and decide later on your upper receiver.

wash
10-12-2011, 3:06 PM
Guess I should have added that the reason I wanted to build it as a left handed out of the box is because I used my friends right handed and got tired of the brass hitting me.

When I was searching earlier I didn't see the Stag Complete upper. But now that I have that seems like the way to go.

Thanks
Did his AR have a shell deflector?

Was it over-gassed?

Most ARs don't do that.

Cinnaduma
10-12-2011, 3:11 PM
Did his AR have a shell deflector?

Was it over-gassed?

Most ARs don't do that.

It may have been. He had just completed the build on it and of course I was the first one to put it through its paces...he ended up putting it back in its case after that and he hasn't talked about it since.

I think I will go ahead and build it up right handed and just put the ambi selector on it for now. If I decide to switch it later I will look at some of the left handed parts at that time.

Thanks for all the info guys.

WW2Buff
10-12-2011, 5:00 PM
I think I will go ahead and build it up right handed and just put the ambi selector on it for now. If I decide to switch it later I will look at some of the left handed parts at that time.

That's a good decision on your part. I think you'll find you'll be happy with it as a left as long as it has a shell deflector. Focus on the more important stuff now but most importantly, don't forget to post pics when you're done! Happy building :D -Ben

ETA: Or build a featureless and stick the normal safety!

glock7
11-05-2011, 1:43 PM
I'm a lefty. Do not buy a lefty upper. The brass does not hit my arm nor my face. Run an ambi safety if you need to. Lefty upper? Not needed.

glock7
11-05-2011, 1:47 PM
Bad lever, that works for me also---just ditched the bad lever. numerous failure to lock back. an inherent problem with them that i've found in my search for answers. i ditched it and have had no malfs. go figure. ymmv.