PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry decision

anayaphoto
10-10-2011, 6:25 PM
I have narrowed down my concealed carry gun to 3 options. Ruger LCR (.38), S&W Air Weight (.38), or the Ruger LC9 (9mm). They are all around 400 bucks which is my budget. Wondering what you all would pick out of the 3 and why. Thanks for the help.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/images/5450.jpg
http://store.neveryieldgear.com/content/184375/catagories/guns/Pistols/SW_M442_AIRWEIGHT_BL.jpg
http://www.bluesheepdog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ruger_LC9_02.jpg

TheDeej
10-10-2011, 6:39 PM
I just got my first S&W recently so I must say I am biased towards them because the trigger and accuracy are incredible, but mine is an L-frame so it is a different beast compared to these compacts.

The LC9 gives you a couple mre rounds.
The revolvers are less likely to have feeding/jamming issues.

My personal opinion would be revolver but to decide which would be on you.
Shoot them all and buy the one you shoot best.

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 6:45 PM
None of the above. But I picked the LC9 because I'm a pistol kind of guy.

esartori
10-10-2011, 6:46 PM
None of the above. But I picked the LC9 because I'm a auto pistol kind of guy.

There I fixed it for you :)

I think I would choose the S&W but I am partial to smith's so that is why.

DRAB_81
10-10-2011, 6:51 PM
Have you shot all 3? I never shot a 442 before I bought one, and I sold it 2 weeks & 60rds later. I'm not a small guy, and I'm NOT recoil sensitive, but that thing sucked to shoot. Shooting with only my strong hand was much more comfortable, and felt more natural. When I shot it two handed, the cylinder release took chunks out of my thumb, and the frame battered my hand pretty good. I know it's not supposed to be a range gun, but damn. I have a PM9 now, and couldn't be happier. If you're set on those 3, I'd shoot them all first.

Glock_fanboy
10-10-2011, 6:55 PM
I'm definitely a semi-auto guy, so I chose the LC9.

pontiacpratt
10-10-2011, 6:55 PM
Call me a Baby but the LCR was a beast to shoot IMHO.
The LC9 has that false reset which messed with my muscle memory
Never shot a S&W so no Opinion.
I carry a PM9 but thinking of getting a PX4 Compact and hopeful for the Beretta Nano to be solid (I'm a Poly-Beretta fanboy:D).

loose_electron
10-10-2011, 6:56 PM
Ruger LCP if you want ultra tiny. A .380 works as well.
(Get it Single shot exemption)
There are some reviews on the site here that don't
like the trigger in the LC9

I have a Ruger LCR and its like all snubbies, tough to aim,
but simple and reliable. Any of the lightweight snubbies
are going to have a good amount of recoil due to low mass.

Glock_fanboy
10-10-2011, 6:57 PM
And what Meathead said... fire all 3 at the range first.

intl1911
10-10-2011, 7:03 PM
I would shy away from the revolvers unless you are skilled and spend a lot of time training with them. They are good guns but the sights are hard to see and they require more skill on the shooters end to use.

The LC9 would be a better choice. I would get a glock 26 much better :).

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 7:04 PM
There I fixed it for you :)

I think I would choose the S&W but I am partial to smith's so that is why.

Lol, a revolver is a revolver and a pistol a pistol ;)

The LC9 is not an auto it is a pistol.

It is neither a fully automatic firearm or a vehicle.

pontiacpratt
10-10-2011, 7:15 PM
It's a "auto" loader ;-)

DRAB_81
10-10-2011, 7:19 PM
It also depends on your method of carry. Contrary to popular belief, IMO none of those are really pocket guns, unless all you wear is cargo shorts and dockers. The 442 was a CHUNK in my pocket, and even the PM9 is still a little big for my pockets. The PM9 absolutely disappears in a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck though, and the LC9 is pretty comparable in size. I just hate the manual safety, and mag disconnect.

esartori
10-10-2011, 7:19 PM
Lol, a revolver is a revolver and a pistol a pistol ;)

The LC9 is not an auto it is a pistol.

It is neither a fully automatic firearm or a vehicle.

I think Samuel Colt would disagree with your definition.

He sold many firearms under the name "Colt's Revolving Pistol".

I bolded auto pistol as an abbreviation for semi-auto pistol (i.e. Brownings automatic colt pistol - not assumed to be fully automatic) which I think is pretty obvious from the firearms listed above.

I agree it is somewhat tomato toMAHto but I thought some might get confused as pistol is synonymous to handgun in most dictionaries (of which revolver is a type of). :)

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 7:21 PM
It's a "auto" loader ;-)

Do you call a revolver or wheel gun a pistol?

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 7:24 PM
I think Samuel Colt would disagree with your definition.

He sold many firearms under the name "Colt's Revolving Pistol".

I bolded auto pistol as an abbreviation for semi-auto pistol (i.e. Brownings automatic colt pistol - not assumed to be fully automatic) which I think is pretty obvious from the firearms listed above.

I agree it is somewhat tomato toMAHto but I thought some might get confused as pistol is synonymous to handgun in most dictionaries (of which revolver is a type of). :)

It is an out dated term. The English language does change over time, does it not? No modern firearms maker would call a revolver a "pistol." Handgun, Yes. Pistol, No.

If someone would like to prove me wrong. please do so. I will cease and desist.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 7:26 PM
I'm definitely a semi-auto guy, so I chose the LC9.

I come to the same conclusion. I don't have a lot of personal experience with the LC9, but I'm just not a big fan of revolvers. I can see specialized needs for them, but my tendancy is to stick with what I know best.

Mr Wizard
10-10-2011, 7:54 PM
The OP's question was which of the three $400 handguns would you choose. Not someone's definition of a pistol vs. revolver vs. wheel gun vs. whatever.

Get back on point.

My preference is for REVOLVERS, because I like simple. Load, point, shoot. Simple.
But with all snubbies, they can be hard on your hands after awhile.

The best advice so far in this thread has been try all three before forking out your hard earned money.

Bug Splat
10-10-2011, 8:12 PM
I hate ruger so I vote s&w. Not a big revo fan either. Rather have a kahr or even the new slim taurus.

CJJohn
10-10-2011, 8:16 PM
1)Try them all if you can and go wiht what YOU like
2)I have a LC9 with over 1200 rds and ZERO problems. As much as I would like to dislike this gun, I just can't. For me it fills a niche for CCW.

Invisible1
10-10-2011, 8:25 PM
I own and shoot the LCR, and have it for concealed carry. Great trigger, very accurate if you practice, Hogue grips make it as comfortable as possible for a lightweight gun. Bottom line...easy to conceal, no safety or 'indicator' to mess with...just point and shoot.

scarville
10-10-2011, 9:22 PM
I have a 442 that I carry would carry if I had permission. I rate it a little bit higher the LCR's I've tried.

Mighty J ho
10-10-2011, 9:26 PM
LC9!

Decoligny
10-10-2011, 9:30 PM
Prefer a semi-auto due to it being more streamlined, more easily concealed than a revolver. Plus it also allows for carry of extra magazine for more capacity and faster reload.

ExtremeX
10-10-2011, 9:35 PM
I picked the LC9 for 2 reasons, its the only semi auto option and its 9mm.

I personally rather have a Kahr pistol like the PM9 over all those options. Is that an option for you?

BLC
10-10-2011, 9:39 PM
Just bought me a Airweight today.

Ubermcoupe
10-10-2011, 9:42 PM
I have an LCR and I like it very much. Very light but the top sights take some practice getting used to.

model63
10-10-2011, 9:44 PM
I have an LC9 and although it is still just outside of the break in period, I think it is finicky on ammo and a tough trigger to get used to despite that being part of the requirements I chose to get intimate with and deal with. I am not saying it is impossible to shoot, but I won't be winning any long range plinking contest with it anytime soon. It fills the size, weight, desired slide safety, price and caliber requirements for me, but I'd seriously consider a glock 26 if it were slimmer, although many would just say PM9. If I were you and the LC9 is on your list....and you have the means, I would say a PM9 should be on your short list as well...

chsk9
10-10-2011, 9:58 PM
I carry a 642 or 438 as a backup & LC9 off duty sometimes. I really like the LC9 and it would be my first choice for warm weather if I'm not carrying my G30. The LC9 offers more capacity, faster reloads, better sights, slim package. Why not a Glock 26?

anayaphoto
10-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Actually when I bought my G19 I was shopping for a subcompact and looking at a 26 but the salesman talked me out of the 26 and I ended up with the 19. He said it was not any thicker than the 26 and had the higher capacity.

I had not looked at the PM9 until it was suggested in this thread, seems like a great option but its a little out of my budget.

I don't really want to go the .380 route because I have other 9mm's and .38's.

I don't plan on making this something I shoot every trip to the range, most likely I will just train with it till I am decent with it. So Im not sure that it being comfortable to shoot is very important.

I'll have to go to the range and shoot them like many of you suggested. The range didn't have a LC9 for rental. Anyone want to meet up at a range sometime and let me shoot theirs? I have some stuff I will let you shoot in exchange. Hopefully I have something cool enough to pull that deal off. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Legasat
10-10-2011, 11:16 PM
If it was me, I prefer 9mm to .38spl. The LC9 is also easier to conceal.

HPGunner
10-10-2011, 11:27 PM
LCR all the way. It's a great DA pull and its super reliable not to mention very light.

Foriegn power
10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
shot all of them the trigger on the LC9 will take too long to get use to. the S&W 38 is the way to go and has been hiding in peoples waistband since the beginning of time.

model63
10-10-2011, 11:58 PM
I'll have to go to the range and shoot them like many of you suggested. The range didn't have a LC9 for rental. Anyone want to meet up at a range sometime and let me shoot theirs?

If you put your location in your profile you might get more bites... I am in the Bay Area and frequent the South Bay periodically if you are local I'd be willing to give you plenty of trigger time if you want to PM to cinch down a time and place.. You may find in the end that waiting a little longer for something a little more pricey may be worth the wait.

You may or may not find the video below of any help... in the end you need to get range time and find what works best for you...

0Av9COfLB_Y?hd=1

jgorman
10-11-2011, 12:04 AM
I would say S&W

bsg
10-11-2011, 4:47 AM
Actually when I bought my G19 I was shopping for a subcompact and looking at a 26 but the salesman talked me out of the 26 and I ended up with the 19. He said it was not any thicker than the 26 and had the higher capacity.

if your G19 is and will continue to be your primary defensive/HD handgun, and you are seeking a subcompact for concealed carry... i'd suggest you seriously reconsider the G26 for that task.

negolien
10-11-2011, 7:57 AM
look at the Kimber Solo?

http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo

BunnySlayer
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
My daily carry guns are a Smith 1911sc .45 and a Smith airweight. The airweight is ALLWAYS with me.

J.D.Allen
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm just wondering why everyone thinks you have to have a palm sized gun to CC??? I don't get it. I carry my full size 75B everyday in a OWB holster...yes, concealed...and it works just fine.

morrcarr67
10-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I just picked up this:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i461/morrcarr67/2011-10-10_14-34-06_979.jpg

About the same size as the LCP but better grips (IMO) and a built in laser.

robcoe
10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Off the list you gave, I would say the LCR, but the .357 model, or the LC9.

Glock_fanboy
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm just wondering why everyone thinks you have to have a palm sized gun to CC??? I don't get it. I carry my full size 75B everyday in a OWB holster...yes, concealed...and it works just fine.

Some people like lightweight guns for CCing... Others, like myself, wouldn't be able to conceal even a glock 19 on themselves. And I'm pretty sure a glock 26 would not only be to thick but the end of the grip would also print probably for me. If I'm wearing a sweatshirt or something, then sure I can conceal most if not all, but I'm only in a sweatshirt on the days it's really pouring.

Just be happy you can do that so easily.

Swift Justice
10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Have you shot all 3? I never shot a 442 before I bought one, and I sold it 2 weeks & 60rds later. I'm not a small guy, and I'm NOT recoil sensitive, but that thing sucked to shoot. Shooting with only my strong hand was much more comfortable, and felt more natural. When I shot it two handed, the cylinder release took chunks out of my thumb, and the frame battered my hand pretty good. I know it's not supposed to be a range gun, but damn. I have a PM9 now, and couldn't be happier. If you're set on those 3, I'd shoot them all first.

^^This.
I had an LCR that I put about 150 rounds through and promptly sold. I really wanted to like it - very well made, lightweight, excellent trigger pull for a DA only revolver. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it with anything other than FWC target loads, and I consider myself a better than average shot. After 50 rounds of standard ammo (not even +P) my hand felt like hamburger. My Taurus 851 ultra lite only weighed a little more and shot a lot better, but I sold it too. .38 snubbies are just not for me.

For a little more money you can get a Glock 26 which you can practice with all day, holds more rounds than the LC9, and will be ultra reliable.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg304/steves67mini/Taurus%20851/DSCN0814.jpg

TheExpertish
10-11-2011, 1:25 PM
I agree with the 2 posters above in see what you like, then shoot it. May want to expand out of your 3 choices because you may end up shooting something you like more. It's more about what feels good in the hand versus what looks good on paper.

10-11-2011, 5:27 PM
Ruger LC9

TheDeej
10-11-2011, 5:41 PM

I agree with this but also understand that many don't dress as I do. I'm not a t-shirt and shorts kind of guy, I'm always in a collared shirt (polo or button-down) and jeans.

I'd personally prefer a K-frame to carry or a Ruger SP101 with the 3 inch barrel. Those SP's are heavy little revolvers and that weight makes it much less painful to train with as long as you lay-off the .357

AK_Guy
10-29-2011, 11:36 PM
I personally rather have a Kahr pistol like the PM9 over all those options. Is that an option for you?

^^^This...

I just bought a LC9 though, having shot a PM9 and knowing it was a better gun...at $316 from Kentucky Gun Co. though, it was a no-brainer...also looking to add the PM9 down the road, but I would be all about 9mm over the .38 revolver...YMMV...

97guns
10-31-2011, 7:55 AM
my lc9 has been great through 500 rounds, no break in period needed. its plenty pocketable for me, the trigger is great, and the saftey doodads dont bother me. i think its my perfect pistol.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/003-2.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/001-6.jpg

glockman19
10-31-2011, 8:21 AM
I carry a S&S 442 & 624. Why? I would not want to rely on a pistol getting caught in my pocket or snagged on my clohing.

I don't see these issues arising with a revolver.

emc002
10-31-2011, 9:10 AM
I just shot the LC9 at a group shoot, dear Lord is that trigger and reset AWFUL!
I was going to buy one before shooting it, but it sucked so bad I'm probably going to get either a Kahr CM9 (Single Shot Exempted) or PM9 which I've also shot and are worth the additional $$$.

Barney_Fife
10-31-2011, 10:52 AM
I think the real question to ask you is, which one of the three can you accurately shoot well?

Or, which one of the three do you feel most confident shooting well under a pressure situation?

johnny_boy02
10-31-2011, 5:31 PM
I have both the LCR and the LC9. I love the LCR and boarder line hate the LC9.

The size of the LC9 is ok, no failures to fire or eject. To me the trigger is horrible.

johnny_boy02
10-31-2011, 5:31 PM
I have both the LCR and the LC9. I love the LCR and boarder line hate the LC9.

The size of the LC9 is ok, no failures to fire or eject. To me the trigger is horrible.

Colt-45
10-31-2011, 5:32 PM
I'd go with the LC9 or the LCR in .38/.357.

JAGACIDA
10-31-2011, 5:58 PM
My wife wanted the LCR so we bought her one, it was a handful for her with standard gunshow .38 rounds. A little bit more punch with +P's. I put 2 in the same hole first time shooting it, the other 3 nearby, really surprised at how well it pointed for me. I'm not a great pistol shot either. I like it, fits in my pockets no matter where or what I'm wearing, it's very concealable.

m1a1driver
10-31-2011, 6:06 PM
I'd leave the .380's out of it. just 1" longer gives you full 9mm power. Carried both the LC9 and the LCR .38. I like the lightness of the LCR , but the cylinder digs into my side sometimes (IWB carry). The lc9 is nice and flat so it feels better to me. If you are going to pocket carry then the revolver is the way to go ( in case you have to fire from inside the pocket)

KelVarnson
10-31-2011, 6:19 PM
If you go the revolver route, may I suggest that you consider a shrouded hammer model, like the S&W 638, or the Taurus shown a few posts above mine? The reason is, it is hard enough to hit a target with a snubbie, having the additional option of shooting single action (if the situation permits) might improve accuracy.

As a 638 owner, this has been my experience.

Also, shooting +P loads, yeah, a little painful, but considering the intended use, I wouldn't consider that to be a huge factor. .357 though? Not something I'd want to do in a gun that size.