PDA

View Full Version : glock hating? What does everyone have against polymer?

em9sredbeam
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I keep reading forums where everyone is going back and forth hating on glocks? Whats the deal? It goes bang.. I am not a huge glock fan, for polymer I prefer my xd, but Its still A great gun and it shoots. I have shot plenty and they are great. Its even easier to clean than my 1911, which I love by the way. whats the deal?

Please no replies that will piss people off, only funny posts and informative becasue I really am confused.

sirsloth
10-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Every company has a polymer gun now. Get with the times.

shooterfpga
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
i never considered a glock. but now i have to conceal carry, so ive been looking at them. theyre also easy to come by and very cheap.

esartori
10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
most people don't hate polymer, but some people prefer the feel of an all-steel gun. Others see the advantage of a light weight gun that can hold more rounds. At the end of they day, it comes down to preference and purpose. Most arguments for or against are just a matter of opinion. I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

Some people who bought a glock/1911 don't like to hear that the "other" choice is "better". It's like with every other decision (ford vs chevy, blonde vs brunette, etc). Everyone will always protect what they use as many have never even tried the other option.

cfusionpm
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I love polymer guns! I just prefer the Springfield flavor instead. ;P

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
In my opinion, having a Glock in one's collection is like having a hammer in the junk drawer in the kitchen. It's plain. It's simple. It's got a limited range of usefulness. But it does that one thing, all the time, every time. It goes BANG.

For a LTC piece (my personal EDC is Glock 30) it's the cat's pajamas. Light, dependable, nothing fancy, and since a daily carry piece is going to get banged up, scratched, and generally abused, since it's a Glock, I'm not going to fret over it like I might an expensive, custom 1911, etc.

The Virus
10-10-2011, 11:12 AM
bag ergonomics, bad trigger, plastic mags.

those are my gripes

I like polymer

DRAB_81
10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
In my opinion, having a Glock in one's collection is like having a hammer in the junk drawer in the kitchen. It's plain. It's simple. It's got a limited range of usefulness. But it does that one thing, all the time, every time. It goes BANG.

For a LTC piece (my personal EDC is Glock 30) it's the cat's pajamas. Light, dependable, nothing fancy, and since a daily carry piece is going to get banged up, scratched, and generally abused, since it's a Glock, I'm not going to fret over it like I might an expensive, custom 1911, etc.

This guy gets it, couldn't have said it better if I tried. I cracked up about the hammer in the junk drawer, I have had one in my kitchen for over a decade.

Merc1138
10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
The polymer isn't the source of the glock hate. It's the grip angle, lack of manual safety, the hanging thing on the trigger, being striker fired instead of having a hammer, etc. that people hate glocks.

(there is also a group of people that think every gun they own needs to be able to win a beauty pageant).

Personally I'm not fond of glocks(grip angle, no method to de-cock it), but I do own polymer framed guns.

orangeusa
10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I think some of it might be some of the over-zealous owners (some are gone from here) with their automatic responses "get a Glock" on threads about other guns.. I dunno.

Glocks are extremely reliable, shoot straight. I have nothing against them, just prefer other guns.

On the other hand, you can badmouth the S&W Sigma all you want!! :)

hkdad
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
nothing... you just opened up a can of worms... :facepalm:

it's like... why do people drive american cars since japanese cars are more reliable... :confused:

in general... buy the gun you want! it's your money and your decision!

Fanboys are in every forum.

WASR10
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I was 100% against Glock; the idea of the polymer frame, the striker fire, the double stack mags... until I shot one.

gcm
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Polymer is the new steel!

I've got an SP2022, Glock 23 and a Plum Crazy Lower.

skyscraper
10-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I will own a glock one day, I'm not crazy about the grip angle but I need at least one in the collection. Probably a 10mm

em9sredbeam
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
side note, couldn't help opening a can of worms. Its a monday and I hate mondays. 'nough said.

richzmn
10-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Everyone hates number one. That the way it is.

Not saying it's better, but it's still number one.

I don't even have one right now..... I think I'll pick up a 22 gen 4 next week?

realgreenfire
10-10-2011, 11:55 AM
i think its more of an issue about people having the misconception of "plastic guns are cheap and not durable, etc etc etc.."
but here's how i see it- do you own a car? how much of that is plastic? im pretty sure that they make cars almost entirely out of fiberglass now! hmm.. that sounds pretty strong and reliable to me..
on the gun note, a POLYMER gun is much lighter, generally easier to manipulate due to the diet they are on, can carry as many rounds as a steel frame and if your not in CA usually MORE ammo, and will last until you want something new anyways.

jetspeedz
10-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I love my Glock and will continue to buy them.

Oceanbob
10-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I love almost all handguns.

I own and have owned Glocks since 1988. Also own eleven 1911s, some custom, some stock. Several S&W revolvers (love them too). And 17 Glocks now..:eek: (I also have 5 kids, 4 who are adults and one 14 year old, who all "Borrow" Dads guns...haha) An HK USP .40 that runs 100% as well. Neat weapon. Had an HK P9 in .45 auto way back in 1980..it was actually my FIRST Poly Pistol....really loved it with the decocker and even though it was weird looking, it ran perfectly. I should never have sold it..:mad:

Back in the 80s the 1911 platform was king of the hill. I carried one everywhere, reloaded for them and nothing else would do for self defense. :D

Then GLOCKs arrived with their 17 round magazines, 100% reliability and the Wonder Nine Generation was born.

My 1911s are worth big dollars these days...I fret over them. I don't want them to get scratched up, or dirty...it's almost a sickness keeping them in pristine condition. With only 7 or 8 rounds and heavy, they won't be going along with me into the unknown or trouble.

Glocks being plentiful and much less expensive are my ideal traveling weapons. And being 100% reliable, they have earned my respect.

Be well,
Bob

smattenson
10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Like people have said before some prefer the feel of an all steel gun etc (I have a friend like this, he doesn't trust the strength of polymer) . In fact my wife doesnt like glocks at all because of the grip size/angle(which I know gets mentioned all the time).

But there are some great advantages to these guns (lighter weight, easier cleaning, in some cases higher capacity in states that are free, simple design with the glock, not ammo picky, if you have to use it you are not exactly heart broken that your less than $500 gun is with police until things are cleared compared to that $1000-$3000 1911/gun of choice in some cases, beat the crap out of it its a glock
;)).

Myself it took me a bit to buy a glock (I've owned many other pistols including m&p's), but now I own a glock and in 9mm(can you say ammo savings?). Personally all the hate on either side makes me laugh :)

Bug Splat
10-10-2011, 12:28 PM
G17 was my first gun. I was 18 when my father-inlaw bought it for me. Grip angle? Never had anything before so Glock felt fine for me. I guess I learned to love it. No manual safety? I was taught that if you follow the rules of assuming ALL firearms are loaded, keep your finger off the trigger and never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy you were fine. I have followed these rules my whole life and never had a ND/AD. Most of my firearms have safeties but I never use them.

I have 30K+ rounds through my G17 all with original parts (including springs) and not one jam. It has shot everything from my light reloads to +P+ JHP and just keeps running. To me it is the greatest pistol ever made. Its not the most sexy but it is the hammer of pistols, it just works!

orangeusa
10-10-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd like a G18, maybe two... :)

Grassninja
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
It's not the gun... it's the fanboys that are so drunk off Glock koolaid that they'll basically run you out of town if you like another handgun more that causes people to hate Glock. Just my personal observations, it happens with a lot more than just Glock (think Magpul).

shooterfpga
10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
LEO work: Cheap(er) reliable out of the box, digests different ammo, high capacity, lightweight, replaceable business expense when worn out. =Glock.

Private citizen: Need for durability, posterity giving, historical significance. =1911

Polymer frames can be damaged by boiling water and whacking them. Not for me.

i really dont see this as a selling point for metal guns. metal can be destroyed by whacking them as well. boiling water? who dips their guns in boiling water or is exposed to boiling water.....

shooterfpga
10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
G17 was my first gun. I was 18 when my father-inlaw bought it for me. Grip angle? Never had anything before so Glock felt fine for me. I guess I learned to love it. No manual safety? I was taught that if you follow the rules of assuming ALL firearms are loaded, keep your finger off the trigger and never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy you were fine. I have followed these rules my whole life and never had a ND/AD. Most of my firearms have safeties but I never use them.

I have 30K+ rounds through my G17 all with original parts (including springs) and not one jam. It has shot everything from my light reloads to +P+ JHP and just keeps running. To me it is the greatest pistol ever made. Its not the most sexy but it is the hammer of pistols, it just works!

i havent really looked at glocks, but there was a G17 RTF2? for sale recently. i was debating on buying it, but have yet to see one in person if its a good conceal weapon. i dont like anything too small framed, medium to regular size framed for conceal only depending on length.

Bug Splat
10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
It's not the gun... it's the fanboys that are so drunk off Glock koolaid that they'll basically run you out of town if you like another handgun more that causes people to hate Glock. Just my personal observations, it happens with a lot more than just Glock (think Magpul).

You better not be talking about my boy Chris :mad: :willy_nilly:

Distro
10-10-2011, 12:35 PM

The problem is this can be said about the "your Glock is going to explode should have got a 1911" crowd. There are also countless other times someone drops in to a Glock thread and bashes them before reading the thread.

Both extremes ruin discussions.

Bug Splat
10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
i havent really looked at glocks, but there was a G17 RTF2? for sale recently. i was debating on buying it, but have yet to see one in person if its a good conceal weapon. i dont like anything too small framed, medium to regular size framed for conceal only depending on length.

I have conceal my G17 before in a IWB holster but it was not easy. I did have to use a jacket because it printed too much with just a shirt. But, I'm also thinner framed than most so a full size pistol really shows. If I had to do it again I might get the G19. Slightly smaller yet feels like a full size pistol in your hand. Had a G27 and it was too small for me.

21SF
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Anyone who has the balls to hate on glock with a straight face, is a moron.

FourLoko
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
haters gonna hate

Merc1138
10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
i really dont see this as a selling point for metal guns. metal can be destroyed by whacking them as well. boiling water? who dips their guns in boiling water or is exposed to boiling water.....

