PDA

View Full Version : Which Defensive ammo for Glock CCW?

sava
10-10-2011, 10:55 PM
So I have been reading up on what different guys are using for their ammo with their CCW pistols. My research is inconclusive, and downright confusing:confused:. It seems like most people are using vastly different ammunition:facepalm:.

Now I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 23 as my main carry pistols. Instead of buying all the different brands and then testing them, I am trying to save myself some time and money by narrowing it down to 2 or 3 different brands:43:.

You guys that have G19 9mm and G23 40s&w Glocks, which brand of defensive ammo runs the best in your pistols. Why did you choose brand x over brand y?

JeremyS
10-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Read the documents, watch the videos. Keep in mind this is coming from Federal and Speer so they are in all of the tests with the HST and Gold Dot. Other ammo is in the tests as well if it was brought to the test by the police department in question -- and most of the tests do involve another brand.

http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

...I use HST...

G-forceJunkie
10-10-2011, 10:59 PM
My research is inconclusive, and downright confusing:confused:. It seems like most people are using vastly different ammunition:facepalm:.

They are, because it really doesn't matter. With all the technology thats gone into todays HP bullets, you are really splitting hairs trying to call one better than the other. Your skills and training at 99% of the equation, your bullet choice, less than 1%. Thats my opinion, I could be wrong.

Brian2217
10-10-2011, 11:15 PM
I keep it real simple. I carry what the local LEO's carry which is Gold Dot. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

sava
10-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Read the documents, watch the videos. Keep in mind this is coming from Federal and Speer so they are in all of the tests with the HST and Gold Dot. Other ammo is in the tests as well if it was brought to the test by the police department in question -- and most of the tests do involve another brand.

http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

...I use HST...

Wow! Thanks for the great link. There is a lot of good information there!

Seems like the Federal HST 180g expands the most, retains the most, and penetrates the most on a consistent basis in the 40s&w class, while the Speer Gold Dot are quite similar to the Federal HST in the 9mm class.

billybob_jcv
10-11-2011, 12:02 AM
There so many "wonder rounds" available on the market today that there is no way you would ever get consensus on exactly what defines "best". It's probably a waste of time to chase the specs on the major brands. All of them can probably find an expert that will claim they make the "best" because of X, Y or Z.

CK_32
10-11-2011, 1:57 AM
HST and Fold dot are the top defensive ammo as of right now.

Asked the same question a few weeks back. Those were the top recommended to me.

scootle
10-11-2011, 2:27 AM
Regardless of what you pick, run several hundred rounds of your final choice(s) through your pistol (preferably both slow and rapid) to check for functional incompatibilities.

Whatever you run, do this simple drill every time you load up with your JHP rounds for carry. This was a drill taught to me in a Defensive Pistol class by Louis Awerbuck.

Load up your carry magazines. In a safe manner, load each magazine into your pistol and cycle *every* round through the pistol manually to check for feeding problems. Physically inspect each cycled round for any visual damage/oddities before reloading into the carry magazines.

Louis indicated that this was one of the only ways to be extra-sure your carry ammo, which your life depends on, is OK in your pistol of the day. There are just too many QA issues running around in the ammo business these days to not take a few minutes to stake your life on a relatively quick personal check-out.

Best of luck and be safe!

PS personally, I chose Speer Gold-Dot 124gr +P as my zombie-rounds for my M&P9. Also, you mention both Glock 19 and 23 in the OP... I trust you don't carry both at the same time (as primary and BUG?)... most would advocate you stick to a single caliber and system to ensure ammo/magazine cross-compatibility between both primary and BUG, assuming you can conceal both, obviously.

davbog44
10-11-2011, 2:56 AM
I keep it real simple. I carry what the local LEO's carry which is Gold Dot. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

My philosophy is similar, except not limited to only what my local LE carries.

If you stick with the better known, LE used ammunition, that's probably the closest thing to consensus you are going to get.

So, Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, Federal HST is your short list.

FWIW, I am not sure that there is a fool proof way to save money on defensive ammunition, simply because you really should run a quantity of what you select through the weapon you select it for, before committing to carrying it.

The good news; the two Glock models you mentioned are not known to be picky eaters.

I think an excellent and simple solution might be to go with Gold Dot. One of the nice things about the Speer line is that there are Speer Lawman equivalents for most of the Gold Dot line. So if you choose say, the 165 grain Gold Dot for your 23, you can practice with the 165 grain Lawman and get the same feel, recoil characteristics, etc. Ditto if you prefer a 180 grain load, there's a Gold Dot and a cheaper Lawman practice equivalent.

scootle
10-11-2011, 3:17 AM
Just be aware that recently there are isolated reports of QA issues with the Speer Lawman ammo, so just be aware if you run that as a practice/range load.

The Gold Dot line is LE/carry ammo, so it's held to a higher standard afaik.

1_Grendel
10-11-2011, 7:00 AM
Local LEO family & friends carry Ranger so I carry ranger because every once in a while I find a box left on my door step :) I agree with the others there is little difference between the brands

sava
10-11-2011, 7:33 AM
Regardless of what you pick, run several hundred rounds of your final choice(s) through your pistol (preferably both slow and rapid) to check for functional incompatibilities.

Whatever you run, do this simple drill every time you load up with your JHP rounds for carry. This was a drill taught to me in a Defensive Pistol class by Louis Awerbuck.

Load up your carry magazines. In a safe manner, load each magazine into your pistol and cycle *every* round through the pistol manually to check for feeding problems. Physically inspect each cycled round for any visual damage/oddities before reloading into the carry magazines.

Louis indicated that this was one of the only ways to be extra-sure your carry ammo, which your life depends on, is OK in your pistol of the day. There are just too many QA issues running around in the ammo business these days to not take a few minutes to stake your life on a relatively quick personal check-out.

Best of luck and be safe!

PS personally, I chose Speer Gold-Dot 124gr +P as my zombie-rounds for my M&P9. Also, you mention both Glock 19 and 23 in the OP... I trust you don't carry both at the same time (as primary and BUG?)... most would advocate you stick to a single caliber and system to ensure ammo/magazine cross-compatibility between both primary and BUG, assuming you can conceal both, obviously.

That sounds like a good idea. Making sure the ammo feeds before firing is yet another security check.

I don't carry the two guns simultaneously, that would be silly. I will carry one or the other, depending on my mood.

Oceanbob
10-11-2011, 7:48 AM
My Glock 29 (10MM) I usually run Winchester Silvertip 175 grain handloads.

Glock 19 or 23, anything Cor-bon.

Glock 21, .45 hardball works :D ...:)

626Tony
10-11-2011, 7:53 AM
gold dot or hornady

windrunner50
10-11-2011, 7:53 AM
Winchester Ranger LE ammunition......IMHO

esartori
10-11-2011, 8:05 AM
I like winchester rangter T series myself. I want to get some PDX1 as well and see how that goes. I generally try to watch some videos and see which few I would like to try before I buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyzJDGFvUo That link is for some winchester (but that guy's videos are pretty good and he does tests over a wide variety of ammo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBEEFn3nby8&feature=related Here is another good link for ammo tests.

From the responses above, I say try Winchester Ranger or PDX1, Speer Gold Dot, and HST and see which cycles most reliably and feels best in your weapons.

I also agree with above that for primary carry and BUG you should probably have the same ammunition for magazine swapping capabilities.

ZombieTactics
10-11-2011, 8:12 AM
I carry Federal HST, but not because I know conclusively that it will expand as advertised. It's more a matter that it will penetrate well even if it doesn't expand, and penetrate well enough if it does expand. Penetration is the one one "must have" feature.

If you really want to go minimalist, just get something in FMJ with enough ooomph to penetrate well. Aside from basic penetration, everything else is questionable IMHO.

JeremyS
10-11-2011, 9:02 AM
...load each magazine into your pistol and cycle *every* round through the pistol manually to check for feeding problems...
I'm not implying that this is a bad idea at all, but keep an eye on bullet setback if you do this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=476138 ...it can cause overpressure and has been blamed for kabooms, including Glock kb's, more than once...

esartori
10-11-2011, 9:14 AM
I'm not implying that this is a bad idea at all, but keep an eye on bullet setback if you do this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=476138 ...it can cause overpressure and has been blamed for kabooms, including Glock kb's, more than once...

I agree with this. To test cycling, you want to fire your gun and actually test it. Manually cycling it will not always yield real world cycling results. Try at least a box (if not more) before you trust your life to it.

Sillyguy
10-11-2011, 9:28 AM
learn to shoot well too!

SIGSHOOTR
10-11-2011, 3:50 PM
I use Ranger T-Series 147gr. and Golden Saber 147gr JHPs for my G19 and P226. My buddies at LAPD and FBI recommend these rounds respectively. I've only used FMJ rounds in the field and have never fired JHPs in combat or in self defense (and hope I never have to), so don't have any firsthand knowledge of JHP expansion, performance, etc.-- going solely by their recommendations based on their real world experience. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Kosuki
10-11-2011, 5:09 PM
Gold Dot is great ammo ^^

CALI SHOT DOC
10-11-2011, 5:15 PM
I love federals HST rounds. Run great in my 17 and 26.

scootle
10-11-2011, 5:23 PM

I agree with this. To test cycling, you want to fire your gun and actually test it. Manually cycling it will not always yield real world cycling results. Try at least a box (if not more) before you trust your life to it.

yes, hence why you need to read the entire quote...

To be honest, your odds of a kaboom incident is much lower than a JHP feeding problem with most pistols, imho.

thefinger
10-11-2011, 5:55 PM
Glocks eat everything (well almost everything (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umey11566os&feature=channel_video_title)), so you can count on it to be reliable with any decent JHP ammo. Federal HST seems to be the preferred defense round this year, so I'd start there.

!@#$
10-11-2011, 6:35 PM
win rangerT
fed hst
speer gold dot

take your pick.

147 grain in 9mm and 180 grain in 40. lower recoil than the faster lighter weight bullets. every bit as good expansion and penetration.

SA227driver
10-11-2011, 7:25 PM
I use Extreme Shock 90grn 9mm and 150grn .45ACP
Hornady 200grn .45ACP

JeremyS
10-11-2011, 8:25 PM
yes, hence why you need to read the entire quote...
Yeah, read it all. I think it's worth specifically mentioning setback though, especially in this case. Most people notice and even judge setback by comparing one round to another. If you're cycling all of your rounds through your gun, they could all be affected to the same degree and you wouldn't be able to tell. If you're concerned about it, you'd have to make sure to not just inspect your rounds visually for obvious issues, but to actually compare them against a brand new factory round (or, of course, you could measure with a caliper if you know the correct OAL for the round you're using)...

SDM44
10-11-2011, 8:44 PM
I use both HST and Gold Dot, but I like using HST more in my guns.

Why? Not because I see videos or read about it on the internet, but because I actually went out to the private range at Burro and tested different JHP rounds in my guns that I would use for HD, shooting them into phone books and seeing the results for myself.

Another reason why I like HST better, and you can try this for yourself since I haven't seen any vids on this or any info about it, is that HST didn't have as much muzzle flash at night compared to the Gold Dots I tested. I like testing in the dark to simulate a HD scenario, so I know what it'll look like when I shoot in the dark. And surprisingly, the HST didn't as much muzzle flash compared to the Gold Dot I tested.

You don't have to take what I said, but at least think about the tests I did and do them yourself so you know how your HD ammo will run and react when shot out of your gun(s).

pyromensch
10-11-2011, 9:38 PM
i use magsafe. in my 45acp, oops, sorry it's not a glock

Super Spy
10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I use HST +P in my Glock 30SF....

Sunday
10-12-2011, 5:53 AM
[QUOTE=!@#$;7306784]win rangerT
fed hst
speer gold dot

take your pick.

147 grain in 9mm and 180 grain in 40. lower recoil than the faster lighter weight bullets. every bit as good expansion and penetration.[/ Here is a link to prove these great choices
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Seiran
10-12-2011, 5:27 PM
I personally use 180gr .40SW Federal HST, and have no issues recommending it to others.