PDA

View Full Version : Best Steyr?

X-NewYawker
10-10-2011, 6:39 PM
Owners or shooters -- Which .308 Steyr bolt gun would you buy?
SSG 04? SSG PII? SSG 08 -- or Jeff cooper Scout?

brando
10-10-2011, 7:07 PM
You honestly can't go wrong with either the SSG 69/PII series or the updated SSG 04 models. The 69-series is old technology, but still a good value as an action. The main benefit of either is the cold hammer forged barrels - that's a process Steyr has mastered. The 04 is a nice package, but I think it's a bit overpriced. Compared to the PII it's a bit more versatile, but not significantly more accurate. I would put it in the range of the FN PBR.

The Scout has been a universal "meh" with just about everyone I know. I shot the .376S and .308WIN versions numerous times between '99-2001 and didn't particularly like either. Basically it's a great idea but poor execution. The integral bipod is a really cool idea until you try to use it. The rifle is light and compact and as a simple field gun it works well, but for a lot of people it's hard to justify pricewise when you can get a good precision rig for less. So it really depends on how you want to use it.

X-NewYawker
10-10-2011, 8:05 PM
Thanks, Brando. Will you be in NZ for the whole show?

brando
10-10-2011, 8:20 PM
Hard to say at this point. We wrapped "Tin Tin" last month and now I'm dealing with "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter". The crew on the first "Hobbit" film is just in R&D mode but it'll kick into high gear early next year. If I roll onto those films I'll be here another 2 years. Then there's the potential "Avatar" sequels. So at this point I could be moving back to the States in Feb 2012 or Feb 2016. If the latter then I'll have the time to build up a nice collection of suppressed bolt guns here :)

X-NewYawker
10-11-2011, 7:36 AM
Cool. If you get in to Hobbit Land say hello to Gino Acevedo -an old pal who went out fo r the the first film and NEVER came back to LA…

I REALLY want a green SSG 69… which they don't make anymore -- How would you compare the SSG 04 to the 22" heavy barreled Scout that sell as the "elite?"

windrunner50
10-11-2011, 8:02 AM
The older SSG series PI, PII, PIIk rifles shoot fantastic out of the box, and are more reasonably priced. The PI's are a neat long gun because they have iron sights, medium weight hammer forged barrel, & are easy to pack , but shoot as good or better than many heavy barrel scope only rigs. You can't go wrong with a Steyr P series!

X-NewYawker
10-11-2011, 9:17 AM
Tough call -- I've just always preferred this:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/SteyrSSGI.jpg

The GREEN one -- To this:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/SteyrSniper.jpg

tiger222
10-11-2011, 1:37 PM
The Green SSG P1 is the classic Steyr, so nice, but they do sting a little when shot, I had a 04 in 300wm and that was nice, but more love for the classics. I have a decked out PIIK for sale if you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Cypriss32
10-11-2011, 2:31 PM
Saw a NICE double set trigger green steyr at the ventura gun shot a few weeks ago. Had a scope and sights on it. VERY good shape and decent price........

X-NewYawker
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I have decided on a new green SSG 69 -- on the way from Austria --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/SteyrSSG69.jpg

AM9000
10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Retting had a few PII's and possibly other used models for less than 1k last time I was there.