PDA

View Full Version : Do your neighbors know about YOUR preparedness for a SHTF scenario?

TrailerparkTrash
10-11-2011, 1:29 PM
I have food reserves, weapons, water, supplies, fire sources, communications, etc.... But, my neighbors haven't a single CLUE that i have any of that! I keep them in the dark (to the best of my knowledge) about any of my survival/emergency resources.

Why? Because i dont want them comming to my house when SHTF, because they were too lazy to get prepared themselves. My stuff might become their stuff. In fact, i play stupid and ignorant with them. I tell them in passing, "oh, we really need to get some emergency food...supplies.... Etc" just to see their reaction.

Im never shocked to see that after time and time again, my neighbors refuse to take precautions. One neighbor admitted to a group of us that he has some canned foods and a 55gal drum filled with tap water in his garage. I saw my other parasite neighbors all chuckle and one woman said, "well we're comn to your house after the next big earthquake.). They all laughed.

Neighbors around here are nice, but instantly will become parasites and thieves after the SHTF in my neck of the woods. Better to continue my false belief that i dont have squat and that my family is gonna need help too!

What say you? Is it the same in your neighborhoods as well? Any of your neighbors know that you're prepared to be self sufficient for a while after the big _______________(fill in the blank) happens/occurs?

Bad Kitty
10-11-2011, 2:03 PM
All they know is that I'm armed...

guns4life
10-11-2011, 2:07 PM
I have a good relationship with my neighbors, when the SHTF we are going to take control of our block. However, my supplies are tailored for my family. We will plunder what we need from the next block over, then take control of that area and expand our empire. Eventually I will be king of South East San Diego...my will be done.

Maltese Falcon
10-11-2011, 2:09 PM
All they know is that I'm armed...

They don't even now that about me...Neighbors around me are totally clueless and would be helpless if power was out for more than a day.

Ripon83
10-11-2011, 2:10 PM
Just got a new neighbor last week, but he doesn't know didley and I haven't figured him out yet one way or another - I'm waiting for them to settle in. They seem like nice folks and had lots of friends help them move in. He runs a nice BBQ...love the smell.

Two other neighbors are both veterans. One Korea (old timer) and one Iraq who is about my age or a little younger. Both have indicated they are armed and ready to help out in a clash to which I told them I'd be glad to hold down my corner. We later had BBQ's where the old timer professed his love for an old M1A and the Iraqi vet said he preferred his AR-10. I told them I'm a wimpass AR-15 kind of guy - true enough. I didn't mention the other 12 or 15 items available.

Big Ben
I have a good relationship with my neighbors, when the SHTF we are going to take control of our block. However, my supplies are tailored for my family. We will plunder what we need from the next block over, then take control of that area and expand our empire. Eventually I will be king of South East San Diego...my will be done.

:80:

Neuvik
No, they have no idea that they are hording supplies for me.

MudCamper
10-11-2011, 2:25 PM
My neighbors run the gamut from clueless idiots to close friends to depression survivors to a Guadalcanal marine vet with a garage full of bottled water.

I don't tell any of them how I prepare (sans the close friend), but know that some of them can be counted on to be self-reliant and good neighbors if times get tough. The sad part is that most of the old timers probably won't be around much longer.

emc002
10-11-2011, 2:35 PM
Living in the sticks on an iffy power grid, with what minimal neighbors I have, we all help each other out for every mini-SHTF we get.
By mini-SHTF I mean forest fires, power outages, bad snow storms, etc. We also are all relatively prepared (some more than others) and are all relatively self sufficient (livestock, springs/wells, generators, etc), so I don't see why that would change if it was a larger scale SHTF.

There is really something to be said for the way things used to be with neighbors. I mean, when's the last time you just stopped by your neighbors to check in with them or to stop and chat for no good reason and they in turn invite you to dinner or give you extra food from their garden? It happens all the time up here, I'm glad I'm out of the cities.

Now if it's TEOTWAWKI and marauding hordes or zombies come a callin', well, I'll leave that to the :TFH:

10-11-2011, 2:40 PM
I dont think my neighbores really know or have anything. Maybe a few houses down have a officer that lives there, perhaps hes somewhat prepared.
I like to keep my stash secured and out of view. I am pretty sure there are a handful of guns other then mine in the neghborehood!

Us3rName
10-11-2011, 2:48 PM
I tend to keep people close to the vicinity of my home in the dark.

My reasons are pretty much the same in the OP.

I do my best to keep things out of sight. For the most part they might know I love the out doors. Love to wrench on cars and crap. BBQ a lot. They have seen me walk the neighborhood with my flashlight every once in a while...

probably think i'm some weirdo.

rspar
10-11-2011, 3:01 PM
One of my neighbors knows cuz he bought a 55g water barrel from me but I have no idea if he has anything else and we haven't discussed much beyond that. All my friends know they also know if they're not prepared they're on their own.

Dutch3
10-11-2011, 3:08 PM
Most of my neighbors know of some of my assets, I imagine. The PV panels are in plain sight and they have heard the generator running during outages.

In this area, I assume they are all armed. There is really only one I would trust in any kind of serious scenario. The rest would likely become a liability.

rspar
10-11-2011, 3:20 PM
I'm considering storing some plywood for my windows so if there's lights in my house it won't be obvious. Also to keep prying eyes out.

chris
10-11-2011, 4:16 PM
my neighbors don't know what i have other than guns.

Shellshocker66
10-11-2011, 4:37 PM
Well I live in an older area of my town and have a lot of retired folks around me. Most all keep to themselves. On one side my elderly neighbor is too stoned from his medicinal marijuana to even think about being prepared. On the other side my party boy 50 something postman is too busy playing in his band and well partying to be prepared. I do have one leo something another (only know this because I purchased a shooting vest from him at a yard sale) might have something going for him and his family. Another about a block away is full on ex-marine/hunter/outdoors type that would probably be barricaded if SHTF.

Pretty much figure I'm on my own and plan on keeping them in the dark. I don't advertise.

11HE9
10-11-2011, 5:09 PM
My closest neighbor is about 250-300 yards away. I'm sure the ones who have payed any attention have heard my .22 on occasion. I haven't discussed any SHTF stuff with any of my neighbors. I have talked about some stuff with a couple co-workers, but never disclosing what I have. One of them is really starting to pick my brain and is gathering gear, recent political/global events spooked him.

toddthedog
10-11-2011, 5:24 PM
my neighbor across the street is my shooting friend slash ex navy so him and i are more than preparred but none of the other neighbors know of anything. we like to keep it that way

dls
10-11-2011, 7:18 PM
8 houses on my court. There's some skills that may be worth bartering for.
2 nurses one specializes in broken bones in ER don't know what he's called,a Dentist,School teacher,Ex LE pilot now medi-flight,a stoner house and a random old couple. And then me with quick access to generators,fuel,heavy equipment,some water storage and firearms houseboat or cabin for a bug out if needed.

Rhythm of Life
10-11-2011, 7:28 PM
No one in my neighborhood knows my level of prep besides my firepower.

BO plan is to meet up with parents 35 miles away. There we have a community of 12 homes that band together and each with supplies from basic to military grade as we have a high ranking military officer in charge of a base that lives next door.

cudakidd
10-11-2011, 8:09 PM
My neighbors don't have a clue...but I have noted those neighbors that are nice and plump!

And I do have access to a deep pit barbecue!

OC-Indian
10-11-2011, 8:14 PM

+1000

bsg
10-11-2011, 8:23 PM
i am on a "hi-bye" level of interaction with most of my neighbors. i keep my beliefs and any amount of SHTF preparedness to myself.

