PDA

View Full Version : School me on off-roster handgun PPT from out of state

AragornElessar86
10-11-2011, 1:03 PM
Ok, so is it legal to PPT an off-roster handgun from out of state? Can anyone point me to the proper PC sections that deal with this issue?

Reason I ask is that my uncle in Reno has a gun that I want to buy off him, but it's off-roster, but it's something I've been rolling around in my head ever since I had to get my Px4 in .40 S&W because the .45 ACP isn't on the roster.

Untamed1972
10-11-2011, 1:10 PM
There is no such thing as an out of state PPT.

PPT must be conducted face to face IN CA.

bwiese
10-11-2011, 1:13 PM
Ok, so is it legal to PPT an off-roster handgun from out of state? Can anyone point me to the proper PC sections that deal with this issue?

Reason I ask is that my uncle in Reno has a gun that I want to buy off him, but it's off-roster, but it's something I've been rolling around in my head ever since I had to get my Px4 in .40 S&W because the .45 ACP isn't on the roster.

"PPTs" are really only between CA residents with CA ID. (DOJ is illegally overasserting this, but for now that's the way it stands.)

Transfers from out of state are not PPTs. Now, there exists the exemption for 'lineal intrafamily transfers' between grandparents, parents, children and grandchildren. Unfortunately, 'diagonal' relationships like uncles, cousins, etc. don't count. [Inheritance/ operation of law transfers are also exempt from Roster status.]

Outside of CA (and NOT INSIDE OF CA!!) if your uncle could legally transfer the handgun to your dad or granddad etc. in that state, then that party could in turn transfer the gun to you via "interstate intrafamily transfer" with services of a knowledgable CA FFL. Many FFLs do not understand this process.

What you CAN *possibly* do is have a non-Rostered handgun sent to a CA FFL that can convert it into a Roster-exempt (12133PC) single-shot pistol modified with 6+" barrel/10.5" overrall length/blocked to zero round capacity (see other threads here).

Unfortunately the PX4 in 45ACP you seem to be wanting likely has an expensive barrel , and is not a hot in-demand pistol (unlike Glock Gen4s and 1911s) so such an FFL would need an expensive spare barrel to weld a barrel extension onto. (These other more common guns generally allow an FFL to build up a 'library' of common 'single shot barrels' to keep sales flowing). Anyway, once you take possession of this single shot pistol, you are free to convert it back to originally-designed form.

Librarian
10-11-2011, 2:08 PM
See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki articles on

Intrafamilial transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

General Buying and Selling (including PPT) - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California

AragornElessar86
10-12-2011, 1:32 AM
I see where my confusion came from. I assumed there would be some sort of logic in the system. Thanks for clarifying the interstate vs. PPT distinction. I could have my wife's uncle transfer the gun to my FIL and then to my wife, but if that's not a straw purchase I don't know what is. Ah well, here's hoping we can kill the roster soon.