PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Have you ever seen someone UOC?

locosway
10-10-2011, 10:21 PM
With the ban, and media coverage, it seems that UOC is prevalent across the state, with every Starbucks, mall, and book store swarmed with gun toting extremists.

But, have you ever seen someone actually practicing UOC without actually going to a UOC event?

I have to confess, I've never in my life seen someone UOC.

Ergo the Qualmed
10-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I've seen one, and only one.

He was behind me at the ATM at the Cal Expo gunshow not too long ago.

Getting an E check, I guess he needed to have a tag through his gun to enter, too.

Cop was nice about it, took like 2 seconds to check condition of gun, and then shot the shat with him for a few minutes, asking him about how he liked the gun (LCP or Ruger or something, I think I actually don't remember so well haha).
Of course, these LEO seemed friendlier and whatnot, but it was nice to see.

PsychGuy274
10-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Yes, I open carried when I lived in CA and I ran into another individual while open carrying.

watsonville
10-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Never seen anyone either well I guess it's like they say "YOU DON'T USE IT YOU LOSE IT"

Support the nra

Shellshocker66
10-11-2011, 8:47 AM
Seen one, was at a Black Bear restaurant. He was waiting for a table with a group who were not UOCing. Pretty obvious the gun did not have a mag in it and no one was really paying him much attention.

tenpercentfirearms
10-11-2011, 9:03 AM
I UOCed after an IDPA match in Taft. We all did. However it is Taft and even the sheriffs that came to the restaraunt to eat afterwards didn't even bat an eye.

evidens83
10-11-2011, 9:03 AM
Last month, the day of the San Diego Blackout. Seen 2 fellas come in Lowes frantically looking for batteries and flashlights lol.

shooterfpga
10-11-2011, 9:09 AM
Last month, the day of the San Diego Blackout. Seen 2 fellas come in Lowes frantically looking for batteries and flashlights lol.

did he say he was on patrol? and mumbling to himself SHTF?

SocomM4
10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
So you cant have even an unloaded mag in the pistol? And wheres the loaded mag?

jermedic
10-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Never saw one is CA. See plenty of it here in AZ and it's just a normal part of life that nobody gives a second look at.

gadjeep
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Never in CA. Maine, CO and NC but never here. ETA: Sorry, thought it just said OC, no one carries an unloaded gun around in a free state. Just doesn't make sense.

couch
10-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Never someone I wasn't with. However I did see someone trip in DTSD a week and a half ago trip and drop a Glock mag out of his right pant leg. Picked it up, put it in his pocket behind his Kershaw JYD2 and casually walk off. Well played and if it were anyone else that saw you, I doubt they would have known what was up.

safewaysecurity
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Nope and they're apparently in my area all the time

shy 7th
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I've lived in Thousand Oaks for almost 30 years and have seen neither a lone UOC'er nor a UOC event, ever.

Of course, for the first 20 years of my life I was oblivious to other people's business and if I did see someone carrying I probably just assumed they were legit so it didn't stick in my memory... so really only the past 10 years count.

...So in the past 10 years I have seen neither a lone UOC'er nor a UOC event, ever.

SickofSoCal
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
No.

23 Blast
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Seen it twice.

First time was at my local Chipotle restaurant - guy wearing what looked like business casual and probably on his lunch break, was UOC-ing a Beretta 92. I knew it was unloaded because of the gaping hole of the magwell. Dude didn't look shady at all and I doubt many of my fellow patrons noticed it, or if they did (since it was in plain sight) they must've assumed he was a cop.

Second time was at Ammo Bros in Cerritos. A fellow calgunner who must've been there to do a PPT, was UOC-ing a 1911, as well as carrying literature about UOC, and how and why it's legal. IIRC, he even was wearing a ballcap to that effect.

beenawhile
10-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Once in line at Safeway,that's it

Flintlock Tom
10-11-2011, 1:03 PM
Yes, at Starbucks, at Discount Gun Mart and in the mirror.
I always have an empty mag in my 1911 while UOC.

Decoligny
10-11-2011, 1:29 PM
Yes, I look at him in the mirror every morning.

