PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Grendel to be SAAMI standardized

rojocorsa
10-12-2011, 8:38 AM
This is pretty awesome, as it seems Bill Alexander has had a change of heart with this. Great news for all, especially given the potential in this. I've been a fan of this cartridge for some time now.

6.5mm Grendel now SAAMI cartridge. AK rifles chambered in 6.5mm coming soon. | The Firearm Blog (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/12/6-5mm-grendel-now-saami-cartridge-ak-rifles-chambered-in-6-5mm-coming-soon/)

Also, if you see the link--the Russians will do great things with this cartridge too. Cheap ammo and AKs in an "awesomer" caliber. Hell yeah!

;) :cool: :D

yellowfin
10-12-2011, 8:41 AM
I'm interested to see who will make AR uppers in 6.5 now, and really curious as to whether I'll do both 6.5 and 6.8 or go with one vs. the other.

bob7122
10-12-2011, 8:45 AM
i would love to have a saiga chambered in 6.5mm. :clap::mnl::jump::party:

shafferds
10-12-2011, 9:14 AM
Means ammo should come down in price a bit if more of these are made *i hope

BajaJames83
10-12-2011, 9:23 AM
Good to know, I may have to look into that for my next ar upper... I was thinking about a .30 cal, but the 6.5 looks like a good alternative

osis32
10-12-2011, 9:31 AM
Well this is good news. Guess I'll have to get a 6.5 upper now.

Paper Boy
10-12-2011, 9:35 AM
I hope that means brass wont be .80 cents a piece now.... Been handloading this for a while now but would be nice to get more factory options.

21SF
10-12-2011, 9:39 AM
Looks like they could have sold more uppers and guns if they had done this from the beginning, judging by the responses here.

RugerNo1
10-12-2011, 9:54 AM
I hope that means brass wont be .80 cents a piece now.... Been handloading this for a while now but would be nice to get more factory options.

Agreed, I am patiently awaiting cheaper brass alternatives. One of the 6.5 Grendel wildcats will be calling my name then. :D

21SF
10-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Cant you guys make grendel brass from 7.62x39 brass?

rojocorsa
10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I actually don't know too much about the cartridge besides the general stuff.

Could a DMR AR in 6.5 compete toe to toe against a 7.62mm DMR AR? I know it probably can accuracy wise, but what about lethality and power?

xrMike
10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Cool, I keep coming back to the idea of doing a 6.5 Grendel build next... It seems like such a great cartridge.

Paper Boy
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Cant you guys make grendel brass from 7.62x39 brass?

Yes but I would rather get good brass that I dont have to fire form....

Modimo
10-12-2011, 3:16 PM
This is great news that I have been hoping for, for a long time! I would love to see this great caliber finally go somewhat mainstream with more choices on uppers and ammo!

SandDiegoDuner
10-12-2011, 3:48 PM
Must have been all that stuff I purchased from Alexander Arms...

And to all you guys looking for brass they do have AA brass on sale for 55 cents each right now.

Now if only bullets were a little cheaper.

RugerNo1
10-12-2011, 3:55 PM
Is AA brass still AA headstamped Lapua brass?

triggs75
10-12-2011, 5:02 PM
Nice, 6.5 back on the build list :D

NapaCountyShooter
10-12-2011, 6:43 PM
Looking at this as my next build. Like others, I'd like a little cheaper brass.

thmpr
10-12-2011, 6:59 PM
Finally!!! Bill accurately predicted the timeframe accurately! Way to go Bill A.!

hammerhands32
10-12-2011, 7:09 PM
I'd love an 18" upper for pig hunting. 6.5 is definitely a great round

Paper Boy
10-13-2011, 5:52 AM
I'd love an 18" upper for pig hunting. 6.5 is definitely a great round

Thats actually why I re-built mine a few years back. Started with a 24 inch and decided I wanted something more practical. Have just not had the time to actually go hunting with it yet.... It shoots really well. I got my hand loads down to group at about an inch at 100 yards and called it good.

goodlookin1
10-13-2011, 6:08 AM
They HAD to do this. It doesnt make sense why they hadnt done it already. There are already plenty of manufacturers that have basically copied the chamber specs with only SLIGHT changes, like the .264lbc, 6.5 SAOD, and others. They were basically the same thing and AA had to have been losing money on this project. By now opening up the spiggot for more ammo and widely accepted uniform specs, it will make it a more popular cartridge (hint: More uppers and rifles sold).

