PDA

View Full Version : Hodge Rd

LHC30
10-11-2011, 1:44 PM
I don't know how many of y'all shoot at Hodge Rd off the I-15, but I'm sick of the crap folks shoot up and leave behind. I sent this email to the Barstow BLM looking for help with trash containers:

Barstow Contact Form

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLM California Offices
Thank you for your feedback.
Your contact is important to us. We will respond to your comments/questions as soon as possible.

*Your contact was :
Name: LHC30
Organization:
email: *****
Subject: barstow feedback
Type of Contact: General Question
Comment: I regularly shoot off Hodge Rd West of the I-15 and have gotten sick of the trash people leave behind. I try to take a 33 gal trash can of this trash away everytime I go to shoot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I can organize some volunteers for a day or more of clean up activities, can the BLM provide trash containers (dumpsters) on site for these range clean up days?

Please respond in this thread if you will help if BLM comes through. Let me know what day of the week is best also.

In the meantime, I challenge you to leave the place better than when you arrived!

Ornery Ol Bastard
10-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I usually drive further out and away from Barstow but, If there's a Weekend Shoot & Clean with enough people, I and mine would be in, although we are usually just daytrippers.
I have only smaller vehicles but am willing to help fill dumpsters.
Hopefully people have restocked their ammo from the last group shoot and can afford to go out whenever it can be put together...

LHC30
10-12-2011, 1:15 PM
Thanks MD5150, will keep you and all posted when I hear from BLM.

railroader
10-12-2011, 6:29 PM
I haven't been to hodge road in a long time but it use to be messy in the past. You might find that the BLM might tell you aren't even suppose to be shooting there. That is what they have told in the past after the cell phone tower went up. I was told I needed to shoot out past Barstow. Mark

Ackrite
10-12-2011, 7:49 PM
I haven't been to hodge road in a long time but it use to be messy in the past. You might find that the BLM might tell you aren't even suppose to be shooting there. That is what they have told in the past after the cell phone tower went up. I was told I needed to shoot out past Barstow. Mark

That's exactly what I was told by BLM when I called them about it. Either way, I was there on sunday for the first time and I was disgusted. The thought of borrowing my dad's backhoe or bobcat to pile everything together even crossed my mind. I am an avid glamis enthusiast and I absolutely hate it when I see so much as an aluminum can dropped by somebody out there. The same goes for any public land where I go shooting. That type of filthy behavior gives more fuel to those that want to shut down public lands for shooting or off-roading, and rightfully so.

LHC, a clean-up sounds like an excellent idea. Please keep us posted with any feedback from BLM.

WDE91
10-13-2011, 7:07 AM
Please keep this updated

maddoggie13
10-13-2011, 7:09 AM
This is why I joined a private gun club.....

theduece
10-13-2011, 8:06 AM
I am in no thursday or friday though. I have a truck and if it can be of use we can use it.

check out cleandesert.org I think they are an off road org that pu on dez clean ups in the past. might be of some use/knowledge.

Larger garbage companies use to sponser them iirc. BLM had no dumpsters or limited amount.

The last official map of the area that I have seen hodge is still legal to shoot at.

LHC30
10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks Duece, will check them out. ALso thinking about suggesting this as an Eagle Scout project, and a SBSO Custody Detail (chaingang)! But will see what BLM has to say...

cruddymutt
10-13-2011, 7:39 PM
I live in Barstow but I dont shoot at Hodge. I have a dumpster in front of my house that we can use. keep me posted, If i am off I will join. I was there 2 weeks ago and it is in bad shape.

jeep7081
10-13-2011, 8:40 PM
I have a cold, so my head is cloudy. I called BLM about this ALMOST a year ago. Here is how it went. I called BLM, said I heard your Officers are saying its not legal to shoot at Hodge. Lady replied, you're correct. I went on to say, I was looking at the map from Fish and Game and it shows its legal. She replied they only go off what Fish and Game says. I told her, your Officers were misinformed then. She said, maybe. I called Fish and Game. They said it was legal to shoot there, but not by the tower as it was private property. I said, then if I shoot 300ft away from tower, I am legal then? He replied, yes. I asked if they could contact the BLM and inform them? He replied "sure". Did he? Who knows. That was my personal experience with Hodge Rd.

Ornery Ol Bastard
10-14-2011, 8:28 AM
I joined the wait club...I emailed BLM and Barstow Sheriff's Station over three months ago to get in writing where they recommend and/ or don't recommend shooting locations...as they say... Still Waaaaiting.... I thought I would add the waaa for effect..like it?...Your tax dollars at work..lol

LHC30
10-14-2011, 8:32 AM
FWIW, I'm still waiting for contact...Might have to make a personal type visit...

jeep7081
10-14-2011, 8:49 AM
I joined the wait club...I emailed BLM and Barstow Sheriff's Station over three months ago to get in writing where they recommend and/ or don't recommend shooting locations...as they say... Still Waaaaiting.... I thought I would add the waaa for effect..like it?...Your tax dollars at work..lol

FWIW, I'm still waiting for contact...Might have to make a personal type visit...

Call fish & game. BLM goes off what their map says.

DavidR310
10-15-2011, 1:39 AM
Yep, Fish & Game

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/

fyi, Calgunner 5Shot (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=18068) is SBCO Commissioner for Fish & Game

glock21fan
10-15-2011, 1:41 AM
Hodge road is a no go chp will mess up your day

glock21fan
10-15-2011, 1:46 AM
Weather or not its on the map chp has been known to go nuts over people up there. Better off going north another half hour north of old 58

jeep7081
10-15-2011, 2:35 AM
Yep, Fish & Game

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/

fyi, Calgunner 5Shot (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=18068) is SBCO Commissioner for Fish & Game

Maybe he will post up and clarify. The last I was told, the "person" who draws the map was going to be notified about this, and a solution was going to be drawn. Again, this was almost a year ago I made the calls.

theduece
10-15-2011, 8:34 AM
CHP? Really? Why do they care? Unless your too close to the highway or shooting over it.

I must either go further down the road then most or be real lucky.

WDE91
10-15-2011, 3:13 PM
I have run into just about every one other than CHP at Hodge Road
Code inspectors,BLM,Sheriffs,Fish and game but never CHP

Crazy4Guns
10-16-2011, 6:56 PM
I have run into just about every one other than CHP at Hodge Road
Code inspectors,BLM,Sheriffs,Fish and game but never CHP

I have been going there for over a year now nearly every week and have never had any problems with any law enforcement. Always plenty of shooters and when a Sheriff or ranger etc does come by, they have always been nice and tell us to have a good time.

The Killer Sandwich
10-16-2011, 8:48 PM
I've never shot at Hodge but people that leave trash behind anywhere bugs me... I'm down to help clean the place up.

