PDA

View Full Version : pre ban question!!

jevonniespapi
02-09-2007, 5:50 AM
I found on this site, that "pre-ban" AR15 models are being sold.

Can these rifles be regestered in CA?

Im such a newbie when it comes to this subject, though Im learning....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=526151

I know that people do have regestered AWs in CA... but how could I get one?

I REALLY dont want to remove the pistol grip and bolt in the mag.... thats not how this weapon was designed....

If I could get one, I want to..

taquito971
02-09-2007, 5:57 AM
You will have to remove the pistol grip (and flash hider, and any other evil features) to keep the detachable magazine, or pin a 10 round magazine and keep the evil features. Pre-ban doesn't mean anything in this state.

Brian

Fjold
02-09-2007, 6:10 AM
There is no open registration for assault weapons for non-leo/ non-military personnel.

SemiAutoSam
02-09-2007, 6:47 AM
Pre ban is a dead term for both the US as a country and California.

Preban means or meant pre 1994 the 1994 AW ban sunseted in 2004.

Hence it means nothing in the federal jurisdiction and also in California is a non issue.

TO have a AR15 here Non listed weapon is no problem You either Pin the mag or run with no Pistol Griip and you can run detachable mags.

Keep in mind detachable mag will not always mean what what it sounds like.

in law things are always defined. If its not defined then it might have a standard everyday meaning.

WilsonCQB
02-09-2007, 7:12 AM
The original "Pre-Ban" refered to guns imported before the 1989 gun ban. Example: The Polytech AK-47 - doesn't need any U.S. made compliance parts to comply with 922r because it was imported before the ban.

veeklog
02-09-2007, 7:23 AM
I found on this site, that "pre-ban" AR15 models are being sold.

Can these rifles be regestered in CA?

Im such a newbie when it comes to this subject, though Im learning....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=526151

I know that people do have regestered AWs in CA... but how could I get one?

I REALLY dont want to remove the pistol grip and bolt in the mag.... thats not how this weapon was designed....

If I could get one, I want to..

Pretty much everyone summed it up well.

Pre-ban in the Federal term is a moot term. After the Crime Bill sunseted on September 14, 2004, manufactures could make and produce weapons with features prior such as flash suppessors, collapseable stocks, and bayonet lugs. Also, manufacturers could now make and offer hi-capacity magazines to the general public (this is why you could purchase hi-cap magazines in other states with LE markings).

In California, pre-ban and post-ban mean nothing thanks to SB-23. In late 1999, the California legistature, like snakes that they are, decided to enact the law that prohibits the sale of AR-15 and AK-47 type rifles by BRAND name only. Californians had a open period to register these weapons and had to pay $25 USD to the state in order to own these weapons. Plus, we could only transport the weapons to the range and back, and had to only be sent to a a/w certified dealer for repair. In other words, in the states mind, we could have our "evil" guns with all the features, but could not use them. Our registered a/w's had become "safe queens."

Them a few months ago I discovered OLL's, and all was good in life. You can have all the evil features that you want except it has to be a fixed 10 round magazine, or if you have a detachable magazine, you have to not have a pistol grip, flashhider, or collapseable stock. I can now go out and shoot my rifle in the desert w/o fear of being hassled. Sure, it might take a little longer to load my OLL's with a attachable 10 round magazine, but it shoots the same as a regular AR. I have finished two, thanks to the good people on this board, and my third will have a Monsterman Grip.

Plus there are several case in the U.S. and one here in Cali that will test the limit of gun laws. 2nd Amendment Court cases are easy decisions for the Supreme Court because they do not want to mess with issues addressed by our founding fathers.

Has no law maker has ever realized that the right to bear arms arms is second only to the right to free speach? Food for thought to all the knee-jerk politicans (both Democrats and Republicans) out there waving the American flag

ocabj
02-09-2007, 7:27 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=48510

jevonniespapi
02-09-2007, 4:03 PM
Thanks everyone.... I was born and raised in CA. Joined the Army, but I dont think Ill come back there... I cant even have an AR the way I want it.

Thanks again!

Matt C
02-09-2007, 4:13 PM
Although in some places, like NY, they still go by "preban".