PDA

View Full Version : Wrong ammo purchased, so need to purchase a new rifle..

Mrbroom
10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
So I asked my brother-in-law to pick up some Winchester 270 Supreme ammo for me from Bass Pro Shops last week before our hunting trip.. No problem since he lives near it and I am in the South Bay area (LA).. I meet him up at our hunting grounds and he hands me a box of Winsheter Supreme 270 WSM.. Wrong ammo!!! So, since we can not return it.. and instead of trying to sell it.. I wanted to purchase another hunting rifle anyway (really wanted a 30-06 though).. What long guns out there do some of you recommend for this ammo.. I currently have a remmington 700 BDL (270 Win) and really like it.. want to stay with something along this line.. Thanks for any help..

ns3v3n
10-11-2011, 11:35 AM
If you really wanted 30-06, dont let one box of ammo stop you IMO.

JaeFern
10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
If you really wanted 30-06, dont let one box of ammo stop you IMO.

I agree. Get your 30-06 and sell the box of ammo. Make your brother buy it from you.

-Jae from my Photon 4G

Mrbroom
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Yea.. You guys are right.. I want to get my 30-06... Going to post it in the marketplace then.. See if someone local to me wants it.. of course I will take a loss on it but make the bro-in-law pay the difference!!!

sundayduffer
10-11-2011, 12:00 PM
excellent way to justify another buy...congrats!!!

RRichie09
10-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Yea.. You guys are right.. I want to get my 30-06... Going to post it in the marketplace then.. See if someone local to me wants it.. of course I will take a loss on it but make the bro-in-law pay the difference!!!

He was doing you a favor in the first place. Id let it go.

nastyhabts26
10-11-2011, 1:50 PM
Hey why dont you buy the 30-06 and make your bro in law buy the 270 mag

Richard Erichsen
10-11-2011, 3:04 PM
So I asked my brother-in-law to pick up some Winchester 270 Supreme ammo for me from Bass Pro Shops last week before our hunting trip.. No problem since he lives near it and I am in the South Bay area (LA).. I meet him up at our hunting grounds and he hands me a box of Winsheter Supreme 270 WSM.. Wrong ammo!!! So, since we can not return it.. and instead of trying to sell it.. I wanted to purchase another hunting rifle anyway (really wanted a 30-06 though).. What long guns out there do some of you recommend for this ammo.. I currently have a remmington 700 BDL (270 Win) and really like it.. want to stay with something along this line.. Thanks for any help..

Was it a 1000 round shipping crate, or a 20 round box? I doubt the typical gun store carried crates of "magnum" anything, most don't carry any new fangled magnum calibers at all and certainly not a fairly new "Short Magnum" with it's fat case knowing it will collect dust for years given the few rifles chambered for it.

I say take them apart for your own amusement, trade them for bait or give them away in a years time when you find no one has any interest because the relatively few rifles (all fairly new production) are chambered for 270 WSM.

If it were me, I would NOT buy a rifle in this caliber. .30-06, .270 (which is based on the necked down .30-06) are great, general purpose calibers with ammo available in every gun store from the big city to the swamp parishes of Louisiana. For all the perceived benefits of shorter, more thermally efficient cases, the downsides are just too great.

Stick with the tried and true unless you really have a good reason to deviate.

R

Dark Mod
10-11-2011, 3:12 PM
Lol, your doing it backwards. If you reload id say go for it, if not your in for a few hundred bucks more a year in just ammo costs depending on how much you shoot. Just sell the ammo on the marketplace, take a couple dollars loss, and buy a new 700 in whatever caliber suits your fancy. .308 performs very similar to .30-06 and is alot cheaper. Plus the chubby short cartridges look retarded

MikeR
10-11-2011, 3:29 PM
I almost did the same thing when i mistakenly purchased some 20ga birdshot.

Luckily (or maybe not=) the "ammo guy" at wally world knew my face and exchanged it for me.