Yeah, that's just silly. If you're in a situation where you need your gun to function 100%, but boiling water is it's weakness and you're being hosed down with boiling water, you've got bigger issues than whether or not your polymer frame handgun is going to warp.

The funny thing about metal frames, is that with little elasticity compared to a polymer frame, it's less likely to survive hitting it with a rock.

Plus, if your polymer frame did get smashed by a rock and cause the frame to bulge up and bind the slide, you could actually field strip it and shave it back down with a pocket knife, wouldn't be able to do that with a metal frame.

But even then, if your handgun has a chance of being crushed by a boulder, you've still got bigger problems.

Exposure to the elements and UV deteriorating the materials on a polymer frame over time could be a valid concern. But who is leaving their glocks out in the sun for 30 years at a time. Metal isn't a perfect solution either due to the possibility of corrosion.

With modern polymers and designs, the situations people come up with questioning the durability either involve some extreme(sitting out in the sun for years and years), or ignore that metal frames have a similar problem.

billybob_jcv
10-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Chevy!
Ford!

Coke!
Pepsi!

Sean Connery!
Rodger Moore!

Rolling Stones!
Aerosmith!

Jennifer Lopez!
Angelina Jolie!

Chicken!
Egg!

Bottom line: Any group of 2 or more humans wouldn't be able to agree whether water or sunlight was more important for growing poison ivy! ;)

thai562
10-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Some people just prefer their pistols to be metal.

sundayduffer
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Love mah glock. No beefs with polymer. Gonna put an XD in jail soon.

leoffensive
10-10-2011, 12:55 PM
i dont hate glocks. its just the glock fanboys are major lolcows when you talk bad about glocks.

same thing with AK guys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/dca8hh.gif

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Again, just my opinion, when Glocks were first introduced to mass market, they were considered an affront to God, Nature and John Moses Browning.

They were up against an American culture of handguns that said they should be steel and maybe a little wood. New fancy shmancy plastic! BAH!

That perception, of course has changed over time, but still lingers even in new shooters. Me? Like I said, I carry a Glock everyday; for my needs it's just about perfect. But Glocks are cookie cutter guns, all sort of the same. No soul.

Now, a nice Smith & Wesson Model 27, say, now THAT has soul.

penciljockey
10-10-2011, 1:01 PM
It's practical, dependable and proven. What more do you want in a weapon? I have a 1911 and it's a finicky little *****. I love that thing, but the Glock is just so reliable and simple. It's not a show off gun, but it's a gun.

Lugiahua
10-10-2011, 1:01 PM
I think the glock hating came as a response of some glock fans calling other polyme pistols as inferior copies...

BamBam-31
10-10-2011, 1:02 PM
I think the main reasons have been covered:

--Fanboi backlash
--Old school thinking: all-steel vs. new-fangled polymer
--Ergos: Grip, grip angle, trigger, etc.
--Aesthetics

However, Reasons #1, 2, and 3 should be: "Does the gun go bang?" To which the obvious and universal answer is, "Why, yes it does. Indeedy-do it does."

Mr.Caketown
10-10-2011, 1:04 PM
bag ergonomics, bad trigger, plastic mags.

those are my gripes

I like polymer

^^ this plus the damn thing is ugly

Its no M&P or XD-M but its a nice pistol

junkit_boy
10-10-2011, 1:07 PM
why? Who knows.. I do prefer the feel of my P226, 92FS and 1911 over my P99, Steyr M9 and FNP-9.. I just like a all steel gun. It just feels solid to me.. But I do have preferences when it comes to plastic. My P99 goes bang right on target everytime. If I had to choose, I would take a 1911 over any other gun, metal or plastic

I remember I was at a gun show and some huge big boy was talking (in between Beef jerky chomps) about how much he hated Tupperware. He said "I like to know that if my gun should get the in fireplace it wont melt like some tupperware" Well big boy, what would your gun be doing in a fireplace?? And even if it was an all-steel gun, I think the gun would be so hot that you couldn't hold the gun to fire a round even if your life depended on it.

As for Glocks.. good guns, just not for me.

Briancnelson
10-10-2011, 1:08 PM
It's not polymer pistols people hate, mostly. People are pretty used to the fact they have their place these days. A few, maybe are still on that old argument.

But beyond that it gets into personal taste, and some people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a Glock. I'm one of them. The grip angle drives me nuts. I shoot better with almost any other flavor of polymer, the XD being my favorite. I don't hate Glocks, I just won't own one voluntarily anymore because they aren't for me. (except for the 10mm I'm getting from someone for a birthday present, there are no hard and fast rules I guess~)

On the other hand, some Glock fans I can do without. Any thread on any polymer gun gets crapped up with "buy a Glock instead, everything else sucks". Which is why some people get irritated enough to bash Glocks, more because of the fans than the gun.

Any time anything becomes a cult, it irritates me a bit. I guess that's why I'm often an adopter of the orphan guns that people talk smack about. I own a lot of those. Some, as it turns out, really do suck. They get sold again. Some are just unfairly maligned. Those stick around. Or sometimes get sold when I want something else anyway ;P you never can tell.

zfields
10-10-2011, 1:09 PM
I think some of it might be some of the over-zealous owners (some are gone from here) with their automatic responses "get a Glock" on threads about other guns.. I dunno.

Glocks are extremely reliable, shoot straight. I have nothing against them, just prefer other guns.

+1

It aint the gun, its the fanbois.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 1:09 PM
Any time something is really popular there will be a loud and obnoxious group of haters who seek out any thread, article, etc. about it and bash the heck out of it. They're anarcharists man. Wanna be rebels. Ignore 'em!

The Glock is an amazingly simple handgun by design...which makes it great for defensive situations. If you're serious about learning how to shoot and plan on taking some professional courses, the Glock is the gun for you (or at the very least a Glock clone like XD, M&P, PPS, P99QA, Sigma, etc). It's simple to use design gets out of the way and lets you master the fundementals without having to master the quirks of the guns design first. It is without question the most recommended defensive handgun platform by professional firearms instructors for that reason.

That is not to say you can't master another platform. It's just that most have one or more quirks about them you have to master as well, and that can distract from mastering the fundamentals. Some guns are so complicated that mastering them is like trying to pat your belly and rub your head at the same time. Just when you start to get your rythum, something about them trips you up. The Glock makes things as simple on you as possible.

I always get a kick out people who argue that their overly complicated to use design gun means it's owners are better shooters and that because I recommend the Glock for defensive shooters, especially new ones, I am somehow an inferior shooter than they are. When in reality the vast majority of civilians who own the gun they are advocating never advance beyond the plinking stage because it is too difficult for them, and you almost never see shooters in the advanced courses using those particular guns unless forced to use them by their department/agency - at which point you have to listen to those shooters gripe about how their gun in handicapping them throughout the entire course. You see them in the beginning courses, but not the advanced courses. Instead you see people who started off with them quickly abandoning them for an easier to master platform like the Glock, 1911 and the many Glock clones in droves.

The above statements, while being 100% factually correct and even tempered, get me labelled as a fanboy by the haters. Go figure!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/Forum%20Pictures/haters-mickey.gif

CSI304
10-10-2011, 1:10 PM
I don't see any reason to hate on Glocks and Polymer guns.
They work and they do get the job done :)

LovingTheYear1911
10-10-2011, 1:14 PM
Personally I dont like the trigger on my G22, its not the best trigger and the ergonomics arent the best, but it shoots everything, is reliable, and pretty darn accurate.

Who ever hates on Glock, obviously has some sort of bias or is ignorant. If its such a bad weapon, then why are countless LEO and other government officials given one? Ever think why they chose the Glock over other brands?

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2011, 1:18 PM
If its such a bad weapon, then why are countless LEO and other government officials given one? Ever think why they chose the Glock over other brands?

Uhm, perhaps aggressive marketing, an attractive price point and an extremely generous 'buy-back/upgrade' program?

bigmark408
10-10-2011, 1:22 PM
Not my cup of tea but to each his own....everyone is responsible for there own life so what they are comfortable with is fine by me.

hkdad
10-10-2011, 1:32 PM
I think the glock hating came as a response of some glock fans calling other polyme pistols as inferior copies...

sorry to burst your bubble but glock was not the first polymer gun on the market! it was the H&K VP70! It was the first polymer-framed pistol and predates the Glock 17 by 12 years. ;)

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2011, 1:35 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but glock was not the first polymer gun on the market! it was the H&K VP70! It was the first polymer-framed pistol and predates the Glock 17 by 12 years. ;)

How about 'first polymer framed pistol to have success in the mass market?'

Oh, and damn, that VP70 trigger sucked. You needed an engine hoist for that thing.

Though it *did* have that fun 'stock option'
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/germany/hg84/1287725795.jpg

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 1:36 PM
Uhm, perhaps aggressive marketing, an attractive price point and an extremely generous 'buy-back/upgrade' program?

You really think that's why 1st SFOD-D Delta Force chooses them? Or do you think the speed you get from not having a thumb safety, and having the same trigger pull every single time plays a factor. Every book I have ever read about Delta (two of which were written by members of the Unit) says their operators shoot primarily a Glock variant or 1911, with the majority choosing a Glock variant. These are guys who know guns, know defensive shooting, and can pick and choose between anything they want regardless of cost.

The same translates to defensive shooting instructors from the big name schools. They are long beyond being issued guns. They've left their department, agency, or branch of service. They can pick and choose what they carry and what they recommend. The vast majority of the time it is a Glock, the 1911 being a close second.

Simplicity of use, speed, and reliability are why people trust their lives to a Glock. Not marketing, not fancy buy back programs, and certainly not their looks.

paul0660
10-10-2011, 1:39 PM
The above statements, while being 100% factually correct and even tempered, get me labelled as a fanboy by the haters. Go figure!

The statements to which you refer are mostly your opinion, not facts.

That is the difference between glock lovers and gun lovers.