I LOC'd almost everytime I left my house prior to getting my LTC. In the areas where I could not carry loaded, I would UOC.

DVSmith
10-11-2011, 1:30 PM
He was on his way to Burro Canyon and stopped in Azusa at Starbucks.

trob
10-11-2011, 1:34 PM
Never seen anyone either well I guess it's like they say "YOU DON'T USE IT YOU LOSE IT"

Support the nra

thats BS. it wasnt going anywhere before all these people started drawing ridiculous attention to it. If people can't be mature enough to just enjoy a freedom without flaunting it all over the place, they are just asking for it to be taken away. Antagonizing police, doing things simply to get a rise out of the public (ie video cameras), and just causing problems on purpose is the reason they want to take it away. All I can say to people who did the things I just listed is....W T G

i think the OC events are pathetic and hurt gun owners way more than they helped.

Gryff
10-11-2011, 1:39 PM
Most gun owners recognize the pointlessness and risk of open carry, so they don't do it.

Paper Boy
10-11-2011, 1:41 PM
Nope

viet4lifeOC
10-11-2011, 1:59 PM
Nope

joelogic
10-11-2011, 2:44 PM
Yes, daly city in and out.

gunafficionado
10-11-2011, 2:49 PM
I've run into a lot of people carrying sheath knives openly but never handguns.

Which Way Out
10-11-2011, 3:00 PM
No.

I was just in AZ. and kept my eyes open, but never saw any there either. Did see a poster in the window of a Resturant that said no guns inside.

noob_tube
10-11-2011, 3:16 PM
I have. The guy was walking around walmart. People kept staring at him lol. I open carried once. Didn't do anything for me.

biker777
10-11-2011, 3:23 PM
nope, did not ever see a reason to UOC, what good is an unloaded weapon?

look what happened partly due to those that have,,now we cannot

Rob454
10-11-2011, 3:27 PM
Twice
One guy on a street bike on the 91 freeway had a leg holster with a semi auto no mag

One guy walking into a local restaurant. This guy thought he was just the cats meow because he had a holstered gun. he gave me a look and I just laughed at him. I could see the empty magwell so I knew it was a OC not a LEO wheni walked in cause his back was to me

Dutch3
10-11-2011, 3:38 PM
UOC? Once, in a bank of all places.

I used to see people LOC in my neighborhood (about 15 miles out of "town") all the time. Mostly ranchers carrying loaded revolvers. It was just business as usual.

Decoligny
10-11-2011, 3:49 PM

You can have an empty magazine in the magazine well.

I carry the full magazines in magazine holders on the opposite side of the belt from the gun. That way, if I should need to load the gun, I grab the gun with one hand and a full magazine with the other.

JSolie
10-11-2011, 6:07 PM
Nope. I did see a couple of guys openly carrying in Kingman, AZ a few years ago. I do not think it was unloaded as both weapons had magazines in them.

chim-chim7
10-11-2011, 8:25 PM
They should have banned allowing BG's to carry concealed illegal weapons. That would have been better. Now I expect to see demonstrations in San Diego with AR-15's. I will definately go to see that.

EBR Works
10-11-2011, 9:54 PM
It used to be pretty much everywhere in rural areas of Arizona. I was there a few months ago and did not see a single OC firearm in a week. CCW is much more sensible and people now have that freedom.

I have never seen any form of open carry in California.

tenpercentfirearms
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I forgot, I learned about UOC when Army carried into my gun shop. So other than my friends and I once, yes.

77bawls
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Nope.

I LOC in the national forest and I don't really care if my concealed shows a little.

Levetti
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I've never seen anyone open carry in San Jose or around the Bay area; only seen it on Youtube or the news.

InGrAM
10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I have seen more people open carrying knives, to be honest.

dieselpower
10-12-2011, 6:44 AM
In Oxnard I saw a guy walking his dog with a Glock on the left, Magazines on the right.

I agree with the Brady Camp on this one... The last thing CA needs is untrained idiots walking around with guns... We need to train THEM ALL

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/warandpiece2.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/warandpiece.jpg

Equis
10-12-2011, 7:10 AM
Yes, in Pinole shopping center the a-hole acted like he was bullet proof and stared down people walking near him, like he was about to pull it out of the holster.

FatalKitty
10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
On 4th of July i was volunteering at the gate to the fairgrounds for the fireworks show. I had just come from photographing the Independence Day parade and had a lot of gear with me. I had my badge but as I walked up to the gate to get in the security guard asks to search my bag and I said "No thank you" showed up my pass and walked in, as I get set up just inside the gate I noticed a bunch of people offloading from a van all wearing red "tea party" t-shirts. one guy had a revolver on his hip. I thought it was cool the guy was really old (needed a cane even!) and everyone was well dressed, weren't loud obnoxious or anything. But it was obvious his pistol was a form of political protest by his shirt.

The security guard approached him and I knew something was about to go down so I tried to get my camera gear out but the interaction didn't last long enough

Security: "Sir do you have a concealed weapons permit for that firearm?"
UOCer: "Yes I do, but I prefer to carry it openly"
Security: "I think it's best that while you're inside the fairgrounds that you conceal it, we're happy to have you here."
UOCer: "No problem sir, have a nice day!"

and the guy went from UOC to concealed in a couple of moments :)

sanjosebmx
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM

makes no sense to carry with an unloaded mag in the gun, you'd just have to drop it to insert a loaded mag..

It's a mute point where to keep the loaded mag (back pocket?) since you can't do it anyway...not here anyway...

warbird
10-12-2011, 11:36 PM
i have seen it twice and both times it was a gun shop owner who left his own shop and was required to unload before going down the street to get something to eat or drink. I have gone into a lot of Starbucks hoping to see some good old boys sitting around drinking coffee after a morning on the range in Northern California but no luck. That is why I am amazed at all the flack about outlawing something most people have never seen. I would be more leery of someone sitting with a baseball bat next to his chair than someone carrying an unloaded gun out in the open. people who open carry know they are subject to higher than normal surveillance so their act has to be together better than most. this state is in full reverse or so it seems.

chim-chim7
10-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Its best to keep a empty magazine inside the pistol at all times! One could argue that a magazine is part of the gun and keeping it detached is a form of concealed carry. Don't do it. Don't believe me, then you have never open carried. Plus a gun is for personal protection, why would you want to alert others that your gun is unloaded. Makes no sense to me. Dropping the mag is fast, especially when you practice. You have limited time to carry, better do it now. Next comes the AR and M1A.

PsychGuy274
10-13-2011, 3:26 AM
Its best to keep a empty magazine inside the pistol at all times! One could argue that a magazine is part of the gun and keeping it detached is a form of concealed carry. Don't do it. Don't believe me, then you have never open carried. Plus a gun is for personal protection, why would you want to alert others that your gun is unloaded. Makes no sense to me. Dropping the mag is fast, especially when you practice. You have limited time to carry, better do it now. Next comes the AR and M1A.

:confused:

I UOCed a lot when I lived in SD and I never carried a mag in the magwell. Carrying loaded mags outside is NOT considered carrying a concealed weapon unless the mags themselves are concealed which is a bad ruling from the Harris (I believe) case.

Additionally, firearms have more than one use. I used mine for political protest when I UOCed.

Bobula
10-13-2011, 3:28 AM
I'm pretty sure I ended up on youtube after having to ask a UOC'er to leave while doing a mall ninja gig.

chim-chim7
10-13-2011, 3:36 AM
:confused:

I UOCed a lot when I lived in SD and I never carried a mag in the magwell. Carrying loaded mags outside is NOT considered carrying a concealed weapon unless the mags themselves are concealed which is a bad ruling from the Harris (I believe) case.

Additionally, firearms have more than one use. I used mine for political protest when I UOCed.

So you left the magwell empty, why? Was it to show a friendly gesture to others that your handgun was not loaded? You were not worried about getting debris inside your gun? I don't want people to know that my gun has no ammo in it, but then again I carried for personal protection. What exactly were you protesting?:confused: I thought it was more of exercizing your right to carry, and to inform the public about Second Amendment rights and the importance of self-defense.

Thunderhawk
10-13-2011, 6:19 PM
Never here in Ca. But years ago saw it all the time in Va. and N.C.

PsychGuy274
10-14-2011, 2:45 AM
So you left the magwell empty, why? Was it to show a friendly gesture to others that your handgun was not loaded? You were not worried about getting debris inside your gun? I don't want people to know that my gun has no ammo in it, but then again I carried for personal protection. What exactly were you protesting?:confused: I thought it was more of exercizing your right to carry, and to inform the public about Second Amendment rights and the importance of self-defense.

Debris in the magwell? You're kidding right?

I'm walking down the street in sunny San Diego, not through Iraq during a sand storm.

I viewed it as a way to protest SDs CCW isuance policy which is one of the stricter ones in CA - letting them know that they would not deter me from carrying firearm. While UOCing about 90% of people didn't notice and a lot of those who did notice talked to me about it and I explained why I was doing it and I've gotten nothing but good reactions from those people.

As for self-defense, UOCing for that reason is slightly stupid for the sole reason of it being so impracticle. Are you saying you agree with the most recent ruling in the Peruta case? Now as a deterence it works great.

Don't get me wrong, one should be able to carry however they want (i.e. concealed, openly, on a funny cowboy hat), but they need to be loaded to serve any real self-defense purpose. That's what I was protesting.

chim-chim7
10-14-2011, 3:42 AM
Yes I am glad OC is dead. I don't think open carry is "stupid" as you called it, because every situation is different and having a gun is better than none. I just carry a can of FOX OC now. I think with the current ruling over OC I will eventually have a better chance at a CCW license. I have been waiting for it to die.

I guess if you were just carrying to prove a point then I guess no mag would be necessary. I carried everywhere it was legal, and that darn gun just seemed to bump into everything, especially when getting in and out of restruant dining tables. Iraq or not, I didn't want anything getting in there, but more importantly give off the illusion of a unloaded gun. I guess I can thank you for getting OC banned, becuase it was the OC meetings and protesters in public places that sparked the whole OC ban bill. Thanks! Lori Saldana was the start of it all last year, then it eventually snowballed to sudden death. Oh well, I don't like the fact that we lost a right, but I am crossing my fingers for a better outcome.

PsychGuy274
10-14-2011, 7:18 AM
Yes I am glad OC is dead. I don't think open carry is "stupid" as you called it, because every situation is different and having a gun is better than none. I just carry a can of FOX OC now. I think with the current ruling over OC I will eventually have a better chance at a CCW license. I have been waiting for it to die.

I guess if you were just carrying to prove a point then I guess no mag would be necessary. I carried everywhere it was legal, and that darn gun just seemed to bump into everything, especially when getting in and out of restruant dining tables. Iraq or not, I didn't want anything getting in there, but more importantly give off the illusion of a unloaded gun. I guess I can thank you for getting OC banned, becuase it was the OC meetings and protesters in public places that sparked the whole OC ban bill. Thanks! Lori Saldana was the start of it all last year, then it eventually snowballed to sudden death. Oh well, I don't like the fact that we lost a right, but I am crossing my fingers for a better outcome.

Careful about making assumptions about people you don't know.

I never once went UOCing with a group. Ever. From a protest point of view, the point is to show people that average, everyday people carry - 'normalizing' if you will. Being in a massive group of people carrying is not normal and people view it as extremist (whether it is or not). So no, you can't 'thank me' for getting banned.

grammaton76
10-14-2011, 1:20 PM
The poll option should include "...yes, in the mirror" - those of us who've UOC'ed outside of events are probably skewing the numbers of those who've SEEN people UOC outside of events.

grammaton76
10-14-2011, 1:22 PM
So you left the magwell empty, why? Was it to show a friendly gesture to others that your handgun was not loaded? You were not worried about getting debris inside your gun?

I generally UOC'ed with an empty mag in the magwell. This defeats the completely wrong "...it was loaded but incomplete!" logic which some early arrests used. It's complete, AND unloaded, guys... those loaded mags are just spares, but you can't say the weapon is incomplete this way.

ham
10-14-2011, 3:15 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/warandpiece.jpg

:eek::eek::43: