PDA

View Full Version : What do you all feed your AK47?

cyrus
10-11-2011, 12:57 AM
What do you all feed your AK47? I found wolf ammo is popular but is that it?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-11-2011, 1:00 AM
Any former Comblock steel cased ammo will do, whatever is cheapest at the time. It's what they were designed to run on. Take careful note whether the ammo you're running is corrosive or not and adjust your cleaning regimen (yes, even AKs should be cleaned!) to suit.

kemikalembalance
10-11-2011, 1:12 AM
feed it some taliban soup. should eat real well. and for a snack, +1 for above. but if you wanna go nicer, check out ammo2go.com. last i saw, they had some decent brass stuff for a good price. and i think walmart is stocking some remmy,too.

big103
10-11-2011, 1:14 AM
What ever is the cheapest. Even if the ammo looks like its been draged in the mud alowed to rust and the bullet is crooked in the case.

Its an ak it works with anything.

bob7122
10-11-2011, 1:23 AM
brown bear, fiochii, mfs

Speedpower
10-11-2011, 1:28 AM
Yugoslavian Surplus ammo.

the_t0ny
10-11-2011, 1:35 AM
I've fed my SAR-1 everything and it shot just fine. Egyptian surplus, yugo surplus, brown bear, wolf, tula ammo, PMC bronze, WPA, Wolf Military classic, and the expensive fiocchi brass ammo all shot flawless out of my AK. I zero'd my iron sights at 50 yards with some brown bear and with any ammo I shoot out of it, it will impact pretty much within the same area(chest size target). Bottom line is, just shoot whatever you can get dirt cheap and you'll be fine.

HK4113
10-11-2011, 1:44 AM
anything

mydogsmonkey
10-11-2011, 1:46 AM
cheapest sh*t i can find

WTSGDYBBR
10-11-2011, 1:49 AM
Yugoslavian Surplus ammo but its not cheap.

cyrus
10-11-2011, 2:07 AM
Well I am getting a CZ527 bolt action and I wanted to find something that is non corrosive and shoots straight.

skanless
10-11-2011, 2:11 AM
Wolf, golden tiger, bear all work.... you can feed it anything and its good to go.

h0use
10-11-2011, 2:27 AM
Mine wil eat anything I give it! It likes those big spam cans!

h0use
10-11-2011, 2:27 AM
Mine wil eat anything I give it! It likes those big spam cans!

Rekrab
10-11-2011, 2:40 AM
During fire season or at restricted ranges, I use Yugo surplus. When I can use magnetic I use Wolf or Tula. I like the Wolf a lot better though.

MrPlink
10-11-2011, 3:42 AM
the souls of orphaned children..

er... I meant Yugo. Great stuff! When I can find it anyways, otherwise it is whatever is cheapest.

tonelar
10-11-2011, 5:17 AM
Wolf

jgraham15
10-11-2011, 5:20 AM
Well I am getting a CZ527 bolt action and I wanted to find something that is non corrosive and shoots straight.

Good luck getting this question answered! :D

I'd give you an answer but I haven't got anything that shoots 7.62x39.

Mail Clerk
10-11-2011, 6:28 AM

cyrus,

I feed mine using the cheapest non-corrosive and non-steel ammo I can afford/find. My range (Angeles) doesn't allow any steel at all.

Mail Clerk

Full Clip
10-11-2011, 6:34 AM

For that I'd splurge and get some UMC or Fiocchi.
But then again, I reload x39 for my AR cause I want it to hit things I aim at...

Panchira!
10-11-2011, 6:52 AM
Steak and potato and it's full...

Anything- rem, uly, wolf, Winchester. That's all I have shot so far rem and win seem to have a bit more qc issues then the other 2 IMHO

ZX-10R
10-11-2011, 7:40 AM
I have 3 cases of Yugo ammo and a 1k of Wolf and assorments...Anything it wants or what I feel like shooting that day.

0351USMC
10-11-2011, 7:49 AM
anything ,but Yugo Corrosive ammo

ns3v3n
10-11-2011, 9:16 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=486931

This is the cheapest atm, around .20 a round, includes shipping, only thing is that they are corrosive. Some people like to shoot the non corrosive stuff so they dont have to clean their AKs afterwards. I did that for my first 1500 rounds, now i'm thinking about getting these for cheaper prices.

bloodhawke83
10-11-2011, 9:19 AM
whatever, it eats like a dog.

tujungatoes
10-11-2011, 9:59 AM

What's your intended use for this rifle? Target shooting? Hunting?...General blasting and havoc making?