Glock has an inherently dangerous trigger (I did not say unsafe) as stated in their manual. It doesn't matter what they are made of or what the grip angle is.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2011, 1:40 PM
You really think that's why Delta Force chooses them? Or do you think the speed you get from not having a safety, and having the same trigger pull every single time plays a factor.

No, no, you're mis-interpreting me; my post was in response to why so many LEO agencies went with Glocks (forgot to mention that Glock has an awesome individual officer purchase program as well).

Heck, the points you bring up are some of the reasons why I carry a Glock.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 1:45 PM
The statements to which you refer are mostly your opinion, not facts.

That is the difference between glock lovers and gun lovers.

Glock has an inherently dangerous trigger (I did not say unsafe) as stated in their manual. It doesn't matter what they are made of or what the grip angle is.

No, they are not. When every major shooting school says the exact same thing. It's not opinion.

You're a hater brother. Plain and simple.

AAShooter
10-10-2011, 1:46 PM
I don't hate Glocks . . . just like a good trigger. Nice crisp, clean breaking triggers, fast resetting triggers.

Glock triggers . . . lets just say they don't fall into that category.

billybob_jcv
10-10-2011, 1:48 PM
Here we go...

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 1:50 PM
No, no, you're mis-interpreting me; my post was in response to why so many LEO agencies went with Glocks (forgot to mention that Glock has an awesome individual officer purchase program as well).

Heck, the points you bring up are some of the reasons why I carry a Glock.

A lot of agencies are hung up one liability perceptions even post 1911. They are stuck on the 1980s mindset of insisting on a manual thumb safety, and an extremely hard first trigger pull so the officer has time to change his mind just in case the kid really has a squirt gun (or in the modern age a cell phone) instead of real gun. Things that sound wonderful on paper, but in reality get officers killed because when you are the good guy you are almost always WAY behind the power curve and the bad guy is already drawn and threatening your life or the lives of others by the time you draw. So the last thing beat cops need is a gun that is inheriently slower out of the holster. That attitude is changing, even amongst the LAPD. But it was/is an up hill battle.

QuarterBoreGunner
It was at this point that everyone was advised to take a breather and relax.

orangeusa
No, they are not. When every major shooting school says the exact same thing. It's not opinion.

You're a hater brother. Plain and simple.

We know your opinion. We have our own. Some like them, some don't but it's just a gun. There's a reason there are 100's of handguns to choose from.

BlackRain17
10-10-2011, 1:56 PM
Isn't there a statistic where Glock was used to kill the most people in this world compared to any other brand?

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 1:56 PM
I don't hate Glocks . . . just like a good trigger. Nice crisp, clean breaking triggers, fast resetting triggers.

It has an "interesting" break that takes getting used to. But the rest of your statement is not true. Especially the part about the reset. Of all the guns in it's category it has the shortest reset out there. The biggest complaint about all the Glock clones is that none of them (with the possible exception of the new Walther PPQ which I have yet to try myself so I cannot say for sure) have drastically longer resets. All guns with a shorter reset have other trade offs. Such as thumb safties, decockers, really hard DA first pulls, and so on.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2011, 2:00 PM
Isn't there a statistic where Glock was used to kill the most people in this world compared to any other brand?

I'll bite.

And what does this have to do with the thread exactly?

railroader
10-10-2011, 2:02 PM
I like both steel and polymer pistols. I like the looks and the simplicity of glocks but I hate the ergos of the grip. They feel awkward in my hand. I had a g17 that I put competition sights on and did trigger work on it but I just couldn't shoot it very well. I sold it and bought a ruger p95 which works better for me. I also have to agree the glock fanboys do get carried away which is a turn off.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:05 PM

It has an "interesting" break that takes getting used to. But the rest of your statement is not true. Especially the part about the reset. Of all the guns in it's category it has the shortest reset out there. The biggest complaint about all the Glock clones is that none of them (with the possible exception of the new Walther PPQ which I have yet to try myself so I cannot say for sure) have drastically longer resets. All guns with a shorter reset have other trade offs. Such as thumb safties, decockers, really hard DA first pulls, and so on.

Take the 1911 for example. Which has my favorite trigger and is an excellent gun. It has a bunch of trade offs. It has a thumb safety, holds 1/3 the rounds, and is much heavier (even with an aluminum frame) and arguably less comfortable to carry all day long (though thinner so easier to hide). You could get a double stack 1911 to eliminate one of those trade offs, but then it becomes harder to conceal and you still have a thumb safety.

So as with all things it becomes a balancing act of measuring pros and cons. Which ever way you go, you give something or multiple somethings up.

AAShooter
10-10-2011, 2:05 PM

Put a 1911 trigger in a Glock and you start approaching perfection. A grip and thumb safety don't bother me at all.

orangeusa
10-10-2011, 2:06 PM
I like both steel and polymer pistols. I like the looks and the simplicity of glocks but I hate the ergos of the grip. They feel awkward in my hand. I had a g17 that I put competition sights on and did trigger work on it but I just couldn't shoot it very well. I sold it and bought a ruger p95 which works better for me. I also have to agree the glock fanboys do get carried away which is a turn off.

Yeah, Ruger went from metal to poly on a lot of models, but in most cases the guns are equal or better than the earlier versions (at least weight wise). So I don't see the anti-polymer sentiment that OP had mentioned....

FourLoko
10-10-2011, 2:08 PM

Yep, if you're dogging the trigger reset on a Glock you've got serious issues.

hkdad
10-10-2011, 2:13 PM
How about 'first polymer framed pistol to have success in the mass market?'

Oh, and damn, that VP70 trigger sucked. You needed an engine hoist for that thing.

Though it *did* have that fun 'stock option'
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/germany/hg84/1287725795.jpg

yeah, the trigger on the vp70 sucks, but i can say the same thing to a glock stock trigger as well! ;) some people think because it's a "GLOCK" it's the first polymer pistol ever produced. :rolleyes: i am pretty sure, a lot of people are not aware of this.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:14 PM
I would agree the Glock would benefit from many of the features seen in the 1911.

Unfortunately it stops being a Glock once you put a 1911 trigger in it, because that light pull requires a thumb safety to be safely carried. Don't get me wrong, I dig the 1911 especially the pull. But you'll hear firearms professionals warn time and time again about people, including seasoned professionals drawing, pointing in, pulling the trigger, and finding a dead trigger. Why? They forgot to take the safety off in the heat of the moment. This can be attributed to lack of training, but part of it is human nature as well. You truly have to practice to the point of insanity (which I recommend anyway but few people are as obsessed as I/we are) for it truly become muscle memory.

I can see the argument of a trigger that has less of a crunch when it breaks being a plus. However, when I've shot really smooth aftermarket triggers that smoothed 'em out I had nothing but trouble. Perhaps it was just messing with my muscle memory because it changed a lot more than just the break it changed everything to the point of being unsafe for defensive carry, but it really screwed me up. So if you're a Glock guy thinking about messing with your trigger I would say becareful what you wish for.

The beaver tail would be great. I'm one of those guys with really fleshy hands between the thumb and trigger finger and that extra flesh can at times find its way riding too high behind the slide and I get slide bite. Figure once every 100-200 pulls. It's only a pinch, the size of a pimple. So I keep on shooting until the drill is over or the treat (imaginary in my case thank goodness) is gone just like you would in real life. But the extended beaver tail like that of the 1911 or S&W M&P would have been a nice touch on the Gen 4s.

I personally hate the finger grooves on the Glocks. It is something I tolerate because of all the other wonderful things I like about the Glock. I was stunned to see Glock offer interchangable backstraps (which should fix the grip angle argument for the haters) but not the front straps. Not liking the finger grooves is the number 1 things people who hold a Glock and say it doesn't fit their hands gripe about. So they really missed the boat on that one. Maybe the Gen 5's will have it.

All those complaints aside, there are so many things I love about the Glock it is still my favorite defensive gun. With the 1911 lagging just a hair behind.

hkdad
10-10-2011, 2:16 PM
Put a 1911 trigger in a Glock and you start approaching perfection. A grip and thumb safety don't bother me at all.

nothing is perfect... put a toyota engine in a ferrari body!:punk: it's all about personal preferences.

hkdad
10-10-2011, 2:19 PM
I would agree the Glock would benefit from many of the features seen in the 1911.

Unfortunately it stops being a Glock once you put a 1911 trigger in it, because that light pull requires a thumb safety to be safely carried. you'll hear firearms professionals warn time and time again about people, including seasoned professionals drawing, pointing in, pulling the trigger, and finding a dead trigger. Why...they forgot to take the safety off in the heat of the moment. This can be attributed to lack of training, but part of it is human nature as well. You truly have to practice to the point of insanity (which I recommend anyway) for it truly become muscle memory.

The beaver tail would be great. I'm one of those guys with really fleshy hands between the thumb and trigger finger and that extra flesh can at times find its way riding too high behind the slide and I get slide bite. Figure once every 100-200 pulls. It's only a pinch, the size of a pimple. So I keep on shooting until the drill is over or the treat (imaginary in my case thank goodness) is gone just like you would in real life. But the extended beaver tail like that of the 1911 or S&W M&P would have been a nice touch on the Gen 4s.

I personally hate the finger grooves on the Glocks. It is something I tolerate because of all the other wonderful things I like about the Glock. I was stunned to see Glock offer interchangable backstraps (which should fix the grip angle argument for the haters) but not the front straps. Not liking the finger grooves is the number 1 things people who hold a Glock and say it doesn't fit their hands gripe about. So they really missed the boat on that one. Maybe the Gen 5's will have it.

how many GENs do we need to make it a real "Glock Perfection"? :banghead:

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:23 PM

Evolution brother. Innovate or die. They have to keep up with advances in technology and the whims of the market. When the Glock first came out nobody needed rails up front, and they were just starting to figure out polymer frames so interchangeable straps would have seemed to risky. They only added the finger grooves in an attempt to meet market demands because everybody was using those hogue slip-on grips. I've never liked them, but plenty of others do.