Yugo
10-11-2011, 8:31 PM
I'm in a condo situation 2 out of 40 units know I'm armed 1 of the 2 is also armed and hunts all his food the other one is a former military he knows of my weapons. And . The other 38 are sheep. I have been wanting to build "quite boxes". For my 2 small gennies that I plan on putting on the roof, no one will know anything even if the S hits. Although I can't help but hate on my next door neighbor (the former military one). He has 2 small kids and a sister with a small kid of her own and they have about 5 empty 5gal water jugs that I have been telling him to fill for the past year and they are still empty, he also keeps saying he will come to me if the S hits. I keep laughing at him that I won't let him in. I'm a wolf in sheeps clothing until I need to undress in these kind of situations.

RCJeeper
10-11-2011, 8:59 PM
I ain't gonna lie, I think the lone prepper will eventually be a dead prepper with lots of goodies to pillage. Sooner than later, you have to take a dump or catch a couple of zzzs after 36 hours of constant vigile, then there you are with your pants around your ankles and a bullet in your forehead.

I consider myself ahead of the prepper curve, not way ahead but moving in the right direction. I feel like the next best activity is to get a plan going with the neighbors who I think are similarly minded and I think there's more than a few.

The bad guys are gonna figure this looting thing out right quick. They'll be hungry and sloppy at first, and they'll lose a couple thug buddies right off the bat then, by the time they hit your neighborhood, they'll be pros. They'll watch for a day or two then when they detect a pattern they'll blitz your house.

Now same scenario as above, except there's 8 well armed, neighborhood compadres within a couple of yards who give you those few extra, precious seconds to get you pants up and slide racked and you end up with 3 new rifles and a couple of pistols instead of a gaping head wound.

The tricky part will be figuring out how to trust my neighbors and share my bounty, as well as having them trust me. No one person knows how to fix a car or dirtbike, set a fractured scapula, repair a radio, hunt and fish, generate electricity, plumb an irrigation system, heal a toothache, improvise explosives, make a bow, garden, repair a shoe and the list goes on almost indefinately.

I've read a bunch of post SHTF books now and one common thread in all these books is that the good guy survivors either banded together before or after the event and orgainzed quickly into an effective fighting/survival unit. That I believe, is the key.

Theriverjustknows
10-11-2011, 9:08 PM
Many of the neighbors know of our level of preparedness and have joked that they will come to our house if shtf. They'll be sol when we move out in 10 days if it does though.

bloodhawke83
10-11-2011, 9:57 PM
I am not sure they even know I got weapons.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BigFatGuy
10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
My neighbors are the ones who will be raiding your houses if the SHTF... I don't trust them, I don't talk to them, and I sure as hell ain't gonna feed them.

Scout2Diesel
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, ssh... loose lips sink ships.

problemchild
10-11-2011, 10:57 PM
My neighbors are --->Worthless!
Im eating their dogs because they bark all the time and piss me off.
None of my neighbors would survive any kind of shtf that lasted more than a week.

slam128
10-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Survival works best when you have alliances. Too bad I don't have any neighbors who share that idea. That's what my guns are for. To keep my neighbors from getting my goods.

EL_NinO619
10-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I got family, 2 brothers and a good buddy of mine that's a gun nut like me. I'm the biggest prepper of them all, but I am getting the Fam along with me. I live in a decent neighborhood, but the GHETTO is only a 1/4 mile away. I don't trust any of my neighbors but some have some valuable skills. There are a few, I think that would be good people and i could band together with. I will need support to survive all the scum that lives near by..

rp55
10-12-2011, 10:37 AM

I like your attitude, but kings are kind of passe. I plan to be Dictator-for-Life of Almaden Valley. Anyone in South San Jose that wants to get on board, now's the time.

TNP'R
10-12-2011, 1:38 PM
Nope and I don't want them to know, I've over heard them talking about drugs so yeah I mind my own business, don't want druggies knowing what I have.

till44
10-12-2011, 2:31 PM
I'm lucky and have great neigbors that have turned into shooting/hunting buddies. I routinely hunt with three of them, have built guns for two of them, and I'd say there's a minimum of 4 guns in each household. None of them are as prepped as my family but if SHTF I'd be willing to split up what I have for their help and services.

