View Full Version : unloaded locked carry?

10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
What are the rules pertaining to this??

For example, it should be legal to have, say, a Gunvault Nanovault 300 with the combo set to 1-0-0, but sitting locked at 0-0-0, with an unloaded handgun and loaded magazine inside sitting in the front passenger seat of my car, correct?

Would the above be legal if the case were inside my man-bag and I was out in public?

10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
There are lots of threads covering this in detail. Shouldn't be too hard to find them.

In your car you are generally correct, as long as you aren't on post office property or a few other no-no places.

On your person you are suppose to abide by PC 12026.2 destination restrictions. Read that law. Though if you are caught I also suppose they would have to prove you were not traveling to those destinations, so your worst enemy would be if you talked your own self into a charge.

10-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I agree with stix. What you described does sound legal, but it is best to read the laws for yourself to get a better understanding of exactly what you can do, and what is illegal for you to do.

10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone- it's that "directly to/from" wording I was ignorant about. All clear now.

Here's another scenario- I work close by to a firing range, but live a bit of a distance from both. So theoretically if I wanted to go over my lunch break to practice shooting, I would have to go home, get my firearm, take it to the firing range, take it back home, and then go back to work? Can't leave it locked up in my car while at the office? (why can't this be like golf, darnit!)...

10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I think that would depend on weather A: your employer doesn't mind that you have a gun in your car and B: If you are willing to leave your gun in your car while you are at work. I dont think leaving your LUCC firearms in your car would be illegal if they are in the trunk.
Iv done that same thing a few times myself. Gotta love the trips to the firing range on your lunch breaks.:28:

10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I would be comfortable doing what you did according to my understanding of the law.

10-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Awesome, thanks... I think I figured it out now- if I interpret 12026.1 correctly, I can leave it indefinitely locked up in the car...

So no problem if I drive to work... more of a problem if I take public transit... although it looks like 12026.2(b) might let me deviate to/from work because it's "reasonably necessary under the circumstances".

10-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Seach "LUCC"

If I don't have permission I may run into the issues in People v. Yarbrough - a completely wrong case that is binding until we can get Nordyke final. At the mall, you would be on private property that is publicly accessible and thus carrying dangerous weapons in publicly sensitive places per the Yarbrough court. (Horribly wrong on the law, but this is what happens when criminals try to use the 2A.) However note that nothing bars you from leaving the LCC in your car when you go into "public" private property.

Si I guess the question is "Was this resolved with Nordyke?"

10-12-2011, 1:31 PM
Seach "LUCC"
Si I guess the question is "Was this resolved with Nordyke?"

Thanks- I went through the 2nd amendment discussion forum topics but somehow this one didn't register in my head, or I browsed too fast to see it. This is good stuff! Mods feel free to delete, or incorporate into the other thread. Sorry!

10-12-2011, 1:36 PM
if I interpret 12026.1 correctly, I can leave it indefinitely locked up in the car...

Absolutely, if you are a US citizen. If you are not transporting or carrying in a car, it gets murkier.