H&K does the same thing, they just call their guns a different model number when they do it. But you can clearly trace the evolution in design from one model to the next (between certain models not all).

hkdad
10-10-2011, 2:25 PM
Evolution brother. Innovate or die.

it should be "Glock Evolution". if it's perfect why mess with it? right?:D

HighValleyRanch
10-10-2011, 2:25 PM
I personally hate the finger grooves on the Glocks.
Yes, I prefer the 1st and 2nd generation glocks without the finger grooves.
Just about to get a 3rd gen glock 20 and already am considering grinding down the grooves and grip reduction, smoothing. (I love the feel of my smooth 1st gen glock 17).

As far as glock hating......from another thread here........
no, she is your typical glock person, she does not know anything about guns
Maybe he is joshing in good humor and getting a rise because his wife wants a glock 17 , but this isn't the first time I have seen these type of glock attacks. I mean, someone asked on another thread to suggest a good CCW gun. Someone posted Makarov, which is fine, because that is their opinion. But I did not post glock for fear of getting flamed upon.......

Icypu
10-10-2011, 2:26 PM
why? Who knows.. I do prefer the feel of my P226, 92FS and 1911 over my P99, Steyr M9 and FNP-9..

I prefer the Steyr M9 ergonomics also. On point, I have no problem with Glocks. I don't think they are a bad or a great pistol. I am annoyed a Glock fanboyism. These people believe the answer to any problem is a glock!

loose_electron
10-10-2011, 2:27 PM
It's like with every other decision (ford vs chevy, blonde vs brunette, etc). Everyone will always protect what they use as many have never even tried the other option.

Well, it depends upon application, use, and how well it fits.

Me personally, I prefer blondes for high firing rates,
quickly dispensed with and the wow factor, when I show my
new toy to my friends. However they can be high maintenance,
requiring frequent tune ups and constant replacement of
the springs. They also need to
be kept well lubricated so they don't rust. Oil based lubricants
are not suggested here.

Brunettes, on the other hand tend to go bang when you pull
the trigger, will fire even when dirty, and are pretty low maintenance.
Cleaning and take down is pretty easy to do. On some the take down
by the well trained soldier can be done in seconds, in the dark,
and with minimal thought.

Fit and finish on both blondes and brunettes vary by model.
Depending on preference you may want the highly polished
versions, or prefer the rustic aspects of the ones with a few
rough edges, which can be a plus when grabbing and holding
tightly.

In conclusion, if I am looking for the reliable piece that will go
bang when I want it to, I will stick with the simple low
maintenance reliability of the brunette. If I want the show
piece that sits in the safe all the time and never gets
used having at least one blonde
in the collection is always good for the ego of the collector.

:43:

zfields
10-10-2011, 2:28 PM

Whenever they change the grip angle would be the perfect GEN for me.

AAShooter
10-10-2011, 2:29 PM

The Gen 4 is a big improvement . . . of course buying one is California is a pain.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:31 PM

I could be wrong but I thought part of the point of the backstraps being swappable is it helps tweak the grip angle and pointability for certain users.

I know the Grip Force Adapter does, and all it does is clip onto the back of a Glock. Ugly as sin...but works well.

orangeusa
10-10-2011, 2:32 PM
As far as glock hating......from another thread here........

Maybe he is joshing in good humor and getting a rise because his wife wants a glock 17 , but this isn't the first time I have seen these type of glock attacks. I mean, someone asked on another thread to suggest a good CCW gun. Someone posted Makarov, which is fine, because that is their opinion. But I did not post glock for fear of getting flamed upon.......

Try posting that you like Berettas some time. I've been seared also, many times. Lots of free, useless advice out there. But, as usual, it comes with having a preference. The CZ/Sig guys.. don't seem to get as much grief.. :)

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:33 PM
The Gen 4 is a big improvement . . . of course buying one is California is a pain.

Depends on where you live. Turns out I'm forunate enough to live near several shops doing the single shot conversions.

zfields
10-10-2011, 2:35 PM
Depends on where you live. Turns out I'm forunate enough to live near several shops doing the single shot conversions.

Lucky for me I can just walk down to Academy and get one : P

I tried it with the other backstraps, just didnt feel right with anything besides the medium, and the angle was still odd.

Id like to try out one of the beavertail'd ones, but aint gonna buy a glock to experiement when I have 2 other handguns that fit just fine.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:35 PM
Try posting that you like Berettas some time. I've been seared also, many times. Lots of free, useless advice out there. But, as usual, it comes with having a preference. The CZ/Sig guys.. don't seem to get as much grief.. :)

Sorry. That was probably me. I'm a Beretta hater - with a passion. I do try not to single specific people out however. That's just rude. Hate the sinner and not the sin. ;)

Many of us Glock converts are former Beretta guys that were issued them and forced to use them as duty weapons. Either as military or law enforcement. Once we got a sip of the Glock Kool-Aid we never looked back.

In my case, I hated Glocks based on looks and the myth that they were unsafe and somehow my Beretta would protect me safety wise from Murphy's law. Then I got some trigger time and professional training on a Glock...and then I saw the light.

HighLander51
10-10-2011, 2:37 PM
Glocks are cheap and they run good. My old G21 went to 125,000 rounds before it sheared off the barrel lug, replaced free of charge of course. You can never turn it into a 1911, no matter what trigger you put in it. Just pull it 50,000 times or so and it will seem normal. David Sevigny didn't have any problems with the stock trigger..

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:39 PM
Lucky for me I can just walk down to Academy and get one : P

I tried it with the other backstraps, just didnt feel right with anything besides the medium, and the angle was still odd.

Id like to try out one of the beavertail'd ones, but aint gonna buy a glock to experiement when I have 2 other handguns that fit just fine.

Po-po? (It's a Glock thread I've gotta talk ghetto - that is the stereotype after all).

Both CZs or is one a Hi-Power?

Briancnelson
10-10-2011, 2:41 PM
Unfortunately it stops being a Glock once you put a 1911 trigger in it, because that light pull requires a thumb safety to be safely carried.

Right, it starts becoming an XD with a PRP trigger kit~~

I kid, I kid.

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 2:45 PM
People love to hate what other like. It is a "I'm different because I don't buy into the fads" mentality.

Sometimes people get bad glocks. It happens. I have seen people on this forum say that others are BSing when their glock goes boom or that is was the operators fault. It is hard to deny that the some glock fanboys are annoying as all hell.

zfields
10-10-2011, 2:45 PM
Po-po? (It's a Glock thread I've gotta talk ghetto - that is the stereotype after all).

Both CZs or is one a Hi-Power?

look @ location

1 XD 45 compact, 1 CZ.

The XD im thinking about selling to fund a CCW gun, since I rarely shoot it anymore. But then Id have all this .45 ammo , and components, sitting around just gathering dust also.

Hi-power went back to the craptastic vendor I bought it from, things barrel bushing was mangled. I wish I could have kept it, was very comfy. But honestly the CZ was a huge improvement on the Hipower design.

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:46 PM
Right, it starts becoming an XD with a PRP trigger kit~~

I kid, I kid.

I shot one of those. Not sure I would feel comfortable carrying it as a duty weapon. The trigger was SCARY light for a gun with no thumb safety. I also had a really hard time adjusting to the gun itself, but it was only my second time shooting an XD. Oddly enough I was pulling to the right about 1/2 and inch and up 1/2 an inch. Which is odd for me. I am usually right on the money or a hair to the left.

I am sure a lot of that just had to do with my being so familiar with the Glock. It was close enough to the Glock that it triggered muscle memory, only that muscle memory was all off for that gun. Took more concentration than I would like to smooth out my shooting. In time I am sure the minor differences would have allowed me to develope an additional set of muscle memories for it as I have done with other guns. But it wasn't my gun. I had to give it back.

You can adjust to anything with enough time and energy.

TheExpertish
10-10-2011, 2:47 PM
Sorry. That was probably me. I'm a Beretta hater - with a passion. I do try not to single specific people out however. That's just rude. Hate the sinner and not the sin. ;)

Many of us Glock converts are former Beretta guys that were issued them and forced to use them as duty weapons. Either as military or law enforcement. Once we got a sip of the Glock Kool-Aid we never looked back.

In my case, I hated Glocks based on looks and the myth that they were unsafe and somehow my Beretta would protect me safety wise from Murphy's law. Then I got some trigger time and professional training on a Glock...and then I saw the light.

I agree with the Beretta hate. Maybe not hate since I never had one forced on me, but I know that many view it as a crap gun. I'm an H&K man and have an appreciation for Glock's since I have trained with them. Just glad when I was LEO I was able to choose my own platform. Viva la polymer!

zfields
10-10-2011, 2:48 PM
I shot one of those. Not sure I would feel comfortable carrying it as a duty weapon. The trigger was SCARY light. I also had a really hard time adjusting to the gun itself, but it was only my second time shooting an XD.

I am sure a lot of that just had to do with my being so familiar with the Glock. It was close enough to the Glock that it triggered muscle memory, only that muscle memory was all off for that gun. Too more concentration than I would like to smooth out my shooting. In time I am sure the minor differences would have allowed me to develope an additional set of muscle memories for it as I have done with other guns.

Most the XD trigger kits are competition ones. Springer (not springfield) makes a duty kit, I havent messed with it though. Supposed to just lighten it a lil, take out some uptake, and quicken the reset.

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 2:52 PM
look @ location

1 XD 45 compact, 1 CZ.

The XD im thinking about selling to fund a CCW gun, since I rarely shoot it anymore. But then Id have all this .45 ammo , and components, sitting around just gathering dust also.

Hi-power went back to the craptastic vendor I bought it from, things barrel bushing was mangled. I wish I could have kept it, was very comfy. But honestly the CZ was a huge improvement on the Hipower design.

How so? You care to give examples or just your personal preference?

tacticalcity
10-10-2011, 2:53 PM
look @ location

1 XD 45 compact, 1 CZ.

The word "academy" made me think you were law enforcement. Sorry to hear about the hi-power. But glad you enjoy your CZ.

Good luck on the CCW gun. I'm in the market for one as well. But funds are scarce at the moment so I could be saying the same thing for a while.