Between my neighbors we have a firefighter, EMT, ER nurse, super hunter (really this guy has killed everything), 4 large private gardens, and two swimming pools. To alienate my neighbors would mean cutting myself off from a lot of potential help/services/goods. I say make friends where you can, you'll need the help.

fabguy
10-12-2011, 3:56 PM
Some of my neighbors know about it, I have tried to teach and explain to them about preparing for an earthquake (at least) they chuckle and say "for what, we will go to your house" I tell them. " go ahead and you risk being seriously hurt or worst. My family comes first, if you don't prepare, I know how much yours means to you" they usually walk away upset (LMAO). No matter to me though, once it is all over they will probly hate me " OH WELL" I did take some advise from an earlier post about this and bought some soups and a few trinket type stuff for them to keep them at bay. I only worry about small kids, the adults " not so much"

Etihtsarom
10-12-2011, 8:51 PM
I think it's great that you, and I, are preparing so we can get through some disasters.

I think it's pretty rotten that you think your neighbors will instantly turn into thieves and parasites b/c they're lazy and unprepared blah blah blah. You probably don't even know their names.

I think it's pretty pathetic that as soon as something happens, we're not gonna help each other and even worse be prepared to defend our foods by shooting one another with guns.

Seriously?

race1
10-12-2011, 9:26 PM
My neighbors don't have a clue, and I would like to keep it that way to help aid in getting their support. You can dangle a carrot and get a lot out of it especially if you prove YOUR KNOWLEDGE is worth more than what you have stocked up. (this is sooo survivor!)

However I will be screwed once I fire up my 5k onan to power the onsite well! that will say almost everything about what I have and what little I do not!

Federalist
10-12-2011, 9:29 PM
All my neighbors know that I am a boy scout and assume I am somewhat prepared. Many know that I have a firearm or two. None have any idea of exactly what, or how much, I have.

In the event of a natural disaster, we have an ok group of neighbors. I have a good idea which ones I can count on, and which ones I cannot. I feel kind of responsible for a couple of them.

In the event of a longer term SHTF, its time to bug out before its too late. The only ones who know about this are in my bug out group.

TrailerparkTrash
10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
...I did take some advise from an earlier post about this and bought some soups and a few trinket type stuff for them to keep them at bay..."

A few rounds across their bow will make them "RUN" away! :D:D:D

stix213
10-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I told one neighbor that I have some preparations, after he told me the same.

Seeker
10-13-2011, 5:19 AM
No I dont tell anyone besides my family about my preparations. I have two co-workers who are also preparing for SHTF and also have weapons. One of the guys is preparing with me and we'll be helping each other out if the SHTF. One thing I will not share is the food though. You gotta have your own food bro.

dave3223
10-13-2011, 7:10 AM
I too have a tendency not to speak much of my preps. Yes, I have a lot of LEO around me and in my neighborhood. In fact my next door neighbor and another family a few doors down are both LE. Both individuals are good people and appear to have good families. However, I still don't talk about things to either of them as I find that even good people can do bad things when their kids are hungry. Being LE does not mean that they automatically prep, nor does it mean that they are good shooters. As a result, I tend to act like a sheep and continue to prepare as I can for the benefit of my family.

Having said that though, and not to hijack this thread, but what makes all of us so sure that we are more prepared than our neighbors? In reading this thread, there appears to be some who tend to show a lot of disgust in their neighbors. Why assume that they do not prep? If you have not been in their home, and seen all aspects of their living environment, why assume that they have nothing? Reading some of these posts, some people appear so sure that they will be kings of the neighborhood and their neighbors will flock to them for their knowledge. If I was a neighbor of yours, many of you would believe me to be a total sheep. However, if something truly bad happened, I would definitely not be dependent upon you as I believe in caring for my own family and I certainly would not find myself taking orders from someone who assumes themselves to be knowledgeable in a given area just because they think less of another.

