PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed Shoot - Corona, Oct 15-16th, 2011

ironpete
10-11-2011, 8:43 AM
Posterity: Hey ya. What you up to next weekend?
You: I dunno
Posterity: Why don't you try something new?
You: Like what?
Posterity: Learn some American history
You: I think I gotta wash my drapes...
Posterity: Oh yeah...and learn how to shoot a quarter at 25 yards with your eyes closed.
You: !?!

Project Appleseed = Rifle marksmanship and American history

If the very large Corona210 was not your cup of tea then try one of our monthly shooting clinics.

Register here: Corona - Oct 15-16th, 2011 (http://www.eventbrite.com/event/983625049%20%20%20%20%20)
Coupons and ROCs are only good if you pre-register.

Click here (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17839.0) for more information.

Weather forecast for weekend is in the low 80s!?!

If you have any questions contact me!
MrPete@AppleseedCalifornia.org
call: 714 390-3043
-Pete

ejhc11
10-12-2011, 3:46 PM
Hi Pete,

Are 22LR bolt rifles allowed? I have a Winchester 22LR Wildcat rifle, bolt action and it has three 10 round mags. I'm asking only because I don't have sling swivels on the Ruger 10/22 yet. Also, optics are ok correct?

I would love to attend an Appleseed event if not this weekend then some near future ones when I get all my gear.

Thanks.

ironpete
10-12-2011, 4:49 PM
ejhc11,

We're all about teaching you how to get the most from yourself and your equipment. Bolt, semi-auto, scoped or iron sights we'll run what ya brung. Your Winchester Wildcat (the imported TOZ right?) is an excellent rifle and I've had people shoot really well with them. You'll need at least two magazines for whatever you shoot.

I actually have some loaner slings and swivels if you have the studs on your 10/22. I also usually have some slings, swivels and studs available for purchase.

I say bring it all and we'll sort all that out when we get there.

If I could offer any advice, it would be to not wait on equipment. I waited and assembled all the recommended equipment so that I could go and shoot like a champ when I first showed up. What I didn't know is that I didn't know what I was doing. Once you start to understand marksmanship from our perspective you'll develop skills and preferences around how you can maximize your shooting potential. Until you understand what you need just jump in the water! I encourage all shooters to ask for loaners and try different equipment to see what they like and what works best for them. I'll try to bring a couple of different rifles for people to try out.

Oh yeah, we have a couple of things to help with costs:
1) Be sure to use the coupon code (NWC21010) for $10 off our registration fee (range fees not included).
2) We also offer the Rifleman's Opportunity Card (ROC). We so badly want to teach everybody how to shoot well that if you purchase a membership to our organization ($20) we'll waive our instruction fee (range fees not included) at any Appleseed shoot across the nation for a year or until you shoot an Expert score on the Army Qualification Test (AQT). Just keep coming back and practicing until you have the skills down!

If you have any questions please let me know.

-Peter

Hi Pete,

Are 22LR bolt rifles allowed? I have a Winchester 22LR Wildcat rifle, bolt action and it has three 10 round mags. I'm asking only because I don't have sling swivels on the Ruger 10/22 yet. Also, optics are ok correct?

I would love to attend an Appleseed event if not this weekend then some near future ones when I get all my gear.

Thanks.

ejhc11
10-12-2011, 5:40 PM
Thanks Pete,

Don't I at least need a shooting mat of some sort too? Yes, you are right the Winchester is a Russian Toz, I can usually hit the a regular target paster at 50yds with my scope w/bulk Federal ammo. I think the sitting and the prone positions should be less of a problem, standing freehand will be a lot tougher for me.

Eljay
10-12-2011, 9:06 PM
There's a lot to be said for hitting the local Home Depot, hitting the carpet section, and there should be some kind of bin of pre-cut left over carpet bits. You can get a 4x6 chunk for a few bucks. I actually use that for Appleseed even though I have a decent Midway shooting mat - it's thicker which is nice when you'll be dropping down onto it all day long, and the extra space is nice too.

ironpete
10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
^^^ Excellent suggestion!

I've had people tough it out with bare elbows on rocks...I'm not that tough. Carpet remnants are great. I've got some midway mats and they (esp the black vinyl parts) get stick to your skin hot in the sun. Carpet on the other hand does not.

I'm not sure if I'll have any portable shade with me at the event so if you need things for your own comfort drag it along.

-Peter

There's a lot to be said for hitting the local Home Depot, hitting the carpet section, and there should be some kind of bin of pre-cut left over carpet bits. You can get a 4x6 chunk for a few bucks. I actually use that for Appleseed even though I have a decent Midway shooting mat - it's thicker which is nice when you'll be dropping down onto it all day long, and the extra space is nice too.

ejhc11
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the carpet tip Eljay, otherwise I be looking at one of those fancy shooting mats....
Also, IronPete to be an ROC member I will need to pay the $70 two day fee plus the $20 RWVA membership correct? Thanks.

ironpete
10-13-2011, 2:18 PM
For ROC cards it just needs to be a paid weekend. The discounted $60 ($70 - $10 coupon) counts for a paid weekend. You can either show me your membership receipt at the shoot or you can pay for the membership at the shoot.

-Peter

Thanks for the carpet tip Eljay, otherwise I be looking at one of those fancy shooting mats....
Also, IronPete to be an ROC member I will need to pay the $70 two day fee plus the $20 RWVA membership correct? Thanks.

ejhc11
10-13-2011, 8:09 PM
Got it Pete, I'm not planning this weekend's Appleseed but will definitely be at the Nov one in Corona. Should I buy RWVA membership from your Corona link or directly from the Appleseedinfo.org website? Thanks.

ironpete
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Our door is always open...

I recommend doing it at the shoot, but it can be done either way.

-Peter

Got it Pete, I'm not planning this weekend's Appleseed but will definitely be at the Nov one in Corona. Should I buy RWVA membership from your Corona link or directly from the Appleseedinfo.org website? Thanks.

ejhc11
10-14-2011, 5:05 AM
I'll take your recommendation and see you there in Nov. This is a 25m event both days right and not 25yds?

Thanks - I also registered to the Appleseed forum, the last part trying to answer the riddles to register was super difficult (five tries before gettin it right!)- I'm hoping the shooting will be easier than that! :)

ironpete
10-19-2011, 1:27 AM
After Action Report with pics here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=25678.0

If anybody forgot ROCs or CMP forms please PM me!

See ya on the Appleseed Trail!
-Peter