PDA

View Full Version : Will I have problems picking up my handgun?

MBW
10-11-2011, 3:16 PM
So here is a quick breakdown of my current situation. I went into a store and purchased my handgun, everything went fine in the store but now a few days later I got pulled over and apparently my license has been suspended because of some weird dmv paperwork snafu that is being fixed now (and a few hundred dollars later might I add in impound fees) and now here comes my problem. The cop took my drivers license, the one I used to purchase the handgun with my address that is on the paperwork. I will not be getting this back soon and I went to get just a Id but they only give you a print out with no picture and it says not a valid Id and will take a while to get to me anyways. I still have to prove my residency with a lease agreement though which I have and the only other form of a picture Id that I have is my old expired military id. So before bugging the clerks at the store I figured I should ask here, will I have problems picking it up and if so what can I can do not to have any issues? Maybe expedite a passport?

Munk
10-11-2011, 3:24 PM
Do you have another form of legal ID as defined by the CA doj's website?

Super Spy
10-11-2011, 3:27 PM
Passport?

Bug Splat
10-11-2011, 3:33 PM
My local shop does not ask me but they also know me (I buy a lot of guns :D).

Call them and ask. Don't give your name but just say you are picking up a gun soon but can't find your lic. Ask if they require it to release the firearm to you. Worst case, you have 30 days to get your new ID (which you should by then) and just use that.

EDIT: Every FFL I have used takes a photo copy of my lic so they should have a picture of you on file with the DROS.

Adam25
10-11-2011, 3:46 PM
The more important question that everyone else forgot was, what handgun did you buy? Not that it has anything to do with missing your id, this is a handgun forum lol

RedFord150
10-11-2011, 3:51 PM
...Call them and ask. Don't give your name but just say you are picking up a gun soon but can't find your lic. Ask if they require it to release the firearm to you. ....

I would respectfully disagree with this advice. The dealer collected the DL and proof of residence at time of purchase. They might not care what type of ID you use to pick it up. At least until they get a call that one of their customers is having a problem. The call alone may cause them too be more careful with every pick-up.
Go to the store with your passport or other picture ID. Take your DMV print-out. Tell them you lost your license (true statement) and are waiting for a new one. In the meanwhile, this is what you have.
If you do not make a big deal out of it, you will probably get your gun. The bigger deal you make it, the more nervous they will get.

MBW
10-11-2011, 4:38 PM
Cool thanks for the advice, I guess I will go in with old mil id and a birth certificate with the lease agreement to match the paperwork, just tell them them

its a glock 35 by the way, its going to be for uspsa production/limited...zombies/2012.

Adam25
10-11-2011, 4:42 PM
That's a .40 right?

puropuro
10-11-2011, 4:42 PM
I'd go with passport if you have one.

Kosuki
10-11-2011, 5:02 PM
Go to DMV for a ID

Duranimal
10-11-2011, 5:18 PM
If therewas a problem with ur id theres a good chance there will be a problem with ur dros. Dmv delays are the usual reason peoples dros get held up. So no physical id might not be ur biggest problem.

mrdd
10-11-2011, 5:20 PM
This sounds really odd. Doesn't the DOJ check for a firearm purchase ping the DMV for things such as suspended license?

sundayduffer
10-11-2011, 5:40 PM
This sounds really odd. Doesn't the DOJ check for a firearm purchase ping the DMV for things such as suspended license?

Sorry not bust your chops, but when your 10 day is up.. You might get denied. Although you are cleared now, but when you first DROSed, you werent cleared. Lets hope that when they ran your profile, it was after the clearance.

MBW
10-11-2011, 6:03 PM
Sorry not bust your chops, but when your 10 day is up.. You might get denied. Although you are cleared now, but when you first DROSed, you werent cleared. Lets hope that when they ran your profile, it was after the clearance.

Yea the guy at the counter when I was buying it said some guy just got turned down because of un paid parking tickets so it has been in the back of my mind. Do gun stores usually call you if it gets denied?

sundayduffer
10-11-2011, 6:20 PM
Some do, some dont. You can always call.

Oceanbob
10-11-2011, 6:27 PM
Don't call
Have the DMV print out in your back pocket.
Show up to pick up the weapon.
They already did the DROS which fulfilled the ID requirement.
If they ask again, for an ID, ask them to look at the copy they made.
Show them your receipt.
If they persist, pull out your DMV printout and tell them this is your new temporary license, same number as their copy....because you lost your license a few days ago..:D

Never mention anything about the COPS.

Usually a passport will not work. Mainly because it does not have your address on it. However, you should be OK if you show up and pick up what you already paid for.

Let us know...

The GLOCK 35 is an awesome handgun..have fun.

Bob

osxgp
10-11-2011, 6:30 PM
The gun store would most likely call because it would be a loss of a sale if you didn't qualify. That sucks about the ID though.