There is no doubt that there are lazy, stupid, ignorant, and in some cases even worthless people. However, WTSHTF, don't be surprised to find that some of these people may have far superior knowledge than you in a given area. In addition, some of your neighbors may feel the same about you. Something to simply think about I guess.

dave3223

cannon
10-13-2011, 7:19 AM
The wife and I are the only ones who know what we're doing.

maddoggie13
10-13-2011, 7:25 AM
Only the hot one knows...;)

Peachdog
10-13-2011, 7:40 AM
I'm glad my family moved out of Sacramento when I was a kid. The neighborhood was being infested with gangs and to this day it's bad. Can't say I miss having bangers as neighbors, but then I'd know who to raid for a little extra firepower. :)

asheron2
10-13-2011, 11:32 AM

This^^^^^. Last time me and Neuvik said this we got a wrap from everyone for being super evil.........

TheChief
10-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I went through CERT training a number of years back and talked to many of my neighbors to gauge their interest in the program and discuss general DHS preparedness recommendations. None were interested in the program or discussing preparedness. I left telling them if something happened in our area I would setup a command post on our street and asked them to come over to request or offer any assistance and that I would always be available to talk further about it.

The focus was on CERT and DHS preparedness guidelines. At no point was Survival, SHTF, etc brought up. However, I was obviously also gauging there level of interest for the deeper aspects of preparedness we discuss in these forums.

I think two or three might have some level of preps but the rest will be hurting much past a week or two. But in truth, it’s a guess.

None of my neighbors know I am a Prepper. I don’t plan to change that unless I found a kindred spirit. I go to the range at least once a week and the neighbors have undoubtedly seen the range bags and long arm bags so they know I have a few bang sticks and shoot them regularly.

I wish it was different but reality is generally not what you want it to be...

Chaparral
10-13-2011, 1:48 PM
Some might have an idea from looking at the enormous vegetable garden and dozen fruit trees but otherwise, no one knows anything for certain. The Yugoslavian fellow probably has put 2 and 2 together as has another engineer guy who lives up the street a bit. I'm not particularly inclined to discuss personal preps with anyone. I keep all discussions "skills-based" rather than "preps based".

Etihtsarom
10-13-2011, 1:53 PM
I really haven't made up my mind what I would do yet. May be lay low the first week or 2. But I'm willing to bet that I'm not gonna let old Betty and her husband starve or bleed to death, nor my buddy who I kept telling to prep but never got around to it.
I'm also willing to bet most of you won't either. You may talk like you're tough guys, but you're probably decent.

If we're at week 8 and having to shoot up the invading gangbanger or starving neighbor, we're pretty much fcked any way.

Lucky Scott
10-13-2011, 2:10 PM
I like my neighbors, and although i dont know what extent they are prepared with supplies, I would hope that they would be extra people that could chip in and help us all survive.
Of course, I always look on the bright side.

BigFatGuy
10-13-2011, 2:38 PM
I think it's pretty rotten that you think your neighbors will instantly turn into thieves and parasites b/c they're lazy and unprepared blah blah blah. You probably don't even know their names.

Of course, you are correct. All of my neighbors, who have not done anything to prepare for any kind of disaster, will quietly and calmly allow me to find a way to stretch the supplies I got for my family such that I can feed the whole city for the duration of the disaster. Everybody will wait in line, and nobody will push or shove.

How silly of me.

:facepalm:

TrailerparkTrash
10-13-2011, 2:41 PM
I like my neighbors, and although i dont know what extent they are prepared with supplies, I would hope that they would be extra people that could chip in and help us all survive.
Of course, I always look on the bright side.

My clueless stupid neighbors couldnt skin an apple for cryn out loud! They are totally worthless. Any bit of help i try to give them, they just give me that deer-in-the-headlight look. I told them to simply stock up on some one gallon cases of water. They said in little whinny voices "oh but those are too heavy to buy, plus we're in the city, they will always have water for us.".

Im serious! They are clueless!

wjc
10-13-2011, 3:07 PM
My neighbors are also clueless. I don't tell them a thing...

