PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 question

indobos72
10-11-2011, 11:59 AM
If I was going to have one AK for the foreseeable future. Would this be a good one to get for the price?
http://sgcusa.com/rifles-2/century-arms/century-arms-ak-47-polish.html

It's a stretch money wise but if it's worth it might make the plunge. Any help appreciated.

zfields
10-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Im just gonna come out and say it. Saiga is my favorite way to go. New russian production, no US parts. No extra weight from a milled reciever. 299 from J&G then another couple hundred on conversion parts from carolina shooters supply.

Flame suit on.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Century is hit an miss quality wise. Barrels are not always straight, and the converted preban receivers tend to offer a sloppy magazine fit (but you might bet a new receiver so you would be OK). IO is also a very sloppy finish. So if it is an option you want to inspect them first.

Not being a big fan of the AK I would not invest much money into one. So century would be in the price range I would look at. I would just make sure the barrel was straight, magazine fit was right, and look for fit and finish issues like bad rivits and the like.

I've owned a couple AKs, wasn't all that impressed. Didn't live up to the hype. Nothing particularly wrong with them. They have some quirks I didn't care for. Hard to use sights, comparatively slow magazine changes, safety designed scratch the heck out of the finish, not the most accurate, and had just as many malfunctions as any other rifle out there including ARs. But they look cool and are fun to shoot.

I'm not saying they suck. I'm just saying they are not the next best thing since sliced bread like the fanboys make them out to be.

Would I own an AK again? Sure. Is it a huge priority? No there are other things that are higher on the list. What AK has my eye at the moment? I like the Draco AK Pistols. Looks like fun. Plus as far as the rifle pistol conversions (for lack of a better term) it is very affordable. If we could have SBRs here I would rather have a stock, but that's not an option here in CA.

Inquirer
10-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm sure somebody who owns both would be better qualified to answer this, but from what I understand if you're on a budget the upgrade to a milled receiver isn't really worth the extra dollar. You can get a Century AK for about $200 less than the price listed there. Also, if you want to go the route of converting your own from Sporter-style to AK, Saigas are on sale right now for $299.00 at J&G Sales (http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-pattern-rifles/p/saiga-7-62x39-sporter-rifle%2C-tgi-import%2C-new-/cPath/209_214/products_id/5888). Then a conversion kit will run you $125 at Carolina Shooter's Supply (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-449/TAPCO-SAIGA-RIFLE-CONVERSION/Detail). That'll give you among the best AKs you can get (somewhere between Century, which has a bad although partially undeserved reputation, and Arsenal, which is the anointed brand) for $425.

--Inq

NorCalK9.com
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Its nice but the wasr10/63 is a better buy for the monet imo. As for tacticool guy up there bashing ak in his subtle way. I'll tell you this my ak74 that I built will out do any of your so called better rifles! My ak47's heck even my wasr 10,000+ rounds not a single problem with the rifle itself!
+ he sells AR stuff so he wants people to buy ar's so that maybe they'll one day buyparts from him.
AK's are my number 1 and I use to be an ar fanboy owned 8 different ar's all mid to highend in the end they weren't as good IMO as ak's!
With that said I am in the process of gettung another ar to play with.
And the saiga route is a good choice too

zfields
10-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Century is hit an miss quality wise. Barrels are not always straight, and the converted preban receivers tend to offer a sloppy magazine fit (but you might bet a new receiver so you would be OK). IO is also a very sloppy finish. So if it is an option you want to inspect them first.

Not being a big fan of the AK I would not invest much money into one. So century would be in the price range I would look at. I would just make sure the barrel was straight, magazine fit was right, and look for fit and finish issues like bad rivits and the like.

I've owned a couple AKs, wasn't all that impressed. Didn't live up to the hype. Nothing particularly wrong with them. They have some quirks I didn't care for. Hard to use sights, comparatively slow magazine changes, safety designed scratch the heck out of the finish, not the most accurate, and had just as many malfunctions as any other rifle out there including ARs. But they look cool and are fun to shoot.

