PDA

View Full Version : Share your scanner stories!

GlockBlocker
10-11-2011, 9:50 AM
I thought it would be cool to have a thread to post interesting things you hear on your scanner.

So I'll start:

Last night I was in my office and I heard a gunshot at 8:37pm. I had a window open on the other side of the house, where the sound came from, and it took a couple seconds to register that it actually was a gunshot rather than a backfire or some random noise. It sounded exactly like what you would hear on the shop side of an indoor range.

After listening outside for any commotion or distress and hearing none, I turned on the scanner and there were several reports coming in. I used google to see exactly where they thought it came from. I heard one shot, others reported 2. It was about 2,000 ft away according to google, .. I thought for sure it was closer.

An hour later, they were still looking into it, I don't think they found out where it came from.

No exciting ending, but this time was pretty neat to actually tune in and hear what was actually going on from what I heard happen outside.

Burbur
10-11-2011, 2:35 PM
On The 4th of July there was a MWF (Man With Firecracker) call every 10-20 seconds for 6 hours.

Never anything exciting within range (darn :P) Even when every unit in town is code 4, it's just a car crash.

GlockBlocker
10-11-2011, 2:45 PM
Yeah, a lot of nights are borring, but if I'm working in the office, I'll put it on.

Last night was pretty unique though, lots of action for not being a big city out here.

A little later in the evening, there was another call from a neighbor/caretaker of one vacant house, that 2 guys on an ATV rode up to the house with beer and went inside.

The caretaker and a friend went to see what was going on. The friend was giving a play by play with 911. He mentioned the caretaker had a Glock.

It escalated to where the caretaker held one of the guys at gunpoint, had the guy stay on the ground for about 10 minutes until the sheriffs got there. The other guy never came out of the house, maybe he went out back, there were apparently "woods" back there.

The caretaker's friend was on the phone the whole time reporting updates.

He put the gun down when the deputy arrive and they detained the suspect. I hope the caretaker didn't get in trouble for holding the guy at gunpoint... even if it wasn't the smartest thing to do.

I wish there was a way online to see the outcome of the calls.

Dutch3
10-11-2011, 2:55 PM
In early 1997, there was a serious threat of major flooding here. It had been raining for weeks and the rivers were running full levee-to-levee. The Oroville dam spillway was open full bore, but there was concern the dam would be overtopped.

Most areas downstream were evacuated, including Yuba City, Marysville and a large portion of Yuba County. We were not evacuated, but would have had difficulty going anywhere since the local roads were all underwater. We were at home one night, watching the news and listening to the scanner.

A Yuba County SO unit was attempting to assist some residents evacuate south of Marysville, when he reported he rounded a curve and saw a wall of water approaching his vehicle. The levee had just failed. There was a unit behind him with a boat on a trailer, and the next few minutes were chaos on the radio as they managed to get the boat off the trailer and used it to get the residents and themselves to safety. There was panic in their voices, I will never forget it.

Since then, developers have built thousands of expensive homes and condos in that exact same area. How soon they forget.

osokne
10-13-2011, 4:11 PM
Well, it's on just about constantly. Just moved after living in a "high" crime area, for the last 14 years. Now, we're about 2 miles away and enjoying the quiet.

Anyway... I have heard just about any kind of call there is, I suppose. Car chases, foot chases, burglaries in progress, domestic violence, fights, stabbings, shootings, traffic stops, noise complaints... the list could go on for some time.

Earlier today, they were checking all the flood drainage & canals, for a (human) body. Didn't catch if they found it, or not... or why they were checking.

A few weeks back there was a car chase that left & went back to the freeway, several times. He "foot bailed", carjacked someone at gunpoint, took that car, drove like the devil through town, blowing stop signs & red lights. Hit 7 or 8 other cars and when that car was dead, he jumped out and carjacked a second car. Hit 2 more cars then disappeared. He was wanted and had an extensive record. He was located & picked up without incident, a few days later.

A few days ago, I heard something that was a bit out of character (and a bit funny). Dispatch called for a Deputy's status. She replied: "Oops, sorry, my bad. I'm Code 4, it's all good".

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-13-2011, 9:41 PM
Theres a shots fired at a school in my city right now. Freq: 506.1750Mhz (Baldwin Park). Theres always interesting shots fired or stolen vehicles or even P.C. 186 and P.C. 187

haole_50
10-14-2011, 6:27 AM
Several years back while doing some reloading I heard an escape from Juvenile Hall (2 blocks from my house), and description of the escapees. I had my garage door open and saw 2 "yutes" running by. Called 911, and of course the IDIOT dispatcher would not take the information, nor got the info correct. They had sent them to the southern part of my street, when these two were heading north. The cops finally got it right after I called back and told them how stupid THEY were, and caught the two about 2 blocks north of my location.

OnTheTrail
10-14-2011, 7:35 AM
Just last week I was listening SJPD dealing with a crime spree. 4 guys were driving around east and central San Jose robbing people at gun point. The next night they stabbed a man to take his beer and tool bag.

The scanner is great entertainment, but sometimes you see how crappy your neighborhood is.

Untamed1972
10-14-2011, 7:54 AM
This isn't not crime related, but back in the early 90's my brother was a voluteer firefighter, so he had his pager/scanner at home and on all the time. We were both still living at home at the time.

About 5 or 5:30am one morning, it was a weekend, a Sunday I think, I hear the pager go off for plane crash near by. Later that day, watching the news, come to find out it was the private jet that was carrying Reba McEntire's band and had slammed into the side of a mountain in heavy fog and clouds. Killed everyone on board and nothing but peices left of the plane.

osokne
10-24-2011, 3:49 PM
Fire Dept just arrived on scene... They reported to dispatch that there was a "light haze inside the hallway and the odor of burnt smoke".

Burnt smoke?

Soldier415
10-24-2011, 4:22 PM
Up here in NV last month a guy was shooting a .300 Weatherby Mag when apparently he pulled the trigger on a double charged round. Blew the bolt out of the back of the gun, striking him in the throat and tearing up his hand/face pretty good.

CnCFunFactory
10-24-2011, 4:42 PM
Alright you're all under citizens arrest..... :43::rofl2:

SECTION 705 OF THE COMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 1934, AS AMENDED
BY THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 1996 (47 U.S.C. 605)
1 18 U.S.C. 2511(2) authorizes certain interception of communications by communications common carriers and by the Federal Communications Commission. Also, electronic
surveillance for foreign intelligence purposes is addressed in Pub. Law No. 95-511, 92
Stat. 1783 (see 102(a)(4) and 105(f)(2)(C)), Oct. 25, 1978.
(a) Except as authorized by chapter 119, title 18, United States Code,1 no person
receiving, assisting in receiving, transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or
foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge or publish the existence, contents,
substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof, except through authorized channels of
transmission or reception, (1) to any person other than the addressee, his agent, or
attorney, (2) to a person employed or authorized to forward such communication to its
destination, (3) to proper accounting or distributing officers of the various communicating
centers over which the communication may be passed, (4) to the master of a ship under
whom he is serving, (5) in response to a subpoena issued by a court of competent
jurisdiction, or (6) on demand of other lawful authority. No person not being authorized by
the sender shall intercept any radio communication and divulge or publish the existence,
contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such intercepted communication to any
person. No person not being entitled thereto shall receive or assist in receiving any
interstate or foreign communication by radio and use such communication (or any
information therein contained) for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled
thereto. No person having received any intercepted radio communication or having
become acquainted with the contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such
communication (or any part thereof) knowing that such communication was intercepted,
shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of
such communication (or any part thereof) or use such communication (or any information
therein contained) for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto. This
section shall not apply to the receiving, divulging, publishing, or utilizing the contents of
any radio communication which is transmitted by any station for the use of the general
public, which relates to ships, aircraft, vehicles, or persons in distress, or which is
transmitted by an amateur radio station operator or by a citizens band radio operator.

12gauge12
10-24-2011, 8:30 PM
I was listening to the scanner at work. All of a sudden I hear a 911 medical call come accross the radio. It was for a guy who got his hand stuck in a saw at one of my companies buildings! He ended up losing half a ring finger and removed safety's on the band saw.

Sespe
10-25-2011, 4:27 PM
I hate listening to myself. Some of you probably have stories about me. "On scene, 7 Corvair's well involved..."

Ross
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
What kind of scanner is best for San Diego?

Trunking or??

GlockBlocker
10-26-2011, 1:04 PM
Ross, check this out: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=219

So yes, trunking for a lot of the services. This looks like the main trunk system: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499

Some of the higher end scanners let you import the setup from Radioreference.

Databyter
10-26-2011, 1:05 PM
When I used to live in the back Country and was a volunteer firefighter as well I was well hooked up in my vehicles with uhf and vhf tranceivers and a scanner as well.

A lot of our fire and accident calls used to come from the Border Patrol and my Capt. and I used to arrive at the Firehouse (or on scene in vehicles for some calls) before our dispatcher had recieved them.

In fact the local BP knew we monitored and would communicate with us directly on their local channel sometimes with our own call sign.

At any rate, the most interesting things I've heard on a scanner was surveillance of myself as I went around doing my various jobs, some of which took me to every corner of the County and down quite a few dirt roads near the border. but usually in my private vehicle which was "suspicious" simply by virtue of the fact that it was there.

It's kind of weird hearing your every move broadcast as you negotiate some back road or are off road.

osokne
10-26-2011, 9:41 PM
Came through on my local city PD dispatch freq, this afternoon. 10 year old boy called 911, to report that his father had hit him. The call was quickly terminated, from the callers end. A moment later, the father called back to 911 to report that he had simply disciplined his child and there was no need for the police.

You can't make this stuff up.