PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors in state law

Tier One Arms
10-10-2011, 1:09 PM
Where is the specific law making it illegal to posses a suppressor in California? Or is it part of the assault weapons ban?

Thanks

Smokeybehr
10-10-2011, 1:15 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12500.php

MarkXXIII
10-10-2011, 1:16 PM
I think it's here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12500.php

doh beat by a min

Tier One Arms
10-10-2011, 1:17 PM
This was only passed in 2008? Were suppressors legal to own before then?

bwiese
10-10-2011, 1:24 PM
FFL+SOT can have suppressors.

Tier One Arms
10-10-2011, 1:27 PM
Do I need a "dangerous weapons" permit as well?

Ubermcoupe
10-10-2011, 1:32 PM
Do I need a "dangerous weapons" permit as well?

Not necessarily, but if you wanted to mount that suppressor on something other than a SS pistol it would help ;)

Librarian
10-10-2011, 1:40 PM
This was only passed in 2008? Were suppressors legal to own before then?

That was the copy of dangerous weapons laws issued by DOJ in 2008 - not the new laws for 2008. Without Lexis or West's in hand I can't say for sure, but I'd guess it was in the 1940's.

ke6guj
10-10-2011, 1:41 PM
Do I need a "dangerous weapons" permit as well?other than an LEA/.mil agency, only those FFLs with an SOT can possess silencers in CA. There is no DW permit needed from CADOJ to possess those silencers. There is no DW permit available to allow a non FFL+SOT to possess a silencer.

Not necessarily, but if you wanted to mount that suppressor on something other than a SS pistol it would help ;)
or just use an alternative attachment method that does not use a threaded barrel.

Tier One Arms
10-10-2011, 1:47 PM
Great I am a FFL, so if I pay the $500 SOT, and buy the suppressor as demonstration model for the LEO's in my city, can I keep the suppressor the following year even if I dont pay the SOT?

ke6guj
10-10-2011, 1:50 PM
nope, once your SOT expires, you are no longer exempt from the law. You would need to get rid of the suppressor before you SOT expired.

Tier One Arms
10-10-2011, 1:55 PM
Thanks for the help. Any chance that we are going to have the 2008 Dangerous Weapons Control Law challenged in court?

winxp_man
10-10-2011, 3:12 PM
^^^^^ in :twoweeks: :D :D

Librarian
10-10-2011, 4:44 PM
Thanks for the help. Any chance that we are going to have the 2008 Dangerous Weapons Control Law challenged in court?

Good heavens, no!

The "Dangerous Weapons Control Law" is a whole section of the Penal Code - the new numbering is 16000 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/16000.html) through 34370.

There is no law which can be described as "2008 Dangerous Weapons Control Law", but there were amendments to the Penal Code which took effect in 2008 and applied to firearms.

The piece of documentation referred to in this thread is more properly "The state of California Firearms Law as effective January 1, 2008". The DOJ website has it here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/. It's a 'snapshot' of the PC as it existed.

Tier One Arms
10-10-2011, 6:01 PM
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I would like to someday own a suppressor registered to me, will this ever be possible in California?

6172crew
10-10-2011, 7:01 PM
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I would like to someday own a suppressor registered to me, will this ever be possible in California?

As of a year or so ago CGF said that would be the easiest of the NFA to argue in court. I have a few myself and would love to have them in CA.

Librarian
10-10-2011, 7:03 PM
That's a perfectly sensible thing to want - challenging that is fairly low on the legal agenda, so 'if' and 'when' are not yet known.

NorCalK9.com
10-10-2011, 7:23 PM

Seems like the more i'm on calguns the more I wanna move out of this state! Maybe if we all abandon this state the D's liberals n welfare recipients oh and tree hugger vegetarian non working drug dealers can all live in peace and so can we.