5shot
10-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Our shooting map is the law concerning shooting in unincorporated areas of San Bernardino Co., including BLM and Natl Forest lands. Our shooting map shows what is legal in the different areas of the county, but it does not show private property boundaries.
It is my understanding that the area around the radio towers is private property. Sometimes trespassing is enforced, sometimes it is not. And like most remote areas, no trespassing signs don't last long out there. So it's hard to know where the private property lines are. It appears that most of the times there's a crackdown on trespassers, it's after there's been some vandalism to the towers, or other property near them.
We (S.B. Co. F&G Comm) do not have a map that shows private property boundaries in the county, but I'm sure they're available from other sources. The best advice is to get as far away as possible from the towers, and watch for "no trespassing" signs. If you are on private property, and it's not legally posted, you can not be cited, only asked to leave.

jbush
10-17-2011, 8:13 AM
My son races off road and they do cleanups when the areas get bad. Most of the clean ups are sponsored through one of the clubs or organizations and he says they get dumpsters donated by trash companies. They have also had towing companies donate trucks and time to remove abandon cars. It's got to be a sponsored cleanup through a non profit club or organization, on a specific date, time and area so the companies can write it off. And, they want to know people are going to show up to do the clean up. I've never shot at Hodges but would be up to help on a cleanup if it gets the crap out of the desert. Any clubs out there who might sponsor a clean up???

LHC30
10-17-2011, 9:31 AM
... Any clubs out there who might sponsor a clean up???

Do you mean like, oh, say, Calguns? :rolleyes:

DavidR310
10-17-2011, 4:48 PM
Count me in!

jeep7081
10-18-2011, 7:03 AM
Our shooting map is the law concerning shooting in unincorporated areas of San Bernardino Co., including BLM and Natl Forest lands. Our shooting map shows what is legal in the different areas of the county, but it does not show private property boundaries.
It is my understanding that the area around the radio towers is private property. Sometimes trespassing is enforced, sometimes it is not. And like most remote areas, no trespassing signs don't last long out there. So it's hard to know where the private property lines are. It appears that most of the times there's a crackdown on trespassers, it's after there's been some vandalism to the towers, or other property near them.
We (S.B. Co. F&G Comm) do not have a map that shows private property boundaries in the county, but I'm sure they're available from other sources. The best advice is to get as far away as possible from the towers, and watch for "no trespassing" signs. If you are on private property, and it's not legally posted, you can not be cited, only asked to leave.

Which is what I was told. Stay away from the tower and your good :D

jbush
10-18-2011, 7:14 AM
Any club from Calguns to Girl Scouts. trash companies are for profit businesses and will often donate services to non profits for a little publicity and a write off. Talking to my son, a club or group sets up a cleanup and then slams multiple forums from other clubs or groups to help get a good turn out. No one going to put a dumpster in the middle of the desert without making sure it's going to get filled quickly so they can get it out of there, without bullet holes. Unfortunately the desert is visited by people who would think that dumpster is a target. These are usually the same people who shoot up everything they brought from home and then leave the crap for others to clean up. My other thought is, will the BLM do like Caltrans and designate a pickup area where everything gets bagged and piled at a specified spot and a dump truck comes and picks it up the next day???

haroldbluetooth
10-18-2011, 8:11 AM
keep us up to date , please.
maybe organize and clean up and shoot. its very far from me.. more like an all day thing.. carpool from la area.
or am i dreaming???
harold

LHC30
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
No dreaming Harold, I think this should be an all day event. Cleanup in the am, shoot and then police our areas...All with a big CALGUNS CLEANUP banner visible from the freeway...

Wont happen till Nov sometime - I'm too busy till then...

scld1354
10-18-2011, 1:05 PM
Been out there a few times. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what day is decided. Hopefully its on a Sunday so I can make it out there.

LHC30
10-18-2011, 2:23 PM
Poll added for planning purposes...

IETonyR
10-18-2011, 8:30 PM
We have shot out there a few times. Go down the road a mile or so past where the pavement ends to the small hill and shoot into the hill. Stay away from the cell tower and it seems ok. The few times we have gone, it seems like the crazies shoot at the small mound right past where the pavement ends. Depending on what Saturday, we may be able to make it.
Depending on how much trash is collected, and if it is not refrigerators, washer and dryers, we all may be able to take a bit of it home and dump in our own trashcans.

CAL4WD sponsors the clean-up know as High Desert Roundup (http://www.cal4wheel.com/events/hi-desert-round-up)

For those that are into offroading, the Toys for Tots Poker Run (http://www.barstowpokerrun.com/index%20menu.html) is November 4th and 5th. It starts off the 247 in Bartow.. Is there a Calguns contingent that is into off roading?

Tony

scld1354
10-19-2011, 6:24 AM
Has anyone been out there lately? What kind of trash is laying around?

theduece
10-19-2011, 9:39 AM
I voted for sunday but in all reality either sat. or sunday is gtg for me.

IETONY def into off-road are you planning on going to the toys for tots run?

Seems like every time I'm out theres always others who are either into or curious about shooting. hmmm... maybe a booth setup? It definately shares the demographics.

Dark Mod
10-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Im in for Saturday, i think its fair to ask Fish and Game to provide the dumpsters, if we provide the labor. I assume we will be shooting there as well?

Snowcasso
10-19-2011, 2:01 PM
i was just out there yesterday, im actually curious where everybody says they see all this trash, i for one didnt notice much in the way of trash. where do people normally shoot at on hodge road.

we go past the tower quite a ways i think we are about a total of like 7-8 miles from the freeway, occasionally we will see someone who is shooting pretty close to the highway by that i mean before the tower.

as far as trash goes where we normally go i just saw some shotgun shells and some steel case on the ground, which i plan to pick some of that up the next time we go out there. never did stop anywhere around the tower out there so i dont know what kinda shape its in, i know motor homes camp out in that area so we didnt want to shoot anywhere near where they setup shop.

by the way whats on the other side of hodge road? saw a couple trucks coming out of the other side. or maybe im on the wrong side lol.

Nobody077
10-20-2011, 5:01 PM
I can say from personal experience that the sheriffs office will ask you to leave if they find you in the area. We had a few people from work out there little over a year ago for some shooting and quad/rhino fun and were stopped by a sheriff's truck blocking the road. He told us that due to vandalism on the cell towers and even the power lines that Edison had issued a "file trespassing order" on anyone on or near the access roads. So as the sheriff put it, yes its BLM but to access it you must cross the access road and its private property so no more access. About 5 years ago this was not an issue.
I have also seen both the sheriff and the CHP waiting on the dirt road about 25 yards back on big weekends to stop or ticket

A clean-up is a great idea, we alwase pulled out a few extra bags of trash when we left but haven't been back since our talk with the sheriff (due to the fact of the threatened $950 fine per vehicle for trespassing)

IETonyR
10-20-2011, 9:57 PM
I voted for sunday but in all reality either sat. or sunday is gtg for me.

IETONY def into off-road are you planning on going to the toys for tots run?

Seems like every time I'm out theres always others who are either into or curious about shooting. hmmm... maybe a booth setup? It definately shares the demographics.

Not sure if I will make the run. A majority of off roaders are also gunners. Just need to get them informed or involved...

huntercf
10-21-2011, 1:30 PM

I have been out there 2 times in the past couple weeks, there is A LOT of trash, but mostly small stuff, there are a few tires and the last time I was there someone had dumped a mattress. Both times I was at Hodge there were numerous people shooting (even into the hills by the cell tower, but 300' away and not at the tower). Everyone I met out there was nice and pleasant.
Definitely post when the cleanup is, if I am not working I definitely would like to join in. It would be nice if a local trash company would bring out some dumpsters and maybe they can put a big sign by the road for exposure (as well as Calguns!).
I also looked at some DFG maps and it looks like nightime shooting is also allowed, but I don't know if I would chance that.

huntercf
10-21-2011, 1:31 PM
I can say from personal experience that the sheriffs office will ask you to leave if they find you in the area. We had a few people from work out there little over a year ago for some shooting and quad/rhino fun and were stopped by a sheriff's truck blocking the road. He told us that due to vandalism on the cell towers and even the power lines that Edison had issued a "file trespassing order" on anyone on or near the access roads. So as the sheriff put it, yes its BLM but to access it you must cross the access road and its private property so no more access. About 5 years ago this was not an issue.
I have also seen both the sheriff and the CHP waiting on the dirt road about 25 yards back on big weekends to stop or ticket

A clean-up is a great idea, we alwase pulled out a few extra bags of trash when we left but haven't been back since our talk with the sheriff (due to the fact of the threatened $950 fine per vehicle for trespassing)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't BLM have to provide access to OUR lands?

parcours
10-23-2011, 6:45 AM
Where is the shooting area located? How far off the freeway?