LMT4ME
10-13-2011, 5:27 PM
It seems there is a common thread which I also share - do not know my neighbors all that well or they are clueless (in fact I've stopped discussing as most think I'm nuts), I'm fully stocked and ready to rock & roll.

Is it just me that thinks times have really changed and not for the better. I remember when I was 10-15 (40-45 years ago - sh*t I'm getting old). We had block BBQs twice a year. There were 5-8 families that would go camping each year for a week. There were 4-5 other kids and dads that would do a week long deer hunt and do a couple of pheasant hunts a year. We'd go out shooting 22 all day long. My old man was a doctor and mom was a nurse, my best friends dad was a rancher, another friends dad was an ex marine and could shoot a gnat of a post at 300 yards, another friends dad built custom motorcycles so the neighborhood was set with skills. We all had fruit or almond orchards in our yards and mom and some of the other moms got together and canned. I sure wish I was back in that environment now.

subijitsu
10-13-2011, 7:18 PM
They probably dont know a thing, unless they look into my garage when the doors opens and get a glimpse of my reloading equipment. We dont keep a whole lot of food supplies around for a SHTF, but we are Costco shoppers so we definitely have enough food and water to last us a couple weeks at any given time. If I have to hunker down longer than that, Im headed the 20 miles to my property in the hills where I have plenty of food stashed and a well. Those neighbors definitely have a clue and are prepared as well.

Seeker
10-14-2011, 4:15 AM
My clueless stupid neighbors couldnt skin an apple for cryn out loud! They are totally worthless. Any bit of help i try to give them, they just give me that deer-in-the-headlight look. I told them to simply stock up on some one gallon cases of water. They said in little whinny voices "oh but those are too heavy to buy, plus we're in the city, they will always have water for us.".

Im serious! They are clueless!

LOL :facepalm:

thunderbolt
10-14-2011, 6:32 AM
I live in a great neighborhood filled with service members that I play poker with and trust and in an emergency I expect that we could band together. Still I practice a certain level of OPSEC when it comes to my prep. Remember the guy that waves nicely at you when you mow your yard probably won't be waving when you're still eating while his family is hungry.

If we have learned anything from the Wallstreet protesters is that stupid, lazy, and gullible people will always eagerly agree to distribute your stuff for some misguided idea of "fairness." And keep in mind that the world is full of stupid people.

h0use
10-14-2011, 7:38 AM
My neighbors don't no I am prepared. But sorry to say I won't be helping them one bit. They are rude. I know they aren't prepared because when we had the black out there were only 3 homes including mine that had power. I have back generators. I have enough water for my family for about 2 months and fule to run my home and rv and cars for 2 months. Like one calguner said some of the neighbors wanted to know what everyone has and I opted out to telling them. The 2 other people that had power are friends and we kept in contact. It's amazing people coming to you asking if they can charge there phones and watch your tv for news and borrow stuff. And these are people you never have met. Don't get me wrong I am a sheepdog that will help people but those people need to be prepaired them selves. Or they will try to leech on you.

TonyKat
10-18-2011, 2:56 PM
You guys all sound like animals. What do you do to help them prepare. For example I'm in the middle of organizing the first Antelope Community Emergency Response Team. Antelope is where I live. I would much rather have 50% of my neighborhood prepared and organized, with a means of communication, and trust for each other than extreme chaos.

Kid Stanislaus
10-18-2011, 3:50 PM
TonyKat, get real. Truth of the matter is that not more than one in a hundred people are going to have enough food on hand to last more than a week. You can plead and conjole, maybe get just a few more on board, but the huge overwhelming numbers of the populace do not see the need for it. That's life. Good luck with that CERT project.

EmptySkuLL
10-18-2011, 4:06 PM
You guys all sound like animals.

Ill take that as a compliment: animals are survivors. Even animals know when something is after thier food or threatens thier family.

I'm sorry but the people who demand free sh1t and handouts who do nothing for themselves because "thats what the goverment is there for", deserve to bask in thier ignorance and starve. The only thing people like that are going to get from me (especially after TELLING THEM to prep and getting sarcastic rhetoric in return) is a "hows that government working out for ya" greeting and a one finger smile...

