PDA

View Full Version : A thought about LG registration and OLL's

IGOTDIRT4U
10-10-2011, 4:02 PM
If and when it becomes law and withstands any challenges, would it be to our best interests to voluntarily register our previously purchased OLL rifles?

The strategy here would be to put pressure on LEO to acknowledge them and the numbers of them.

Wolverine
10-10-2011, 4:08 PM
You can do that now if you wish using the voluntary registration.

ETA: Eventually (10+ years?) when a significant number of rifles that LEO come in contact with are registered there might be an advantage to having yours registered. It's like that with handguns now. Some LEO don't realize that handguns don't need to be registered and finding one raises their suspicions unnecessarily. It is also possible that further legislation will carve out new regulations that distinguish between registered and unregistered long arms. Kind of like the penalty for unlicensed concealed carry now distinguishes between registered and unregistered handguns or the requirement that LTC handguns be registered to LTC holder.

bwiese
10-10-2011, 4:08 PM
OLL rifles are normal, legal unrestricted rifles just like Rem 700s, regular-stocked Mini14s, 10/22s, etc.
An OLL rifle showing up on an LEO's MDT screen may possibly avert drama.
But OLL drama is quite rare now, esp. considering the number of OLL rifles out there now - and in frequent use.
Really, it's a matter of your personal discretion. For numerous reasons, there will not be any 'clawbacks' like
past SKS-style fiasco, etc.
.Dep
Depending on fees and your discretionary income, you are free to register as many sheetmetal items as you wish :-)

hoffmang
10-10-2011, 6:08 PM
I do believe that volregging your OLL could have some... interesting... benefits.

-Gene

WDE91
10-10-2011, 6:20 PM
I do believe that volregging your OLL could have some... interesting... benefits.

-Gene

Gene I sure am glad you are on our side :)

6172crew
10-10-2011, 6:56 PM
I have a few OLLs and will most likely throw a few of them on the volreg list just in case. I already own NFA items and a few handguns bought after the 90s so no harm as far as i can see.

Id like to try to get the AUGA3 on that list, then I can bring it back into the state. Right now I don't need a headache so I kept out of state next to my tax stamps.

Like Bill said, the drama has gone down because a lot more Cops are on this forum(or were scolded by cgf) and know the law but there can always be one that will pull the ol' "Is that registered to you?" trick on me and I will have the OB Wan wave for them.

safewaysecurity
10-10-2011, 6:56 PM

-Gene

Assault Weapon related? That's what I'm guessing.

Ubermcoupe
10-10-2011, 6:59 PM

:mnl: I would be stoked.

6172crew
10-10-2011, 6:59 PM
On a side note, if everyone volreg every OLL we would know know how many we managed to get in under Iggys and Allisons watch.:D

timdps
10-10-2011, 9:01 PM

-Gene

Just let us know when to begin...:43:

77bawls
10-10-2011, 9:11 PM
So I take it the long gun registration bill passed?
I see that the uoc bill went through, what about the ammo registration?

oldrifle
10-10-2011, 9:12 PM
I don't see how "volregging" an OLL rifle can make it a RAW. If the AWB was in effect when you built it, it can never be a RAW, correct?

Cokebottle
10-10-2011, 9:15 PM
So I take it the long gun registration bill passed?
I see that the uoc bill went through, what about the ammo registration?
Son of AB962 was the only one that was vetoed.

This year.

Don't expect DeLeon and his cronies to give up. He got it to Brown's desk this year. Fully expect him to be taking JB to lunch to find out what his objections are and how he can rewrite it to pass a veto.

bden
10-10-2011, 9:36 PM
Depending on fees and your discretionary income, you are free to register as many sheetmetal items as you wish :-)

What is this "sheetmetal" stuff you keep referencing?

-Gene

Care to elaborate on that?

I should add that I feel we are in good hands with you guys on our corner. Many thanks! :thumbsup:

hoffmang
10-10-2011, 9:38 PM
Care to elaborate on that?

Not yet, but soon.

-Gene

oldrifle
10-10-2011, 9:44 PM
Not yet, but soon.

-Gene

Ah. Cool :)

smogcity
10-11-2011, 5:11 AM
If someone had more than one AR lower, would volreging one of them that would be the "home defence" long gun be the thing to do?

halifax
10-11-2011, 5:38 AM
Should we be expecting a roster for long guns next. It's only logical. Some long guns aren't "safe" either, you know.

IGOTDIRT4U
10-11-2011, 7:17 AM

Kinda where I was going, too. The cousin to AW reg is a reg'd OLL.

Ubermcoupe
10-11-2011, 7:29 AM
Not yet, but soon.

-Gene

ahhh. Tease ;)

Should we be expecting a roster for long guns next. It's only logical. Some long guns aren't "safe" either, you know.
I wouldn't put it past 'em. :(

Mesa Tactical
10-11-2011, 7:43 AM
Why stop at OLLs? I, personally, have a metric boatload of .22s and other rifles that could benefit from lawful registration.

Wherryj
10-11-2011, 9:36 AM
You can do that now if you wish using the voluntary registration.

ETA: Eventually (10+ years?) when a significant number of rifles that LEO come in contact with are registered there might be an advantage to having yours registered. It's like that with handguns now. Some LEO don't realize that handguns don't need to be registered and finding one raises their suspicions unnecessarily. It is also possible that further legislation will carve out new regulations that distinguish between registered and unregistered long arms. Kind of like the penalty for unlicensed concealed carry now distinguishes between registered and unregistered handguns or the requirement that LTC handguns be registered to LTC holder.

You might want to register your rifles, after all if you are caught with one stuffed down the front of your pants-and it isn't registered-you might get the higher charge for unlicensed concealed carry...

WDE91
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Gene says :twoweeks: :D

ohlone
10-11-2011, 1:24 PM
i thought about the same thing... a roster for long gun maybe is coming in the not so near future... since those lawmakers will need votes once couple years... and will there be single shot long gun if the roster thing really happens?

model63
10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Not yet, but soon.

-Gene

hmmm.....

Wondering if we are able to draw a comparison between RAW and OLL with some having BB's and some not and then saying well look why do I need a BB at all when these are fundamentally the same thing and therefore WTH do we need Appendix B or even Appendix A?

Registered is 'Registered', no?

Am I incorrect in assuming that RAW do not need BB's? would this mean that everything except Colt AR-15's (due to naming rights?) might make the cut? Fundamentally what is the CADOJ treating different about RAW's that are registered vs. all of these others that are soon going to be? They can't be profiling or watching those folks any more closely outside of the terms of transfer of those said firearms... so what purpose does it serve going forward?

nukechaser
10-12-2011, 5:57 AM
Not yet, but soon.

-Gene

:lurk5:

NorCalDustin
10-12-2011, 9:24 AM

-Gene
Interesting... You'll have to let us all know as soon as you can. :)

Just let us know when to begin...:43:
hehehe

bigb0886
10-12-2011, 9:47 AM
As far as a long gun roster goes, doesn't that open the door for a new registration period allowing our OLL's to be RAWs? Or is that only when they change the existing "assault weapon" index or whatever list it is that names certain rifles?

bigb0886
10-12-2011, 9:49 AM
And yes Gene, please let us know when to volreg...I might even just pick up a stripped lower or two and register it right now actually

jrr
10-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Hmm..... wasn't there a district court case a while back where the court held that a guy who had papers showing his rifle was "registered" at time of purchase satisfied the aw laws, even though he wasn't in the database of aws and didn't have his aw registration letter?

Applying that logic, mandatory registration could undo the entire awb....

Cokebottle
10-12-2011, 5:10 PM
As far as a long gun roster goes, doesn't that open the door for a new registration period allowing our OLL's to be RAWs?
Separate issue.

Just as it is not a crime to own or PPT an off-roster handgun, the same would apply to long guns. The roster is not criminalization, it is simply an attempted ban on new purchases by non-LE.

Opening the door for a new reg period for OLLs is what Brandon and I were talking about when he said they "can't" touch OLL.
They can, but that would open a new window and everyone gets to toss their BBs.

But they could attempt to pass a Long Gun roster that would effectively ban the sale of all but a select few SA/CF (they wouldn't dare go after lever/bolt/rimfire) rifles and ban stripped lowers.

Cokebottle
10-12-2011, 5:11 PM
And yes Gene, please let us know when to volreg...I might even just pick up a stripped lower or two and register it right now actually
Hold off until details are revealed.

There may be an advantage in registering a lower as a specific centerfire caliber rather than "Multi".

bigb0886
10-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Oh okay. That makes sense. Thanks, Cokebottle.

Cokebottle
10-13-2011, 4:10 PM
Ya, I don't know one way or the other, but it seems every time "the right people" have something planned, it is about 145 degrees off from where everyone thought it would go.

Which is why I suggest waiting. I've got three AR's, two in 5.56 and one in .22lr, that I'll spend the $60 to VolReg at the drop of a hat when the word is given.

chead
10-13-2011, 5:40 PM
on fees and your discretionary income, you are free to register as many sheetmetal items as you wish :-)

Aha I see what you did there! *zippers mouth shut*

Fjold
10-13-2011, 5:57 PM
Interesting, it looks like I need to order another 6 pack of OLLs. Are the Black Rifle guys in Sacramento giving the discounts for bulk orders?

scootle
10-13-2011, 6:26 PM

There may be an advantage in registering a lower as a specific centerfire caliber rather than "Multi".

it's interesting that you mention this... many OLLs are stamped as "Multi" -- so will that play into things? (e.g. my CalGuns OLL is stamped as "Multi")

can't wait to hear what is cooking. ;)

Disgruntled Gunny
10-13-2011, 6:29 PM
Tagged

Cokebottle
10-13-2011, 8:31 PM
it's interesting that you mention this... many OLLs are stamped as "Multi" -- so will that play into things? (e.g. my CalGuns OLL is stamped as "Multi")

can't wait to hear what is cooking. ;)
Aha....

But a VolReg is for either a handgun or a rifle/long gun.

A stripped lower is neither ;)

IGOTDIRT4U
10-14-2011, 9:09 AM

:D

See now why I posted the question? Between RAW issues and ammo bans, this law can actually be a tool for us.

NorCalDustin
10-14-2011, 6:05 PM
Ya, I don't know one way or the other, but it seems every time "the right people" have something planned, it is about 145 degrees off from where everyone thought it would go.

Which is why I suggest waiting. I've got three AR's, two in 5.56 and one in .22lr, that I'll spend the $60 to VolReg at the drop of a hat when the word is given.
Same.

Jedediah Munroe
10-25-2011, 8:17 AM
There are multiple never ending discussions on Calguns regarding potential OLL status of multiple Colt models and/or rollmarks. This thread mentions that VolReg could help diffuse problems with a LEO encounter. Besides fears of future confiscation and cost, is there any reason Not to VolReg a Colt OLL for this reason?

wash
10-25-2011, 8:39 AM
It might also cure some confusion with Rock River OLLs.

AaronHorrocks
10-25-2011, 8:42 AM
is there any reason Not to VolReg a Colt OLL for this reason?

Itís the principle that matters.

dantodd
10-25-2011, 9:09 AM
If Long Gun registration is passed into law and someone who is not immersed in gun law as those on this board are buys an AR-15, he now owns a registered AR-15. It is not unreasonable to assert that a law differentiating between a Registered AR-15 pre-2000 and a registered AR-15 post-2000 where both arms are considered "registered" by the state is very difficult for the average person to understand and may even be said to be vague.

Cokebottle
10-25-2011, 4:15 PM
If Long Gun registration is passed into law and someone who is not immersed in gun law as those on this board are buys an AR-15, he now owns a registered AR-15. It is not unreasonable to assert that a law differentiating between a Registered AR-15 pre-2000 and a registered AR-15 post-2000 where both arms are considered "registered" by the state is very difficult for the average person to understand and may even be said to be vague.
:rolleyes: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/innocent.gif :eek: :jump:

oni.dori
10-25-2011, 4:19 PM
Not yet, but soon.

-Gene

Every time I see you say this, I immediately get a picture of Mr. Burns doing his "finger pyramid" thing, saying "excellent...". Don't know why, but I do.

Write Winger
10-25-2011, 4:27 PM
Uncinstitutionally vague strikes again!!!!!!!