PDA

View Full Version : US DOJ Rebukes Bloomberg Over NYC Stings

mikehaas
02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
CalGunLaws.com
http://calgunlaws.com/images/cgl60h.gifhttp://calgunlaws.com/images/tm.gif (http://calgunlaws.com)
US DOJ Rebukes Bloomberg Over NYC Stings

Five months after a coalition of self defense civil rights activists called on U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to investigate New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg for obstruction of justice relating to Bloomberg's rogue "sting" operation against gun retailers in five states, the U.S. Department of Justice confirmed that the Mayor's actions were investigated by the ATF, that the rogue operation jeopardized law enforcement operations, that none of the dealers would be prosecuted, and that the City of NY faced potential civil or even criminal prosecution if it did it again.
FULL STORY (http://calgunlaws.com/article-479.html)

Mike

69Mach1
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Oh Yeah!
Thanks Mike.

Five months after a coalition of self defense civil rights activists called on U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to investigate New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg for obstruction of justice relating to Bloomberg's rogue "sting" operation against gun retailers in five states, the U.S. Department of Justice confirmed that the Mayor's actions were investigated by the ATF, that the rogue operation jeopardized law enforcement operations, that none of the dealers would be prosecuted, and that the City of NY faced potential civil or even criminal prosecution if it did it again.

Mayor Bloomberg dispatched private investigators to several states, where they made or tried to make illegal "strawman" gun purchases. Bloomberg then filed civil lawsuits against those gun dealers that made the "straw sales." Bloomberg has refused to turn over alleged evidence obtained during this vigilante operation to ATF or other proper authorities, and instead exploited the affair to advance his own political agenda.

Nowhere in state or federal statutes does the mayor of New York or any other municipality have the authority to launch such a rogue investigation, especially one that extends beyond his jurisdiction. There is no exception in the firearms sales laws for private investigators. They, and Bloomberg, are not above the law.

W. Larry Ford, Assistant ATF Director for Public and Governmental Affairs, had just recently confirmed that the agency was "investigating the matter in order to determine if violations of federal firearms laws occurred."

Then, in a letter dated February 6, 2007, US Department if Justice Executive Office of United States Attorneys Director Michael Battle wrote that the ATF investigation had concluded that "the circumstances surrounding the [sting] purchases do not rise to a level that would warrant criminal prosecution." the letter also warns that "there are potential legal liabilities that may attach" when private investigators "misrepresent that they are actual purchasers of firearm when, in fact, the purchases are being made on behalf of another person or entity (for instance, on behalf of the City [of New York]." Battle also said the Justice Department will not be filing criminal charges against any of the 15 gun dealers targeted by Bloomberg's 2006 lawsuits over alleged "straw man" purchases. Such operations lack "proper law enforcement authority," Battle's letter stated.

Bloomberg has beguiled scores of his mayoral colleagues to join an anti-gun enterprise called Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Firearm industry representatives and the National Rifle Association have been excluded from the group's discussions, resulting in some mayors dropping out of the group.

This is an area of serious criminal investigation in which municipal mayors have absolutely no business interjecting themselves, especially for a political sound bite. These vigilante attacks on gun dealers by Bloomberg and his posse of private investigators went way beyond his legal authority.

Despite the DOJ's warnings, Bloomberg has not committed to stopping the stings. California dealers beware!

Sydwaiz
02-09-2007, 11:17 AM
[Nelson] HA HA

The SoCal Gunner
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
That is good news.

Ladder51
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
and that the City of NY faced potential civil or even criminal prosecution if it did it again.

Why wait for them to do it again:mad:
Prosecute his ***** now while the iron is still hot.....
Non of us commoners would get a second chance

fairfaxjim
02-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Bloomberg and his Mayors Against Illegal Guns cohorts got big headlines and a ton of political mileage out of that stunt. I doubt that this announcement will get 1/10 as much. Since "the circumstances surrounding the [sting] purchases do not rise to a level that would warrant criminal prosecution", they have essentially been told they can do it again and get away with it. That will empower other wacko mayors to do similar dirty tricks.

