PDA

View Full Version : Question in regards to Split Residency and CCW permits

Fiveohmike
10-11-2011, 8:14 AM
Hey Guys,

As my job is changing roles it appears more and more that I will have split residency between two counties. Namely Alameda and Shasta counties.

I will most likely be in Shasta county 7-10 months out of the year and back in Alameda country for the remaining. I will have a physical residency in both counties.

In terms of registration of firearms, possibility of CCW permit (as I know its granted much more frequently in Shasta), among other things (smog for cars ect), is there any resources that you can point me too for this?

How do I prove majority residency in a county? If I have split residency in two counties, do I have to apply for CCW in both counties? Is the CCW only applicable to Shasta county if received there?

I am just looking for research into this, as this will start in February.

Thanks,

Mike

ubet
10-11-2011, 8:36 AM
I am in a similar situation as you.

If you keep your voting and car registration, car insurance and everything in Alameda, Shasta will probably tell you to apply down there. Its all about where everything in your name is registered. If you register to vote, your vehicle, change your address and pay rent in Shasta, you are a resident of Shasta, get my drift?

J.D.Allen
10-11-2011, 8:38 AM
I may be wrong, and if so I'm sure I will be corrected shortly, but I believe that while you are residing in Shasta county you apply there. If granted I believe your LTC is good statewide.

The only hitch I can see possibly being an issue is that I seem to remember somewhere that if you move out of county aren't you supposed to notify the sheriff of the new county that you have a LTC? If you are residing in a new county, even for a few months, then you are at that time a resident of that county. I wonder if the sheriff in the new county might not revoke the license.

Now that I think about it it's an interesting conundrum...:facepalm:

wildhawker
10-11-2011, 8:44 AM
There's no such thing as "split residency" under the penal code. It appears that you will reside in Shasta for the purposes of PC 12050/26150. Let us know if you have any problems with your application.

The license you receive, unless specifically restricted, is a statewide license. You may only have one LTC at a time. A requirement for proof of residency is, we believe, unlawful under the Code; however, should it be required, it is generally along the lines of mail or vehicle registration.

For more info, see: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/blog/entry/on-the-heels-of-ab-144-cgf-publishes-2011-statewide-carry-license-stats.html

See also: www.gotcarry.org

-Brandon

Hey Guys,

As my job is changing roles it appears more and more that I will have split residency between two counties. Namely Alameda and Shasta counties.

I will most likely be in Shasta county 7-10 months out of the year and back in Alameda country for the remaining. I will have a physical residency in both counties.

In terms of registration of firearms, possibility of CCW permit (as I know its granted much more frequently in Shasta), among other things (smog for cars ect), is there any resources that you can point me too for this?

How do I prove majority residency in a county? If I have split residency in two counties, do I have to apply for CCW in both counties? Is the CCW only applicable to Shasta county if received there?

I am just looking for research into this, as this will start in February.

Thanks,

Mike

wildhawker
10-11-2011, 8:46 AM
I don't read the OP as "moving" from Shasta to Alameda, but simply working away from home for longer than he'd like...

-Brandon

I may be wrong, and if so I'm sure I will be corrected shortly, but I believe that while you are residing in Shasta county you apply there. If granted I believe your LTC is good statewide.

The only hitch I can see possibly being an issue is that I seem to remember somewhere that if you move out of county aren't you supposed to notify the sheriff of the new county that you have a LTC? If you are residing in a new county, even for a few months, then you are at that time a resident of that county. I wonder if the sheriff in the new county might not revoke the license.

Now that I think about it it's an interesting conundrum...:facepalm:

redking
10-11-2011, 8:51 AM
Whatever you do, don't tell them you're Jewish at any "safety" stops along the highway.

J.D.Allen
10-11-2011, 8:58 AM
I don't read the OP as "moving" from Shasta to Alameda, but simply working away from home for longer than he'd like...

-Brandon

I like the way you worded it better. But then...I usually do.

Fiveohmike
10-11-2011, 9:41 AM
Hey Guys,

Yes, i would fully be "moving" in the sense that I will have car registration, address, ect in Shasta, so when in Alameda county I would be working from home longer then I like :)

So once I get fully situated I will go through the steps to apply for my CCW in that county. From there I will research all applicable laws in regards to this as I want to be in full compliance.

I thought I would be happy in terms of the CCW, but it actually makes me angry that this is what it takes for me to exercise my constitutional right to reasonably defend myself and my family in this day and age.

Time to donate more to CGF.

Thanks,

Mike