PDA

View Full Version : My Father's First Gun... Intra-Familiar Tansfers?

Highlands858
10-12-2011, 2:04 AM
How does one go about doing one legally? I've done some searches, but I need help.

Here's the deal:

I've taken my father shooting several times now, and now he wants to buy his first handgun. He wants a Glock 17, just like my first handgun. I tried to set up a couple of deals to do the transfer in his name, but I think I scared people off with the "third party transfer" crap.

I'd like to give him this gun as a gift, but the ten-day wait kills the gift. My dream gift is to have him open the gun in his lap, with holster and mag pouch (that I made myself) standing by to go shooting later that day. Is that an unrealistic dream, or can I actually make it happen?

I know he'll have to fill out some paperwork and probably send it in to be verified, but what's the easiest way to actually put a gun in his hands that he owns on the day that I want to give it to him?

Thanks for any and all replies, and if you'd like to be a part of this and are in the LA area, please contact me.

Quiet
10-12-2011, 5:30 AM
Easiest way to do what you want...

1. You buy the handgun, do the 4473/DROS and 10 day wait.
2. After you pick up the handgun, you gift wrap it.
3. Your father gets a HSC.
4. You then hand the handgun over to your father.
5. He unwraps it and enjoys his handgun.
6. Within 30 days of recieving the handgun, your father sends in an Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) with payment to CA DOJ.

Under CA laws [PC 12078(c)]...
Firearm transfers between a grandparent-parent-child-grandchild, that are both CA residents, are exempt from needing to be transfered through a CA FFL dealer.
If the firearm is a handgun, then the recipiant needs a HSC and needs to be 18 or older.

Penal Code 12078
(c)(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family.
(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family and all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person to whom the firearm is transferred shall, within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this paragraph shall be provided to them by the Department of Justice.
(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a basic firearms safety certificate. If taking possession on or after January 1, 2003, the person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a handgun safety certificate.
(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.
(3) As used in this subdivision, "immediate family member" means any one of the following relationships:
(A) Parent and child.
(B) Grandparent and grandchild.

bruceflinch
10-12-2011, 7:06 AM
Be a rebel. Buy a gun. Give it to Dad. You get it back when he passes away, in hopefully what will be a long time.

fiddletown
10-12-2011, 7:34 AM
Be a rebel. Buy a gun. Give it to Dad. ...And be not only a rebel but also a criminal.

Quiet gave you the straight dope on how to do it legally.

BTW, this assumes that both you and your father are residents of California. If not, federal law requires that the transfer be done by an FFL in the State in which your father resides.

Highlands858
10-12-2011, 1:19 PM
Thanks for the info and the link. Most Helpful.