PDA

View Full Version : havign issues with the Pmags!

DirtFarmer916
10-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Currently I'm using the PMAG 10/30's(30 round body but 10 round cap, CA compliant). My Lower and upper are factory S&W MP15 ORC.

I've been looking thru tons of forums and can't seem to find an issue similar to mine. Although it appears that many people have had issues with the pmags working with the MP series.

Here's whats going on.
- In order to get the mag to "stick" into the mag reciver I have to slam it or hit the base of the mag quite hard. Much harder than the std 10 round mag that came with the gun.
- Once the mag is loaded and locked in I can't pull back the charging handle without a ton of force.
- When I finished off a mag (firing all the rounds in the current mag) the bolt carrier stays open, inserting a new pmag and releasing the bolt carrier results in proper functions. it appears the problem occurs when the bolt carrier is closed and I insert a full pmag.
- Inserting a pmag with 8 rounds allows everything to work properly.

So from what I can tell the insert in the pmag that stops me from putting more than 10 rounds in the mag is causing a problem. I noticed when I put the tenth round in the pmag it becomes very hard to do. Almost like the insert is not allowing the rounds to flex enough to allow smooth bolt carrier movement.

Sry if this has been covered. ive read thru countless forums, all seem to involve pmags not fitting. Mine fit, it just doesn't work properly when using fully loaded pmags. My gun is a newer model and I've also read oler models have had problems.

This weekend I plan on trying the mags in a buddies AR15. See if the issue is gun based or magazine based. i was able to work around this weekend but it still left a sour taste in my mouth.

Any idea's?

Merc1138
10-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Either insert the mags with the bolt already to the rear, or load 9 rounds instead of 10. This issue is common with magazines blocked to 10 rounds. The reason being that normally a magazine has a little slack when full so the top round can be pushed down by the closed bolt. It's avoided in 10 round mags because leaving the chance of shoving an 11th round in is something people want to avoid.

You correctly identified the issue, and the workarounds for it already.

VictorFranko
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
↑ Yup, download mags to nine they should load fine.

DirtFarmer916
10-10-2011, 12:02 PM
kk, thanks for confirming what I thought.

SocomM4
10-10-2011, 3:12 PM
Buy mag blocks instead of riveted mags. And avoid this problem by trimming the top of the mag block very slightly . There are 2 Nubs that can be sanded down make it perfect.Although, I haven't heard of anyone needing to trim it, as it works perfectly every time.

The Virus
10-10-2011, 4:13 PM
Currently I'm using the PMAG 10/30's(30 round body but 10 round cap, CA compliant). My Lower and upper are factory S&W MP15 ORC.

I've been looking thru tons of forums and can't seem to find an issue similar to mine. Although it appears that many people have had issues with the pmags working with the MP series.

Here's whats going on.
- In order to get the mag to "stick" into the mag reciver I have to slam it or hit the base of the mag quite hard. Much harder than the std 10 round mag that came with the gun.
- Once the mag is loaded and locked in I can't pull back the charging handle without a ton of force.
- When I finished off a mag (firing all the rounds in the current mag) the bolt carrier stays open, inserting a new pmag and releasing the bolt carrier results in proper functions. it appears the problem occurs when the bolt carrier is closed and I insert a full pmag.
- Inserting a pmag with 8 rounds allows everything to work properly.

So from what I can tell the insert in the pmag that stops me from putting more than 10 rounds in the mag is causing a problem. I noticed when I put the tenth round in the pmag it becomes very hard to do. Almost like the insert is not allowing the rounds to flex enough to allow smooth bolt carrier movement.

Sry if this has been covered. ive read thru countless forums, all seem to involve pmags not fitting. Mine fit, it just doesn't work properly when using fully loaded pmags. My gun is a newer model and I've also read oler models have had problems.

This weekend I plan on trying the mags in a buddies AR15. See if the issue is gun based or magazine based. i was able to work around this weekend but it still left a sour taste in my mouth.

Any idea's?

Seriously?

ahren111
10-10-2011, 4:44 PM
I think the mags are broken!! Give them to me :D

epcii
10-10-2011, 5:32 PM
Probably just tight springs. Is the magazine new? Shoot with them more often.