SIGSHOOTR
10-10-2011, 2:55 PM
As someone who was brought up on metal guns-- Beretta and Sig-- and now the proud owner of a Glock 19 (can't say enough good stuff about this awesome pistol), the whole plastic gun hater thing is all BS IMHO. I can't catch a break! I had to deal with Sig haters and now Glock haters!:p

zfields
10-10-2011, 2:56 PM
The word "academy" made me think you were law enforcement. Sorry to hear about the hi-power. But glad you enjoy your CZ.

Good luck on the CCW gun. I'm in the market for one as well. But funds are scarce at the moment so I could be saying the same thing for a while.

Nope, in school do to probation/parole. Chance at LE went out along with a disc in my back a few years ago.

CCW holds some nice benefits here in TX, no background checks to buy guns, and makes people more willing to do cash and carry personal sales.
Im thinking a PF9 or 9mm LCP. Revolvers and me dont get a long.

infernl
10-10-2011, 2:59 PM
1911 is having its 100 year anniversary this year
When Glock has its 100th anniversary call me.

Preface: I enjoy ALL types of handguns. I only recently purchased a Glock, and a Colt 1911 is still on my "to-buy" list.

When John Browning walks the earth again, better load out, because well, he's a zombie... He's been dead since the late 20's.

Three years after Browning kicked the bucket, Gaston Glock was born.
Glock is getting up there, but he's still among the living at the moment.

What's next....

Did you know that the original spin-dial phones beat the pants off of iPhones? - See how ridiculous that sounds? Your life, improved through superior technology. Embrace it.

Everything has its place, and to push away anything that may bring something new to the table almost always leaves you missing out on something.

someR1
10-10-2011, 3:57 PM
HASTERS GONNA HATE ! :facepalm:

infernl
10-10-2011, 3:58 PM
HASTERS GONNA HATE ! :facepalm:

Those damn hasters!

Hamsters?

:43:

orangeusa
10-10-2011, 4:07 PM
Umm.. yeah... I have nothing against polymer. Beretta PX4 is a great gun.

I agree with the Beretta hate. Maybe not hate since I never had one forced on me, but I know that many view it as a crap gun. I'm an H&K man and have an appreciation for Glock's since I have trained with them. Just glad when I was LEO I was able to choose my own platform. Viva la polymer!

drunktank
10-10-2011, 4:08 PM
I've noticed that most of the hard core "haters" are either die hard 1911 guys or people who don't use/view firearms as a tool.

They are good tools. I personally prefer HK's, but if I had my own nation with military force, I'd probably equip them or the PD with GLOCKS.

Briancnelson
10-10-2011, 4:16 PM
Depends what spings you put in it. By mixing and matching the kit and factory springs i can set mine from 3.3 to 6.5. The overtravel is next to nothing no matter which springs you put on, however, the reset is short and the break is crisp. Match springs to suit and you are good. Also, don't forget the grip safety.

I shot one of those. Not sure I would feel comfortable carrying it as a duty weapon. The trigger was SCARY light for a gun with no thumb safety. I also had a really hard time adjusting to the gun itself, but it was only my second time shooting an XD. Oddly enough I was pulling to the right about 1/2 and inch and up 1/2 an inch. Which is odd for me. I am usually right on the money or a hair to the left.

I am sure a lot of that just had to do with my being so familiar with the Glock. It was close enough to the Glock that it triggered muscle memory, only that muscle memory was all off for that gun. Took more concentration than I would like to smooth out my shooting. In time I am sure the minor differences would have allowed me to develope an additional set of muscle memories for it as I have done with other guns. But it wasn't my gun. I had to give it back.

You can adjust to anything with enough time and energy.

Distro
10-10-2011, 4:43 PM
A gun forum is definitely going to have these types of divides because the age ranges are so much greater than on other subjects.

For the older crowd I can see them just never taking to newer things (Glocks), because they grew up with something that worked extremely well for them and have some type of attachment. And when they advise that an all steel gun might be a better option and provide reasoning, I enjoy that type of conversation.

On the other hand, taking time to jump in a thread just to bash something that you will never use anyway is sad. I just look at them like that old man that tries to tell you "you know back in my day.." Move along gramps nobody cares.

The younger crowd that bashes Glocks as guns that haven't proven their worth, are just trying to fit in, basically hipsters.

http://i.imgur.com/ZQUtW.png

Glock_fanboy
10-10-2011, 4:59 PM
Glock haters make me go :willy_nilly:

motorwerks
10-10-2011, 5:05 PM
I hated Glocks till I took a PC832 class where we had 30ish students with all different backgrounds. Over 2 days of shooting these old beat to snot G19's did well. There were very few problems (in fact I cant remember one) that couldn't be solved with a tap, rack, and then they would go bang. It opened my eyes.

Glock_fanboy
10-10-2011, 5:06 PM
Honestly though... Glocks are simple, reliable, and tough. Since there are so many choices for handguns, I don't mind people preferring something else... but some people are just stubborn and for whatever reason believe either a) Glocks suck or b) their gun is easily superior.

I just shrug and then go back to what I was doing.

Mighty J ho
10-10-2011, 5:08 PM
I have a Glock 17 and I'm buying a Glock 34 soon.I never had any problems with them! they are great guns!

dirtracer27x
10-10-2011, 5:14 PM
i think its the group of people who post how glocks are the best,if you dont own a glock you have a peice of $%@&. people are getting sick of it,lol.i have one and i think its a great gun,but there are plenty of guns out there that feel and shoot better imo.also own the o so hated sigma,it also shoots great and have no complaints.if i would have bought the sigma first i would have probably not spent the big bucks on the glock imo. i think get what you want,can afford,and floats YOUR boat:thumbsup:

bigmark408
10-10-2011, 5:31 PM
Preface: I enjoy ALL types of handguns. I only recently purchased a Glock, and a Colt 1911 is still on my "to-buy" list.

When John Browning walks the earth again, better load out, because well, he's a zombie... He's been dead since the late 20's.

Three years after Browning kicked the bucket, Gaston Glock was born.
Glock is getting up there, but he's still among the living at the moment.

What's next....

Did you know that the original spin-dial phones beat the pants off of iPhones? - See how ridiculous that sounds? Your life, improved through superior technology. Embrace it.

Everything has its place, and to push away anything that may bring something new to the table almost always leaves you missing out on something.

Although Jonn Browning has been gone many years Glock is not even a pimple on his ***** .

Calimart
10-10-2011, 5:34 PM
Love my Glock 20 and 27 - no frills fire power - point and shoot :)
I love my other guns equally - all get the desired attention they deserve :p

Cyc Wid It
10-10-2011, 5:52 PM
Functional but no soul and hideous. Also, not very fun to shoot for me.

bubbapug1
10-10-2011, 5:56 PM
I only had one gun I own FTF...my glock 17. The striker channel can and does get filty and than the gun can have light strikes, so enough about how reliable they are, they simply AREN'T that reliable.

And they gotta have the worst trigger in the world, besides a Taurus Millenium that is.

zfields
10-10-2011, 5:58 PM
How so? You care to give examples or just your personal preference?

Its more preference, but the safety is a big improvement practically. I also view the inset slide as a improvement just for the fact of getting the bore height lower. Feed ramp is a bit longer, and seems to more reliably feed HP ammo, but that's comparing to older (mk II and older) Hipowers.

Dont get me wrong, I love hipowers, but for the money I think the CZ is a much better gun. Id love to get a nice bi-tone MkIII, but maybe when money isnt as much an issue.

billybob_jcv
10-10-2011, 6:04 PM
I think the most annoying thing about Glock fans is that they assume everyone knows what every Glock model number means. I can't tell you how many WTS ads I've seen that just say "Glock XX $yyy". Now I'm sure all of you know exactly what caliber, barrel length, capacity, etc is in every single Glock model number - but I sure don't! 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, etc, etc, etc - it makes my brain hurt. You jokers make me google too much.... :D

jermedic
10-10-2011, 6:27 PM
I personally couldn't care less what people think. I love my Glocks and my G36 has been on my hip every day for the past few years. I have total faith in all of my glocks. That being said, I have many other guns that I like just as much or more, but I like the glock platform for my ccw gun because it works for ME. It might not work for other people. I am one of the wierdos who actually like the grip angle and my G36 is the gun I shoot most accurately. I don't own a 1911, but do enjoy shooting friend's 1911s and don't have anything against the 1911 platform. I just prefer not to have a thumb safety on a carry gun. Some of my range guns have safeties, but they are range guns not a SD tool. The people who bash any given gun get annoying. What works for me doesn't work for others. That's why there are 100s of choices out there.

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 6:42 PM
Its more preference, but the safety is a big improvement practically. I also view the inset slide as a improvement just for the fact of getting the bore height lower. Feed ramp is a bit longer, and seems to more reliably feed HP ammo, but that's comparing to older (mk II and older) Hipowers.

Dont get me wrong, I love hipowers, but for the money I think the CZ is a much better gun. Id love to get a nice bi-tone MkIII, but maybe when money isnt as much an issue.

I see your point, the new Hi-Powers from Browning are $400 more than the cz-75 on a bad day. More gun for less money. Good point.

Lumpia is sarap!
10-10-2011, 7:02 PM
Everyone has their prejudices.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/3c7ad7b4.jpg

shooting4life
10-10-2011, 8:09 PM
Most of the guns I own are never going to see a battle or get tossed around as I can not get a ccw so wanting guns that look nice means I don't own a glock. I get what's so great about them. But everything they are great at is not something that I need that cannot be found in something else that looks/feels nicer. If I ever got a ccw then I would probably would end up with something plastic. Until then I'll keep my steel guns.

Dark Mod
10-10-2011, 8:48 PM
For some reason i never bought a glock, Its been on the list forever, but everytime i get enough cash to buy a new gun i ended up wanting something else just a little bit more. Maybe after christmas ill finally pick one up, would love something in 10mm

bohoki
10-10-2011, 10:45 PM
i had this crazy conspiracy theory that there was some kind of solvent gas that could be sprayed at you and instanly turn your gun to goo

have an old glock 17 and 21 and they keep shufflin shufflin

scootle
10-11-2011, 2:31 AM
the reason is simple... this is the internet... someone somewhere will hate something... always.

