PDA

View Full Version : Please help me get an AK47 into CA from NV ...

dandingo13
10-11-2011, 6:21 PM
Long story short, my uncle just passed away and has a few firearms, including a .44 Mag, .38 Special and an AK47. I know nothing about the AK but my dad's going up there to collect his things.

I wanted to find out what he would have to do to get the AK into California. Can I buy a bullet button for it before he leaves and have him install it before he comes back? Are there certain AK's that aren't CA legal even with a BB? Any info would be really appreciated, as he's going up on Thursday.

zfields
10-11-2011, 6:23 PM
Check the flowchart for the "Named" ak's

Beyond that, a BB, and as long as its not an NFA item you should be GTG>

Oh, and do not import any assembled 10+ round mags.

stix213
10-11-2011, 6:25 PM
Follow what zfields said ^^^

If configured with a BB, then also do not insert any large capacity mags either, even if you already have them legally here.

dandingo13
10-11-2011, 6:27 PM
Speaking of the mags, is it legal to bring those in as well as long as they're disassembled since my dad will be inheriting the firearms? If so, are they easy to disassemble?

croc4
10-11-2011, 6:28 PM
first off you will want to check to make sure its not a 'listed' AK, if it is your hosed, selling it would be the best thing, then once in cali buy a cali legal one. you "might" be able to demill it, but why destroy a good rifle.

If it is not a 'listed' ak then all you should need is a bullet button installed before it crosses the state line, and if he had larger than 10rnd mags make sure you take them apart before crossing the state line.

I'm far from an expert on this so, do some more research on this site before crossing the state line

<edit> damn you guys are fast on the replies, do you have them 'cntrl-d c' already?.......LOL

Croc4

stix213
10-11-2011, 6:28 PM
Speaking of the mags, is it legal to bring those in as well as long as they're disassembled since my dad will be inheriting the firearms? If so, are they easy to disassemble?

AK mags generally disassemble just by removing the floor plate, without any tools. They can be brought in as parts. You can then modify them permanently to 10 rounds and use them in this gun with BB, save them for traveling out of state, or keep them as parts kits until the Mayan calender ends...

dandingo13
10-11-2011, 6:29 PM
How do I find out if it's a 'listed AK?

stix213
10-11-2011, 6:31 PM
How do I find out if it's a 'listed AK?

Go to the top of the page, open the flow chart:

Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide -> CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchat

Understand and follow the entire thing. The bottom page includes all makes/models that are banned. If its on there specifically then do not bring it into the state.

dandingo13
10-11-2011, 6:34 PM
Go to the top of the page, open the flow chart:

Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide -> CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchat

Understand and follow the entire thing. The bottom page includes all makes/models that are banned. If its on there specifically then do not bring it into the state.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I used it for my AR build but don't remember there being specific AK's on the chart. I'll go take a look.

zfields
10-11-2011, 7:17 PM
Theres a few, luckily seem to be relatively rare ones on the market.

BB it for now untill you learn the laws better, then switch that sucker to featureless. No reason not to drop mags.

wash
10-11-2011, 7:29 PM
You may be able to go ~featureless to get it in CA by removing the pistol grip and flash hider (and possibly the lower hand guard if it has a vertical forward grip).

Just make sure it's not named and it's more than 30" long (measured folded if a folder).