If someone can tell me coordinates or just show it on a map, I can tell you if the area around it private, etc.

Here's Hodge Rd off of the 15, as you can see there's quite a bit of Private to the West side of the 15 and sporadic on the East side.

This information come off of County Tax roles.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m426/k80parcours/Hodge_Rd.jpg

huntercf
10-23-2011, 7:35 AM
Where is the shooting area located? How far off the freeway?

If someone can tell me coordinates or just show it on a map, I can tell you if the area around it private, etc.

Here's Hodge Rd off of the 15, as you can see there's quite a bit of Private to the West side of the 15 and sporadic on the East side.

This information come off of County Tax roles.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m426/k80parcours/Hodge_Rd.jpg

West side of road, shooting area is once you leave the pavement and not within 300' of the cell tower (which is also close to the freeway on a little hill). BTW that isn't hodge road that is south of hodge (stoddard) and is shotgun only because it is also an OHV area.

IETonyR
10-23-2011, 9:28 PM
In the light blue area south of Hodge Road at the left edge of the map, there is a small hill that makes a good backdrop..

Ironmany2k
10-25-2011, 2:35 PM
I voted for Friday, but I'm available any of these days if I don't already have plans that particular weekend.

haroldbluetooth
11-07-2011, 7:06 AM
best for me.. can do sunday, too

DavidR310
11-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Any updates on this?

jmpgnr24k
11-14-2011, 3:56 PM
If Anyone is still trying to arrange this I got a small pickup and a grill

jaymz
11-14-2011, 4:34 PM
IIRC, law enforcement can't cite you for trespassing if it isn't posted. If they do, it won't stand up in court especially if you have a county generated map that says it's okay.

DavidR310
11-14-2011, 5:57 PM
If Anyone is still trying to arrange this I got a small pickup and a grill

idk, but i'm down to throw in marinated chicken to grill and a box of trash bags.

scld1354
11-15-2011, 7:41 AM
I'm still down for heading out there. Aside from cleaning up, it will be a great chance to meet some of you.

LHC30
11-15-2011, 10:11 AM
I am still interested in putting this on, but have become too busy lately, now the holidays are upon us...I will post when I can arrange the time to speak to BLM folks and then the trash companies...

DavidR310
11-18-2011, 8:02 PM
Maybe we can turn this into a Desert community calguns clean up activity and get a chapter coordinator involved?

SelvaRacing
11-24-2011, 8:26 AM
Happy Thanksgiving all. I am down to help out. I only have a shortbed Dodge Dakota but I want to help. Hey, one small pickup load at a time, right? I have fridays and saturdays off for the next 3 or 4 weeks. I will keep looking in on this thread for the info. I can bring a few cases of water and sodas to contribute to our keeping hydrated during the work and a stead hand for shootin'. Post details and I will be more than happy to help out.

SelvaRacing
11-24-2011, 8:28 AM
Oh, and a thought on all this ruanround we have been gettin'.....

Isnt it a shame, all this lack of communication between BLM and CA Fish and Game. That is their "business" or their job, to answer questions and help us follow the rules and monitor our using/enjoying the land set aside to be enjoyed. Look at it this way, if BLM and CFG were "companies" in private industries, that communication between them would be like a normal business deal and they would do it because they would profit from the deal(again, IF they were private companies doing buiness). But because they are public agencies and theres no real benefit to them lifting a finger to communicate to answer our questions on the land use, they just dont do it. And we pay them for it with our taxes. I wish they cared.

DavidR310
11-24-2011, 8:35 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Selva!

LHC, the OP is pretty busy these days. All I have is a car and my time. How about we do something Sat the 5th or the 12th? If we can get a few more pickup trucks like yours, JMP and others we can get at least 3-4 beds full and that should be something.

yzernie
11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
BLM will treat you like the plague. One thing that needs to be considered is this...I'm not much of a fan of being down range, meaning do we want to be out there cleaning while all those dumbasses are still out there shooting?

big ron
11-26-2011, 8:24 AM
I was out there on thursday, what a mess. I always leave there with more then I came with. makes me sick to see all the trash. if you packed it in how hard is it to pack it out.

SelvaRacing
11-27-2011, 1:30 AM
Im heading out there tomorrow, or well, later this sunday morning. I am going to take a look. I do agree about being down range. I would feel better about having at least enough people so that a few could stay uprange with a radio to communicate with those of us downrange. Maybe someone can stay uprange and warn, advise, yell at, whatever, so we dont get shot cleaning up.

jeep7081
11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I was out there on thursday, what a mess. I always leave there with more then I came with. makes me sick to see all the trash. if you packed it in how hard is it to pack it out.

Like that?
http://www.truthorfiction.com/images/AZtrash3.jpg

IETonyR
11-30-2011, 6:53 PM
Like that?
http://www.truthorfiction.com/images/AZtrash3.jpg

Isn't this the trail in AZ that the illegals use?? Fortunatelly Hodge isn't that bad, yet. Weather permitting, I may make a trip out this Saturday.

jeep7081
11-30-2011, 7:00 PM
Isn't this the trail in AZ that the illegals use?? Fortunatelly Hodge isn't that bad, yet. Weather permitting, I may make a trip out this Saturday.

That was the visual I had. :D

My back isn't the greatest. I can man a walkie if need be. If that spot is available. Let me know? Car is in the body shop (hit and run at store). If its out by this weekend, I can head over there and help out.

jmpgnr24k
11-30-2011, 8:09 PM
Well, if anything a few of us can show up to meet new people, clean, shoot, eat and be merry. I have a cool spot that is all hills except for your back that is open desert. It should be pretty safe. Its not super dirty but there is **** to clean. and not thats its a secret spot or anything but the less that know the better right?

DavidR310
12-01-2011, 6:31 AM
I'm down for the 10th if anyone wants to set something :)

DavidR310
01-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Hey all,

I will be at the Barstow secret spot on 3/10 to do an overnighter (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=520783). I heard that it is getting kinda dirty up there too and want to spend some time cleaning up the zombie spot. You all more than welcome to join me to shoot/clean up.

David

MrMADMATTJONES
01-12-2012, 5:18 PM
I just went out to the BLM field office and bought a map of the area. The area around Hodge Rd (west of the 15 fwy) is mostly private property. Pretty much any spot people like to shoot out there is private property. All along the pipeline running north and south and especially the hill with the comm tower. There is one little 1/4 mile square area to the south that is public but it falls under the county "shot gun only" rules.

