PDA

View Full Version : How many of you UOC?

weinerd
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you out there normally open carry a majority of the time you're out in public?

If you normally don't, will you start UOC until the ban takes effect (Jan 1st is it)??

Haven't done it myself, but then again I'm in the bay area and people tend to freak out...

RRichie09
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Nope. I will get a LTC as soon as its an option though

Left Coast Conservative
10-11-2011, 11:53 AM
... because I live in San Jose, and the majority of my time out in public is spent driving all over Santa Clara Co. to various job sites. Given the impossible GFSZ geography, probable police contacts, and citizens who wet their pants at the sight of a gun, UOC is ludicrously impractical for me.

I have no plans, and never have had plans, to UOC, or LOC, or LUCC in Santa Clara Co. because of the aforementioned reasons.

I would love to have a LTC, and would carry at least some of the time, but until that day, not.

Ubermcoupe
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM
... because I live in San Jose, and the majority of my time out in public is spent driving all over Santa Clara Co. to various job sites. Given the impossible GFSZ geography, probable police contacts, and citizens who wet their pants at the sight of a gun, UOC is ludicrously impractical for me.

I have no plans, and never have had plans, to UOC, or LOC, or LUCC in Santa Clara Co. because of the aforementioned reasons.

I Mirror Left Coast.

Decoligny
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I was a regular LOC carrier until I got my LTC.

I live in rural Kern County, outside any city limits, and there are no laws prohibiting the discharge of a firearm in my area.

I would UOC when I went into the city to participate in UOC lunches, beach walks, etc.

I will be carrying concealed from now on.

PsychGuy274
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you out there normally open carry a majority of the time you're out in public?

If you normally don't, will you start UOC until the ban takes effect (Jan 1st is it)??

Haven't done it myself, but then again I'm in the bay area and people tend to freak out...

I UOCed when I lived in San Diego; never in a group though. Had four contacts with officers - two didn't even say anything the other two asked for an e-check and I talked them out of it and then we talked about guns. Pretty legit.

Out here in CO, I LOC when I'm walking my dog (I'm in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and there's a lot of wildlife) and I'll CCW once I get the funds for my permit.

Carnivore
10-11-2011, 5:52 PM
Did it once with a group, felt stupid with an empty gun on my hip but had to try it once. I did my middle finger to the man thing and went on my way. Will wait for my LTC and cover my middle finger from then on.

nicki
10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Will do UOC at events because I view it as "political expression".

As a practical matter, there are too many problems.

Here are the problems.

1. Unknown school zones which are a 24/7/365 problem.

2. Zealous prosecution if you make a mistake in entering those 1000 foot school zones which are a big problem in any urban area.

3. In a situation where you actually need to use your gun, by the time you load it, you would be dead or injured.

The fastest draw and load I get for myself is around 3 seconds and that is if everything goes right. In self defense situations, all fine motor skills are gone and the longer it takes for you to put your attacker in defense, the lower your chance of survival.

I figure if I can't get my first shoots off in under 2 seconds, then I would be dead.

Open carry means you lose any element of surprise.

A thug may think twice if you are carrying a loaded gun, carrying an unloaded gun actually may make you a target if the thug thinks they can get to you before you can load your gun.

4. I like the least amount of potential negative interaction with law enforcement in my life. Funny things can happen to people who get black listed by the police.

A few traffic tickets for instance can really wreck your life if you are targeted.

Nicki

joeyriv
10-12-2011, 1:57 PM
I used to UOC quite often, till we were asked to stand down, and the reasons for doing so made sense to me. I started to LUCC after that, but have LTC now.

ccmc
10-12-2011, 1:59 PM
Never have, never will.

Fiveohmike
10-12-2011, 2:02 PM
Did it once with a group, felt stupid with an empty gun on my hip but had to try it once. I did my middle finger to the man thing and went on my way. Will wait for my LTC and cover my middle finger from then on.

Same as me

CSACANNONEER
10-12-2011, 2:02 PM
Except as a political statement, I've never seen a reason to. I will continue to LOC or LCC when I need to and it's legal to. I doubt I'll ever UOC unless I'm walking a residence or bussiness to the trunk (a legal locked container for transport) of my car. Then again, this too will soon be illegal so, I won't even be able to do that.

moleculo
10-12-2011, 2:14 PM
I have UOC'd on quite a few occasions in the evening while walking the dog around my neighborhood. I started when the cops sent out a warning phone call to all residents in the neighborhood that there was a pack of coyotes on the prowl that attacked two people and were suspected to have either distemper or rabies. Considering that it's impossible to get a LTC here, there wasn't much other choice if you wanted to protect yourself. I haven't done it in a while, and never did it as a group or political statement.

loose_electron
10-12-2011, 2:20 PM
Why create drama with a useless paperweight on your belt?
LTC and CCW is what we all truly want I would think.

oso grande
10-12-2011, 2:58 PM

Plus one.
I consider it a game some folks like to play.

OG.

dantodd
10-12-2011, 3:06 PM
Only when I used to hunt. Haven't since I was a kid though. I suppose if I were at a gun event where OC were legal I probably would.

moleculo
10-12-2011, 3:10 PM
Only when I used to hunt. Haven't since I was a kid though. I suppose if I were at a gun event where OC were legal I probably would.

When I hunt, I LOC. :D

wheels
10-12-2011, 3:38 PM

I would love to have a LTC, and would carry at least some of the time, but until that day, not.

I don't see how LUCC garners me any attention - per the listed reasons above. One of my locking cases has a dual mag pouch on the outside, has not been noticed yet.

I utilize my LTC(s) whenever I am able (no LTC for CA).
I always LUCC in my vehicle(s).
If I fall within an exception for 12026.2 I carry on my person. I have carried into a friends house who is CHP after checking that he understood 12026.2.

In my mind LUCC won't prevent being victim #1, but it could prevent you being victim #4 or #8 of some crazy DB.

I understand there is no one size fits all for self (or loved ones) defense - this is what I am comfortable with.

a1c
10-12-2011, 4:34 PM
Nope.

LTC application in progress. LOC or CC whenever hiking in legal areas, hunter's license and tags with me (pigs are always a possibility).

Would not UOC if I moved back to the Bay Area for the same reasons enunciated above. It would never dawn on me to UOC in SF or in the Peninsula - too many GFSZs, too much potential for trouble, and to be perfectly honest, UOCing seems to me a great way to invite handgun theft.

I'm sure some UOCers are very fast at drawing, inserting a mag and racking their slides, but I just don't want to chance it.

BluNorthern
10-12-2011, 4:37 PM
An unloaded gun ain't good for nothing.
I personally think unloaded carry is ridiculous.

rugershooter
10-12-2011, 8:50 PM

and unlicensed LOC without the schoolzone BS.

Highoctaneman1
10-12-2011, 9:40 PM
I have a list of "safe" locations in my head that are free from school zones. This includes things like choosing to shop at my local Target that is not in a school zone instead of Walmart.
When ever I can I will choose one of my "safe locations" to go about my business for the day while open carrying I do that.
The more time that goes by the longer my list of safe locations gets, and the more I am able to open carry.
It would be awesome if I could conceal carry because I would be able to carry at a lot more places.
I just feel more comfortable with a firearm on me. After spending my time in the Marines I have a sense of duty to my family and community that I just cant shake. I don't know how I could live with myself if I were to let my family and my community down by not being there when they needed me. I don't know, maybe the Marine Corps just brain washed me good but I care very little for my own life, the only thing that brings me joy is knowing that I can protect and defend the people around me so they may go on and do great things. I am a simple servant of the Flag and will remain so until I die. I think that is the only thing I am really good at.