I'm not saying they suck. I'm just saying they are not the next best thing since sliced bread like the fanboys make them out to be.

Would I own an AK again? Sure. Is it a huge priority? No there are other things that are higher on the list. What AK has my eye at the moment? I like the Draco AK Pistols. Looks like fun. Plus as far as the rifle pistol conversions (for lack of a better term) it is very affordable. If we could have SBRs here I would rather have a stock, but that's not an option here in CA.

Its normally the gas block or sights that are canted, not the barrel. Also, its the newer, converted single stack receiver which *tend* have more slop. It really matters what drunken monkey is on the magwell cutting line that day.

As for reliability, I think you are lying to yourself on that one.

Nathan Krynn
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't think he was bashing them, he just doesn't like them as much.

I know guys who can run AK's as good or better then most people who run AR's.

Personally I agree though I don't like them as much but still own a few AK's. I think it boils down to I have a lot of training on the AR platform and not much more then range time on the AK's. I also think other platforms have much more ergonomics.

It is kind of like I don't run striker fired pistols, but they are still good guns. I just prefer 1911's and wheel guns.

As for the OP don't get a milled. They are cool and all but much heavier and no real benefit. I have an old arsenal milled SAM-7 (from before they were just converted Saigas) and while the rifle is awesome it is a heavy SOB and never shoot it. If I grab an AK its my stamped one. For AK's I like simple light weight that I can abuse

SJgunguy24
10-11-2011, 2:33 PM
To be honest, i'd take a Romy G kit build done by somebody who knows WTF they're doing over that milled us barreled century build.

ns3v3n
10-11-2011, 3:08 PM
+1, but only because I have a converted one as well and I love that thing to death.

Im just gonna come out and say it. Saiga is my favorite way to go. New russian production, no US parts. No extra weight from a milled reciever. 299 from J&G then another couple hundred on conversion parts from carolina shooters supply.

Flame suit on.

Rekrab
10-11-2011, 3:29 PM
I don't think he was bashing them, he just doesn't like them as much.

I know guys who can run AK's as good or better then most people who run AR's.

Personally I agree though I don't like them as much but still own a few AK's. I think it boils down to I have a lot of training on the AR platform and not much more then range time on the AK's. I also think other platforms have much more ergonomics.

It is kind of like I don't run striker fired pistols, but they are still good guns. I just prefer 1911's and wheel guns.

As for the OP don't get a milled. They are cool and all but much heavier and no real benefit. I have an old arsenal milled SAM-7 (from before they were just converted Saigas) and while the rifle is awesome it is a heavy SOB and never shoot it. If I grab an AK its my stamped one. For AK's I like simple light weight that I can abuse

Feel free to send your SAM-7 on over to me. Heck, I'll even pay for the barrel extension and shipping. :chris:

indobos72
10-11-2011, 4:00 PM
Thanks guys for all the response. While I like my AR. I still want to have an AK to round out my collection. I asked about the milled, because it looks pretty good but I have never handled one before. Heck I have only fondled one WASR at Turners and that is about the extent of my AK experience. I would definitely love to build one but I just do not have the time right now. I am at $500 currently but was willing to put out some more for a better AK. Apparently not this one. Hmm, I know there are fanboys of AK's, AR's and Saiga's which I think would guess none of us would turn one down. I just want something to compliment my SKS since I am about to purchase a bunch of 7.62x39 and want something else to use with it. I am in the I.E. Any recommendations of somewhere to get a good deal near me? Don't really care which as I know I will most likely own one of each. Thanks

Speedpower
10-11-2011, 7:13 PM
WASR's at Turner's goes on sale almost every 2 or 3 weeks, might not be surprised that it might go on sale this Thursday, I bought mine from them, and it's a shooter, very reliable and precise, it hits the steel plate at a 100 yards with the original Iron sights

zfields
10-11-2011, 7:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the response. While I like my AR. I still want to have an AK to round out my collection. I asked about the milled, because it looks pretty good but I have never handled one before. Heck I have only fondled one WASR at Turners and that is about the extent of my AK experience. I would definitely love to build one but I just do not have the time right now. I am at $500 currently but was willing to put out some more for a better AK. Apparently not this one. Hmm, I know there are fanboys of AK's, AR's and Saiga's which I think would guess none of us would turn one down. I just want something to compliment my SKS since I am about to purchase a bunch of 7.62x39 and want something else to use with it. I am in the I.E. Any recommendations of somewhere to get a good deal near me? Don't really care which as I know I will most likely own one of each. Thanks