There are just so many caliber/cartridge options out there today that you can't really play anything close to the chest and expect to make a good profit, and have it be extremely popular.

hammerhands32
10-13-2011, 7:41 AM
http://www.fortune3.com/alexarms/img-453-820.jpg

I've been looking at this barrel to go with a mega MTS upper or even the Armalite SPR. Cold feet is what is holding me back.
http://megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/MTS-MODULAR/loader.html
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15003062&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=fb7d6511-0276-4a7b-9096-79c1c179133a

SandDiegoDuner
10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Is AA brass still AA headstamped Lapua brass?

Yes it is still Lapua brass with AA's headstamp... and still with the small vent which makes depriming a pain.

I just ground down the depriming pin until it fit through the vent easily.

Thats actually why I re-built mine a few years back. Started with a 24 inch and decided I wanted something more practical. Have just not had the time to actually go hunting with it yet.... It shoots really well. I got my hand loads down to group at about an inch at 100 yards and called it good.

1" groups at 100 yards? Keep working on those hand loads... I have shot a 1" group at 200 yards with my setup.

RugerNo1
10-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Yes it is still Lapua brass with AA's headstamp... and still with the small vent which makes depriming a pain.

I just ground down the depriming pin until it fit through the vent easily.

Yah, Lapua likes the small flash hole. I believe you can find replacement decapping pins for the small flash hole as well if people do not want to grind down thier existing pins. Or, get a flash hole reamer to ream out the hole to the larger size.

wash
10-13-2011, 1:27 PM
Grendle AKs will be neat but the AR is still hard to fit, the bolt dimensions and case taper are not very compatible with the barrel extension and mag well.

I still would much rather have a 6.5*47 in an AR10 package.

k1dude
10-13-2011, 5:59 PM
You should all thank me for this happening.

Because I just built a Grendel and bought 1,000 rounds of ammo, all at high prices. Now it will all become much cheaper since I paid the big bucks.

Story of my life.

rojocorsa
10-14-2011, 11:27 AM
You should all thank me for this happening.

Because I just built a Grendel and bought 1,000 rounds of ammo, all at high prices. Now it will all become much cheaper since I paid the big bucks.

Story of my life.

Thank you!

Took one for the team. :patriot:

thrillhouse700
10-14-2011, 1:48 PM
This is good, I will wait a year to see what ammo prices look like before I build.

yellowfin
10-14-2011, 4:15 PM
Being able to use AK stripper clips is very handy.

Dhena81
10-14-2011, 6:49 PM
I sure do love my LMT MRP

From what I've read this cartridge has lots of potential of really streamlining our military if they did choose it 6.5 for general issue and DMR and 338LM for bolt guns.

goodlookin1
10-15-2011, 8:58 AM
I really wonder if standardizing the Grendel will really help that much. I mean, look at the 6.8 SPC.....I know there's some issues surrounding the SAAMI SPC and the SPC II, which is NOT SAAMI, but still. The 6.8 is still expensive compared to 5.56 and .223....brass, ammo, it's all too much IMO and not worth it unless you have a department paying your expenses for practice.

Unfortunately, I see the Grendel staying the same way, at least for the foreseeable future. It would take MANY new manufacturers and MANY more buyers to actually get the prices to drop. A 6.5 AK might be a game changer, or oversees cheap ammo could also drastically help, but outside of it becoming a more popular and widely used cartridge, I dont see anything changing.

