PDA

View Full Version : Transferring an AR pistol

madbretbeyondthunderdome
10-11-2011, 6:46 PM
So today I bought an AR pistol ftf ppt. It went fine as a whole, but the shop told us that the pistol had to be in single shot form to be transferred, rather than just transferring as an off roster pistol. So, we ended up having to epoxy the magazine to accept 0 rounds and they were cool, but my question is, do you always have to switch the pistol back to single shot status to transfer or was that just the shop covering their butts? Also, they said that I couldn't take the upper with me and just leave the complete pistol lower with bullet button installed for the 10 day wait. Thoughts?

taladeganite
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
They said you could'nt or could take the upper home? They let me take the upper home and leave the lower (with BB installed). I think it is necessary to make it singleshot to transfer. everytime.

Darquan
10-12-2011, 6:22 AM
The whole single shot exemption is to satisfy the pistol roster requirement on new handguns. Does not apply to PPT. Legally you can PPT a stripped lower.

The pistol did not need to remain complete, but if you took the upper home and you own an AR rifle you would be in possession of a less than 16'' upper and nothing to legally put it on for 10 days.

While it did not need to be single shot, I think sacrificing a 10 round mag to satisfy the shop was the easy way to do it.

SanPedroShooter
10-12-2011, 6:34 AM
Or find a shop that knows the law... My favorite are not the ones that refuse, but the shops that make up crazy interpretations of there law...

There are a couple of flavors, the first is the FFL's that are close, but a little off. The second, the ones that get two laws confused (this case), the third, ones that create or interpret laws to thier financial advantage (PPT fee inflation etc..) the fourth, and my personal favorite, the ones who come up laws made from whole cloth and breathing in Hoppes #7 fumes all day, the fifth, similar to the second, take two (or three) laws and combine them into one... I go could go on and on.

Here's my question, How is it, that someone, me for instance, that has only been buying guns in California for a couple years, knows a good portion of the state and federal laws that pertain to FFL's and the buying, selling and possesing arms and someone's whos business is selling guns doesnt?

madbretbeyondthunderdome
10-12-2011, 7:22 AM
I was by no means upset. I am happy to roll with the punches as long as it worked out which it did. I was just pretty sure that we could of transferred as a PPT off roster pistol and they did not agree. Could of been a heck of a lot worse just the same. And sacrificing the mag was definitely a no brainer. Thanks for the input.
The whole single shot exemption is to satisfy the pistol roster requirement on new handguns. Does not apply to PPT. Legally you can PPT a stripped lower.

The pistol did not need to remain complete, but if you took the upper home and you own an AR rifle you would be in possession of a less than 16'' upper and nothing to legally put it on for 10 days.

While it did not need to be single shot, I think sacrificing a 10 round mag to satisfy the shop was the easy way to do it.