Rumpled
02-09-2007, 2:39 PM
Yeah, I'm with Ladder51 on this.
If I went around the country conspiring to and actually committing straw purchases and then following up with shakedown lawsuits; this would not be the result. I would get locked up, ot told to "not do it again"

rocketboy
02-09-2007, 2:46 PM
Bloomy got the WWE smackdown!!!!!

Centurion_D
02-09-2007, 2:59 PM
Chalk one up for the good guys! :D :D :D

CalNRA
02-09-2007, 4:03 PM
Go Alberto!!!!

anonymous
02-09-2007, 6:54 PM
As soon as I read that Bloomberg was suing for straw purchases, I new this was bull****. Its impossible for a FFL to identify a straw purchase. Probably Hillary will require all FFLs to be certified mind readers, or face 10 years in jail. Anyone can go in by their self, buy a gun, and give it to somebody else 100 miles away. You don't need to be a billionaire to accomplish that. Hopefully the law requires that a reasonable person could have known of the straw purchase. Only in NYC could a Republican pull this kind of crap. Lets all blame the nearby states for OUR violence problem, that way we can ignore the real problems since Bloomberg is unable to do anything to control crime.

I read the letter, and it really puts Bloomberg back in line. My favorite part is how the US DOJ accused Bloomberg of violating the law with the actual straw purchases!

ldivinag
02-09-2007, 7:14 PM
dont forget, t he ACTUAL people who "bought" the guns were not police or LE.

so they can be prosecuted for that...

69Mach1
02-09-2007, 7:17 PM
So now, I hope the gun dealers who got caught up in all of this will sue his *** off!

hoffmang
02-09-2007, 7:37 PM
Anybody else here peeved that Bloomberg only got a warning? The equivalent SEC violation would lead to at worst a settlement without admitting or denying guilt...

-Gene

artherd
02-09-2007, 7:51 PM
Due Process here is severely lacking.

You or I would be in jail if we attempted this.

FreedomIsNotFree
02-09-2007, 7:53 PM
Well of course....

There are the laws for them....then there are the laws for the rest of us....

SemiAutoSam
02-09-2007, 7:56 PM
Just Us for them = Justice

Well of course....

There are the laws for them....then there are the laws for the rest of us....

m1371
02-09-2007, 8:09 PM
CalGunLaws.com
http://calgunlaws.com/images/cgl60h.gifhttp://calgunlaws.com/images/tm.gif (http://calgunlaws.com)
US DOJ Rebukes Bloomberg Over NYC Stings

FULL STORY (http://calgunlaws.com/article-479.html)

Mike

WTF ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ? ? ? ? ?

If it had been any one of us "COMMONERS" doing something like that, we'd get tossed straight into jail.

Total BS. :mad:

The shop owners who were targeted by Bloomberg should sue the piss out of NYC, Bloomberg and every single person who was involved with this.

hoffmang
02-09-2007, 8:44 PM
The sad part is that even the non political big wigs doing equivalent stuff would at least be investigated up to a settlement..

-Gene

dwtt
02-09-2007, 9:37 PM
So now, I hope the gun dealers who got caught up in all of this will sue his *** off!
Actually, the gun shops involved are trying to stay afloat while fighting off Bloomberg's civil law suit. There's a raffle to raise money for their legal fees.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=47335&page=2
I donated a small bit to help, but that's because I can see that it will be only a matter of time before someone else tries this here in CA if Bloomberg's allowed to succeed with his lawsuits.

otalps
02-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Anybody else here peeved that Bloomberg only got a warning? The equivalent SEC violation would lead to at worst a settlement without admitting or denying guilt...

-Gene

Seriously so. Of all the negative stories you read about the ATF, the thought that they would let something like this go with just a warning is simply appalling. To think its entirely possible to find yourself prosecuted to the full extent of the law for something as stupid as shortening a barrel an 1/8th of an inch too much and here is some guy willfully, with full intent, breaking the law getting nothing more than a warning? Wtf?:mad: