PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun = long guns?

redking
10-11-2011, 8:45 AM
Just wondering how in debt I should go before 2012 hits

Planning on getting an AR lower, AK-47, Mossberg 500

Just want to make sure shotguns and "rifles" are the same thing in cali.

thanks

Bhobbs
10-11-2011, 8:45 AM
Shot guns and rifles are not the same thing but they are both considered long guns.

redking
10-11-2011, 8:52 AM
Shot guns and rifles are not the same thing but they are both considered long guns.

I meant in politician/Lawyer/Judge/Law enforcement's blind blind eyes :cool2:

but thanks for clarifying, looks like my debt ceiling was just raised.

McCrown
10-11-2011, 9:00 AM
Double post, curse thee iPhone!

McCrown
10-11-2011, 9:00 AM
Law goes into effect 2014, so you have some time before you make yourself too broke. But I agree the sooner the better, right? So many toys so little time.

redking
10-11-2011, 9:02 AM
Law goes into effect 2014, so you have some time before you make yourself too broke. But I agree the walker the better, right? So many toys so little time.

The walker the better?

I heard it was January 2012

But I guess that is just the UOC?

McCrown
10-11-2011, 9:08 AM
That was an auto correct, meant "the sooner the better" to acquire more.

See for dates: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7301715#post7301715

a1c
10-11-2011, 9:11 AM
And the FUD is on.

And the price jacking will soon follow.

bwiese
10-11-2011, 9:42 AM
I'm puzzled why you think you have to act before a certain date (2014, not 2012).

I see a lot of panic by the naieve.

Yes, long guns are currently not registered.

But there's a 4473 with your name in it at the FFL anyway.

And you're probably a gun magazine subscriber, buy parts from Midway, or visit local indoor ranges - or exhibit other trackable retail gun/sporting conduct from which info is readily inferrable from various marketing databases.

I may not know which gun(s) exactly you have, but for $50-$100 I sure as hell can have a 90+% confidence level that you do own guns. I might even be able to figure out if you have a mix of handguns vs long guns and an idea of calibers.

Bhobbs
10-11-2011, 9:45 AM
I'm puzzled why you think you have to act before a certain date (2014, not 2012).

And you're probably a gun magazine subscriber, buy parts from Midway, or visit local indoor ranges - or exhibit other trackable retail gun/sporting conduct from which info is readily inferrable from various marketing databases.

I may not know which gun(s) exactly you have, but for $50-$100 I sure as hell can have a 90+% confidence level that you do own guns. I might even be able to figure out if you have a mix of handguns vs long guns and an idea of calibers.

I agree with this. Registration pisses me off but I know people can easily find out that I own firearms if they wanted to.

Ubermcoupe
10-11-2011, 9:53 AM
Thats why I buy in only cash... :TFH: :willy_nilly:

Just kidding. You are right bill, and I sure hope many do not freak out and start jacking up $$$. :(

redking
10-11-2011, 10:17 AM

I've never purchased a fire arm up until a few weeks ago...

I have, however, purchased many parts, accessories, and even ammunition for friends, family members, and myself to use in their guns.

Not to admit to any straw purchasing of anything related to evil WMD's

dantodd
10-11-2011, 11:14 AM
The ridiculous registration bill is really the least of the bad bills signed. Thankfully Brown vetoed the ammunition bill which was the worst. Unfortunately he signed the second worst which was the DROS fee repurposing.

I think the DROS bill is actually unconstitutional. A fee for exercising a fundamental right should only be a cost recovery fee. Imagine a jacking up the price of "parade permits" to include the enforcement of all litter control or noise abatement in a city/county. I don't believe that you can have secondary effects (particularly unproven ones) being paid for by a fee on a fundamental right.

zhyla
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Registration is annoying, but it hasn't kept us from buying pistols, has it?

bruss01
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Registration is annoying, but it hasn't kept us from buying pistols, has it?

Interesting slant on that...

A few years back a certain model of Walther pistol was sold. These, of course, were all duly registered along with make and model. Weeellll... some time later, the DOJ declared these pistols to be "Assault weapons" because they had threaded barrels. They knew exactly who had those pistols. There was heat put on those owners because of that.

The same thing could happen with long guns. In a few years, they could declare any semi-auto rifle to be an "assault weapon" - now, granted, the current legal climate seems to be going in our direction, but it wasn't that way in the not too distant past and it could easily be that way again in the future. They will know exactly who has what, in a centralized, searchable database. Not just that you are a gun owner of *some* kind of gun, but explicitly that you are the owner of a NOW banned firearm and need to be arrested pronto and your guns taken.

Do I think that will happen? Right now, it seems unlikely. But is there historical precedent for gun registration leading to confiscation or prosecution? Any student of gun history will agree that there is. I'm really sorry to see this happen here.

Bruce
10-11-2011, 1:06 PM
The walker the better?

I heard it was January 2012

But I guess that is just the UOC?

I heard Jerry Brown was pro-2A. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you hear. :rolleyes:

redking
10-11-2011, 2:49 PM
The ridiculous registration bill is really the least of the bad bills signed. Thankfully Brown vetoed the ammunition bill which was the worst. Unfortunately he signed the second worst which was the DROS fee repurposing.

I think the DROS bill is actually unconstitutional. A fee for exercising a fundamental right should only be a cost recovery fee. Imagine a jacking up the price of "parade permits" to include the enforcement of all litter control or noise abatement in a city/county. I don't believe that you can have secondary effects (particularly unproven ones) being paid for by a fee on a fundamental right.

In order to plead the fifth there is a 1million dollar mandatory fee :facepalm: