PDA

View Full Version : Gun liability

pkc168
10-12-2011, 9:12 AM
I've read a lot of threads here, and there are a lot of generous calgunners who are willing to share and let others try out their gun.
When I am at range, sometimes would strike conversation with a stranger, we would talk about guns and they sometimes ask to shoot my gun or they would offer me to shoot their gun. I would always let them shoot my gun if asked, for the few times I did this and I kind of regretted afterwards.
Thinking about liability...
What happens if my gun blows up in their hand and cause any type of injury? Am I liable for that incident? Could the person sue me for damages? I know the chances of this happening are rare, but still could happen.
I like to hear what others thought of this...

Mr. Beretta
10-12-2011, 9:20 AM
Sorry

Nobody shoots my guns other than my family!

johnny_22
10-12-2011, 9:36 AM
I have an home umbrella policy that will be any lawsuit starting point. I also have the NRA insurance for range mishaps of $250k, which is more specific. Recently added the NRA RO insurance for USPSA work.

I usually only loan to family and family friends, not strangers. But, you can't be too careful.

Keep in mind, gun blow-up: rare. Sweeping hand with muzzle with finger on trigger: more probable with a stranger.

voiceofreason
10-12-2011, 9:46 AM
I wouldn't hand over a gun with reloaded ammo in it (I think they're safe, but I just wouldn't).

Factory ammo, yes.

Is it a risk if he accidentally shoots someone? Yes, I believe it'll be a nightmare.

Being a member of a community means being willing to go outside of oneself sometimes.

If he's a moron and acts like it, no. Jackasses, I simply ignore/avoid.

If he can handle his own guns safely, yes.

I've lent .22s to beginning shooters struggling with their rented .45s and 9mms along with impromptu basic shooting lessons (emphasis on muzzle awareness and trigger finger discipline).

Not a good idea? Agreed. I still do it nonetheless.

Not a likely risk, but can be a BIG one if things go South.

stix213
10-12-2011, 9:57 AM
If you haven't been negligent with your maintenance of your firearm or your ammo choice, then I don't see a serious risk. The gun maker is more at risk. I am not a lawyer

Dell
10-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I've never given any thought to letting someone else use my guns. If they are at the range with their own guns shooting I see no reason why I shouldn't let them run a few rounds through mine. Someone asks I simply say sure. You can shoot mine if I can shoot yours.

jyo
10-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I too have shared guns while out shooting and often get asked to teach people "how to shoot"---always safety first and always start with a 22 rifle (usually my old Remington Nylon 66). This probably has resulted in some increased liability on my part---I have worked very hard to control the situation regarding safety first and still believe in promoting our sport. How can you not respond when someone asks you to show their kid (in the presence of their parents) how to safety handle a firearm? A difficult situation.

duckman1
10-12-2011, 7:14 PM
You can be sued for anything by anyone. If this concerns you buy the maximum limits available on your homeowners or renters policy. Then buy an excess or umbrella policy with limits high enough that you can sleep at night.

In a nutshell yes you can be sued if you loan your gun and someone is injured or killed.

pkc168
10-13-2011, 1:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, I will stay safe and not let others shoot my gun except for families.

voiceofreason
10-13-2011, 8:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, I will stay safe and not let others shoot my gun except for families.

They're the ones that will negligently shoot someone else. Strangers will be more careful with a stranger's gun.

bruceflinch
10-13-2011, 9:45 PM
I've never given any thought to letting someone else use my guns. If they are at the range with their own guns shooting I see no reason why I shouldn't let them run a few rounds through mine. Someone asks I simply say sure. You can shoot mine if I can shoot yours.

I'm Guilty. This Nanny State can kiss my you-know-what..

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
If you let family shoot it, definitely make sure you familiarize them with the gun and safety features first and how to Empty Check the weapon so they don't point it at you loaded while talking to you. When I took my friend with me to the gun range, I loaded the weapon and had him watch how I loaded it then had him watch how I fired it. Then once it was empty I did a Safety Check/E Check (whatever you wanna call it) and set it on the platform they have (with the clip separated from the gun and the slide back).

They're the ones that will negligently shoot someone else. Strangers will be more careful with a stranger's gun.

That's very true! I still would be very careful with letting someone use your gun down range.