PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a centerfire pistol for my 9 year old?

lwlaml
10-10-2011, 2:01 PM
Hey board,

My son has become a very good shooter with .22 carbines and pistols. I'd like to introduce him to a larger caliber but I think 9mm Luger may still be a bit much.

What's the next step up in caliber? Also would like it to be a common caliber that's readily available and offered in more than one or two handgun models.

Thanks for your input!

Lester

RedFord150
10-10-2011, 2:12 PM
.38 Special revolver with the lightest wadcutters you can find.
You can also buy him a .357 mag and load it with .38 Special wadcutters. The .357 will probably be heavier, but easier on the recoil.
Good luck.

DRAB_81
10-10-2011, 2:13 PM
I think 9mm is going to be your best bet. For a semi-auto, I'd go with a compact polymer frame 9. They are inexpensive, absorb recoil better than steel IMO, and there are a go'zillion to chose from. Also, ammo is WAY cheaper than .380 or .32 Auto, and recoils less in most available guns in those calibers. Another one you might think about is a medium sized .38 Special revolver, like the Ruger SP101. If you reload, another thing you can do is customize your ammo to have the level of recoil he can handle.

junkit_boy
10-10-2011, 2:21 PM
9mm with a long barrel like a Sig 226 or Beretta 92 , or 380 Cougar or Sig 232

Im sure your son will be happy with whatever his Dad gives him. :)

esartori
10-10-2011, 2:24 PM
.38 Special revolver with the lightest wadcutters you can find.
You can also buy him a .357 mag and load it with .38 Special wadcutters. The .357 will probably be heavier, but easier on the recoil.
Good luck.

I agree with this. Just load up some cheap .38 sp and it'll be a great transition into centerfire. Not only that, but he can learn the basics and a quality revolver will last him forever. When he's ready for hotter loads, you don't have to buy a new gun, you can just load up some hotter .38's or some .357's. I would say that is your best route. Maybe a Smith or Ruger in the smaller to medium frame size.

orangeusa
10-10-2011, 2:33 PM
9mm with a long barrel like a Sig 226 or Beretta 92 , or 380 Cougar or Sig 232

Im sure your son will be happy with whatever his Dad gives him. :)

Cougar doesn't come in a .380 (It's the metal predecessor to the PX4). Did you mean the Cheetah? If so, they are great guns, but man, for some reason, they are really pricy..

I like the revolver concept. 38 spl is a very nice round in a K/L sized handgun. Or you could go with a single action "cowboy" gun. Some of the older Rugers are really inexpensive. Plus this will keep him busy loading, shooting, unloading, loading, shooting, unloading.. :)

Or a DAO semiauto - they usually are a lot cheaper than the equivalent DA/SA..

Just dont' get him a Sigma... If semi-auto - look at Ruger P95. Great gun at an amazing price.

wash
10-10-2011, 2:36 PM
Look at police trade in Glock 17's.

You wouldn't have to worry about him breaking it and no collector value.

It's also big enough that recoil should be manageable.

Lots of easy upgrades if he wants to increase the accuracy.

billybob_jcv
10-10-2011, 2:40 PM
I think there is a case that can be made for an SA or DA revolver with a decent length barrel. It might help him shoot slower, making the shots count instead of just blazing away with a semi auto (boys will be boys!) Of course, buying him an SA revolver now will pretty much guarantee he will be longing for a semi auto in the not too distant future!

Jeez, I think I was just channeling my father - he bought me a single shot 22 as my first gun because "he didn't want me wasting ammo". AAAAHHHHH!!!! :p

Bug Splat
10-10-2011, 3:00 PM
357 revo loaded with light 38spl is a great option. If semi-autos are his thing than any 9mm pistol with a smaller grip like XD or Kahr CW9 or CZ75. Glocks might be too big for his hands. Take him to a shop and have him hold a few to see what fits.

lwlaml
10-10-2011, 3:19 PM
Great ideas guys. I should clarify that I'm thinking about an auto since we shoot steel matches. I load 9mm and .45 now (he helps) so loading a softer load is a great idea!

I'll load up some 9mm at the "starting loads" and take him out with the CZ.

Thanks!

hkdad
10-10-2011, 3:22 PM
my son is 10yrs old and he likes shooting my Glock 19. i reload so i can tinker with the power factor. he started shooting with powder puff loads, now he is comfortable with factory loaded ammo.

esartori
10-10-2011, 3:44 PM
Great ideas guys. I should clarify that I'm thinking about an auto since we shoot steel matches. I load 9mm and .45 now (he helps) so loading a softer load is a great idea!

I'll load up some 9mm at the "starting loads" and take him out with the CZ.

Thanks!

In that case, disregard my first post. I agree that a CZ in 9mm should be about perfect as it has enough heft to keep the recoil down and a nice sized grip. :)

Caladain
10-10-2011, 3:53 PM
Glock or XD...whichever fits better in his hand.

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 4:14 PM
A 1911 in 9mm. Get him a gun that he will think is bad *** and be able to use until his kids are 9, then he can give it to them.

lwlaml
10-10-2011, 4:20 PM
+1 I like this idea. Did I mention I have three sons: 9, 5, and 3. It will get passed down, and down, and down...

Lster

A 1911 in 9mm. Get him a gun that he will think is bad *** and be able to use until his kids are 9, then he can give it to them.

JeremyS
10-10-2011, 4:32 PM
I'll load up some 9mm at the "starting loads" and take him out with the CZ
Maybe pick up a light recoil spring from CZCustom and then you can make some real light loads, at least to start with, and it'll still cycle reliably. The factory rubber grips might be too big on the gun though? They're pretty thick on my SP-01, and the trigger reach is far for a lot of people. I usually wear an XL glove and found the grips thicker than I wanted. VZ grips made a huge difference for me, and the thin aluminum ones like from CZ Custom are very popular too.

...and there are some .380's that are compact to full-size, all-steel guns that might work well... or C&R Makarov caliber pistols (9x18 shoots like .380) that are inexpensive and typically good for smaller hands.

morrcarr67
10-10-2011, 4:49 PM
I have been out shooting many times where I've seen younger people (kids between the ages of 9-13) shooting 9MM or larger guns and not having fun with them. That could be bad. You always want them to be comfortable and having fun so they will stay with the hobby/sport of firearms.

That being said. One of the guns I always take to the range with me is my CZ-50. It is chambered in .32ACP/7.65Browning. This gun is a blast to shot and very accurate to boot. I have let many young people shoot this gun and the response has always been the same. They liked it more than their parents bigger guns.

Here is a picture of one:

http://www.espolson.com/wp-content//107644881.jpg

They are C&R and roster exempt. You can find them on GB for about $200 - $250.

sundayduffer
10-10-2011, 4:54 PM
wow...shouldnt a 9 yr-old be involved in swimming, baseball, soccer ???? dont y'all think that's too young to be surrounded with firearms???

morrcarr67
10-10-2011, 4:58 PM
wow...shouldnt a 9 yr-old be involved in swimming, baseball, soccer ???? dont y'all think that's too young to be surrounded with firearms???

Not at all. I know someone that started shooting at the age of 5.

With the proper training and guidance he shouldn't have any trouble.

BTW, I know adults that should NOT be any where around firearms, swimming, baseball or soccer.

hkdad
10-10-2011, 5:05 PM
Not at all. I know someone that started shooting at the age of 5.

With the proper training and guidance he shouldn't have any trouble.

BTW, I know adults that should NOT be any where around firearms, swimming, baseball or soccer.

this is true! haha :D sometimes my 10yr old son has more common sense than certain adults.

ElvenSoul
10-10-2011, 5:07 PM
I don't think there would be a problem with 9mm. Get him a Beretta PX4 Pistol and CX4 Carbine. That should carry him till his late teens.

Q619
10-10-2011, 5:10 PM
Either a 9mm 1911 like tge SA "Loaded" or a S&W M&P 9mm. Two of the slimmest guns out there with very mild recoil.

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 5:14 PM

OMFG.... I was 3 or 4 when I was introduced to firearms. The sooner the better. Now, please don't be a troll. Learn from what people are about to flame to you.

Arisaka
10-10-2011, 5:31 PM
Just read the title and had to pop in to say that the OP is awesome!

lwlaml
10-10-2011, 5:33 PM
He does it all (not soccer) and has great grades.

I'd rather he shoot steel matches with me than sit in front of Call of Duty. But we do both. :)

Lester

billybob_jcv
10-10-2011, 5:47 PM
I think one of the problems today is that they are NOT taught about firearms when they are young. The worst thing that can happen is if their only experience with guns is from video games, or even worse, older kids on the street.

I think I was about 10 when my Dad let me shoot his 30" Winchester model 12 with a 3" load. D@mn thing almost tore my arm off - but I can tell you that after that I had NO desire to touch that cannon when he wasn't around. I was all too happy to stick with my .22!

Spyder
10-10-2011, 5:48 PM
Awesome dad!! Mine got me in to shooting early, and my cousin gave me his single shot 20 gauge shotgun when I was 12, since he upgraded to an 870. I still have it, with the brass plaque on the side he had put on it for me. Way cool to get the kids started early.

Distro
10-10-2011, 5:49 PM

You could always let him kick a soccer ball in the air and treat it as a clay pigeon. Or put a baseball on a tee at about 10 yards and let him shoot it off. Huge time saver.

Also teaching someone at a young age makes them realizes the power of firearms, and how being irresponsible around them is not a good thing. They learn to respect them instead of fear them.

JeremyS
10-10-2011, 6:37 PM
He does it all (not soccer)...
Oh good. Euro sissy sport, that.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/funny-awesome-photos-19.jpg?w=500&h=265

Kidding, kidding.

Or am I?

Anyway it's cool to know that firearms safety and enjoyment can start so young, and I'm sure it can help explain the concept of maturity since they are to be taken so seriously and used with such care.

billybob_jcv
10-10-2011, 8:42 PM
When my kids were young, I thought soccer was a great sport. They ran around in circles for the entire game, so they would come home completely tuckered out. If they would have just let me bring an ice chest full of miller lite to the games, it would have been perfect... :p

MrBrent
10-10-2011, 9:44 PM
My kids fight over who gets to shoot my Sig232. Ammo (380acp) was hard to come by recently but it has come back and the price has come down. I purchased this as a police trade in. Night sights still bright and the rubber grip. Nice little gun!! Fun to shoot. My only issue is the mag release on the bottom of the grip.

http://gkosin.smugmug.com/photos/918410588_FWyu3-L.jpg

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 10:45 PM
When my kids were young, I thought soccer was a great sport. They ran around in circles for the entire game, so they would come home completely tuckered out. If they would have just let me bring an ice chest full of miller lite to the , it would have been perfect... :p

Anything with that line connected to it, is a good time. :D

old-trapper
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
9mm

Munk
10-10-2011, 11:19 PM
A fullsized 9mm. Get him a 92FS if you can, or a CZ, or even a 1911 in 9mm.

The extra mass of the large size will eat up the recoil. Getting a brigadier slide on the 92 will add more mass and soften things up a bit. The CZ's are nice all around, i'm just not as familiar with the variants.

Most of the plastic guns have felt sharper to me than the alloy/steel/aluminum guns. However, the FN's series of 9mm and .40's are pretty nice and one of them is on my shortlist for future pickups.

I've been shooting since I was six, got started with shotguns at 8 and was shooting .44mag (Full loads, no specials, though we did have some around in the event our hands weren't up to the mag that day) by 10.

kelley_aj
10-11-2011, 7:12 AM
Managing recoil is the biggest thing. I started my son, 12 at the time, with the Ruger single six. He quickly went to the Browning HP and is his favorite. He really likes my 1911 in .45acp, but due to coast I do not let him shoot it that much. He shoots my M&P .40c but the recoil is harder for him to manage than the 1911. A standard size 9mm would be perfect. A Glock that could work it's way down through the family would be a great choice.