EZ909
02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
I have been out there 2 times in the past couple weeks, there is A LOT of trash, but mostly small stuff, there are a few tires and the last time I was there someone had dumped a mattress. Both times I was at Hodge there were numerous people shooting (even into the hills by the cell tower, but 300' away and not at the tower). Everyone I met out there was nice and pleasant.
Definitely post when the cleanup is, if I am not working I definitely would like to join in. It would be nice if a local trash company would bring out some dumpsters and maybe they can put a big sign by the road for exposure (as well as Calguns!).
I also looked at some DFG maps and it looks like nightime shooting is also allowed, but I don't know if I would chance that.

i have called the sheriff department and the blm both have told me that it night shooting is ok but you are more likely to get messed with at night... i only go there at night its to hot durring the day and sometimes its really crowded so i always go at night

Chief2Guns
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
I bought an app for my Android HTC EVO BackCountry Navigator Pro. It provides USA Topo Maps, USGS Color Aerials, MapQuest Open Aerials, USGS Color Aerials, and California BLM Boundary maps. I bought the paper map from BLM, however, I feel even more confident having a second opinion on whose land I'm in. I've been trying it out and it works great for me. The app works on satellite, so you will never loose signal. It shows you exactly were you stand, just like a GPS navigation system on your car.

Javi
03-14-2012, 5:22 PM
^I may have to find that, I have android.
So most of Hodge rd. is private property? I saw at least 7, including me, shooting in the area.

This is from today:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/xlive2grindx/2012-03-14133138.jpg

InFamous20
03-30-2012, 10:27 PM
If this is the same place I went to today... It's dirty. I cleaned up after myself. Would be interested in a cgn clean up.

rolling thunder
04-02-2012, 9:48 AM
I just shot there on Saturday. We took back 5 full trash bags of junk and shotgun shells. Problem with this place (and others like it ) is that when people start trashing it Calgunners and those of us that clean up our sites go elsewhere to shoot. All that is left is the losers that like to shoot at tvs, vcrs, and washing machines and left them out there. There needs to be signs (and bilingual) about cleaning up your junk!

Aust249
07-27-2012, 9:31 PM
Has anyone organized a clean up for Hodge? Count me in, if so.

LHC30
07-28-2012, 9:16 AM
I started this thread and have to appologize for flaking on the follow through. Family stuff....But maybe this October if I can find some org help///

Aust249
07-28-2012, 4:02 PM
I'd be in. I go out there and try to take more than I come with.

warbunker
08-30-2012, 7:50 AM
Guys, I go out here all the time to shoot, and I always end up picking up a car load of trash and stuff left behind by others. PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE, help out and pick stuff up. If we don't start cleaning this area up we will lose it. It is a great spot to shoot and easy access as well. I would like to organize a clean up as soon as it gets a little cooler out there. Maybe even a two week session so we can get alot of people out there over a period of time and get this taken care of by numerous people throughout a nice time span. Maybe get a couple of people and their trucks, a few pitch in for gas money and the trip to the dump, which is just down the road, and we make a day of it several times throughout a few days and get this place cleaned up. People are starting to treat this area like they treat this state, someone else will take care of it for me. One of the reasons we are in the mess we are in but I will save that rant for another post. Lets get some great people together and start a list of people that can go and organize a clean up, several if necessary which I believe is, and take charge of this. Last thing I want is to lose this and have to go to nazi controlled lytle creek or some other gun range that picks through every part of your gun bag or tells you what you can shoot and not shoot. Last time I checked we are in America and we are a free society. I enjoy being able to shoot as I guess everyone on here does as well. So lets kick this in the rear and get this started. I work weekends so that time frame is out for me but does not mean others can't go out there. I am available during the week on different days and can meet some people out there as well. Let's get some time/days down so we can get this going and spread the word to fellow local gun guys to help out. Thanks to everyone who does their part.

AUstate
08-30-2012, 8:50 AM
I have never been here, but would like the chance someday. I will defiantly help out whenever a cleanup is organized.

Chevy57fan
08-30-2012, 2:22 PM
Count me in. My schedule is somewhat flexible and I have a shortbed pickup truck. The last time I was there, the place was a mess and I wondered if building some sort of rake that could be towed is possible because doing it by hand is a huge undertaking.

IETonyR
09-01-2012, 8:25 AM
I am available at the end of Septemeber and through the rest of the year on Saturdays. I try to take as much as I can fit in the back of the Bronco each time I go. It is amazing the amount of electronics that are out there. If they don't keep it clean, the BLM will shut it down. .

Javi
09-01-2012, 12:10 PM
At my current job, I almost always work weekends. I'd love to help to get that area cleaned up, though. Definitely want to wait for cooler weather, though :)

socalg8gt
09-01-2012, 9:11 PM
Count me in , let me know with time

Js3o2
09-01-2012, 10:59 PM
damn i wish my parents would let me go. can't wait to turn 18 and get a car

DavidR310
09-01-2012, 11:37 PM
JS302,

Have you done an appleseed yet?

Under 21 is only $5. Loaner .22 rifles available with arrangements.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=615410

Js3o2
09-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Nope i haven't done an appleseed. I actually never heard of it until now that you mentioned it. I will probably go when i get a car. thanks for the info David i really appreciate it! look forward to it

SgtMerc
09-02-2012, 12:32 AM

I was there back in may. Every time i go, i use a refrigerator box (my cousin works at Lowe's) as a target. When we're done, i re-fold the box enough to fill it, and grab as much junk as i can to take to the dumpster once we get back to the city.

Here's a video i made while out there with my cousins. The stuff on the ground and behind the honeydew is pretty typical of the entire area.
-Mag4YwInDQ

I only shoot at paper, cans, or fruit that local critters will end up eating.

I'd definitely help with the cleanup, but i'm only in socal about twice a year to visit family.

huntercf
09-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Saturday in October sounds good. Would calguns be willing to rent a dumpster? I rented a pretty large one to clean out my Dad's house after he died, it ended up costing me about $450 with delivery.

FamilyofShooters
09-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I would be willing to drive up from San Diego if we have the clean up when the weather cools off a bit. Are there some decent camping spots out there as I would probably make a 2 or 3 day weekend out of it. Please keep me posted.

Js3o2
09-02-2012, 1:40 PM
I would be willing to drive up from San Diego if we have the clean up when the weather cools off a bit. Are there some decent camping spots out there as I would probably make a 2 or 3 day weekend out of it. Please keep me posted.

yeah there's decent camping spots

Jyruiz
09-06-2012, 7:15 AM
I am in, but it would have to be a Saturday or Sunday.

chozenfew805
09-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm looking for a chance to contribute as a Calguns member and meet some of you all!

LHC30
09-10-2012, 9:23 AM
How does Saturday, October 20th sound? I will start making some calls to BLM, Waste Management and local groups later this week...

Cannon-Arms
09-10-2012, 5:17 PM
See if I can get some family members and myself out there, we're close by.

Gonna start dropping hints to family that we got's things to do on that Saturday, make no plans.

KRUSTYTHECLOWN
09-13-2012, 7:04 AM
Subscribed for updates

RichWT
09-13-2012, 7:59 AM
I'm looking for a chance to contribute as a Calguns member and meet some of you all!

I'm in the same boat, have a truck and a rake... October 20th works for me.

Nirrad
09-13-2012, 1:20 PM
How does Saturday, October 20th sound? I will start making some calls to BLM, Waste Management and local groups later this week...

So is this the latest update? Can we pencil this in the calendar?

Have truck, brass magnet, and rake, will travel.

