PDA

View Full Version : Long Gun Registration bill and last weeks DC

underthegun13
10-12-2011, 8:06 AM
There are a lot of folks talking about the bill signing for long gun registration and referencing the recent DC case saying the new bill will overturned soon. But as we saw in DC v. Heller, the Sup Court ruled that DC was unique in that it was a federal enclave (therefore it falls diretly under the constitution, where the 2nd Amendment falls into selective incorporation for states). And as I read it, it appears the ruling in DC last week upheld the regulations to ownership applied after Heller. I know McDonald v. Chicago left us with the 2nd amendment being incorporated to the states through due process clause of the 14th Amendment, is this reasoning for why the recent DC case will establish precedent for overturning the recent registration bill? It appears it was only the dissenting opinion (Kavanaugh) in last week's case that called the regs unconstitutional under Heller. The majority appears to back the regulations.

Am I seeing this right? If anyone can explain this to me with any amount of clarity, I'd appreciate it. Sorry if this is information that has been beaten to death on here the past few days. I tried looking at some posts and didn't see anything that specifically addressed what I'm asking.