No one ever says bad things about saigas, take the hint : )

tujungatoes
10-11-2011, 8:10 PM

The finish is "meh", In stock configuration they look like a half completed abortion of a rifle, the trigger pull sucks a big hairy one, if you're very lucky you will only have to cut off a cover to thread on a muzzle brake(and it still doesn't look right half the time), non standard magazines...the need to convert...I could go on.

There's plenty of bad things about saigas. Still good rifles though. It just depends on what you wanna do with it, and how mechanically inclined you are.

LBDamned
10-11-2011, 8:24 PM
If you don't mind single stack 10 rd mags, check out the Zastava PAP... quality made, accurate, zero hickups for me so far - very fun to shoot.

Zastava is a reputable manufacturer in Serbia (Yugo)... price is a little higher lately (since it hasbecome a bit more popular, mostly in other states) but its still as cheap as any other AK variant... the fit & finish and overall quality is much better than any Romanian or polish AK that I have handled.

For the price the saiga imported by RAA and TGI seem worth considering too

ZX-10R
10-12-2011, 6:23 AM
Get that Polish...You can get a WASR or Saiga easily...Most of the guys here have never lived outside of a CA and could not tell you how easy/ hard it is to come by certain guns. I saw that Polish a bit ago and it seems they were everywhere...Just like Yugo M70s/ 64s and UF variants when I was in WA - Cheap like $450 - Now you have to pay $800...Well, you see any Yugo on sale lately? If you want to get the Polish which is milled I say go for it. If you are in the cheap then get a WASR...If you want to be down with CGN then get a Saiga (Seriously this is not a site you want for AK info considering it is biased toward Saiga compared to other AK specific sites - be warned).

I am cool with CAI guns...Some people got burned and spread a myth around. Then some cool guys at CGN perpetuate the myth...No one has taken my little shoot off offer yet versus my crappy CAI rifles? Where are you guys? That should tell you alone, go to an AK specific site...Saigas are cool, so are WASRs (I have 2), but if you can get something with instant gratification that is out of the box the Polish would be my choice. Which can you get easily is the summary and which is more plentiful...

Go look up Yugo M70s/ 64s...You will see my search is going to cost me dearly but I am cool with that.

ZX-10R
10-12-2011, 6:26 AM
If you don't mind single stack 10 rd mags, check out the Zastava PAP... quality made, accurate, zero hickups for me so far - very fun to shoot.

Zastava is a reputable manufacturer in Serbia (Yugo)... price is a little higher lately (since it hasbecome a bit more popular, mostly in other states) but its still as cheap as any other AK variant... the fit & finish and overall quality is much better than any Romanian or polish AK that I have handled.

For the price the saiga imported by RAA and TGI seem worth considering too

Good call. Where did you get yours...I have seen conversion to look like the M70.

Shellshocker66
10-12-2011, 6:59 AM
I'm going to chime in and say Saiga also. Feel in love at the range one day when a guy next to me had a converted one. So I picked up a new one, cleaned it up and oiled it, took it to the range and was doing the happy dance with wonderful groups at 50 yards. Still need to order my conversion parts and some wood furniture, but I couldn't be happier!

H2O MAN
10-12-2011, 8:32 AM
If I was going to have one AK for the foreseeable future. Would this be a good one to get for the price?

It's a stretch money wise but if it's worth it might make the plunge. Any help appreciated.

I don't have any experience with that one, but I can tell you that I did my homework before I purchased my 'keeper' AKM.
I sampled Chinese MAK-90s, sold them and purchased a pre-ban Norinco type 56S.
This purchase was a stretch for me money wise and it was well worth it. Shop for a pre-ban Norinco or Poly Tech.