LHC30
09-13-2012, 5:08 PM
I have sent emails to BLM and the local trash folks for contacts - still waiting but will make phone calls tomorrow (day off) to see if it is possible with only a month to go....

I hope to get a roll off dumpster delivered to the site. It would be a great help if someone local has a bobcat or loader that can ferry the bigger stuff from the long site to the dumpster....

For those interested, please pencil it in and I will let y'all know as I learn stuff. If nothing else, getting a few trucks up there will make a dent.

Sapper96
09-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Me and my Team Mates are interested in coming up from sd for this.
I have a truck and a small utility trailer that I can bring

to familyofshooters= if you want to carpool let me know

LHC30
09-20-2012, 7:44 AM
OK, finally got ahold of a very nice and helpful BLM employee regarding this cleanup. She was excited to help but we found out together, using what maps we had to share (over the phone) that most, if not all, the shooting area is actually private property. BLM cannot help on private property....

Does someone have the ability to check land ownership in the area? I cannot get to the county offices till at least Friday...

Nirrad
09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Dang, that's a shame.

I was really looking forward to going there for the first time in addition to meeting fellow Calgunners. Hopefully there will be some good news to come.

RichWT
09-21-2012, 5:10 PM
Not sure if you had a chance to go to the county yet... But the below link should at least lead us to a mailing address. I am on my phone right now and as such somewhat limited

http://nppublic.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/newpims/(S(zxj44sjt3qlkd1f1gwximzro))/PIMSINTERFACE.ASPX

kalbos
10-31-2012, 2:58 PM
did this clean up ever happen?

FeelthySanchez
11-22-2012, 4:56 PM
Re:
" ... BLM cannot help on private property.... "

Dammitt!
That situation just busts my hump.
Will bring the same amount of trash bags next time, & 2 steel rakes.
Maybe another one of the neighbor's kids, too.

FeelthySanchez
11-22-2012, 5:26 PM
.... Maps .... Does someone have the ability to check land ownership in the area? I cannot get to the county offices till at least Friday...

Are you using USGS topo maps?

The grids on these are laid-out by ownership/UTM coords.
Different grid colors, etc: Translate to ownership or public authority.

tcgjake
11-22-2012, 9:26 PM
did this clean up ever happen?

I have no idea if it happened or not but someone definitely cleaned it up since my last visit a couple months ago.. I was up there last weekend with family and the difference was amazing.

Dirtrider....
12-05-2012, 3:49 PM
i've been up to that area a few times and always take trash home with us... we use the harbor freight hand magnet stick with the release handle... works really good at picking up shotgun hulls and nails/screws... my kids enjoy that part almost as much as shooting... lol

TurboChrisB
12-05-2012, 5:27 PM
No kidding...I find that when I go out with the kids...the trick is that while I'm setting up the tables and chairs and guns etc...I make them all pick up for about 30 or 45 minutes. They're so amped to be there and to go shooting that it flys by for them. Then when we're done...it's a snap to pick up our stuff and the place is CLEAN.

FeelthySanchez
12-05-2012, 6:02 PM
... when I go out with the kids...the trick is ... I make them all pick up for about 30-45 min. They're so amped to be there and to go shooting that it flys by for them.

Brilliant, Mate!
(A psyops vet, perhaps?)

Regardless, will use it on the neighbor's kids for our next outing.

jayincali
12-31-2012, 1:05 PM
I would be in for a clean up. I'm kinda new to shooting there, I just started going to Hodge about 6 months ago, been there about 4 times since and camped once. Always try to clean up a bit, but there is just a ton of trash. Would almost need to make your own tool/rake to clean the shells up. Maybe a metal bow rake and weld in an extra tine inbetween each.

Anyone know someone that owns their own construction/excavating biz?

jayincali
I would be in for a clean up. I'm kinda new to shooting there, I just started going to Hodge about 6 months ago, been there about 4 times since and camped once. Always try to clean up a bit, but there is just a ton of trash. Would almost need to make your own tool/rake to clean the shells up. Maybe a metal bow rake and weld in an extra tine inbetween each.

jayincali

moyneur
01-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Was out there today, the place is turning into a landfill. It will not be long befor they shut the place down, I guest some people just don't have a clue.

G38xOC
01-06-2013, 12:15 AM
I no longer have my truck .. if anyone is leaving from OC area n have extra space , count me in .

Hodge is indeed for some major work .

ViciousJellyfish
01-06-2013, 4:02 AM
With all the new shooters that bought their AR's during this frenzy, they're gonna be shooting at places like Hodge and it's gonna get severely worse... and dangerous. Still, I don't want to see this place shut down.

As long as I'm available/free... count me in to help. I have a truck. (G38, I'm also in OC. PM me if you want to get together).

G38xOC
01-07-2013, 9:09 PM
^ that sounds good . let me know when is best day for you . if im not working . most likely I can go . its a far drive so might as well make it a good one . btw , where can we throw all those stuff away ?

jayincali
01-08-2013, 4:27 PM
Maybe do a early Sat morn clean up? Thee next 2 Saturdays I am booked, but the following.......

Anyone off on Fridays?

TacoTodd
02-04-2013, 8:07 PM
If this ever happens again, I want to join and know others who will participate too.

texas_law_dog
02-09-2013, 6:53 PM
PM me if you set up another cleanup. I can get a few people to help. I've been to Hodge a few times and it is definitely cleaner now than it was 10 years ago, but it can always get better.

CoopsDad
02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
PM me, too; I have a truck and tools.

kbleroy760
02-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I am a High Desert native. To hear fellow Calgunners concerned about Hodge Rd. is very refreshing. Count me and my family in for future clean ups of this area.

jayincali
02-26-2013, 9:45 PM
I think we need a person to take owner ship. Looks like we have a good size group of people, but need someone to take charge and say lets do this on xyz day and time.

BlockaBlocka714
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
^agreed, I'd love to help out and have a pickup, lets make this happen!

STI
03-03-2013, 11:17 PM
If this ever happens PM me, I have a Dodge Ram and I would like to help.

jayincali
03-09-2013, 8:08 PM
How about we throw a date out there and work from there. How about Saturday April 20th?

Oliver_Charles
03-09-2013, 8:52 PM

CR1988
03-09-2013, 11:44 PM
lol, that's no tale, but he's more like a vulture. He moves in right as you put your vehicle into drive to leave. He has a white pickup. He seems like a nice guy. I have never talked to him, but he's polite and waves to greet people.

Dc2 r guy
03-11-2013, 11:41 PM
I have never been hodge Rd I will defiantly help out whenever a cleanup is organized.

jayincali
03-12-2013, 2:33 PM
With in the past 8 months or so I have made about 5 trips out there, in those 5 trips there have been 2 SBSO cruisers cruise down that road. We usually go about 5-10 minutes in where the trailers are all parked in the middle of know where. They never stopped, just slowly cruised by.

junbug7
07-11-2013, 5:21 PM
I've only been to Hodge Rd once, back in Dec 2012, but it definitely needs cleaning. I don't have a truck but I can lend a hand and drag my son & a couple of his friends, maybe a few of my other gun enthusiast friends will want to go too.

Keep me updated on a future clean up. Like most others, preferably on a Saturday or Sunday & when its not too hot. Maybe that gives everybody enough time to plan something for mid-fall before the holiday hustle & bustle starts.

SMarquez
07-12-2013, 4:43 PM
It's been a while on this post. No movement yet? I'm in when it happens.