any2cards
10-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I have a list of "safe" locations in my head that are free from school zones. This includes things like choosing to shop at my local Target that is not in a school zone instead of Walmart.
When ever I can I will choose one of my "safe locations" to go about my business for the day while open carrying I do that.
The more time that goes by the longer my list of safe locations gets, and the more I am able to open carry.
It would be awesome if I could conceal carry because I would be able to carry at a lot more places.
I just feel more comfortable with a firearm on me. After spending my time in the Marines I have a sense of duty to my family and community that I just cant shake. I don't know how I could live with myself if I were to let my family and my community down by not being there when they needed me. I don't know, maybe the Marine Corps just brain washed me good but I care very little for my own life, the only thing that brings me joy is knowing that I can protect and defend the people around me so they may go on and do great things. I am a simple servant of the Flag and will remain so until I die. I think that is the only thing I am really good at.

While I resent the parts about having to plan a route regarding when and where the open carry is legal (which isnt your fault at all), I completely agree with the rest!!!

Databyter
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I open carried a loaded pistol for years but the areas I lived in where largely unincorporated East County of San Diego.

Most of the time it was unintended. I lived on several properties I was a caretaker of and used to take long hikes every day to survey the land and exercise my dogs. I'd get near the highway, drop down and go into the local store with a pistol on my belt without even thinking about it and nobody said anything.

There were a lot of Border Patrol in the area and they never bothered me either, nor did the Sheriff.

I guess it helped that everybody knew who I was and where I lived.

A few times I even brought weapons down to Mexico by accident and was lucky to be able to bring them back. But that is a different thread for a different day.

My habits of carrying a loaded weapon near the Border in the East County saved my life at least Two Times, and possibly more since the deterent probably saved me from further attacks I don't know about. But I was assaulted with intent to kill twice, and I'm here to talk about it because of my Browning.

Databyter
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
An unloaded gun ain't good for nothing.
I personally think unloaded carry is ridiculous.

Unloaded carry is a form of both education and protest.

While I do agree that various factions of the pro-2nd ammendment rights groups should work together in a more co-ordinated and cooperative fashion I can totally see the benefit of giving citizens a constitutional moment of education.

Not to mention the police.

People in California have been programed to think that guns are always bad and the sight of them is always cause to call 911.

This is the kind of ignorance and kneejerk PC reaction that the open carry people were trying to dispell through pushing thier rights.

I think some showed bad judgement by going into certain areas when others would have sufficed just as well, educated as many, and alarmed alot less.

But I am a fan of the movement. I would like to see it more coordinated with the legal teams as in pre-announcements of the areas and the purpose so the public would not be as surprised and the police would have a heads up as well.

I know that to the purists this type of cooperation and warning defeat the purpose, but we all see the results of going too far too fast without regard to likely results.

cmaynes
10-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I open carried a loaded pistol for years but the areas I lived in where largely unincorporated East County of San Diego.

Most of the time it was unintended. I lived on several properties I was a caretaker of and used to take long hikes every day to survey the land and exercise my dogs. I'd get near the highway, drop down and go into the local store with a pistol on my belt without even thinking about it and nobody said anything.

There were a lot of Border Patrol in the area and they never bothered me either, nor did the Sheriff.

I guess it helped that everybody knew who I was and where I lived.

A few times I even brought weapons down to Mexico by accident and was lucky to be able to bring them back. But that is a different thread for a different day.

My habits of carrying a loaded weapon near the Border in the East County saved my life at least Two Times, and possibly more since the deterent probably saved me from further attacks I don't know about. But I was assaulted with intent to kill twice, and I'm here to talk about it because of my Browning.

If I am near the Federal Road I always LOC- I am usually carrying an AR as well.

Databyter
10-12-2011, 10:54 PM
If I am near the Federal Road I always LOC- I am usually carrying an AR as well.

As you should be. That area is no joke when you live there.

Eventually you WILL find trouble whether or not you are looking for it.