PDA

View Full Version : CA PPT, and DMV ID Question

ADH
10-11-2011, 2:38 PM
Hey all,

I just need a little clarification. I just moved from one CA address to another CA address. Yesterday I visited the DMV to update my info and was given an updated (with new address) vehicle registration on the spot. The new Drivers Licesnce, however, will not arrive for 2 - 6 weeks, so I currently have a registration with my new address and license with the old one.

I have a 1911 that I would like to list for sale. Do I have to wait for the new driver's license before I can sell PPT or to an FFL?

Thanks!

MatrixCPA
10-11-2011, 2:55 PM
You can use the DL with the old address as long as you have a proof of residency such as a cable bill, gas bill, etc.

See here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#33G

tenpercentfirearms
10-11-2011, 3:14 PM
I have a 1911 that I would like to list for sale. Do I have to wait for the new driver's license before I can sell PPT or to an FFL?No. There is zero requirement that I check your proof of residence as a seller of a firearm.

As long as you have a valid CA ID or DL, you can sell your firearms. Bring the secondary proof just in case the gun shop wants it, but there is no legal requirement to request so.

ADH
10-11-2011, 3:27 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info!

One other question, if the buyer's DROS were to fail, what then? Would my 1911 be in jail until my new DL shows up for the FFL to release it back to me? I have no idea how that part works.