PDA

View Full Version : ,,,,,

Foriegn power
10-11-2011, 10:42 PM

DavidR310
10-12-2011, 3:28 AM
.22lr, bb & air guns use the small rail. The rest use the larger one.

guys think this will work for my Savage model FV?

It should.

BSlacker
10-12-2011, 5:06 AM
That thing you selected is a 11mm grove clamp, definitely won't work. The modern Savage FV is drilled and tapped and doesn't have groves. Older Savages can use a 3/8ths grove but they haven't done this in a few years and if you have a Accutrigger it is surely a drilled and tapped receiver. Use one of these they are the best.:) The rifle should come with two little useless Weaver rails mounted.
http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-mark-ii-and-93-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/

After this is mounted use normal weaver rail scope mounts in the height you want.
The 1 3/8th is the size of the ejection port on a 22lr FV the 1 5/8th is the ejection port of a model 93 22 magnum. This is for older models. The drill and tap is the same on these two just the ejection port is bigger on the magnum. To confuse the issue more the later model 22lr MKll receivers have the ejection port cut to the magnum size of 1 5/8ths measure yours. The mount is cut for one or the other port size.
Hope this helps. :)

BSlacker
10-12-2011, 9:21 AM
The reason I called the factory mounts useless is this. The first red dot you show will fit one of the factory weaver mounts. This won't be the most secure setup but it would work. Next is the tube red dot. I like the red dot but it is for a dovetail mount and the Savage is not set up for this.
One problem you are running into is that red dots are not popular for bolt action rifles. Most people use conventional scopes and mounts.
The best is the EGW with any rings or red dots with Weaver or Picatinny mounts. :)

Izzy43
10-12-2011, 9:51 AM
Any objections before I make a purchase on this bad boy red dot site?

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Riflescope-Dovetail-Extension-Included/dp/B001JJCHZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318433746&sr=8-1

No objections, after all its your money. But this one is better:http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-5th-gen-3-9-ita-red-green-dot-sight-w-2-qd-mounts-lens-caps.html

I have one on my Zastava Z5 .22lr bolt gun and work great on can/clay pidgeons out to 75 yds. Just don't expect to shoot tiny groups with any red dot sight. Need a scope or aperture sight for that. Again, your choice and good luck with it.

BSlacker
10-12-2011, 11:21 AM
bslacker so the barska one from amazon will not work?

The rings on this Barska red dot will not work with the weaver rail mounts supplied with the rifle. The red's rings attach to a grove on the rifle receiver and you will have two weaver rail pieces on your receiver no grove. You could get some 1" weaver/picatinny rings and use those but it is more expense and the two piece nature of the factory mounts don't work well with short red dots. You will want to get rid of the two piece weaver mounts that come with Savages. The factory two piece mounts don't always lineup perfect and can bind a scope and don't offer enough options for scope position fore and aft. I am not certain the Barska will span the gap between the useless mounts. :)

BSlacker
10-12-2011, 1:40 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j50/BSlacker/savagemount.jpg

Here is a comparison of the stock factory useless mounts and a decent one piece mount. The distance between the lower set is about 4" and the red dot is about 4.6" so, with the two mounting rings .375" wide you don't have much room to move and because of a rubber ring around the red dots outer at one end, it just is very close but most likely you won't be happy but it is close. A EGW one piece rail will let you put the rings anywhere along the rail unlike these two examples. The upper rail is a Rimfire Technology and it is better than factory but still lacks the continuous rail of the EGW. EGW rail covers more space and will let you put on any mount spaced red dot or scope that fits a weaver/picatinny base. Now you can see that mounting anything but a very cheap scope is not going to happen with the factory mounts. Not enough rail for the one piece weaver mount red dots. You have to mount them on the front or rear factory rifle mount and it is too narrow and won't be secure with just two tiny screws holding the red dot on. The mount is just .750" long and the dots would like to have a couple of inches. :)

Izzy43
10-12-2011, 2:00 PM
drider I sent you 2 PMs.