Twisted Sid
09-01-2013, 6:18 PM
I dont know if anyone is interested but, the BLM is putting on a cleanup off of outlet center drive in the OHV area on sept 28th. might be easier and better to talk to someone at the BLM there in person about doing one off of hodge. when i was there last weekend, it was pretty disgusting.

where i got the info from Barstow clean up (http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/general-off-road-talk/208551.htm)

Familyfire
10-16-2013, 8:33 AM
I'm new to the site but I go to hodge quite often! I was there two days ago and the sheriff came by. He got out of his car near the tower and fired about 20 rounds. Then he cruised by and chatted with us for a little bit, told us to have a great day and that was that.

Back to clean up, I think it's a GREAT idea! I agree with some of the above posts that a dumpster would be hard to come by, but with a few pickup trucks we could get most of the bulky trash out!

Charles007
10-16-2013, 11:52 AM
So, let's organize a cleanup. Pickup trucks, trash bags, gloves etc..

Date & Time: TBD

Who's in:

- Charles007: Will bring trash bags, gloves
- Familyfire

jayincali
10-16-2013, 1:08 PM
So, let's organize a cleanup. Pickup trucks, trash bags, gloves etc..

Date & Time: TBD

Who's in:

- Familyfire

Who's in:

- Familyfire
- Jayincali -Trash bags, gloves, rakes, shovels, couple friends

Charles007
10-16-2013, 2:33 PM
Hodge Road Clean-up

Where: Hodge Road - the exact place is a TBD
When: Probably a Sunday, the exact date is a TBD, but probably mid November
Time: Start at 8.00 am

Are you in? Please add your name to this list and say what you can bring (we need pick up trucks, trash bags, gloves, rakes, shovels and people!!):

So far we have: 6 People:

- Familyfire:
- CoopsDad:
- ViciousJellyfish: Pickup, gloves, a shovel plus other stuff

ViciousJellyfish
10-16-2013, 2:56 PM
I was just there with a few friends last week... left with more than we came with. Still needs work out there. It depends on exact date, but count me in for now.

I have pickup truck. I can bring gloves, a shovel and whatever else I can find.

Thanks for setting this up!

STI
10-16-2013, 6:58 PM
Count me in. Harbor freight sells these magnetic pick up tools that make picking up steel casings easy. I recommend buying one to save your back. We will also be shooting after right?

G38xOC
10-16-2013, 7:48 PM
I'm in !

can bring rakes/shovel/trash bags

Charles007
10-16-2013, 8:00 PM
Hodge Road Clean-up

When: November 17, 2013 (Tentative)

Are you in? Please add your name to this list and say what you can bring (we need pick up trucks, trash bags, gloves, rakes, shovels and people!!):

So far we have: Approximately 8 People:

- Familyfire:
- CoopsDad:
- ViciousJellyfish: Truck, gloves, a shovel plus other stuff
- STI: Truck, trash bags and hopefully some help
- G38xOC: Rakes, shovel, trash bags

After the clean-up event: We will be shooting after the clean-up, but only once the clean-up is done and everyone is accounted for

junbug7
10-17-2013, 5:58 AM
I'm a "most likely" in.... I'll know for sure by the beginning of November. :-)

Charles007
10-18-2013, 6:57 AM
Clean-up Update

Exchanged emails with the BLM office. They have informed us that the area we are trying to clean up is all private land and we need to obtain permission for the private land owner. I am trying to find out the land owner to get the permission we need but if we can't then the clean up may not happen. Pease watch this posting for more details soon.....

jayincali
10-22-2013, 3:28 PM
Private land? So it's ok to shoot on private land? I have seen SBSO a few times and never said a single word of it being private land. I would think we wouldn't be able to shoot there if that was the case.

seainc
10-22-2013, 3:39 PM
Are we talking about the land west of I-15? Off Hodge exit.

Dc2 r guy
10-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Hodge Road Clean-up

When: November 17, 2013 (Tentative)

So far we have: Approximately 8 People:

- Familyfire:
- CoopsDad:
- ViciousJellyfish: Truck, gloves, a shovel plus other stuff
- STI: Truck, trash bags and hopefully some help
- G38xOC: Rakes, shovel, trash bags
- Dc2 r guy: Truck,gloves, a shovel maybe a friend

[QUOTE=STI;12556862]Count me in. Harbor freight sells these magnetic pick up tools that make picking up steel casings easy. I recommend buying one to save your back. We will also be shooting after right?

That's a good idea thanks ill probably head there tomorrow to buy that.

SMarquez
10-23-2013, 7:20 PM
I'm in. Truck, bags, tools maybe one of my sons.
Has there been any contact with BLM? Can something be worked out with a dump to get rid of the trash for free, like a community service type project? Maybe some LGS will let us use their dumpsters if we spread it out.

G38xOC
10-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Are we talking about the land west of I-15? Off Hodge exit.

i think so

Charles007
10-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Hodge Road Cleanup: Update 10/26/13

Guys, a quick update: I can't find the private land owner for the area we are trying to clean up (it's not BLM land). So, I will keep trying but if we can't get permission, we will have to make a decision on if we should or should not do this.

bbodybill
11-04-2013, 5:57 AM

Guys, a quick update: I can't find the private land owner for the area we are trying to clean up (it's not BLM land). So, I will keep trying but if we can't get permission, we will have to make a decision on if we should or should not do this.

How about inquiring at the trailer repair area, as to OWNERS ?? Myself and a friend would be willing to join in.. Bill

notme92069
11-04-2013, 6:43 AM

Property records are public. If you know someone in real estate or escrow they will be able to find the recorded owners

Charles007
11-05-2013, 1:28 PM
Guys,

I have spent a bunch of time trying to find the owner but have not had any success. So, for now, this clean up is off.

I want to make sure everyone has plenty of notice. While we will not do this for the 17th, I am quite determined to solve it and so will keep pushing and we will try to set up something again at another time.

We had a great group of people signing up and I want to thank everyone for that. Please keep watching this thread for another date in the future.

Chris (Charles007)

Darryl Licht
12-02-2013, 11:51 AM
...All that is left is the losers that like to shoot at tvs, vcrs, and washing machines and left them out there. There needs to be signs (and bilingual) about cleaning up your junk!

They'll just shoot the signs!

Property records are public. If you know someone in real estate or escrow they will be able to find the recorded owners

You need an address or parcel number to look that information up!

bigchinner
01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
well, it looks like this thread is dead?

Oliver_Charles
01-06-2014, 11:59 PM

sammyguy193
01-18-2014, 3:04 PM
I was just there on Friday. Looks like crap. I'd be willing to drive out and help with a cleanup if there's still interest. Fiancee and I hauled away a trash bag's worth of shells... anyone? Shoot n' clean party?

jdben92883
01-19-2014, 4:54 AM
I was there a few weeks ago. Hadn't been there for several years. Holy crap!! There would need to be about 20 cleanups just to make a dent in the hill we were shooting into. It was like shooting on a landfill.

sammyguy193
01-19-2014, 7:38 AM
Yeah. Maybe someone has a dozer and we could just bury it all... Out of sight out of mind right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junior40er
01-19-2014, 8:01 AM
Lol that's what some guy said when I met him after shooting my AR and AK.

sammyguy193
02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Was back up there this last week. Took a rake and some trash bags and cleaned up 5 bags of spent casings and miscellaneous crap. Anyone in the high desert have a Cat the can drag out there and bury the multitude of water heaters, propane tanks, glass, wood, and broken electronics? Grenade launcher or howitzer would do as well.

