PDA

View Full Version : Help picking first AR-15,or possibly two.

judgedrift
10-10-2011, 1:24 PM
I have narrowed my choices to the LMT CQB MRP Defender Model 16. But here, the thing, due to my one year old son and my current job schedule I wont be able to hit the range for a long time. I see that LMT sells lowers as well. Since my wife likes to go shooting as much as I do I am thinking I should just buy two lowers and slowly build two rifles. We both have different tastes when it comes to rifles. She prefers a target/Varmint configuration while I prefer a defensive carbine/SPR configuration. So here are my questions.

I have no problem buying a stripped lower and building the rifle from the ground up. If I go this route are the any specific lowers that would be better for the types of rifle I am building? I could buy two fully assembled LMT lowers then buy the uppers later. Is there any advantage to this? Or I could just buy the fully assembled rifle a and buy my wifes rifle later on. So what do you guys think I should do.

shooterfpga
10-10-2011, 1:27 PM
seeing as you wont be able to hit the range for a long time. might as well build both of them together. if you build/buy one, youre not gonna use it anyways. ground up or complete lower is up to you.

RRichie09
10-10-2011, 2:04 PM
are the any specific lowers that would be better for the types of rifle I am building?

No

I could buy two fully assembled LMT lowers then buy the uppers later. Is there any advantage to this? Or I could just buy the fully assembled rifle a and buy my wifes rifle later on. So what do you guys think I should do.

The advantage would be that you don't have to pay taxes on anything ordered online (well you do but that's another issue). Everything but the lower receiver is considered just a part so you could order them online and have it shipped directly to your house.

Another advantage is that you can build it with all of the upgrades and parts you want from the beginning instead of replacing parts latter on.

You will also gain a better understanding of the AR platform if you build it.

As far as cost savings... you will more than likely end up spending more due to the tools needed to build an upper and the inevitable extra $5 here and extra $10 there as you order parts that are some how "better" than standard parts.

Personally I enjoy "building" (assembling would be a better word choice) AR's. Its a lot of fun. Basically Lego's for adults.

baih777
10-10-2011, 3:24 PM
LMT for you would be great but i would just buy it complete.
as for your son you might want to build one. ( father and son project ) maybe even a lightweight version.
if your wife likes the varmint version LMT and Daniel defense do not have barrels over 16 inches. you will need to get a RRA or Stag or a custom build. for your wife a nice lower with a two stage trigger and Varmint 20 or 24 inch barrel might be heavy but it sure looks good.
i have a stag 24 inch stainless and it sure is comfortable for bench shooting.
scopes can get expensive
do more research you on the right track

stormy_clothing
10-10-2011, 3:48 PM
don't forget your calguns legal SEARCH BUTTON

h0use
10-10-2011, 3:52 PM
Build it from the ground up. Then you will have eveything you want on your rifle.

TheHammerOfTruth
10-10-2011, 10:59 PM
OP, if you buy 2 LMT lowers then you can buy 2 LMT uppers later and you will have matching upperes and lowers (if that matters to you). If not, you can build from the ground up. It will be worth the cost of the tools if your gonna build more.
Building the uppers will definitely be harder than building the lowers but it's fun.

judgedrift
10-12-2011, 2:09 PM
I am still researching on the tools needed to build a rifle. Does having a matching upper and lower have any effect on performance?

MrPlink
10-12-2011, 2:14 PM
I am still researching on the tools needed to build a rifle. Does having a matching upper and lower have any effect on performance?

no.
Your worst case scenario is if the fit is a little loose you might loose a tiny bit of precision, but not enough to make a difference in practical shooting, and not to forget that it is an issue that is easily solved (if it even bothers you)

a lot of folks think that having play between the upper and lower is a defect, it is not.
a lot of folks also think that you get play when you mix manufacturers, and this is not always true either. Its not rare for there to be play when you have a matched upper and lower.

shooterfpga
10-12-2011, 6:01 PM

you dont need any tools except for a hammer and a punch.

thomasesmith3
10-12-2011, 6:06 PM
you dont need any tools except for a hammer and a punch.

+1, add layers of tape to protect surfaces...

baih777
10-12-2011, 7:07 PM
to assemble a lower;
i use three layers of blue painters tape.
you will need a couple of sizes of punches.
get a bullet button or any other brand of mag lock device

go to ar15.com and you can find instructions there.

if you want the wrench to put on the buffer tube and
lock nut (collapsable stock) they are only $6.00.
buy a upper already assembled or order with the parts you want on it. the upper to lower is only two pins.
some gun stores do have gunsmiths. if you get stuck.
if you post where you are , someone may direct you to one of the better stores in your area.

Bobby Ricigliano
10-13-2011, 5:33 AM
I would buy one factory LMT rifle and then do the homebuild thing as a side project.

judgedrift
10-14-2011, 2:12 PM
Funny thing is my wife saw the LMT Standard Defender Patrol Model 16 in the latest Turners Ad and said she likes it. I knew she doesn't like rails on the hand guard I didn't think she wouldn't mind the thick plastic hand guard. Go figure.

baih777
10-14-2011, 3:17 PM
Sounds like your going to get it this weekend. It is one of the best brands to get. If you are going to shoot at a range you will non-magnetic ammo.