PDA

View Full Version : SF sheriff election, candidate views?

CJSdrftFlat
10-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I am wondering about the candidate's views on the 2nd amendment so I can make an informed decision when I vote. Can someone point me in the correct direction?

BigDogatPlay
10-12-2011, 11:40 AM
If it's about candidate (current city supervisor) Ross Mirkarimi, this should help. (http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-08-15/bay-area/29888372_1_gun-laws-law-enforcement-officers-supervisors)

No one who could get themselves elected Sheriff of the City and County of San Francisco is going to be a friend of ours.

Bart1
10-12-2011, 11:47 AM
No one who could get themselves elected Sheriff of the City and County of San Francisco is going to be a friend of ours.

Exactly. Sad but very true.

Patrick Aherne
10-12-2011, 1:09 PM
You should vote for Miyamoto, he is the only qualified candidate running for SF Sheriff.

thedrickel
10-12-2011, 1:41 PM
Miyamoto is the only choice. Mainly because he's not Mirkarimi or Cunnie.

Gray Peterson
10-12-2011, 4:15 PM
You folks in San Francisco have Ranked Choice voting. Under NO circumstances should Ross Mirkarimi be any of your choices, either.

FLIGHT762
10-12-2011, 4:43 PM
You should vote for Miyamoto, he is the only qualified candidate running for SF Sheriff.

Take Pat's ^^^^^^^^^ word for it.

Miyamoto is the only choice. Mainly because he's not Mirkarimi or Cunnie.

Agree 100%.

Paul Miyamoto is the best candidate. I know him. He's a standup guy and is much more LTC friendly than anyone else. I know this for a fact.

themethod
10-12-2011, 5:05 PM
Good to know. Thanks!

glbtrottr
10-12-2011, 5:19 PM
Sick of the politics of that city. They screw it up for the entire state.

CJSdrftFlat
10-12-2011, 8:25 PM
thanks for the info.

Bart1
10-13-2011, 7:53 AM
Yup, thanks for the info on Miyamoto.

dotalchemy
10-13-2011, 8:35 AM
Sadly, I'm not a citizen, so I can't vote. :(

Patrick Aherne
10-13-2011, 4:08 PM
Sadly, I'm not a citizen, so I can't vote. :(

That's never stopped folks from voting in SF! LOL

For the Record: I do not advocate violating the law, my comment was sarcasm based on growing up in SF.

CCWFacts
10-19-2011, 4:28 PM
Just in case anyone was considering voting for Mirkarimi:

San Francisco businesses that hire people with felony convictions would get a tax break, under legislation expected to be introduced today.

"Ex-felons are among the most challenged populations in getting work," said Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, who is crafting the plan.

Source (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/17/BAT31LISSG.DTL)

He wants to pay business $10,000 for every felon they hire. Is that a good use of your tax dollars? Would it be better to give out $10,000 per felon, or take the same money and turn it into a scholarship for people to get firearms tactical training?

I guess he thinks that unemployed non-felons should go to the back of the line?

Skidmark
10-19-2011, 4:49 PM

Source (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/17/BAT31LISSG.DTL)

He wants to pay business $10,000 for every felon they hire. Is that a good use of your tax dollars? Would it be better to give out $10,000 per felon, or take the same money and turn it into a scholarship for people to get firearms tactical training?

Politicians come up with all sorts of batso-crazy ideas, but this has nothing to do Mirakanian's poor gun-rights stance.

I'm all in favor of getting ex-cons back re-integrated into society, and a man who's done his time is as viable a candidate as any other.

clhking
10-19-2011, 5:34 PM
Hi Mr. King,

I apologize for delaying in reply to your email. Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.

Everything happen for a reason.

Reason for SB610 to exist is because most of the California Local Law Enforcement agencies have never taken their time to review the permits for Carry Conceal Weapon and reply to the applicants. SB610 is to prevent further lawsuit from a Southern California court case which a few law enforcement agencies lost in the court.

I believe that we should not undertake and give up our 2nd Amendment Right of our Constitutions. I further believe that innocent Californians should not be penalized from our government making laws to force us to give up our right while criminal still out there with weapons. I don't believe that only the law enforcement should be able to carry conceal weapon. I do believe that anyone have psychiatric history should be able to carry or own a firearm. Unfortunately our system only emphasize criminal background but not the mental history.

If I am the Sheriff, I would first, encourage our law makers to also focus making law to prevent CCW issue to anyone who had mental history; then I would send deputized staff through Peace Officers Standard and Training to be trained how to review, respond, grant/deny a CCW permit.

I hope I was able to answer your question regarding SB610 and CCW question.

Thank you again for getting to me directly and maybe I win your vote,

David Wong

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM, <clhking@gmail.com> wrote:

Mr. Wong,

Because you don't have a lot of public statements out on the internet and because I'd like to find out directly from the candidate:

What are your views on how, recently signed, SB610 will have on how your office, if elected, would process CCW applications for the County of San Francisco?

In June, Chief of Police Suhr made statements that he didn't want anyone in San Francisco carrying a firearm who was not law enforcement. Do you agree with him?

What do you think of trained and qualified citizens carrying firearms in the County of San Francisco for self-defense?

Thank you,

Christopher King
Resident, City of San Francisco

Skidmark
10-19-2011, 7:36 PM
With such atrocious writing, Mr. Wong would do well to have a staff member with proper command of English language and grammar edit any of his correspondences. He does seem to be on the right side, though rather muddled on some facts. His statement that "I do believe that anyone have psychiatric history should be able to carry or own a firearm" is at odds with his other statements.

nicki
10-19-2011, 9:51 PM
I wouldn't approach CCW from a 2nd amendment angle, I would approach it from a "Equal protection" angle.

So, it would go something like the following.