AR-Realtor
02-09-2014, 9:02 PM
Went there for the very first time this weekend....very sad. Picked up what I could but this place is so big and completely full of trash. I will take an army of people to clean this place up but with that said, I ready when we get a group together!

AR-Realtor
02-09-2014, 9:23 PM
I have found all of the records of each parcel and the owners. If someone needs it, please message me and I can send it.

Teeko
02-10-2014, 4:36 AM
This place looks like a zoo on the weekends

sammyguy193
02-18-2014, 8:40 AM
Any interest for a group cleanup & shoot out there? Can bring the BBQ for some meet n greet family fun...

Frozenguy
02-18-2014, 11:56 AM
I just went there on Sunday evening and it was so messy.
I would be up for a clean up/shoot.

Is it legal to bring a small (mini) weber gas grill? Or at least an electric hibachi?

Oh and I collected my brass and picked up more shotgun shells than I shot but I didn't come prepared for any real clean up beyond my mess. Wish I did. 20 minutes would have made a big difference in the area I was around.

sammyguy193
02-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Yup. Grills and bonfires are legal. Blm land.

I have a truck and can donate burgers and trash bags.

DavidR310
02-18-2014, 1:37 PM
Don't you need a permit for blm? Plus I just read post #145 and this place is not blm.

sammyguy193
02-18-2014, 4:27 PM
Yeah, the blm is spotty up there, but the actual trash pile is on private land. My hunting gps maps show blm just next to it. But honestly, what kind of sheriff is going to cite a bunch of good doers cleaning up trash? Talk about a PR scandal...

Frozenguy
02-18-2014, 5:41 PM
There is privately owned parts, and they are marked. So be aware and respect no trespassing signs.
Other parts are BLM

Mithrandir13
03-03-2014, 4:11 PM
Did we pick a date?
Do we have volunteers to drag the debris out and take to a landfill?

I agree.... horrible PR to bust the balls of guys attempting to be respectful of the environment...

musick
03-03-2014, 5:41 PM
well, it looks like this thread is dead?

This is really sad. OP was in 2011 and still no clean!?!?! Admittedly, I scanned through the posts rather quickly so forgive me if that is not the case.

Someone local should just post a date and get something done. Whoever shows up, shows up. The pics make it look like it is in need of serious clean but dont let that discourage anyone. Even if its just a handful of you can start to make an impact. If you keep at it long enough, you can make a big difference. Dont bother trying to arrange an event with BLM - just DO IT if you dont want to lose it.

Heres one of the local areas I frequent and I consider this pic to show it "trashed" (relative, I know...but weve been at it frequently for a year):

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv169/mytravelpage/IMG_2847_zpsff7eb412.jpg (http://s680.photobucket.com/user/mytravelpage/media/IMG_2847_zpsff7eb412.jpg.html)

Might not look too bad from that vantage point but look closer:

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv169/mytravelpage/IMG_2842_zps03d61350.jpg (http://s680.photobucket.com/user/mytravelpage/media/IMG_2842_zps03d61350.jpg.html)

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv169/mytravelpage/IMG_2845_zpsdfbc9d21.jpg (http://s680.photobucket.com/user/mytravelpage/media/IMG_2845_zpsdfbc9d21.jpg.html)

Many of us in SD have put in serious time and effort to get it to this point but every time we go out there is work to do. Sometimes its two of us, other times we have 15+ that show up.

If those pics are truly from BLM you REALLY need to get out there and put in some time. Ive seen spots less trashed get closed so I imagine Hodge Rd. might be off limits very soon.

Mithrandir13
03-03-2014, 9:31 PM
unfortunately, Hodge road is better now than 20 years ago! :(

but only because people are picking up their brass.... before obama, there was brass every where....

:(

Can we get someone to volunteer a trailer? or some means to transport debris to landfill?

it really is a mess....

MEDIC!
03-03-2014, 9:38 PM
I do not have any means of hauling away trash (no truck or trailer at the moment), but I live about 20-25 minutes from Hodge road and would be willing to donate some time on a Saturday or Sunday to help clean up. I'll contribute some cash for dump fees as well. Anyone else that is interested feel free to PM me.

Mithrandir13
03-04-2014, 7:18 AM
Does anyone have County connections to maybe get a dumpster placed out there for a couple days?

M aybe the county will fund the dumpster if we can round up 10 or 20 guys to start cleaning up??

Yuh'know... if we can get a cleanup planned, I can post flyers at the local gun shops/sporting goods stores to promote it and maybe get some additional bodies????

mwr
03-04-2014, 7:53 PM
You can add my name to the list for a clean, shoot and bar-b-que.

I have a pick up and flat bed trailer to haul trash to a disposal site.

PM me

halon101
03-04-2014, 8:10 PM
I did a clean up there a few years back. announced it and everything. 1 calgunner showed. it was me and my friends. hauled out 900lbs to the dump and a grip of tires to Americas tire. they waived the fee for used tires when I told the manager why I had them.

I say, set a date and go. don't count on others. just go and plan o cleaning more than shooting. if you wait around for a dumpster it wont happen.

halon101
03-04-2014, 8:11 PM
but hey. PM me if you ever set a date. ill go.

k248576
03-13-2014, 3:27 AM
I was just out there this past Monday, went out about a mile on south side Plateau. Couldn't believe my eyes. Usually just paper targets and a lot of shot gun shells, but this time, the were 50 gal barrels, leather couches, 6 pallets, and the ground looked like it was xmas with a red and green hue. Made me sick. I take everything out that I bring in and then some, but this time there was just to much. Even at the 1000 foot mark off the FWY, TV's Boxes, trash every where. This area needs a serious cleaning before BLM closes it to any shooting. I'm up for a Sunday cleanup day. I'm available every other Sunday starting 3/23.

Mithrandir13
03-13-2014, 7:01 AM
I was out there a while ago too.... not as far west... it looks like people are using it as a illegal dump site... would be nice to get a 60 foot dumpster.... we would fill it....

anyone with dumpster connections???!!??

smith629
03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
I can come to a cleanup once organized. I've got a truck bed to fill up and my own dumpster I can use at home.

However I'm not familiar with this area so whoever is organizing it please contact me when the date is set.

Mithrandir13
03-24-2014, 9:43 AM
I am trying to score a 60 foot dumpster....

I will keep yuh'all posted....

k248576
03-25-2014, 1:08 PM
A couple of friends and I went out shooting yesterday, what a mess. Took a truck load out. I will post some picks of what we had to leave later today

k248576
03-25-2014, 2:46 PM
Here are the pics, The pile is what we were unable to take out & the other pics (Cell Phone) are of more trash that would make about the same size pile! Let me know when & if you get a container, if not working, I'll be there.
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t551/k248576/Hodge%20Road/Hodge%20Rd%20Trash/Trashpile_zpsedc01f68.jpg
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t551/k248576/Hodge%20Road/Hodge%20Rd%20Trash/Plateau1_zps6d3fdf5f.jpg
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t551/k248576/Hodge%20Road/Hodge%20Rd%20Trash/Plateau2_zps5bdf8e63.jpg

Trigger Jerk
03-25-2014, 4:40 PM
What day?

k248576
03-25-2014, 11:34 PM
That pile was from Monday 3/24, Some of the stuff was from 2 weekeds past but looks like it doubled since then. This keeps happening, BLM will eventually close to shooting. When you first drive in the area most shoot at has just as much junk. If someone was to bring in a 60 footer most of this could be hauled out, but the only problem is would people not shoot on a clean up day or weekend? Would they accept being turned away? thats would be the biggest question.

Mithrandir13
03-26-2014, 3:54 PM
I believe that the majority of the shooting area is private land....

toby
03-26-2014, 4:55 PM
The scumbags love you guys!

mofojoe
03-26-2014, 6:19 PM
When I go I just shoot steel and try to take a couple of bags when I go. If everyone did that.... well....

Capybara
03-29-2014, 8:26 AM
I stopped by Hodge Road for the first time yesterday on my way home from Las Vegas (not to shoot, just to check out the area). There were a lot of people out shooting at the base of the cell phone towers. I thought you weren't supposed to shoot between the cell phone towers? If I want to shoot out there sometime, do you just get off the 15 and go past the cell phone towers, as long as the land isn't posted private property and find a place?

If you go the opposite direction of the cell towers, the sign says, "Stoddard Wells ORV Area". Are you allowed to shoot over there, provided you are safe, shooting into a hillside and watch for riders or are you only allowed to shoot on the other side of the 15 where the cell towers are? (past the cell towers)?

Mithrandir13
03-29-2014, 4:37 PM
shooting west of freeway only!!

Capybara
03-30-2014, 8:45 PM
Thanks for that Mithrander13. So if you pull off of the 15 and drive down past the second cell tower, you are GTG down there as long as it's not posted private property?

Mithrandir13
03-31-2014, 7:48 AM
The last BLM map I saw, indicated that west of the fwy is open shooting... there are other laws such as no shooting within some distance of buildings and roads.. (150 yds I think)... There are no (remaining?) signs indicating a no shooting zone....
So technically, I dunno the official "Legal" status as far as ordinances are concerned....

However... I have been shooting there for years and several times a CHP has parked on the offramp adjacent to the shooting area....

Prolly further west = better....

I think if one is "Cool" about shooting there... problems won't result...

Mithrandir13
03-31-2014, 8:19 AM
a little digging around this popped up...

The southern border of the open shooting area west of the 15 fwy is about even with
Shadow mountain road... which is a little south of Hodge road...

http://www.specialdistricts.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=306

ngarcia11
04-01-2014, 10:17 AM
I just seen this post... I just posted a thread on a cleanup there also.... I'm in... place is a mess. It can use a good cleaning. Let me know more info

jmpgnr24k
04-01-2014, 10:32 AM
I did a clean up there a few years back. announced it and everything. 1 calgunner showed. it was me and my friends. hauled out 900lbs to the dump and a grip of tires to Americas tire. they waived the fee for used tires when I told the manager why I had them.

I say, set a date and go. don't count on others. just go and plan o cleaning more than shooting. if you wait around for a dumpster it wont happen.

^^^this is what I do. If you guys can get a cleanup party set up that's great. If not just get out there shoot , have fun, and clean up when done. Also take steel to shoot at. It's lots of fun and doesn't leave a mess.

jmpgnr24k
04-13-2014, 4:39 PM
Was at hodge this weekend. Drove back pretty far and found a nice secluded clean spot. Wanna keep hodge a place to shoot? Do what I do. The pics are what the place looked like when I got there and how it looked when I left. Use steel targets to minimize trash and pick up everything you brought. If all of us would do this. We'd have no problems.

jmpgnr24k
04-13-2014, 4:41 PM
When I left

jaymz
04-13-2014, 4:58 PM
Just went today. Hauled out a hefty bag full of shotgun shells and broken glass.

twotacocombo
04-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Was out there a couple weeks ago, right next to where they store all those trailers and whatnot. What a mess this place has become. There was a pile of broken glass about 30ft in diameter and an inch thick; could probably see it from space. We set up firing into a berm, and there were big screen TVs, tires, drums, etc. Enough shotgun hulls to pave the road back to Victorville. I picked up all of 10 pieces of brass left behind from others, which means everyone's taken the time to police their brass but couldn't be bothered to pack out their garbage. What a disgrace.

Totmacher
04-16-2014, 1:10 PM
What a disgrace.

Yeah I agree! In fact I hope the BLM takes it away. Because there are people that will only learn the hard way. Go ahead flame me, but unless YOU visit Hodge you have no reason to.

Since I was a kid when my dad would take me out by Hodge & we would always pick up trash before we left.

Are there any plans for a clean up anytime soon??

Mithrandir13
04-16-2014, 1:19 PM
BLM told me most of the area is privately owned....

2bits
04-18-2014, 9:13 AM
I'm in for the clean up. I have a small pickup and I'm not afraid to use it.

Rickrock1
04-18-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm down for another clean up, I have plenty of hand tools and help. Keep us posted.

Thanks

8mmFMJ
04-23-2014, 7:42 AM
I basically stopped using hodge when someone walked out 300 yards in front of my 30.06 scope while I was shooting. One of the worst feelings I have ever had. Haven't really been back since. If I drive down the 15 and see even one car at hodge (always do for the last year), I keep driving. Usually end up north of I40.

Place is full of irresponsible gun owners and I'm done with it. Sucks for me, I'm 25 min away.

If y'all really are serious id donate my trailer, ezup, and a shovel/rake. Not gonna touch much with my hands though. Last thing I need is a shard of glass in ma shootin hand! :D

twotacocombo
04-24-2014, 1:10 PM
BLM told me most of the area is privately owned....

Apparently, a good portion of it is. Last time I was there, a guy and his wife(?) stopped by our camp asking for directions. They had apparently been left a small plot of land by her relative, and asked me if I knew where some address on Hodge road was. I almost laughed at the notion of an address out there, but he produced a map with many plots sectioned off and had one marked that was theirs. Looks like a lot of them are at the northern end of Hodge, where it meets National Trails. I've yet to see anything marked off as private on southwest side of the road, though.

MrElectric03
05-12-2014, 9:15 PM
I'll keep an eye on this thread, if a cleanup is setup and I can make it I'll surely be in if I'm available.

m35a2
06-09-2014, 8:52 PM
Any progress on this? I was out there this last weekend, it is lookng horrible. There needs to be a trash, wood/burnable, steel, aluminum volunteer. I am up for it if a clean up happens. I could probably recruit a few others with trucks and maybe get some rolloffs. It will take some time, so i need lead time...a couple of weeks.

Leadingall
07-12-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm in to volunteer some time, tagged

Mithrandir13
07-13-2014, 4:23 PM
unsubstantiated rumor.... hodge closed due to some miscreante shooting across the freeway.... hopefully this is untrue.... anyone verify????!!!!!

MrElectric03
07-13-2014, 5:34 PM
unsubstantiated rumor.... hodge closed due to some miscreante shooting across the freeway.... hopefully this is untrue.... anyone verify????!!!!!

I live a few exits down and have heard nothing about it, but also haven't been out there in a month or so.

Crazy4Guns
07-13-2014, 7:05 PM

Not sure where you heard that rumor. It's still open with plenty of shooters. I go there almost weekly.

Mithrandir13
07-13-2014, 10:25 PM
AWESOME!!

tnx

k248576
08-31-2014, 12:08 AM
I wish I could make it, Wedding to attend, but here's a link to a cleanup date in October
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=970895