Chaparral
10-18-2011, 4:09 PM
You guys all sound like animals.

Probably because we've either lived through or read enough history and not that crap they teach in the schools either...

I learned enough about human nature in the school of hard knocks. Self delusion that things would all work out is not an option here.

Ripon83
10-18-2011, 4:39 PM
Well I'd like to think half of my town could survive too, but it won't. Maybe half of my home town, but not where I live now.

Its pretty clear in society right now we have the few demanding more than another few want to pay and a whole big class of people caught up in the middle paying hard for it. It doesn't take brain surgery to see serious problems ahead for this country. I'd love to help out my current city, or my home town, but if I'm dead there is no chance of that is there.

You ever been one person in front of a couple of doze with a different view of things - and those few dozen aren't happy about your view. I got to try it once.....I will never go there again.

You guys all sound like animals. What do you do to help them prepare. For example I'm in the middle of organizing the first Antelope Community Emergency Response Team. Antelope is where I live. I would much rather have 50% of my neighborhood prepared and organized, with a means of communication, and trust for each other than extreme chaos.

cranemech
10-18-2011, 4:40 PM

Wanna guess whose doors the other 50% are gonna come knocking on if SHTF?

The problem I have is if you do tell someone about your preps, you don't know who they are talking to about your preps. I try to play things close to the vest.

ExtremeX
10-18-2011, 4:43 PM

You guys are missing this dudes point... im sure hes referring to comments that sounds like YOU are the ones that would be doing the shooting and looting. Im all for getting my own house in order, but you wont make it far, if you are the only dude on the block with your lights on and food cooking in the back yard if things get that bad. Chances are you wont be the only people on the block with gun.

The better YOU AND your neighbors are prepared the better your entire comminuts is going to be. Granted, I will agree, in some areas of this world, I wouldnt want any of my neighbors help. But where I live, I rather have my block on my side holding down the fort from some looting regadage bastards than trying to do it all on my own.

ExtremeX
10-18-2011, 4:49 PM
Wanna guess whose doors the other 50% are gonna come knocking on if SHTF?

The problem I have is if you do tell someone about your preps, you don't know who they are talking to about your preps. I try to play things close to the vest.

I agree with this too, but it REALLY depends on who your neighbors are...

If you are a small town or community and EVERYONE is on the same page, then great...

BUT, in most urban areas, where your neighbors might be useless in normal life, chances are they wont be any help in a SHTF event either.

If keeping a low profile is your think then rock on... But if you are trying to organize and help the community you live in to be better prepared, I think that's a wonderful thing too. I dont trust a lot of my neighbors because I dont know them, but you never know if you are going to need one of their talents or services in the event of a disaster. Best keep an open mind, but of course, my house and my people come first.

m98
10-18-2011, 4:55 PM
My neighbors dont have a clue that I pack heat as well. They probably know that i do like to go fishing alot though. I know that within a .25Mi radius of my house there are quite a few fullauto weapons scattered around. I know cuz the idiots would blast it in its neighborhood once in a while to show off i guess.

cranemech
10-18-2011, 6:26 PM
The better YOU AND your neighbors are prepared the better your entire comminuts is going to be. Granted, I will agree, in some areas of this world, I wouldnt want any of my neighbors help. But where I live, I rather have my block on my side holding down the fort from some looting regadage bastards than trying to do it all on my own.

I agree. :thumbsup: I talk to select individuals, but not to my whole community,that was the point I was trying to make.

There was a reason for the saying "loose lips sink ships"

ExtremeX
10-18-2011, 7:04 PM
I understand both sides of this, both have their pros and cons...

I can see how raising awareness and preparation plans can make you look like a raving lunatic to some people. The same people who will probably be knocking on your door for supplies... But you cant blame someone for trying to raise a little awareness. I wont be doing door to door praising the good word, but I wont talk down on someone who is.

Personally I have a close nit group of friends who also love to camp, into the survival thing and whatnot. Ill admit, we still arnt really prepared, probably never will be... Assuming of the moral caliber of your neighbors isn't total crap, it would be nice to at least be on a somewhat friendly basis with the good ones. I have a neighbor that's all into wood working, lots of tools and supplies. If I had a hole in my roof, you better believe im going to try to barter SOMETHING to make it worth his time to help me fix that. He might be low on 9mm ammo, batteries, you never know. Whatever I do have, I have a lot of, so chances are, without some level of relationships; friends, family, neighbors, gated community folks, neighborhood street... most of us wont be getting very far. Bartering services or supplies will become the new currency. It just depends on how much S...T hit the fan.

If you have EVERYTHING to sustain you and your family for an extended period of time, then more power to you. Some of us don't have the money, space, or even experience to truly be 100% prepared.

But to answer the thread topic... My residential neighbors don't know anything about my SHTF planning. Its not really an open topic around here. I do try to make sure my family and friends are prepared to some degree, even if I do sound like a raving lunatic to them.

Just for the record: I do not consider a safe full of guns and ammo SHTF planning. Some people need to get a clue because if they think rolling around the streets with AKs and ARs is going to get them what they need, then you got some growing up to do. Chances are you are the ones that will end up dead in the street, because anyone who thinks there gona roll into someone turf and just take what they want without repercussions is kidding themselves.

Dubious_Beans
10-18-2011, 8:21 PM
I've got (mostly) great neighbors. I'm at least modestly prepared, and I think most of my neighbors are too.
My neighbors & I already have a pretty good history of sharing tools, skills, ammo, and food, and I think in a SHTF situation that trend would continue and most of the neighbors would do their best to take care of each other.

I've got pretty fair skills with "fixin' stuff" and when my neighbors need help I always try and make time to help them.
And when I need something, my neighbors help me.
Like when I wanted a few sticks for my stove, my neighbor dropped these in my driveway. (I had to stack 'em myself)

http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/blackhole/images/wood_1500.jpg

I know how much ammo they've got and they know how much ammo I've got and I think we'll all work together pretty well if it ever really comes down to it.

It's good to have good neighbors.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
10-18-2011, 8:28 PM

oooo man that's funny, sounds like fallout game.

LDSGJimbo
10-18-2011, 9:08 PM
My parents neighbors know because they have a 200sq ft shed in the back full of food.

Sent from my motorola with tapatalk.

ChangeMyNameToStupid
10-19-2011, 1:09 AM
Underneath my bed lies a month supply of MRE's, water, my ar15, a bug out pack, spare keys to my car, and my teddy bear (I'm serious). Close by lies a couple hundred rounds of ammunition and various cutting/slicing tools. Nobody knows about this in my home and I hope to keep it that way. My next door neighbor is an officer so I'm certain he also has a plan for SHTF scenarios.

socal-shooter
10-19-2011, 1:38 AM

lol

Paper Boy
10-19-2011, 8:18 AM
Nope. Most of my the people on my street only know I have two dogs and are on "Hello" terms with me. Since day one when I tried to say hi and introduce myself to people they all turned a cold shoulder, no idea why. I gave it a month of trying to be nice and friendly then gave up.

One nosey one keeps trying to get a good look in my garage. Any time the door is up he tries to walk in to talk to me and get a better look around, he really creeps me out. Needless to say all he sees are tools :D When I hear his door start to go up mine goes down.

Other then that no one really knows anything. They for the most part are parasites and jerks on a normal day. I cant imagine what they would do it the power or water went out for more than a day....

I am only friends with one family, but they dont know what I have and if it came to it I would help them but all the other people who refused to give me the time of day when I moved in are on their own....

geeknow
10-19-2011, 8:33 AM
Hell no. far as they are concerned, I am in the 'construction industry', and coach soccer. I dont talk guns, or anything of the sort with them. I even keep an extra shirt in my vehicle, for those days when I get home wearing an ammo bros shirt.