Still good to see it standardized so we dont have a bunch of names for basically the same chamber.

winxp_man
10-15-2011, 9:49 AM
^^^^ the issues was only with saami spc chamber. The barrels that were chrom lined were over pressuring and you could not shoot hot loads with out the risk of rifle blowing up. The SPC II chamber is all good to go now and does not have the issues the SPC chamber had. The SPC II chamber is cut with a longer chamber allowing for more pressure.

As for ammo I can get hornady 110 V-max rounds for 16.00 a box after taxes which is not bad at all considering it hasn't been around that long.

But the argument 6.8 vs 6.5 for long range hands down the 6.5 for shots out to 500 I would be a either rounds. I have my 6.8 woa upper that will get me .5 moa with good ammo :D

I really hope they do standardize the 6.5 Grendel though. I have a lower that I plan on putting a 6.5 Grendel on.

skylovia
10-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Would this round need a new style of magazine?(in an AK)

winxp_man
10-15-2011, 11:30 AM
From the top of my head it will fit in a 6.8 SPC mag. The lower will be a regular AR-15 lower.

starsnuffer
10-15-2011, 6:18 PM
I really wonder if standardizing the Grendel will really help that much. I mean, look at the 6.8 SPC.....I know there's some issues surrounding the SAAMI SPC and the SPC II, which is NOT SAAMI, but still. The 6.8 is still expensive compared to 5.56 and .223....brass, ammo, it's all too much IMO and not worth it unless you have a department paying your expenses for practice.

Unfortunately, I see the Grendel staying the same way, at least for the foreseeable future. It would take MANY new manufacturers and MANY more buyers to actually get the prices to drop. A 6.5 AK might be a game changer, or oversees cheap ammo could also drastically help, but outside of it becoming a more popular and widely used cartridge, I dont see anything changing.

Still good to see it standardized so we dont have a bunch of names for basically the same chamber.

The advantage of the military using 6.5 Grendel is that Grendel fits in the 5.56 mags (albeit 26 rounds instead of 30), 6.8 needs new magazines (25 rounds per mag), which also means new magazine pouches and all the associated hardware that goes along with it.

-W

Ravenslair
10-15-2011, 9:30 PM
I'm interested to see who will make AR uppers in 6.5 now, and really curious as to whether I'll do both 6.5 and 6.8 or go with one vs. the other.

I went both and am very happy I did. Two different beasts. Each is worth having.

killshot44
10-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Late to the party but to clarify:
AA brass is NOT sourced from Lapua.....it's from Hornady. You do get what you pay for with Lapua brass, though.

The Grendel fits in standard mags but uses a specific follower.

Its based on the dimensions of the 6PPC, arguably the most accurate round ever developed.

And it will never, ever be adopted by the military.

justjeff
10-15-2011, 10:44 PM
awesome new's now I just wish there was more 450 bushmaster out there. I'm def. going to pick up a 6.5 bbl and carrier next time I have funds

Rust
10-16-2011, 8:15 AM
The Grendel or 6.8 conversion requires a bolt, barrel and magazine. Standard mags will not work with either of them. The ribs are too close together to get the rounds to stack properly and feed.
The big thing the 6.5 has going for it right now is the imported ammo. If Wolf's new deal for steel case ammo provides a decent quality round and we start seeing mags and barrels for the AK it will bring the price down quite a bit. They changed manufacturers so we can hope that some of the problems with the old wolf ammo will be fixed. Still it should get ammo prices down to where anyone can afford to shot it.
AA has brass from both Hornady and Lapua available though I'm unsure what brand they're currently using for their loaded ammo. 7.62x39 can be necked down and fire formed to 6.5G pretty easily and cheaply. I've had good luck with KP (Lapua) brass that I had been buying for 20C a piece prior to there being better availability for factory brass. Case capacity is slightly reduced but the loads both fire forming (with quality components) and with formed brass have shot and functioned very well for me.

Paper Boy
10-17-2011, 2:51 PM
1" groups at 100 yards? Keep working on those hand loads... I have shot a 1" group at 200 yards with my setup.

I know I can do better I just got it to an inch and called it good for now, to many other projects to play with. Someday I will really work up a good load for it though. Now my varment gun now there is a tack driver :43: