PDA

View Full Version : Skipped poker night to reload

ocabj
02-08-2007, 9:30 PM
I skipped my regular poker game this evening to reload. A couple hours and 350 rounds of .40S&W later:

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/handloads_misc/IMG_4827.sized.jpg (http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/handloads_misc/IMG_4827.jpg)

It's nice to be able to run off a few hundred rounds of ammo in one sitting.

Plus, I was able to prep a few hundred cases of .223 for loading later.

Right now for my XD40 Tactical 5", I've settled on using 185gr Precision Bullets, 4.2gr Titegroup, and Winchester primers. It should be pushing 950fps. About 8-9 cents per round.

PLINK
02-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Nice!!

What press are you using?

I am in the process of setting up my Dillon 550 for .45 ACP. I reloaded some ammo on Wulf's press last weekend and I think it is really cool to do your own thing. Not to be limited to what the factory wants you to have/ buy.

ocabj
02-09-2007, 5:23 AM
I have a Redding T-7 turret press and a RCBS Rockchucker single stage with the Hornady Lock-N-Load bushing conversion. I use the Redding for pistol, but actually used my Rockchucker for making the .40 ammo because I haven't gotten around to ordering another turret. The current turret is filled with the dies for 9mm and .45ACP.

thomye
02-09-2007, 5:47 AM
I have a Redding T-7 turret press and a RCBS Rockchucker single stage with the Hornady Lock-N-Load bushing conversion. I use the Redding for pistol, but actually used my Rockchucker for making the .40 ammo because I haven't gotten around to ordering another turret. The current turret is filled with the dies for 9mm and .45ACP.

can you do us a huge favor. i'm totally new to shooting and i want to start reloading mostly for cost reasons. can you take pics of your press and then do a sequence of the stages involved reloading. Only if it's not too much trouble.

i'm certain many people here would like to see it. I'm also certain many here already know how to do it.

when you aren't reloading, are the raw materials dangerous sitting in a garage? my concern of course is fire and that sort of stuff.

thanks

Fjold
02-09-2007, 6:16 AM
Here's a link to videos of the basic steps from the National Reloading Manufacturers Association. I have not watched them but they may be something that would interest beginning reloaders.

http://www.reload-nrma.com/videos.html

ocabj
02-09-2007, 6:56 AM
can you take pics of your press and then do a sequence of the stages involved reloading. Only if it's not too much trouble.

when you aren't reloading, are the raw materials dangerous sitting in a garage? my concern of course is fire and that sort of stuff.

thanks

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/printsteps.html <- step by step guide w/ pictures

The powder is stored in the house. Wooden cabinets. Primers are stored in the house. Wooden cabinets, separate from powder.

xrMike
02-09-2007, 8:58 AM
Plus, I was able to prep a few hundred cases of .223 for loading later.You prepped those bags of .223 brass with the fancy label on them? That looks like online store-bought to me! :D You even initialed your own label too, it looks like. If those are indeed your own, you sir are truly obsessive-compulsive (which is a good thing in a reloader).

Where'd you get those blue boxes? I need to buy about 10 of those things for .45. And some for .223 too.

GTKrockeTT
02-09-2007, 9:15 AM
Where'd you get those blue boxes? I need to buy about 10 of those things for .45. And some for .223 too.

Run a search at Midway USA for "Frankford Arsenal Box."

ocabj
02-09-2007, 9:27 AM
You prepped those bags of .223 brass with the fancy label on them? That looks like online store-bought to me! :D You even initialed your own label too, it looks like. If those are indeed your own, you sir are truly obsessive-compulsive (which is a good thing in a reloader).

That .223 brass in the picture is from Scharch aka Top Brass. I get my once fired LC from them. It comes processed, but I still resize and trim the brass anyway. I need to crack open that bag and sort the headstamps, resize, trim, deburr, and clean.

But the .223 brass I preprocessed the other night was some 5-6 timed fired brass I needed to deprime, clean, resize, trim, deburr, clean and prime for another loading.

The boxes are, as someone already mentioned, from Midway. I just ordered another case of 10 from Midway this morning (along with some XD mags). The case of 10 only runs for $10. $1 per box is a good deal.

sargenv
02-09-2007, 9:29 AM
heh.. after a while, the Obsessive compulsive may eventually wane a bit and you will start placing your 40 ammo in the bullet boxes since you'll load more. I used to put my ammo in those boxes until I started making more than the boxes will carry. I found that a box of 500 - 40 cal bullets fits about 200-250 rounds of loaded 40 ammo. They stack nicer too.

Vince

xrMike
02-09-2007, 9:36 AM
The boxes are, as someone already mentioned, from Midway. I just ordered another case of 10 from Midway this morning (along with some XD mags). The case of 10 only runs for $10. $1 per box is a good deal.Woah, that is cheap. I've seen those things elsewhere, and they usually run $2 to $2.50 each.

moredes
02-09-2007, 2:13 PM
Nice!!

What press are you using?

HUH??? JEEzus... did any of ya'll read the subject line??:eek: :)

Skipped poker night to reload

DAMN, boy, ya gotta go in more optomistic than that... faced with the need for more ammo the next day, th'ain't no way I would *miss* a game. I mean, 5 or 6 guys, holding *MY* OEM-Brand-New-Factory-Ammo shootin' money, and bringin' it to a recreational (beer-drinkin') event to give to me? All I gotta do is show up if someone's already called the game.

Can I get an "Amen"??:D

Woah, that is cheap. I've seen those things elsewhere, and they usually run $2 to $2.50 each.

It'd been even cheaper if he'd have gone to the poker game and collected his money!:p

chickenfried
02-09-2007, 2:28 PM
I'm not sure if what you did is kosher according to man law.

ocabj
02-09-2007, 2:36 PM
If you shoot as much as I do, you need to find time to reload.

dw1784
02-09-2007, 5:16 PM
think of it as you're saving money by reloading for the next poker game:D

Wulf
02-09-2007, 5:51 PM
heh.. after a while, the Obsessive compulsive may eventually wane a bit and you will start placing your 40 ammo in the bullet boxes since you'll load more. I used to put my ammo in those boxes until I started making more than the boxes will carry. I found that a box of 500 - 40 cal bullets fits about 200-250 rounds of loaded 40 ammo. They stack nicer too.

Vince

I've got a couple of those Dillon Border Shift Bags. They're about the size of 8 or so boxes of ammo and will easily hold a thousand rounds of 45....certianly more than you should carry....although the bag is surely sturdy enough for the task.

phish
02-09-2007, 9:31 PM
How do you like the T-7? I have to do a bit of work loading 6.5 Swede ammo in my Harrell's. I have to push up on the sleeve on my Forster die to extract the completed round.

I do like the fact you can set up one Redding turret for up to 3 rifle calibers, plus a decapping die if desired, not to mention enough clearance for those longer rounds.

ocabj
02-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I have the T-7 setup for .45ACP, 9mm, and a Lee Universal Decapping die. It's a good, high quality press.

I load all my rifle on a RCBS Rockchucker fitted with the Hornady Lock-N-Load bushing conversion kit. The Lock-N-Load bushing setup is a very convenient method of reloading lots of different calibers.

sargenv
02-09-2007, 10:16 PM
My problem is that I have 1 border shift ammo bag and I reload for... several calibers/power levels. Let's see:

9mm 124 RN
38 super 135 RN loaded to Major for IPSC
40 S&W Minor Plated (Sig 229 or Glock 35 Production loads)
40 S&W 140 gr Minor RN (revolver loads)
40 S&W Major loaded long (Para P16 Major IPSC loads)
40 S&W Major Loaded short (Glock 35 Limited 10 loads)
38 special Minor ammo for IPSC/ICORE

So it's just easier for me to load as much as I can and then box them into lots of 200 to 250 rounds to bring to matches. For the 40 S&W Minor 140 RN loads and the 38 special minor ammo, I load a thousand or more rounds and just drop them from the loader basket (Dillon 650, the little blue thing holds about 200 rounds) into a 2 gallon bucket until I have about a month to a month and a half supply of ammo for matches and practice. Last year I burned up 12k rounds in 40 S&W minor for IPSC and ICORE. This year will no doubt be similar but split between 38 special and 40 S&W (627 and 610). If I had to load all those bullets into 100 round plastic boxes, I think I'd go nuts :D

Vince

anyracoon
02-10-2007, 6:08 AM
Berrys has a good selection of those shell boxes, I bought alot of them in years past but only use the 100 count boxes for load development now. The stuff either goes into foam trays, stripper clips or boxes. By the way Harbor Tool & Freight has nice black cotton tool bags in 2 different sizes that work great for range bags.

Wulf
02-10-2007, 6:43 AM
My problem is that I have 1 border shift ammo bag and I reload for... several calibers/power levels.

You're allowed to buy additional one's you know. ;)

I really like them because the give you a head start on the brass sorting issue.

I had one for 45, bought a second for 10mm. Then I gave my dad a 1000 rounds of 45 in a bag for christmas a few years ago. I've been using the box bucket trick for 10mm for the last few years. I finally figured I wasnt getting the bag back till I inherit it so I just bought another bag for 10mm.