PS why doesn't that Glock Hello Kitty picture show up more often these days... is it lost and gone forever?

infernl
10-11-2011, 6:01 AM
Although Jonn Browning has been gone many years Glock is not even a pimple on his ***** .

And more opinion, having nothing to do with anything...

ZX-10R
10-11-2011, 6:28 AM
Most people who buy Glock hear it from others...Spreads. It is a great gun do not get me wrong. I hate it too...However, most of the people who buy it did not try other guns as well. I shot a glock in 9mm and 45...Absolutely terrible gun in my hands. FNP-9 and M&P 45 were better shooters in my hand. Thus I cannot ever recommend a glock based on my experience. I will recommend a 1911 because those things are just crazy accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I will also recommend the M&P series and FNPs...I also like Rugers P series, M9/ 92FS, and Kimbers...glocks don't work for me and you should never buy a gun just because a bunch of internet guys are telling you it is the end all do all. Instead do your research and get opinions from those that have shot the gun you are looking for...Also someone who safe queens a glock or a gun for that matter is someone you should not take advice from. Get yourself to a range and open your mind to other makes. In the end though, put a glock side by side with a 1911 or m9/ 92 series and you will see it is the ugliest gun out there that sells to tons to fanboys. Keep it real ladies.

Fishslayer
10-11-2011, 6:49 AM
No hate for the pistol itself, or the users in general.

It's just that the G**** fanboiz get really annoying when they jump into every single thread with "You should get a G****!" regardless the topic. I swear you could ask "Which .22 revolver should I get?" and somebody's gonna chime in with "You should save a bit more an get a G****."

FWIW some of the high end 1911 and Dillon fanbois can be the same way.

HighLander51
10-11-2011, 6:53 AM
I only had one gun I own FTF...my glock 17. The striker channel can and does get filty and than the gun can have light strikes, so enough about how reliable they are, they simply AREN'T that reliable.

And they gotta have the worst trigger in the world, besides a Taurus Millenium that is.

Never had one light strike running my G21 in over 100,000 rounds, and only completely cleaned it twice a year. You had an ammo problem, not a Glock problem.

HK-40
10-11-2011, 6:53 AM
I keep reading forums where everyone is going back and forth hating on glocks? Whats the deal? It goes bang.. I am not a huge glock fan, for polymer I prefer my xd, but Its still A great gun and it shoots. I have shot plenty and they are great. Its even easier to clean than my 1911, which I love by the way. whats the deal?

Please no replies that will piss people off, only funny posts and informative becasue I really am confused.

I own 3 Glocks. Issued one too.
If You need a handgun as WEAPON, Glock is great.
I do have a soft spot for my HK's too......:)

JaeOne3345
10-11-2011, 7:29 AM
All the stupid *****ing about polymer vs steel..the proper thing to do is just own both! Duh!

I own a G34 and I also own an STI 2011. I love 'em both!

Foriegn power
10-11-2011, 7:32 AM
The general people hate on the original (thus Glock) since the competitors only imitate.

Delta-9
10-11-2011, 7:58 AM
Polymer in general looks and feels cheap. Maybe if they put some kind of coating or finish over the polymer, it wouldn't look and feel so bad. And as far as why I don't like Glocks, they're ugly and the squarish grip doesn't feel comfortable in my hands.

ZombieTactics
10-11-2011, 8:06 AM
People have far too much emotional investment in product choices.

JaeOne3345
10-11-2011, 8:27 AM

Exactly. I wonder how many actually shoot their guns anyway.

Festus
10-11-2011, 8:35 AM
It wasn't until after I got my Glock 19 that I started reading references to Glock and Tupperware. That got me thinking, so I thought I'd do some myth busting. Tried loading some carrots into my 19 and put it in the fridge. The carrots didn't stay fresh and crispy, so I ain't buying the Tupperware business! Nope.

I have a few poymer guns (not just Glocks), love those firearms. I also own an alloy frame gun. Love that one too.

scootle
10-11-2011, 8:41 AM
It wasn't until after I got my Glock 19 that I started reading references to Glock and Tupperware. That got me thinking, so I thought I'd do some myth busting. Tried loading some carrots into my 19 and put it in the fridge. The carrots didn't stay fresh and crispy, so I ain't buying the Tupperware business! Nope.

I have a few poymer guns (not just Glocks), love those firearms. I also own an alloy frame gun. Love that one too.

like tupperware though... Glocks are dishwasher safe! (i kid you not...)

QuarterBoreGunner
10-11-2011, 9:03 AM

And there you have it.

99.9% of all the above posts can be and should be amended to include the words "In my opinion..."

There's no 'best' handgun for everyone; preference is entirely subjective.

Fishslayer
10-11-2011, 9:12 AM

Yer gonna need to be gettin' those veggies & whatnots outta yer guns.;)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/THE_Fishslayer/OSR/glocks-in-the-dishwasher.jpg

hkdad
10-11-2011, 9:12 AM
And there you have it.

99.9% of all the above posts can be and should be amended to include the words "In my opinion..."

There's no 'best' handgun for everyone; preference is entirely subjective.

what are you talking about? Glock is the first and last handgun i will own! i heard it from the internet...it can shoot UFO's from the sky! Glock is the best! forget the rest!! sometimes it can blow up, but i will take the risk because the majority are shooting it! :D:43::D

QuarterBoreGunner
10-11-2011, 9:16 AM
what are you talking about? Glock is the first and last handgun i will own! i heard it from the internet...it can shoot UFO's from the sky! Glock is the best! forget the rest!! sometimes it can blow up, but i will take the risk because the majority are shooting it! :D:43::D

Don't forget that the parts that aren't made of plastic, are made of PORCELAIN!! It won't show up on x-ray machines! And it costs more than you make in a month!

Apec
10-11-2011, 9:17 AM
I did get a killer deal on a full size USP 45 (waiting for it to arrive at the FFL). I generally dislike polymer guns simply because I'm a materials snob, nor am I a fan of the form vs function balance in most polymer guns.

I've played with the idea of getting a Glock, but I've convinced myself that there are other guns I'll allocate the funds to first. After all, the Glocks will always be available.

hkdad
10-11-2011, 9:20 AM
Don't forget that the parts that aren't made of plastic, are made of PORCELAIN!! It won't show up on x-ray machines! And it costs more than you make in a month!

oh really? i have a flight in a week. i'll try to bring it pass the airport security, i bet they will not notice it because i believe everything i read on the internet. :rofl2:

stormy_clothing
10-11-2011, 9:23 AM
Glock has produced the single best pistol of all time and people that can never achieve anything like that in a million years want to say anything they can to make themselves feel better about there lack of accomplishments.

game over

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

dfletcher
10-11-2011, 9:25 AM
I don't hate the things, I put them in the same category as Springfield and Beretta and whoever else makes the poly framed guns. I just don't care for poly framed guns. I'd probably buy a little Glock in 10mm if it had an alloy frame though, but other than that they don't interest me all that much. So far as durability goes, will a Glock or any other poly framed gun be working and look good in 80 or 100 years? There are plenty of 1903s, 1911s and 1917 revolvers out there with still many, many years ahead of them - will there be functioning 100 year old Glocks & XDs?

Not that it will make any difference to us now, but I am curious since it was mentioned.

hkdad
10-11-2011, 9:28 AM
Glock has produced the single best pistol of all time and people that can never achieve anything like that in a million years want to say anything they can to make themselves feel better about there lack of accomplishments.

game over

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

i bet you drive a car with a 5 star safety rating. because everything below that is unacceptable! :D for those who don't..... time to trade in your buckets!

Festus
10-11-2011, 9:34 AM
HAHAHA!! :rofl2: Hilarious!

I'll have to try that! Probably should do a field strip, though, make sure to get those little bits of carrot and broccali.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/THE_Fishslayer/OSR/glocks-in-the-dishwasher.jpg

billybob_jcv
10-11-2011, 9:57 AM
I don't hate the things, I put them in the same category as Springfield and Beretta and whoever else makes the poly framed guns. I just don't care for poly framed guns. I'd probably buy a little Glock in 10mm if it had an alloy frame though, but other than that they don't interest me all that much. So far as durability goes, will a Glock or any other poly framed gun be working and look good in 80 or 100 years? There are plenty of 1903s, 1911s and 1917 revolvers out there with still many, many years ahead of them - will there be functioning 100 year old Glocks & XDs?

Not that it will make any difference to us now, but I am curious since it was mentioned.

The environmentalists keep telling us that the plastics in the landfills will last for at least 10,000 years... :p

Ukiahgunnut
10-11-2011, 10:04 AM
The environmentalists keep telling us that the plastics in the landfills will last for at least 10,000 years... :p

While it will last for a good while, I have doubts about 10,000 years. Some might but not all. And what does this have to do with this discussion?

UGN

stormy_clothing
10-11-2011, 10:06 AM
i bet you drive a car with a 5 star safety rating. because everything below that is unacceptable! :D for those who don't..... time to trade in your buckets!

wtf are you talking about the glock would have a 0 star safety rating if you listen to all of the garbage people say - either they blow up or you shoot yourself drawing from your holster. Don't try to place your nancy on me sucka.

I drive a simple and reliable Honda sports car that has in excess of 100,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. Like my glock with rounds actually.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Ah, the infamous Die Hard 2 referrance. Been a while since I've seen/heard/read that one come up. When John McClain says, "That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. That's a porcelain gun made in Germany." Everybody and their brother went looking for the mythical Glock 7 after that movie came out.

yf8sC_1deyM

EvXq-loBnA4&NR

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 10:15 AM
wtf are you talking about the glock would have a 0 star safety rating if you listen to all of the garbage people say - either they blow up or you shoot yourself drawing from your holster. Don't try to place your nancy on me sucka.

I drive a simple and reliable Honda sports car that has in excess of 100,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. Like my glock with rounds actually.