The sheriff is required to set policies for CCW permits. The courts have already ruled in "Salute vs Pitchess" that "Zero issue" is not an exercise of discretion, it is an abuse of power.

Two federal courts have already ruled that we have a right to bear arms outside of the home and since the state just banned open carry, concealed carry is the only means to exercise a fundamental right to bear arms.

The current policies of the San Francisco Sheriffs department deny equal protection to applicants, as such they violate the 2nd, 9th and 14th amendment of our bill of rights and they turn art 1 sec 7b of the the california constitution on it's head.

Since you are running to be the top law enforcement official in the county, are you going to honor your oath of office, or are you going to continue the discriminatory and unconstitutional policies of your predessessor.

Nicki

Calm Down
10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
I was hired by SFSD in 2000 and left in 2002. Paul was the Senior Deputy assigned to my orientation class. He is bright, patient and respectable. When he made Sgt. he occasionally worked at my facility. I admire him alot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you living in S.F.; Paul is the only choice for Sheriff. http://www.miyamoto4sheriff.com/

Connor P Price
10-19-2011, 10:49 PM
This reminds me of an episode of South Park. The boys had the chance to vote for their school mascot to be either a "Giant Douche" or a "Turd Sandwich." SF residents, those are your two options, and in the interest of voting for the less of two evils, vote against Mirkarimi.

Gray Peterson
10-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Actually it's even better.

San Francisco has ranked choice voting. There are 4 choices for sheriff. Mr. Wong at least seems to be the friendliest (tho he's being a complete copout in a lot of ways). You can only vote for 3 choices.

SF BOS Instant Runoff Voting Explanation (http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=876)

None of those three choices should be Mirkarimi. Are we quite clear?

Hopalong
10-20-2011, 6:44 AM
If it's about candidate (current city supervisor) Ross Mirkarimi, this should help. (http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-08-15/bay-area/29888372_1_gun-laws-law-enforcement-officers-supervisors)

Knowing the politics of the area.

It seems the choice would be between bad and worse.

And what's really upsetting, is that you probably wouldn't know which is which.

Skidmark
10-20-2011, 6:51 AM
Paul Miyamoto is the best candidate. I know him. He's a standup guy and is much more LTC friendly than anyone else. I know this for a fact.

I was hired by SFSD in 2000 and left in 2002. Paul was the Senior Deputy assigned to my orientation class. He is bright, patient and respectable. When he made Sgt. he occasionally worked at my facility. I admire him alot.

Even if we don't live in SF, we can help Miyamoto - by donating to his campaign.

http://www.miyamoto4sheriff.com/

Skidmark
10-26-2011, 8:45 PM
Finally, some media coverage of the SF sheriff race. Good to see, even in an opinion column.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/26/BAQA1LMI6F.DTL

1911_sfca
10-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I was on three phone calls with all three candidates where we asked about various issues, including CCWs for custodial deputies. Miyamoto commented on how the Sheriff's Department had recently completed a CCW issuance policy he was happy with. He noted that not only does he support CCWs for LEOs, he would also consider them for city residents. He stated this without being prompted. So on CCW issues, of the three top candidates I think you'll find he has the most concrete and developed ideas on the subject and also has an open mind.

Skidmark
10-27-2011, 6:43 AM
I was on three phone calls with all three candidates where we asked about various issues, including CCWs for custodial deputies. Miyamoto commented on how the Sheriff's Department had recently completed a CCW issuance policy he was happy with. He noted that not only does he support CCWs for LEOs, he would also consider them for city residents. He stated this without being prompted. So on CCW issues, of the three top candidates I think you'll find he has the most concrete and developed ideas on the subject and also has an open mind.

If I remember right, that policy was NOT modeled after the CGF template, and was seen as expensive, burdensome, and filled with roadblocks. Still, progress on LTC is incremental - and having a sheriff "more open" to issuing LTC to residents is better than one who will refuse to consider it.

1911_sfca
10-27-2011, 1:28 PM
If I remember right, that policy was NOT modeled after the CGF template, and was seen as expensive, burdensome, and filled with roadblocks.

What's your point? They didn't do it your way, or the "ideal" logical way, and so..?

Still, progress on LTC is incremental - and having a sheriff "more open" to issuing LTC to residents is better than one who will refuse to consider it.

The question was around candidate views. All of the candidates will give you a politically correct answer, but Miyamoto has actually thought about it and has some concrete views that are in stark contrast to the way things are now. In my view, that's a good thing.

Jason P
10-27-2011, 1:39 PM

Use the 10K to buy a barge to tote these criminals out to sea, and sink it. Then use the rest to pay for mandatory civilian firearms training:)

Skidmark
10-27-2011, 4:23 PM
The question was around candidate views. All of the candidates will give you a politically correct answer, but Miyamoto has actually thought about it and has some concrete views that are in stark contrast to the way things are now. In my view, that's a good thing.

I agree. I sent him a C-note last week, and wish him best of luck in the campaign.

Skidmark
10-27-2011, 4:26 PM
Use the 10K to buy a barge to tote these criminals out to sea, and sink it. Then use the rest to pay for mandatory civilian firearms training:)

Your attitude sucks - Ex-cons have done their time, let's help them reintegrate into society.

Gray Peterson
10-27-2011, 4:46 PM
The three candidates you should put in are:

Choice 1) Paul Miyamoto
Choice 2) David Wong

(I'm not sure which one here is more pro-gun, but vote accordingly)

Choice 3) Chris Cunnie

No choice should be Ross Mirkirami.

Skidmark
11-06-2011, 4:03 PM
My elderly parents are still in San Francisco, and even without my prodding, have marked their ballots for Miyamoto, based on conversations with neighbors. If good positive words about him are reaching my folks, then he's definitely got a strong base of support.