That rifle is going to be a bit more precise(and possibly picky) than an ak, and if your intent is to be as accurate as possible then handloading is going to be the way to go. If you're going to hunt, there are some decent softpoint loads on the market, and once again hand loading is the best option.

If you're just blasting..,,I hate to say it but there are probably better choices you could have made in rifles. Have you already purchased the rife, or is this just something you're considering?

pacifico23
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Do they allow Yugo Surplus over at Angeles? Im getting my saiga converted this weekend.

stormy_clothing
10-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I feed the G.O.A.T. trash mostly and like a champion it performs regardless.

hellraiser
10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Wolf mostly... Picked up some Tula at the last show to see how that does... Some people say it's actually the same stuff idk...

Mamluke
10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
High protein Camel milk.. :D

Wolf, Golden Bear, Fiochii are re-loadable & good for the range...
Corrosive ammo is cheap, but plan on extensive cleanup regiment right after you shoot!

I have a question, do you AK guys lubricate the barrel? If so, what oil is recommended? Hope not to hijack the thread!:BRB:

spits55
10-11-2011, 10:41 AM

:thumbsup:

tujungatoes
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Do they allow Yugo Surplus over at Angeles? Im getting my saiga converted this weekend.

Yup!:)

I have a question, do you AK guys lubricate the barrel? If so, what oil is recommended? Hope not to hijack the thread!

Lubricate, no. Oil to protect, yes. I always run an oiled patch down the barrel when I'm done cleaning regardless. Probably not necessary, but it's just a habit.

Farva
10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Whatever piece of crap steel ammo I find on sale.

zfields
10-11-2011, 1:01 PM
Herters, also known as the white box Uly found at walmart. Cleanest Ive found, and 99% of the time cheapest around. Always goes bang, and consistent felt recoil makes me feel warm inside that they are all relatively close in charge weight.

Golden tiger is my "match" ammo, but I doubt its anymore accurate, just makes me feel better spending a little more per box.

My HD stuff in my extra mags in the big ole bag o stuff, is Herters Softpoints / silver bear softpoints.

zfields
10-11-2011, 1:03 PM
High protein Camel milk.. :D

Wolf, Golden Bear, Fiochii are re-loadable & good for the range...
Corrosive ammo is cheap, but plan on extensive cleanup regiment right after you shoot!

I have a question, do you AK guys lubricate the barrel? If so, what oil is recommended? Hope not to hijack the thread!:BRB:

Since when are wolf or golden bear reloadable? in 762x39 thought they were both still brendan primed, and golden bear just brass washed steel casings? No offence, but not a chance in hell are steel casings touching my resizing dies.

exception being wolf gold, which Im not even sure they make in 762x39

tujungatoes
10-11-2011, 1:40 PM
Poorly formed sentence. I believe he was referring to the fiochii, which is brass cased and boxer primed. I've loaded quite a few of those.

zfields
10-11-2011, 1:44 PM
Poorly formed sentence. I believe he was referring to the fiochii, which is brass cased and boxer primed. I've loaded quite a few of those.

Makes more sense.

cyrus
10-11-2011, 2:00 PM
Ok after some more R&D people say WOLF 154 GR is the BOMB. Where can I get the best shipped price for 1000 rounds or so?

Mamluke
10-11-2011, 2:18 PM
Since when are wolf or golden bear reloadable? in 762x39 thought they were both still brendan primed, and golden bear just brass washed steel casings? No offence, but not a chance in hell are steel casings touching my resizing dies.

exception being wolf gold, which Im not even sure they make in
762x39

No bro, the Fiochii's ARE re-loadable; not the others....maybe I did not emphasize that in my sentence!

PhoPoweR
10-11-2011, 2:19 PM
Tula ammo

zfields
10-11-2011, 2:21 PM
No bro, the Fiochii's ARE re-loadable; not the others....maybe I did not emphasize that in my sentence!

thats why i didnt say anything about fiochi : P

Understood, just wanted to be sure something didnt change!

Richard Erichsen
10-11-2011, 2:36 PM

Wolf doesn't make anything, mostly that's Tula ammo. Lots of the Russian ammo is just rebadged from any of four manufacturers.

Anything and everything in 7.62x39 will do (at least for plinking, I wouldn't hunt with it). Surplus M43 and M67 FMJ from any of a dozen countries, domestic (Winchester in particular makes a good M67-like loading) or newly manufactured foreign (mostly Serbian) hollow point, soft point and fancier domestic frangible rounds like Hornady Vmax and SST. Pretty much anything that will fire when struck will be given an opportunity for glory being fired in the AK. Most of us will even give an ugly looking surplus round that failed to fire the first or second time yet another try. ;)

R

Richard Erichsen
10-11-2011, 2:48 PM
brown bear, fiochii, mfs

Fiocchi is my third favorite general purpose ammo. Clean burning propellants, consistent quality, good brass boxer primed. There isn't a lot of variety, it's a basic M67 clone. Sometimes the Privi Partizan is cheaper, sometimes the Fioochi is cheaper, both are great. I think MFS is Hungarian, I bought a 20 round box to try it but haven't shot it enough to form an opinion and didn't chronograph it to check consistency. It was subjectively about as good as Tula. It certainly didn't fail and the groups on my Saiga at 50 yards looked about the same.

The Russian manufacturers from a list I bookmarked are:

Ulyanovsk
Barnaul
Vympel
Tula Cartridge Works (imported as Wolf and now Tula)

Newly manufactured Russian ammo tends to be a bit cheaper than the others, but how long it stays that way is unknown.

R

Richard Erichsen
10-11-2011, 2:52 PM

Or modern Serbian Privi Partizan (PPU) - both are great. My last crate of Yugo surplus came with a rotting wood crate still moist to the touch, but the ammo sealed inside looked like it was made months ago, rather than close to 40 years ago.

R

zfields
10-11-2011, 2:52 PM
R, the box of MFS softpoints I have are russian, looks like silver bear headstamping.

tokarev_tt
10-11-2011, 3:19 PM
Cheap russian ammo works good for me.Yugo surplus is fine too,but corrosive,i still use it though and it works great.Just remember to clean your rifle within 12 hours after the shooting session.

Bigtwin
10-11-2011, 8:46 PM
Well that all depends! I do not own an AK47. I do however have a Saiga restored to an AK patern rifle. It eats anything I feed it without problem. FMJ , soft point, HP, no issues at all. Wolf, Barnaul(bear), PMC, Winchester, S&B, Reloads, ECT!

I have however made it a point to shoot all the Wolf ammo I have and not to buy it again. It is not bad ammo but I have found my rifle gets better groups with Barnaul(bear) ammo, by about a 1/4-1/2"@50-100yds. That is just my rifle though.

The worst acuracy I recieved was from PMC and Winchester ammo. I shot that only for the brass though. That acuracy problem may have been because I dialed my scope in for the wolf then the Barnaul. That may have been an issue, not sure.

zfields
10-11-2011, 8:49 PM
Well that all depends! I do not own an AK47. I do however have a Saiga restored to an AK patern rifle. It eats anything I feed it without problem. FMJ , soft point, HP, no issues at all. Wolf, Barnaul(bear), PMC, Winchester, S&B, Reloads, ECT!

I have however made it a point to shoot all the Wolf ammo I have and not to buy it again. It is not bad ammo but I have found my rifle gets better groups with Barnaul(bear) ammo, by about a 1/4-1/2"@50-100yds. That is just my rifle though.

The worst acuracy I recieved was from PMC and Winchester ammo. I shot that only for the brass though. That acuracy problem may have been because I dialed my scope in for the wolf then the Barnaul. That may have been an issue, not sure.

Was the winchester significantly hotter ammo? Ive only shot 2 boxes worth of it, just not worth the cost.

BroncoBob
10-11-2011, 9:05 PM
What ever is cheap, it does not care

Richard Erichsen
10-13-2011, 8:25 AM
Cheap russian ammo works good for me.Yugo surplus is fine too,but corrosive,i still use it though and it works great.Just remember to clean your rifle within 12 hours after the shooting session.

For the average Californian (or Desert SW dweller in general), our 10% average humidity isn't enough in combination with the corrosive salts from the primer compound to do much harm. A quick swish with a water hose through the gas block/gas tube and barrel, or windex or just regular cleaning with solvents will get that stuff out in a jiff.

If this were East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, it would be essential to get that stuff out the same day. Yugo isn't "that" corrosive, but the less folks use the more that will be left for me to buy in the coming years. ;)

R

zfields
10-13-2011, 8:43 AM
For the average Californian (or Desert SW dweller in general), our 10% average humidity isn't enough in combination with the corrosive salts from the primer compound to do much harm. A quick swish with a water hose through the gas block/gas tube and barrel, or windex or just regular cleaning with solvents will get that stuff out in a jiff.

If this were East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, it would be essential to get that stuff out the same day. Yugo isn't "that" corrosive, but the less folks use the more that will be left for me to buy in the coming years. ;)

R

You can keep that Yugo surplus, I like my nasty steel cased stuff : )

I just can't bare shooting brass that isnt reloadable (easily)