Keyboard commando nonsense.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM

I'd laugh too, right up until somebody closes the door and turns the damn dishwasher on. One of those is not a Glock by the way.

scarville
10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
The biggest problem with Glocks is some of the people who own them.

hkdad
10-11-2011, 10:39 AM

easy fanboy....:rolleyes: i own glocks too! just having a lil fun here... time to take your high blood pressure medications!!!:facepalm:

hkdad
10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Keyboard commando nonsense.

nope...fanboy nonsense...:D

hkdad
10-11-2011, 10:42 AM
The biggest problem with Glocks is some of the people who own them.

B.I.N.G.O! :thumbsup: spell "bias" please? :43:

ZombieTactics
10-11-2011, 11:05 AM
In truth, according to the well-understood principle "circles of influence", most people buy things to feed an emotional need more than anything else. Their choice of gun "says something" about them ... regardless of the choice. They want to be a part of something, and they are deceived into thinking they can buy a sense of accomplishment instead of achieving it.

The fact that a lot of fanboi-ism revolves around 1911 and Glock pistols (and some revolvers) is more a reflection of an emotional commitment - in many cases - than anything else. This is owing more to the romance or mystique built up around these guns than any analysis of fitness-for-purpose.

hkdad
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
In truth, according to the well-understood principle "circles of influence", most people buy things to feed an emotional need more than anything else. Their choice of gun "says something" about them ... regardless of the choice. They want to be a part of something, and they are deceived into thinking they can buy a sense of accomplishment instead of achieving it.

The fact that a lot of fanboi-ism revolves around 1911 and Glock pistols (and some revolvers) is more a reflection of an emotional commitment - in many cases - than anything else. This is owing more to the romance or mystique built up around these guns than any analysis of fitness-for-purpose.

very well said sir!

billybob_jcv
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM
While it will last for a good while, I have doubts about 10,000 years. Some might but not all. And what does this have to do with this discussion?

UGN

Easy there Turbo - that little smiley with the tongue sticking out signifies a joke. Not a *good* joke - but I was in a hurry...

BTW, by the time *any* thread gets to page 4, the probability of still being on-topic is pretty darn low. I won't even bother bringing-up the fact that discussing the possibility of whether there will be functioning 100 year old Glocks as part of this thread also seems a bit off the main road... :rolleyes:

QuarterBoreGunner
10-11-2011, 11:32 AM
BTW, by the time *any* thread gets to page 4, the probability of still being on-topic is pretty darn low.

There should be a name for this, like Godwin's Rule (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) or Poe's Law (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Poe%27s_law).

Unfortunately 'billybob_jcv's Law' doesn't have the right ring to it.

em9sredbeam
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I figured this thread would go on for a bit when I posted it, but four pages? HAHAHA. Guns were made to be shot, Glock, Kimber, S&W. There should be no such things as safe queens. Well taken care of is fine, but unfired? Blasphemy. How can someone hate on something that goes bang?

Dhena81
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
What you say your having problems with your slide not locking back on your sig well you should have got a Glock

My 1911 had a FTE you should have got a Glock

Should have got a Glock
Should have got a Glock
Should have got a Glock
Should have got a Glock

My Glock is Jamming and having FTF and all kinds of problems what ammo are you using its bad ammo Glocks eat anything.

I have one gun its a Glock I've never shot anything else they are the best you should have bought one.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 12:51 PM
What you say your having problems with your slide not locking back on your sig well you should have got a Glock

My 1911 had a FTE you should have got a Glock

Should have got a Glock
Should have got a Glock
Should have got a Glock
Should have got a Glock

My Glock is Jamming and having FTF and all kinds of problems what ammo are you using its bad ammo Glocks eat anything.

I have one gun its a Glock I've never shot anything else they are the best you should have bought one.

Hear that sound? Off in the distance? It's the Wambulance!

Kidding of course. I always try to help people diagnose the actual problems they are having with their guns. Semi-autos work a certain way, the same user error that can screw up one screws up them all. Bad ammo screws up a Glock just as quick as it does a sig. Same goes with limp wristing and every other silly thing somebody can think to do to it.

The only time I would ever say "should have got a Glock" and even then I would only think it unless asked, is when somebody is clearly struggling and falling behind in training because the complexity of their gun is tripping them up. The guy with the Beretta 92, who can't get both shots off in the time alotted or misses by a mile when he does, and then is still trying to get his safety on (because the assistant instructor had to stop him from holstering it with the safety off) and gun holstered while the rest of the class is already completing the next drill and we are on day four of training when that stuff should be second nature already. That new guy clearly needs a gun that is easier to learn on because the mechnics of his gun are causing him serious issues (extremely common experience). The guy with the Beretta 92 who is keeping up with the class and doing great bought the right gun (for him). Odds are the second guy has been through the course or one like it before and is only just now worked out the kinks and able to keep up with the training that the Glock and Glock Clone users can master the first time around. Seen it time and time again.

I would never throw it in somebody's face. I would try and help them solve the issues they have with the gun they have - it was a really big investment and I too want them to get the most out of it. Only if asked if there was something they would have an easier time with would I bring up that they should rent a Glock and see if things go smoother for them.

When people have trouble with a Glock, and just can't seem to get the hang of it (especially when it comes to marksmanship) and they've invested a considerably amount time and effort trying to, then I bring up trying a 1911. The 1911 has its own quirks, and is not my first choice for a new shooter, but if the Glock and Glock clones aren't working then it is a good choice. The trigger is incredible, and once you get used to the extra step of working the thumb safety is fairly easy to learn on thanks to the same pull every time and very short reset. I just try and discourage them from doing their own gunsmithing. The leadning cause in Failure to Anything is a 1911 is a user added part. The next being failure to provide enough resistance for the gun to properly cycle (limp wrist/elbow/arm).

Festus
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I like Glocks cuz they're kinda ugly. Kinda like a pug. Who can resist that face?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/garbanzoman/eBay%20TGP/pug_dog_1.jpg

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 1:07 PM
Even uglier, like a French Bulldog...I want one.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1221474650139&id=370490ca11af6239a2f7c42f4097eef0

InGrAM
10-11-2011, 1:09 PM
Not ugly at all

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9843/120410marion.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/120410marion.jpg/)

hkdad
10-11-2011, 1:15 PM
who is ugly???

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/ugly_dog_01_560px.jpg

Dhena81
10-11-2011, 1:37 PM
Hear that sound? Off in the distance? It's the Wambulance!

Kidding of course. I always try to help people diagnose the actual problems they are having with their guns. Semi-autos work a certain way, the same user error that can screw up one screws up them all. Bad ammo screws up a Glock just as quick as it does a sig. Same goes with limp wristing and every other silly thing somebody can think to do to it.

The only time I would ever say "should have got a Glock" and even then I would only think it unless asked, is when somebody is clearly struggling and falling behind in training because the complexity of their gun is tripping them up. The guy with the Beretta 92, who can't get both shots off in the time alotted or misses by a mile when he does, and then is still trying to get his safety on (because the assistant instructor had to stop him from holstering it with the safety off) and gun holstered while the rest of the class is already completing the next drill and we are on day four of training when that stuff should be second nature already. That new guy clearly needs a gun that is easier to learn on because the mechnics of his gun are causing him serious issues (extremely common experience). The guy with the Beretta 92 who is keeping up with the class and doing great bought the right gun (for him). Odds are the second guy has been through the course or one like it before and is only just now worked out the kinks and able to keep up with the training that the Glock and Glock Clone users can master the first time around. Seen it time and time again.

I would never throw it in somebody's face. I would try and help them solve the issues they have with the gun they have - it was a really big investment and I too want them to get the most out of it. Only if asked if there was something they would have an easier time with would I bring up that they should rent a Glock and see if things go smoother for them.

When people have trouble with a Glock, and just can't seem to get the hang of it (especially when it comes to marksmanship) and they've invested a considerably amount time and effort trying to, then I bring up trying a 1911. The 1911 has its own quirks, and is not my first choice for a new shooter, but if the Glock and Glock clones aren't working then it is a good choice. The trigger is incredible, and once you get used to the extra step of working the thumb safety is fairly easy to learn on thanks to the same pull every time and very short reset. I just try and discourage them from doing their own gunsmithing. The leadning cause in Failure to Anything is a 1911 is a user added part. The next being failure to provide enough resistance for the gun to properly cycle (limp wrist/elbow/arm).

I started off shooting a Glock and I shoot them really well I love them for more than just a few reasons. The main reason I love them is I understand how they work and how to repair them. I think a lot of people need to understand their weapons more and how to diagnose them and what better and easier handgun platform than a Glock to learn how to do just that. I for one like the stock Glock 5.5lb trigger and one of my favorite things about a Glock is the reset among other things. My post might have seemed like I was sippin the hateraid but I'm far from it I'm more of a fat chick fun to ride don't let your friends see you on one kind of guy :eek:

Dhena81
10-11-2011, 1:39 PM
who is ugly???

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/ugly_dog_01_560px.jpg

Is that a Chuppa kabra that's just mean lol

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 1:45 PM
Any time I need help staying on the diet I can just look at that pic.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 1:46 PM
I started off shooting a Glock and I shoot them really well I love them for more than just a few reasons. The main reason I love them is I understand how they work and how to repair them. I think a lot of people need to understand their weapons more and how to diagnose them and what better and easier handgun platform than a Glock to learn how to do just that. I for one like the stock Glock 5.5lb trigger and one of my favorite things about a Glock is the reset among other things. My post might have seemed like I was sippin the hateraid but I'm far from it I'm more of a fat chick fun to ride don't let your friends see you on one kind of guy :eek:

But she looks alright in the right light. ;)

hkdad
10-11-2011, 2:09 PM
Is that a Chuppa kabra that's just mean lol

i'm not sure what it is but, i would run away very quick if i see it in person...:taz:

billybob_jcv
10-11-2011, 5:01 PM
Hey! Where did you get that picture of my mother-in-law????

kedenimar
10-11-2011, 5:34 PM
back in the very early 1990's when i first considered buying a gun, popular mechanics ran a cover story on the glock.....dont know if aynone is familiar with that article, but it pretty much sold me on the brand. g17 was my first gun, which i still have. the gun has multiple thousands of rounds thru it, the only problems have been from under-powered reloads i bought in the very beginning. i now have 3 glocks, 2 of which are 17ls, and i am really happy with them. i am just as happy with the 2 early 90s rossi revolvers i own, one a snubby in .38spl, the other a 4" bbl in .357 mag. would like to eventually add a g26 to the group, but cash is limited right now, so it will be awhile for that. 'nuf said.