Dark Mod
10-11-2011, 6:32 PM
ouch! see how fast you can get a CA ID card from the DMV, if its before the 30 day mark your golden

infernl
10-11-2011, 7:41 PM
Most just want your receipt from DROS fees paid, since they've already collected your ID before DROS.

silverctr
10-12-2011, 1:25 PM
If therewas a problem with ur id theres a good chance there will be a problem with ur dros. Dmv delays are the usual reason peoples dros get held up. So no physical id might not be ur biggest problem.

I concur with this. In my experience, most delayed and/or denied DROS had issues with the customer's DMV info.

Side note: I find it odd that these FFL's are still making a copy of the customer's DL when it is no longer required to do so.

SDM44
10-12-2011, 3:08 PM
Getting your CADL or even a CAID card from the CA DMV will take longer than 30 days.... almost 45-60 days to be exact (usually around the 50th day is when you'll see it in the mail).

We do this all the time at our work for some clients and what not, and the turn around time is slow. The DMV will not issue any type of picture ID on the day you visit them for one. All picture ID's will take a good 6 weeks to get in the mail.

Do what Oceanbob said above and you'll be fine. I never get asked for my ID when picking up a gun, but mostly because they know me at one LGS I shop at, or because they just verify the picture on the photocopied ID they have on file, and then just match your receipt with their's.

gun505
10-12-2011, 3:10 PM
My local shop does not ask me but they also know me (I buy a lot of guns :D).

Call them and ask. Don't give your name but just say you are picking up a gun soon but can't find your lic. Ask if they require it to release the firearm to you. Worst case, you have 30 days to get your new ID (which you should by then) and just use that.

EDIT: Every FFL I have used takes a photo copy of my lic so they should have a picture of you on file with the DROS.

this

RustyMacHine
10-12-2011, 4:59 PM
Cool thanks for the advice, I guess I will go in with old mil id and a birth certificate with the lease agreement to match the paperwork, just tell them them

its a glock 35 by the way, its going to be for uspsa production/limited...zombies/2012.

If you took care of your issues already then you should receive the same DL in the mail.

This happened to me in 2009. I got pulled over four houses away from mine and the cop told me my license was suspended (since May 2008). Since I didn't receive any notice from DMV and since I decided to just park in front of my house he didn't tow my car... Called the DMV found out it was their mistake, no fees to DMV were paid to fix it. However, it took DMV three weeks to mail me my license back.

Won't DOJ deny the DROS if the person has DMV/License issues anyway???:shrug: Anybody!?

@ OP- Take care of this ASAP.

tileguy
10-12-2011, 6:31 PM
if the store you purchased it from is close, stop by a few times and just BS and buy something small so they remember and get to know you, that way when you do go pick it up they know who you are. good luck

theduece
10-13-2011, 7:50 AM
I would respectfully disagree with this advice. The dealer collected the DL and proof of residence at time of purchase. They might not care what type of ID you use to pick it up. At least until they get a call that one of their customers is having a problem. The call alone may cause them too be more careful with every pick-up.
Go to the store with your passport or other picture ID. Take your DMV print-out. Tell them you lost your license (true statement) and are waiting for a new one. In the meanwhile, this is what you have.
If you do not make a big deal out of it, you will probably get your gun. The bigger deal you make it, the more nervous they will get.

good advice

Don't call
Have the DMV print out in your back pocket.
Show up to pick up the weapon.
They already did the DROS which fulfilled the ID requirement.
If they ask again, for an ID, ask them to look at the copy they made.
Show them your receipt.
If they persist, pull out your DMV printout and tell them this is your new temporary license, same number as their copy....because you lost your license a few days ago..:D

Never mention anything about the COPS.

Usually a passport will not work. Mainly because it does not have your address on it. However, you should be OK if you show up and pick up what you already paid for.

Let us know...

The GLOCK 35 is an awesome handgun..have fun.

Bob

great advice

if the store you purchased it from is close, stop by a few times and just BS and buy something small so they remember and get to know you, that way when you do go pick it up they know who you are. good luck

WINNER!!!! seriously do all of the above and you should be golden.

On a side note wth? DMV issues stop a dros? What does my driving record have to do with my ability to own a firearm? I understand the ID part but that is it. Parking tickets????? Seriously??? Where in the penal code is the section that sais if I am an idiot and don't pay my parking tickets or speeding fines I am inelligible? I mean surely in this nanny state we must have a law.....

O wait the doj check is federal. So now the feds care about my parking ability?

I have no, zip, none, nada, zilch, zero experience with this. I am not in law enforcement nor am I a lawyer. It just doesn't seem rational to me.

ns3v3n
10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
It just doesn't seem rational to me.

When is anything in california that is gun related rational???

Falstaff
10-13-2011, 1:05 PM
Passport will not suffice for CA ID purposes (i've tried it before while waiting 6 months for DMV to send my reneal license); but since you already gave them ID that won't be the problem. All you can do is hope that the dros wasnt denied by CADOJ. If the suspension was active when they ran it, it's likely you will be denied... :(