69Mach1
10-12-2011, 8:34 AM
I sampled Chinese MAK-90s, sold them and purchased a pre-ban Norinco type 56S.
This purchase was a stretch for me money wise and it was well worth it. Shop for a pre-ban Norinco or Poly Tech.

That will limit us (Californians) to one or two models. Prebans are hard to get already......

LBDamned
10-12-2011, 8:35 AM
Good call. Where did you get yours...I have seen conversion to look like the M70.

Yes, it's the civilian version on the M70...

I got mine from Hinterlandoutfitters.com - I sent Brett a Solar Tactical mag lock, he installed it and shipped to my FFL... at the time it was $388 shipped - but I think they are getting more expensive now.

It's a great gun, I love it. And even though I dont mind the single stack 10, they are proprietary and sometimes hard to find... the WASR 10 single stack fit, but I cant stand those pos metal mags, so I stock up on the OEM PAP mags when I can find them (every now-and-then Gunbroker has 'em, I have six being shipped right now + six I've had from prior... should be enough I think :D).

SJgunguy24
10-12-2011, 8:40 AM
Yes, it's the civilian version on the M70...

I got mine from Hinterlandoutfitters.com - I sent Brett a Solar Tactical mag lock, he installed it and shipped to my FFL... at the time it was $388 shipped - but I think they are getting more expensive now.

It's a great gun, I love it. And even though I dont mind the single stack 10, they are proprietary and sometimes hard to find... the WASR 10 single stack fit, but I cant stand those pos metal mags, so I stock up on the OEM PAP mags when I can find them (every now-and-then Gunbroker has 'em, I have six being shipped right now + six I've had from prior... should be enough I think :D).

Got a pic of the mag well? I'd like to pick up another Yugo. I love my M70.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/myyugo.jpg

LBDamned
10-12-2011, 8:48 AM

no pic handy, but there are several threads about conversion (with pics), if that's what you are thinking... it's nearly impossible to convert to accept standard mags - which is the drawback for some, however I don't mind.

I've only read about one successful conversion, and there werent even any pics (so I dont know how true it even is)... but if you search Zastava PAP, it's one of the most common topics (I'm talking Google search, not CGN search) and there are a few places that have pics that show the challenges of conversion.

Zastava was smart in designing it the way they did for the US market - targeting the growing number of states with capacity laws... the Rambo types that think only a military issued weapon will work for shtf, like to poo poo the rifle because of the mag, but when you handle it compared to the AK being offered locally, it's night and day.

someR1
10-12-2011, 8:54 AM
$ 689 is sky high for that Century.

BUT the WASR is about $450, and if you order it from http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-Certified-AK47-w-bayonet-and-two-magazines-50p10.htm they make sure it's reaady to rock !

69Mach1
10-12-2011, 9:53 AM

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/Picture020.jpg

NorCalK9.com
10-12-2011, 10:12 AM
To be honest, i'd take a Romy G kit build done by somebody who knows WTF they're doing over that milled us barreled century build.

I'd take one built by you any day too!!!!

TitanIsrael
10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Saiga AK from Classic Arms.net why settle for less.

Mamluke
10-12-2011, 1:42 PM
Go in the middle & get that Polish AKMS underfolder for a mere $499 from Henderson Defense.
Features:
NoDak Spud receiver with dimples
Tapco G2 trigger group

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/catalog/polishunderfoldercentury_1706_general.jpg

Link:
Henderson Defense AKMS Polish Underfolder (http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Polish-AKMS-Underfolder-AK47-50p271.htm)

.... :popcorn: ....

tujungatoes
10-12-2011, 2:28 PM
Polish underfolder with a yugo grip huh?:rolleyes:

CSACANNONEER
10-12-2011, 2:45 PM
Flame suit on.

No US parts? Sure but, as soon as you want to convert it to a non importable rifle, it needs to have no more than ten imported parts on it. That means, you legally have to replace the imported parts with US made ones.

For the cost of a Saiga, conversion parts and the time it takes to weld holes and properly convert it, I'd rather have a Romy G build with an original barrel. Then again, I may be a bit bias. I only own one Saiga but, I own at least half a dozen Romy G builds and "a few" builds with parts kits from other countries too.

I like my unconverted Saiga but, legally, it can only use 10 round mags until it is 922(r) compliant. The trigger pull sucks but, I can live with that too.

Are you turning into some kind of "AK purist"?

SJgunguy24
10-12-2011, 3:00 PM
no pic handy, but there are several threads about conversion (with pics), if that's what you are thinking... it's nearly impossible to convert to accept standard mags - which is the drawback for some, however I don't mind.

I've only read about one successful conversion, and there werent even any pics (so I dont know how true it even is)... but if you search Zastava PAP, it's one of the most common topics (I'm talking Google search, not CGN search) and there are a few places that have pics that show the challenges of conversion.

Zastava was smart in designing it the way they did for the US market - targeting the growing number of states with capacity laws... the Rambo types that think only a military issued weapon will work for shtf, like to poo poo the rifle because of the mag, but when you handle it compared to the AK being offered locally, it's night and day.

Um...yeah I can make that happen, no problem.

Noticed that too eh'? Thanks for the pic Mach, damn I guess you really do own 1 of everything.
Now, do you have a Polish Beryl in 556?

Mamluke
10-12-2011, 3:20 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/Picture020.jpg

Whats all that orange dust all over? Is that from shooting corrosive ammo?!

LBDamned
10-12-2011, 3:39 PM
Um...yeah I can make that happen, no problem.

the only one I've heard of being done had feed issues... have you converted a PAP before? If so, wish you were closer...

as stated, I dont mind using the Zastava mags, but choices would be good... I'd have to see (and prefer to shoot) a converted one though - I've researched quite a bit and havent found much (if anything)...

tujungatoes
10-12-2011, 4:01 PM
Are you turning into some kind of "AK purist"?

Me...a purist?:rofl: No, but I do notice things from time to time.

...the only one I've heard of being done had feed issues...

I think I remember reading that the bullet guide on those PAP rifles(and possibly the lug on the bolt that picks up the rounds) is specifically for a single stack magazine. Wouldn't be too hard to modd/replace it. Kind of interesting. never actually bought an AK before, but I could always use another yugo.

SJgunguy24
10-12-2011, 4:15 PM
the only one I've heard of being done had feed issues... have you converted a PAP before? If so, wish you were closer...

as stated, I dont mind using the Zastava mags, but choices would be good... I'd have to see (and prefer to shoot) a converted one though - I've researched quite a bit and havent found much (if anything)...

It wasn't done right, i'm positive I could get that running. The mag well rivets need to go first then lock that into the mill and get rid of that excess trunnion material. A new bullet guide would need to be installed, since all of the single stack AK's i've seen have the guide in the mag. The only one that gave me a problem was an FEG, it had an elongated magwell so I had to either weld in some material or fabricate a new mag catch. The mag catch being easier so thats the route I went.
I've worked on a couple of guns before

LBDamned
10-12-2011, 4:23 PM
It wasn't done right, i'm positive I could get that running. The mag well rivets need to go first then lock that into the mill and get rid of that excess trunnion material. A new bullet guide would need to be installed, since all of the single stack AK's i've seen have the guide in the mag. The only one that gave me a problem was an FEG, it had an elongated magwell so I had to either weld in some material or fabricate a new mag catch. The mag catch being easier so thats the route I went.
I've worked on a couple of guns before

I don't doubt your ability - but I don't think the PAP is like the others you have done... when I have some time I'll dig up detailed info of the problems that exist (there are others that have addressed conversion of this gun that have "worked on a couple of guns before" too ;)) And done right (or wrong), the time/expense isn't even worth it really...

CSACANNONEER
10-12-2011, 6:32 PM
Kind of interesting. never actually bought an AK before

The best qoute in this thread!

I wish I could say the same but, alas, I didn't meet Mcgyvertoes until I'd already spent $240 on a WASR.