PDA

View Full Version : Question about long gun registration and homebuilds/manufacturing information

7,62x39
10-10-2011, 8:05 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I realize that there is no requirement to register a home built pistol or long gun, and that there is at least no requirement to have manufacturing information placed on home built rifles.

My question stems from the bill that passed last night, and also this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=86627

In Post #24 Gene saysThe only place you will want to make sure that the unbent flat is marked before building is if/when you're building a pistol.

-Gene

So, now that we are going to have a registration system for long guns as well as pistols, what does that mean as far as marking home builds?

Does this same information apply to long guns when registration time kicks in? If so, will I have to mark home builds that were completed before the law is in effect?

It would help me to answer these questions if I understood why a pistol must currently be marked before manufacturing, as I see no reason why they would have to be, but then again, I am not a lawyer, and Gene has said that that is the way it must be.

hoffmang
10-10-2011, 8:43 PM
Thinking back to that, I'm not sure you even have to mark a homebuilt handgun. There is no requirement that you register a gun you manufacture at home - handgun or in the future long gun.

Looking back, I think I was saying that you should mark receivers that could be either a pistol or a rifle pistol out of caution.

To answer what I expect is your real question, as long as you don't sell it, I do not think that the 2014 long gun registration requirements would require you to put a serial number on it. Remember that when we say registration we're using shorthand for Dealers Record of Sale. Only sales/transfers and guns imported when you move in are required to be in the DROS database (AFS.) Granted there are very few other ways to acquire them, but manufacturing one at home is one.

-Gene

7,62x39
10-10-2011, 8:46 PM
Thinking back to that, I'm not sure you even have to mark a homebuilt handgun. There is no requirement that you register a gun you manufacture at home - handgun or in the future long gun.

Looking back, I think I was saying that you should mark receivers that could be either a pistol or a rifle pistol out of caution.

To answer what I expect is your real question, as long as you don't sell it, I do not think that the 2014 long gun registration requirements would require you to put a serial number on it. Remember that when we say registration we're using shorthand for Dealers Record of Sale. Only sales/transfers and guns imported when you move in are required to be in the DROS database (AFS.) Granted there are very few other ways to acquire them, but manufacturing one at home is one.

-Gene
Thanks Gene, that clears things up, and I am relieved to hear that answer. Thanks again for the response.

torquefliteterror
10-11-2011, 7:48 AM
I have built a few 80% pistols . i researched it to death. its hard to find but it is out there. i took this screen shot of ATF info because the stuff disappears so quickly.

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1p4AXFcJwpmISp54-4xAyOaJ3d07WrJkLn_fApatehwga4YJ8KFKHpAfY13JLx_UB9x ezXsraYfKI/serialnumberatf.png?psid=1

and here is an excerpt straight from GCA1968 FAQ that shows you are able to build at home without restriction, provided it is not an NFA firearm.
"(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone
from making a handgun, shotgun
or rifle?
With certain exceptions a firearm
may be made by a nonlicensee provided
it is not for sale and the maker
is not prohibited from possessing
firearms. However, a person is prohibited
from assembling a nonsporting
semi-automatic rifle or nonsporting
shotgun from imported parts. In addition,
the making of an NFA firearm
requires a tax payment and approval
by ATF. An application to make a
machinegun will not be approved
unless documentation is submitted
showing that the firearm is being
made for a Federal or State agency.
[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C.
5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and
479.105]"

SideWinder11
10-11-2011, 8:13 AM
Gene started a thread about this here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=86627

torquefliteterror
10-11-2011, 8:26 AM
in a nutshell:
provided you are not a"prohibited person" felony or violent misdemeanor and the firearm is for personal use.
1.non NFA pistols and rifles ok to build at home.
2.no form 1 registration
3. no need to serialize unless you decide to sell,transfer, gift your firearm down the line.
Also note you are not able to loan the gun to anyone like regular guns they are for your own use.