Tier One Arms
10-10-2011, 7:32 PM
Hey, I'm vegetarian! But I'm no tree hugger, haha

Experimentalist
10-10-2011, 7:47 PM
I know this question has been asked before, but I'll ask it again.

Can I own a Suppressor, and keep it out of State (e.g. with my parents in Nevada or Oregon)?

It would be a useful solution, and give me one more reason to visit the folks.

Thanks in advance.

formerTexan
10-10-2011, 10:03 PM

Can I own a Suppressor, and keep it out of State (e.g. with my parents in Nevada or Oregon)?

Thanks in advance.

You can form a trust in OR or NV, then transfer the NFA item into that trust. I know that trusts are used in OR, even though Multnomah county sheriff (People's Republik of Portland is in that county) will sign, it takes forever, so many in the area go the trust route.

I suspect a suppressor is only the beginning, as all other Title II items are good to go in OR as well, MGs, SBRs, SBSs, and AOWs oh my!

Munk
10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
It would be nice if they were made legal again. Poaching is rarely detected via the audible sound of a firearm anyhow (which was the original "intent" behind it).

Suppressors make for good neighbors. Some guns are damn silent with them as well (ruger 22/45's and Mark type guns just click when the action slams, don't even need special ammo) which makes for even more neighborly shooting.

NeuTag
10-11-2011, 12:44 AM
It would be nice if they were made legal again. Poaching is rarely detected via the audible sound of a firearm anyhow (which was the original "intent" behind it).

Suppressors make for good neighbors. Some guns are damn silent with them as well (ruger 22/45's and Mark type guns just click when the action slams, don't even need special ammo) which makes for even more neighborly shooting.
My sister is having problems with a neighbor practice shooting. She lives on the 'high plains of America' in Colo. I recommended she start asking her state to allow silencers for target shooting and ask the fellow in the meantime to use a muffled shooting station like the range at Stevens Creek reservoir uses. I think its the Los Gatos Rod and Gun club.

These devices were first designed for target shooting as a noise control method in the late 19th century. They are not that silent. I would use compressed air cylinder weapons as Lewis & Clark used than a silenced firearm to poach or assassinate someone.

Kharn
10-11-2011, 1:53 AM
Suppressors make for good neighbors. Some guns are damn silent with them as well (ruger 22/45's and Mark type guns just click when the action slams, don't even need special ammo) which makes for even more neighborly shooting.I'd love one of those Hollywood-quiet suppressors. My Spectre on my Ruger MkII (see avatar) still lets everyone know a gun is being fired, its just safe to shoot it without hearing protection, and you do need to buy subsonic ammo as the 4.5" barrel will allow a percentage of bulk pack high velocity rounds to go supersonic (and the noise from one of those will startle the heck out of you when you're expecting subsonic). The Spectre has been considered the best .22lr suppressor for several years. On my 10/22 SBR, its 5.5" barrel will send maybe 30-40% of bulk pack ammo supersonic so I always wear hearing protection with it. Its a trade off between enough barrel length to cycle and short enough to prevent supersonic flight.
My sister is having problems with a neighbor practice shooting. She lives on the 'high plains of America' in Colo. I recommended she start asking her state to allow silencers for target shooting and ask the fellow in the meantime to use a muffled shooting station like the range at Stevens Creek reservoir uses. I think its the Los Gatos Rod and Gun club. Suppressors are legal in CO.

cmaynes
10-11-2011, 6:31 AM
A suppressor cannot lower the velocity of a supersonic projectile to a subsonic one.

ke6guj
10-11-2011, 7:03 AM
A suppressor cannot lower the velocity of a supersonic projectile to a subsonic one.

an add-on suppressor can't, but an integral suppressor can, with barrel porting.

Doheny
10-11-2011, 7:12 AM
Did anyone hear Brian Suits on the radio a couple of weeks ago? He stated he had just received a suppressor in the mail and he was going to post video of it in use on his site. I haven't checked yet to see if he has done so.

pgg
10-11-2011, 7:30 PM

Thanks in advance.