Bhobbs
10-11-2011, 5:42 PM
The problem is when many people think of polymer, they think of cheap, crappy, flimsy plastic parts that break easy. Now combine that idea with a few thousand psi in someone's hand and they get nervous. Then add in the myth that Glocks will KB if you look at them the wrong way, stir well and you have Glock hateraid.

Fishslayer
10-11-2011, 7:39 PM
But she looks alright after a few beers. ;)

Fixed it... ;)

Not ugly at all

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9843/120410marion.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/120410marion.jpg/)

Love those feisty little guys. We had some at the dog park & they love nothing better than to raise he!! in the "big dog" area! :D

Synergy
10-11-2011, 8:10 PM
I have no problem with plastic guns! Yes my 1911's sometimes get jealous!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/USP.jpg

jonzer77
10-11-2011, 8:20 PM
Just something about the feel of a steel gun makes me not like polymer guns. When people say the reason to get a glock is because of their reliability, yet my steel guns aren't unreliable, it makes a easy decision. I am not talking bad about glocks, just stating my personal preference.

Irv
10-11-2011, 8:49 PM
I enjoy my polymers. Wilson Combat KZ45 and HK45c. They been perfect without a hitch.

Sunday
10-11-2011, 8:54 PM
I rented a Glock when they first came to the market and I really liked it better than any 9mm I previously shot. Last Sunday I tried a Glock 9mm at the range and still liked it better than any 9mm I have ever shot.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 9:01 PM
I have no problem with plastic guns! Yes my 1911's sometimes get jealous!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/USP.jpg

I owned a USP Compact for about a year. I liked it. The magazine release took some getting used to, but it was not too difficult. Mine had the V1 trigger pack. So I could carry cocked and locked. Downside was that once in every 50 or so draws I would get a little to eager on the safety selector and push too far and decock the gun...thus defeating the purpose. Still, nice gun. USP's are arguably my 3rd favorite platform that have at least a years worth of training on. Some others sound great on paper, but until I get some serious trigger time on them the USP keeps it spot on my go to roster. Still like Glocks better, but in the DA/SA world the USP would be my first choice.

Some old pictures I dug up for USP lovers to enjoy...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/HK%20USP/HKUSP40.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%20AR-15s/My_Collection.jpg

Javi
10-11-2011, 9:18 PM
On the other hand, some Glock fans I can do without. Any thread on any polymer gun gets crapped up with "buy a Glock instead, everything else sucks". Which is why some people get irritated enough to bash Glocks, more because of the fans than the gun.

I'm catching up on the entire thread right now (I stopped at post #3 when it first started) but yeah, that's how I feel most of the time. I wanted my first handgun to be anything but one of those haha but I have much respect for them. My cousin's Glock 23 was the first handgun I'd ever shot and the angle didn't bother me, I like how his gun feels and how it looks. I still think most of the full sized ones are ugly as sin :D As far as my next semi-auto goes, I'm looking at the..smaller version of a Glock 19, Ruger SR9c and S&W M&P9c for a future CCW type handgun.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 9:46 PM
I'm catching up on the entire thread right now (I stopped at post #3 when it first started) but yeah, that's how I feel most of the time. I wanted my first handgun to be anything but one of those haha but I have much respect for them. My cousin's Glock 23 was the first handgun I'd ever shot and the angle didn't bother me, I like how his gun feels and how it looks. I still think most of the full sized ones are ugly as sin :D As far as my next semi-auto goes, I'm looking at the..smaller version of a Glock 19, Ruger SR9c and S&W M&P9c for a future CCW type handgun.

I think the Glocks have gotten better looking in recent years. My Glock 17 is a Gen2 and is definately not pretty. No where near as pretty as my 1911. But looks are not why I own it, shoot it, or love it. In addition to all the reasons I said before, she has history. She is a Washington State Trooper trade-in. Picked her up for a steal when I had next to nothing in the budget and needed a fun project gun. Was in considerably better shape than I thought. Carried lots, shot little.

If you are truly planning on carrying it might want to consider the baby Glocks like the Glock 26. It is easier to conceal with less clothing. I can conceal my Glock 17 in the winter. Come summer time on a 104 day, that t-shirt needs to be pretty darn baggy. I have the same problem with a Glock 19. Mostly the length of the grip is an issue. It is print happy. But it definately can be done. You just have to be concious about how you dress.

However, if you only occassionaly plan to carry and will be shooting it often, then the midsize gun makes sense to me. Easier to control. Fatigue sets in slower so less of a chance of limp wristing half way through a four day course, etc.

My Gen 2 Glock 17...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%20Glocks/GLOCK_SELL.jpg

A Gen 2 Glock 19 I used to own and refer to above...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%20Glocks/Glock19-2.jpg

oso grande
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=Briancnelson;
[/QUOTE]

I feel the same about Dillon reloading equipment.

oldsw20
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I like Glocks too, but my first gun will be a Beretta 92FS M9.

Javi
10-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Eef, yeah I guess they got better looking gen3 & up haha. My cousin's 23 is a gen. 3.

I saw all 3 of the guns I mentioned at the gunshow this past Sunday. They seem like the perfect size for inside the waistband. I'm sure I saw the Glock 26, the grip looked tiny without a magazine in it. I think my FNP-9 is around the size of a 19, probably wouldn't be bad with a jacket over it but I don't own a holster so who knows.

Omil
10-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey! Where did you get that picture of my mother-in-law????

:rofl2:

Ultimate
10-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Just because some people are not so hot on Glocks doesn't mean they don't like polymers. Maybe you jumped the gun on the assumption?

LaLa
10-12-2011, 12:27 AM
I can appreciate all guns but I definitely love my Glocks... they're just super reliable. <3

Rob454
10-12-2011, 6:32 AM
I don't hate Glocks. i hate polymer framed guns. I had a Ruger P345 and while it was a good gun it felt unbalanced. Most polymer guns I've shot feel unbalanced to me. And ive shot Glocks Rugers Smiths and a few others and none felt "right" to me. its probably just me since I never shot one for more than a few outings and it was simply because they felt "weird".

Lc17smp
10-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Ugly guns need lovin too.......just won't be from me.

scarville
10-13-2011, 7:03 AM
Polymer doesn't have to be ugly
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/103038_01_md.jpg
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_LCR.jpg
http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Taurus-Protector-Polymer-Revolver-2.jpg
:tt2:

tacticalcity
10-13-2011, 7:33 AM
Ugly guns need lovin too.......just won't be from me.

I felt the same way until I got some practical experience with one. Changed my outlook forever.

tacticalcity
10-13-2011, 7:35 AM
I don't hate Glocks. i hate polymer framed guns. I had a Ruger P345 and while it was a good gun it felt unbalanced. Most polymer guns I've shot feel unbalanced to me. And ive shot Glocks Rugers Smiths and a few others and none felt "right" to me. its probably just me since I never shot one for more than a few outings and it was simply because they felt "weird".

For carry polymer frame guns are nice because they are lighter. You'll notice most old retired law enforcement guys have really bad backs from all the gear they had to carry all those years on their duty belt. Granted the gun was only part of the problem. My point is, a lighter gun is a bonus if you have to lug it around all day long. As much as I love my 1911, it has a steel frame and is heavy as a ton of brings. Not the most comfortable gun to carry weight wise.

penciljockey
10-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah M&P and XD-M's are prettier more refined versions of the Glock.

em9sredbeam
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Just because some people are not so hot on Glocks doesn't mean they don't like polymers. Maybe you jumped the gun on the assumption?

Nope, just responding with curiosity to 2 posts in a row filled with haterade that I read. Plus my question wasn't "Am I jumping the gun and assuming?" was it..

chrisf
10-13-2011, 5:50 PM
I dont hate on glocks. I just dislike SOME of the owners. People there NOT gods gift to handgun enthusiasts. There kinda like apple people (please see signature) or people who drive priuses.

Sturnovik
10-13-2011, 6:21 PM
I love them, just wish they gave the option for no finger Grooves. They fit just fine, but without them it'd fit better. Still love my Gen 3, I'll never sell it.

five.five-six
10-13-2011, 6:25 PM

^^ that, glocks are some of the best cheep guns out there.... but it's just a cheep gun, and the fan-boys get so excited if you refer to them as anything other than the greatest marvel of engineering mankind has ever known

five.five-six
10-13-2011, 6:27 PM
I dont hate on glocks. I just dislike SOME of the owners. People there NOT gods gift to handgun enthusiasts.

the difference is that apples seem to be a cut above the rest

nicoroshi
10-13-2011, 6:27 PM
I like GLOCK because they always go BANG when I want them to, and after more than 7500 rounds down the pipe of my G21SF, and even more down my G17 they have NEVER failed me in any way.
I don't care if they are the most ugly thing on the planet to some people.

Something about any machine that functions flawlessly is beautiful to me.:D

Shellshocker66
10-13-2011, 7:21 PM
I love my Glocks.. My G22 is so ugly I won't ever post a picture of it (beat to hell) but it always goes BANG. I actually thought about sending it back to Glock for a refinishing (which is pretty cheap for anyone needing a refresh on their Glocks) but it's like why bother.

Now my only problem with Glocks is which one to purchase next (yay got my GSSF card today and now have a discount coupon).

Someday I'm going to try a 1911 again. Shot one once and didn't like it at all. But I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt and try something a second time.

Synergy
10-13-2011, 7:23 PM
I like Glocks too, but my first gun will be a Beretta 92FS M9.

enjoy! :43:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/Newslide_2.jpg