PDA

View Full Version : C&R Licence question

bonzaiii
10-12-2011, 7:18 AM
I was filling out the application when I came across question # 18C-Are you in possession of a valid hunting lic., then it states if you answered "no" you likely cannot fully posses a firearm and cannot be a federal firearm licencee.
I do not have a hunting license, so does that affect me of is that just If I'm applying for a FFL and not the C&L ?

Second question is who do I sent the second copy to, Who is considered my Chief Law enforcement officer and how so I get a mailing address, I'm assuming mailing it in is acceptable.

bhaworth
10-12-2011, 7:23 AM
What is your form number and version? This question was not on my application last year. In fact there is no question / Box 18 on my C&R FFL Application form!

morrcarr67
10-12-2011, 7:26 AM
That's a new one on me. I have 2 licenses and I don't remember that ever being on the forms I filled out.

As long as you are able to purchase a firearm you should have nothing to worry about.

Who come to your house when you dial 911? Is it the City PD or the County SD?

Who ever that is you can look up online for the website for that department. It will have their address and the name of the CLEO.

morrcarr67
10-12-2011, 7:29 AM
What is your form number and version? This question was not on my application last year. In fact there is no question / Box 18 on my C&R FFL Application form!

It's actually question 10 (C). The OP was looking at this "18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)" and thought it was the question #

hifiguns
10-12-2011, 7:30 AM
It only applies to nonimmigrant aliens.

CLEO is the county sheriff for unincorporated areas or your city chief of police. For example, in LA city, the CLEO is Charlie Beck. You can get the address online or call your local police or sheriff.

TheExpertish
10-12-2011, 7:38 AM

CLEO is the county sheriff for unincorporated areas or your city chief of police. For example, in LA city, the CLEO is Charlie Beck. You can get the address online or call your local police or sheriff.

Yeah, you don't need to fill it out. I thought the same thing.

MaHoTex
10-12-2011, 8:39 AM
^^^ This ^^^

mariposawrick
10-12-2011, 5:17 PM
Good thread, answers suit me.

I will be applying for my first C&R license on the assumption I need it to acquire an old rifle. What is the time needed to qualify for the license and how long must I have it before acquiring a firearm with it? Thanks, Chad in SF and Mariposa

TheExpertish
10-12-2011, 5:23 PM

I will be applying for my first C&R license on the assumption I need it to acquire an old rifle. What is the time needed to qualify for the license and how long must I have it before acquiring a firearm with it? Thanks, Chad in SF and Mariposa

The application process from mailing it in to getting it in your hands is anywhere from 3 weeks, to 3 months. I got mine in 20 days. As soon as you have it it takes a business day or 3 to set up the account with the various dealers who accept 03FFL's and then you're free to purchase away.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-12-2011, 5:30 PM
...I will be applying for my first C&R license on the assumption I need it to acquire an old rifle...

You do not need to become a C&R FFL in order to acquire old rifles. You can acquire them the "normal" way at gun shops without being a C&R FFL. You can also acquire them directly from other California residents if the rifle (or shotgun) is over 50 years old.

Cokebottle
10-12-2011, 5:33 PM
I was filling out the application when I came across question # 18C-Are you in possession of a valid hunting lic., then it states if you answered "no" you likely cannot fully posses a firearm and cannot be a federal firearm licencee.
I do not have a hunting license, so does that affect me of is that just If I'm applying for a FFL and not the C&L ?
The form that you want is ATF F 5310.16 (http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf) (Form 7CR)
That question applies only to non-resident aliens.
If you are a US citizen or a resident alien (green card), complete section 9 and skip section 10. Go directly to question 11.
Second question is who do I sent the second copy to, Who is considered my Chief Law enforcement officer and how so I get a mailing address, I'm assuming mailing it in is acceptable.
When you call the cops, who shows up? The local PD or the Sheriff's office? Be careful, San Bernardino County Sheriff serves under contract to Chino Hills and the cars are marked "Chino Hills" but they are also clearly marked "San Bernardino County Sheriff."

Best place to find who and where to send it is your city's (or county's) web site. Simply locate the Police Chief or County Sheriff and mail it to him/her at the listed address.
No cover letter is needed (I did include one), and no reply is needed.
You will have fulfilled your legal obligation the moment you put the stamped envelope in the mail.

Cokebottle
10-12-2011, 5:38 PM

Shameless crosspost from another thread because I don't want to retype it....

With only a C&R, for a person buying/selling only within California, the C&R is actually a liability.
1 - Person to person long guns are cash and carry for everyone - Disadvantage C&R because of the bound book
2 - C&R handguns require an FFL, no different than a modern handgun, for both dealer purchases and PPT - Disadvantage C&R because of the bound book
3 - Dealer purchases of both C&R long guns and handguns are still subject to DROS and 10 day wait, handguns are still subject to 1 every 39 limitations - Disadvantage C&R because of the bound book entry
4 - All C&R handgun purchases made from your California location must go through an FFL... same as with a modern handgun, if you order a handgun from JG Sales, it must come in through an FFL - Disadvantage C&R because of the bound book

The person making purchases outside of California begins to see some of the advantages:
1 - C&R long guns may be ordered online and shipped to your door.
2 - C&R handguns and long guns may be purchased when you are physically outside of California following the laws of the state of purchase, and imported to California. Handguns must be registered ($19 per) within 5 days of your return to California, long guns simply go into your safe.
So if Arizona allows "cash and carry" after the NICS check, then you may purchase any non-NFA/non-AW C&R under those parameters and bring them home. This includes both private and dealer purchases.
Take AN UNSIGNED COPY OF YOUR 03FFL with you to AZ or NV, present it to the FFL, sign the copy in his presence, complete the 4473, and go on your merry way.

Why did I bold AN UNSIGNED COPY OF YOUR 03FFL and repeat it?
Because everyone gets their 03 and signs it as soon as they open the envelope. NEVER SIGN YOUR ORIGINAL!!!!! Instead, take YOUR UNSIGNED ORIGINAL 03FFL to Kinko's and make a hundred copies of it.
File your original 03 in your safe, with your personal documents, or, I framed mine and it hangs on the wall next to the safe.

When you want to make a C&R purchase, take some unsigned copies with you. Some vendors like Midway, J&G, Brownell's, and others offer discounts for 03. For those, you will sign a copy and mail it with a cover letter including your email address and login userID.
I've paid for 20 years worth of renewing my 03 with my purchases from Midway. I've had my 03 for 2 years and have still never made a C&R purchase.

Okay... That's out of the way.

So other than the discounts, why should a California-bound person get an 03 since it's only advantage is direct home delivery of long guns?

Get the California Certificate of Eligibility.
It'll cost between $100 and $120, depending on your LiveScan fees. It's $22/year for application and renewal.

The 03FFL in combination with a COE allows:
Cash and carry of dealer-purchased C&R handguns and long guns. No 10 day waiting period for C&Rs.
Elimination of the 1-every-30 day limit for dealer-purchases of handguns (both C&R and modern, though some FFLs do not recognize the exemption for modern handguns due to a FUD-Bomb memo from AG Bill Lockyer where he quoted the law and added a phrase of his own that is not in the law).

Additionally, if DeLeon and his cronies are ever successful in pushing through son-of-AB962, grandson-of-AB962, great-grandson-of-AB962, etc... the 03FFL in combination with the COE will exempt the holder from the mail-order ammo purchase prohibitions.

a1c
10-12-2011, 5:53 PM

Just as a side note, and from personal experience: you are absolutely right. But when I did NOT fill out the information for that question (I am and was at the time an immigrant alien), my application was returned with a request from the ATF agent to fill it out (even though I had provided a copy of my green card with my application).

So I dutifully filled out the non-applicable line, inserted a copy of my needed hunter's license, and added a letter explaining why I had not answered that question in the first place, since I am a permanent resident.

Just goes to show ATF agents probably are no more educated about immigration issues than the general public. Also made me realize there probably aren't that many non-US citizens with a FFL03 license.