Yes. My brother and I formed a NFA trust a while ago. Since I moved to California, all the CA-contraband stays with him in Arizona.

You'll have to form a trust with one or both of your parents as co-trustees, provided they are willing and aren't prohibited persons. They will have to conduct the actual transactions to acquire the NFA items in their state. As a trustee, you can possess and use the items while visiting them, and they do not have to be present.

Then when CA legalizes suppressors, you can bring the trust's collection into CA the next day, make your friends jealous, and then laugh as they have to wait for 5 or 8 months to get their own.

epilepticninja
10-11-2011, 7:38 PM
Rhetorical question, but please help me out on this one. Exactly how does a suppressor make a gun...more dangerous? I've been around plenty of suppressed weapons. Contrary to Hollywood's b.s., you can still hear the gun going off, it just doesn't deafen you like an unsupressed weapon does.

Experimentalist
10-11-2011, 7:40 PM
Wow... all of a sudden, with the sound of a single word, my disposable income for the next 2 decades got sucked away. "Trust".

yellowfin
10-11-2011, 7:56 PM
Exactly how does a suppressor make a gun...more dangerous? It makes it more pleasant and less intimidating to shoot, which makes more people like them. Anti gun people don't want guns to be more pleasant and less intimidating, they want fewer gun owners which is why they have all the laws to deter gun ownership and hence their hate of suppressors.

tenbender
10-12-2011, 3:33 AM
^^+1^^

epilepticninja
10-12-2011, 6:04 PM
It makes it more pleasant and less intimidating to shoot, which makes more people like them. Anti gun people don't want guns to be more pleasant and less intimidating, they want fewer gun owners which is why they have all the laws to deter gun ownership and hence their hate of suppressors.

Ah, ok. Makes perfect sense. :)

Cokebottle
10-12-2011, 6:06 PM
As of a year or so ago CGF said that would be the easiest of the NFA to argue in court. I have a few myself and would love to have them in CA.
But I still like Gene's comparison of going after the NFA in light of MacDonald :D

Munk
10-12-2011, 6:51 PM
I'd love one of those Hollywood-quiet suppressors. My Spectre on my Ruger MkII (see avatar) still lets everyone know a gun is being fired, its just safe to shoot it without hearing protection, and you do need to buy subsonic ammo as the 4.5" barrel will allow a percentage of bulk pack high velocity rounds to go supersonic (and the noise from one of those will startle the heck out of you when you're expecting subsonic). The Spectre has been considered the best .22lr suppressor for several years. On my 10/22 SBR, its 5.5" barrel will send maybe 30-40% of bulk pack ammo supersonic so I always wear hearing protection with it. Its a trade off between enough barrel length to cycle and short enough to prevent supersonic flight.
Suppressors are legal in CO.

When I visited with a family friend in texas who had one, he used bulk-pack ammo with his, and it was slightly quieter than his high-powered airgun. I've never had so much fun in someone else's back yard.

He later got some type of FA .223 that I wasn't familiar with, had a .22lr conversion kit installed, and the barrel threaded so he could use the same suppressor on both firearms. I've not been out to play with it yet, but his videos look like a freaking blast.

(all metal suppressor model that he chose was able to withstand FA fire for a couple magazines without issue).

cmaynes
10-12-2011, 6:54 PM
an add-on suppressor can't, but an integral suppressor can, with barrel porting.

the only ones I have seen that were really effective are the MP5SD- it is also intended to use supersonic loads- at least so the HK Reps claim...

Anything in .45 though is subsonic out of the box-

the quietest suppressed weapon I have ever used was the DeLisle Carbine- THAT is a quiet weapon..... (its in 45ACP as well)

cmaynes
10-12-2011, 6:55 PM
Wow... all of a sudden, with the sound of a single word, my disposable income for the next 2 decades got sucked away. "Trust".

the Trust route will only work in state if you are an SOT though....